• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody Else Out There More Excited For The Upcoming Handheld Consoles....

GDGF

Soothsayer
....than they are for the upcoming home consoles? I know I am. I know that there aren't many hard facts known about the upcoming consoles, but still...

All I know is the NDS has me more hyped than I ever was for the GCN (and I was pretty damn hyped for the GCN) The feature set and the potential for new and inventive ways to play that will result from it have rekindled a bit of a creative spark (and have me seriously considering transfering to one of the many tech or art colleges that offer majors in game design)

Also, I find myself becoming more and more a casual gamer as time passes, and the NDS just seems like a natural fit. Maybe in time when more is known about the Revolution I'll feel the same excitement, but for now its NDS all the way.

So how about you? Would you take a PSP or NDS over one of the upcoming consoles? Could you see yourself satisfied as a portable gamer only? Are you currently playing your GBA more than your home console?

1,2,3 Go.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
yeah i'm more excited over the handhelds so far.. and as it turns out im going to be in japan for a few days in december this year so i can get me some sweet sweet DS action on the way through :p

id be more excited about the regular consoles coming up if i knew enough about them. but as it stands there's not a huge amount of info out (that i have found) on them so yeah its DS /PSP at the top of the list for now

arter_2

if u dont like it get out. and yes im am really excited for the handhelds, im such a hand held whore.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm only more excited about PSP than the next-gen consoles because it's coming out sooner, and I know more about it.
DS, I don't give a fuck about. It seems gimmicky and underpowered, and Nintendo is still using screens that use a lower res than their 8-bit console games.
I wish they'd put dual analog on PSP, though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>> im such a hand held whore.

Words you don't hear very often...<<<

...except in a massage parlor.

I'm the same way, I've always enjoyed handheld gaming over consoles. I really just like the feel of being able to play where I want when I want. Not to be confined inside the house all the time with the TV. One of my favorite things to do is just whip out my GB while sitting outside during a nice day. It's really fun.

So of course this means I'm WAY more hyped about the handhelds than the consoles, and like you I'm more hyped about the NDS over the PSP. While I hope to eventually get both, the NDS is the only one I see as more "economic" product. I just like how it has the decent battery life, backward compatibility, online games from Nintendo, and few other things. PLus I do think the second screen and touch idea is really nice and can't wait to see what more developers feel like doing with them. The PSP just doesn't please me enough to justify buying it at launch, plus the recent news of battery life leave more pessimistic than I ever was.

But anyways, I've always been a handheld gamer, and I always will be. Consoles just don't do it for me at all. Never did really. I buy them, and the games, but as far as playing them, hardly ever.

GDGF

Soothsayer
A debate? On a forum? Oh god no! If you don't want to participate neptunes then get your depressing ass looking avatar out of my thread, thanks.

Back to the show. Sorry for the interruption.

AniHawk

The PSP. You wont need it longer than a car ride or anything, and you can play PS2 quality games on it! The DS seems way too gimmicky with the touchscreen, microphone, and two screens too. I mean, whatever game supports all that probably won't be much fun.

I'm looking forward to the PSP though because it comes out before the PS3 too. And knowing Sony, the system will be able to connect to the PS3 in cool ways that haven't been thought of before. Also, I'd imagine a FF game on the system within a year or so. Maybe the fabled FFVII remake? Count me in.

Andy787

Banned
I'm much more excited for the DS and PSP than any of the next consoles, outside of the next Nintendo system. But I'm a handheld whore, as well.

TAJ

Pressure-sensitivity on the touch screen, a better top screen, and a case that wasn't so brick-like would probably make me want a DS.

Pimpbaa

I'd be more interested in the PSP if I knew it was gonna be relatively cheap. Also, I'd be looking forward to the NDS if nintendo spent their resources on more powerful hardware rather than the extra touchscreen (basically I want a new gameboy).

TAJ

>>>Im excited for PSP. Just look at it, sooo sexy<<<

The white one makes me hotter, though. Release it, Sony. I need it.

Nope, i'm interested in the PSP and somewhat interested in the DS. But it still doesn't take away from me not being a fan of handhelds. I'd gladly take the next round of consoles over either of those handhelds.

Grubdog

Banned
I'm not really interested in the PSP, it offers nothing new, but I am more interested in the DS than any other piece of hardware that I know is coming out. I can't wait to see more DS games.

TAJ

>>>30% interest PSP .. meh (battery)<<<

Battery life isn't as important to me as it was when I was younger, but what really makes this a non-issue for me is that my primary interest in PSP is the inevitable homebrew scene. Emulators would load off the Memory Stick initially, then run straight off the RAM the rest of the time. The UMD drive would never even spin up. Battery life for emu will likely be much closer to 10 hours than 3 hours.

Pimpbaa

TAJ said:
>>>30% interest PSP .. meh (battery)<<<

Battery life isn't as important to me as it was when I was younger, but what really makes this a non-issue for me is that my primary interest in PSP is the inevitable homebrew scene. Emulators would load off the Memory Stick initially, then run straight off the RAM the rest of the time. The UMD drive would never even spin up. Battery life for emu will likely be much closer to 10 hours than 3 hours.

WTF, psp is going to be open to homebrew programs? If so, my interest in the PSP has just shot up dramatically.

TAJ

>>>WTF, psp is going to be open to homebrew programs? If so, my interest in the PSP has just shot up dramatically.<<<

It may or may not be open to that, but MANY people are chomping at the bit to make it happen if Sony doesn't. It also wouldn't require the added expense of a special flash cart and linker kit like on Gameboy systems.
I don't think it would be dangerous for Sony to let it happen, though. Memory Sticks are way too expensive to make it worthwhile to play commercial PSP games off of them.

GigaDrive

Banned
yeah I'm excited about the DS and PSP, because they're both coming out in less than a year. the nextgen consoles are still barely on the horizon, not even visable. think of the dark night sky with the faintest hint of light coming from the east. its still nighttime.

with the new handhelds, its well past dