• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Given Wednesday w/Bill Simmons |OT| Grantland Died For This- Premieres June 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
the opening interview segment was great. Having multiple guests together works well. The 2nd segment was rougher. Bill clearly knows very little about MMA, and Rogan is the wrong guy for him to interview from that aspect. Also Rogan seemed sedated.

devilhawk

Thought the first interview was really good. If they are going to go almost entirely with the interviews, however, I am not going to watch the show regularly. I will just tune after I hear about an intriguing interview.

I'm on this every week for sure. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's pretty much what I expected out of a Bill Simmons tv show.

First interview was great, and his UFC monologue was good too. But his interview with Joe Rogan was a bit insubstantial. He's not really big into MMA coverage so yeah it was basic questions. I had a really good laugh at the Jon Jones discussion in light of today's news though lmao.

And also I bet the smarks were like this:
bfl.gif

When Joe Rogan said CM Punk "looked very athletic, like he works out"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Watched my first "live" episode woohoo! Guess people weren't that interested by it since I'm the first one posting. :p I found it pretty entertaining, like on the level of a decent PTI which is good enough for me. I feel like they're really stifled by the 30m format though. I wouldn't really have wanted to see more of the segments that they did have but just feel like the whole vibe and approach of the show is altered because they're aiming more for YouTube clips (not corny ones, mind you, but little digestible 3m things) than a fully satisfying show on its own. He's getting good guests though and it's still more than good enough for me.

TripOpt55

Oh man. I love Aaron Rodgers. Getting him for pretty much the whole episode was sweet. Opening/closing segments were solid, but not great to me I guess.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Munn I'm guessing he expressed a desire to not get into it, though Simmons isn't really one to usually ask about relationships anyway (though he'll certainly talk about them; Munn-Rodgers he's talked about a ton though not exactly in appropriate ways) so he may just not have been interested.

His brother I'm guessing that line of discussion fell victim to the shorter format, because that's right up Bill's alley.

Kwhit10

Munn I'm guessing he expressed a desire to not get into it, though Simmons isn't really one to usually ask about relationships anyway (though he'll certainly talk about them; Munn-Rodgers he's talked about a ton though not exactly in appropriate ways) so he may just not have been interested.

His brother I'm guessing that line of discussion fell victim to the shorter format, because that's right up Bill's alley.

I told my wife Rodgers would be one since she watches the Bachelorette, but she said they probably can't talk about him since the show is still being aired.

Klocker

Oh my guy this guy/show is so boring... I'm out.

His demeanor and delivery are lame enough but his opinions and topics and interview style are horrible as well. imo

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
What's amazing is that not only do I like the show, my wife does too. I don't know how BS did it but he did.

NYR

Really don't like the direction the show took this week, not enough sports, too much acting junk you get on almost any other talk show. Talk to these people about Sports, not one lousy sketch and question!

ryseing

So the show switched up its format a bit this week. Very short monologue and the bulk of the time was spent with JJ Redick/Lamorne Morris discussing the Dream Team and with Caitlyn Jenner discussing the Olympics. Plus a S/O to Bartolo Colon. Might be worth watching for those of you who gave up.

Interesting that Caitlyn doesn't think the Olympics should be used for political causes. I have to disagree there. The most memorable moment from the Olympics in my mind is the black glove in Mexico City.

Interesting that Caitlyn doesn't think the Olympics should be used for political causes. I have to disagree there. The most memorable moment from the Olympics in my mind is the black glove in Mexico City.

This. The personal account of her transition was very powerful, but the other portions of the interview just demonstrate that her political views are as repugnant as ever.

Ralemont

not me
I know I'm playing catch up, but I just watched ep 2 and thought the Gladwell/Cuban arguments were great. Rare to see two guests disagree so often and still remain civil and friendly. Thought both had good points too. And ofc Hader being Hader. A+.

So the show switched up its format a bit this week. Very short monologue and the bulk of the time was spent with JJ Redick/Lamorne Morris discussing the Dream Team and with Caitlyn Jenner discussing the Olympics. Plus a S/O to Bartolo Colon. Might be worth watching for those of you who gave up.

Not to mention Jesse Owens, Munich, and the Korean flag.

Olympics is not just a sporting event, and it shouldn't be treated as such

StMeph

I tried out all of the current episodes available and am kind of mixed about it.

I like the more laid-back podcasty vibe to everything, but the segments feel weirdly paced. I don't know if that's on the editor or the format, but some segments don't feel like they go long enough, and other segments kind of drag. Bill Simmons works better when he's interacting with others, but less so when he's monologuing to the camera. It's just not as interesting for TV, and would probably work better in article or podcast form.

TripOpt55

I feel like this show is at its best in the longer one-on-one interviews. Especially when you check out some of the extra stuff that doesn't make the episode.

Gigglepoo

This was my first episode. I don't know if I'll be checking it out again. Obviously, Glazer is a dingus, but the Gladwell/Smith interview didn't really work either. Because all three people were on the players side, they just attacked the league for 20 minutes.

I don't know. I love his podcasts and columns but I'm not sure the show was a great idea.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This was my first episode. I don't know if I'll be checking it out again. Obviously, Glazer is a dingus, but the Gladwell/Smith interview didn't really work either. Because all three people were on the players side, they just attacked the league for 20 minutes.

I don't know. I love his podcasts and columns but I'm not sure the show was a great idea.
Stay in your lane Simmons, Mr. Stay in Your Lane!

Yea I keep watching for a glimmer of hope (jonah hill was pretty good) and this show keeps giving duds.

I can not see this getting renewed

Eh, HBO has invested in Bill on multiple fronts (they are the sole initial investor in The Ringer), and the show is doing pretty well across all forms of viewership (including repeats, on demand, GO/NOW). Shows like that are also super cheap to produce.

I don't think HBO will be in any hurry to kill it.

---------

Personally, I gave up after the first 3 or 4 eps, the format just doesn't play to Bill's strengths.

Glix

I really like Bills taste. The people he hired for Grantland were amazing.

I don't actually like his own work though.

Catching up on the last couple of eps. The Glazer segment was predictably terrible. The segment with DeMaurice Smith and Malcolm Gladwell was awesome. This is what this show needs to be every week. This is the kind of thing you're not seeing on ESPN or the regular sports network, which is what people go to HBO for. If AGW was like this every week it would really standout. Maybe Bill should pay Gladwell to be on every week. He really elevates the conversations and seeing his dialogue with guys like Smith is fantastic.

The saving grace for Bill might be that the show is probably dirt cheap to produce. I don't think even despite it struggling to find it's way, that HBO is really putting BIll to the fire this earlyon. This isn't "Luck" or "Vinyl" here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Holy shit. Feel bad for the people that came on just for the show but hopefully this is a lesson to Bill to stay his freaking lane like he likes to advise others to do. He is just flat-out not good in any visual medium. And it's not him physically or anything, it's just his visions for the medium clearly never work out. He's not moved on much from the old and terrible Simmons cartoon. They got completely screwed by matching up against the baseball playoffs, but best-case scenario it would have lasted a couple years and I really don't think it ever would have "found its footing" as none of Bill's other video ventures did either (in fact they usually got worse).

The podcasts are still solid though very formulaic at this point (he doesn't even have on random people to opine on pop culture and other things anymore, just people from staff) and I really think he could get back into writing with great success, but I just don't know that he has the drive anymore. When he mentioned on a pod about how Sean Payton must have gotten lazy (relative to his previously crazy work ethic) in his year off and how he felt the same it really answered a lot of questions for me.

No more JackO though pls. Sick of having to grit my teeth through #bothsidesarebad nonsense from Simmons who otherwise seems to want to embrace somewhat progressive thinking (if clumsily at times). Must be embarrassing for many of his writers who are trying to tackle complex social issues to listen to their boss sound like that.

Man, this must have been BAD for them to pull the plug that quickly. HBO has stuck with shittier shows for longer have they not?

Yeah it must have had zero traction on any metric that HBO cares about to can it this quickly. A show like that is very cheap to make, and they are invested in the Bill Simmons business elsewhere (he's developing for them and HBO is the sole initial investor in The Ringer).

Faddy

Banned
I think the bad ratings weren't the only issue. The show was taking up too much of Simmons time. If the Ringer is going to be a success he needs to actively contribute to it. Better choosing to kill one project now than be forced to kill two later. This is probably a blessing in disguise because Simmons was awful on TV. His act felt forced compared to his natural style that he presents on his podcasts (although the act seems to be creeping in there too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom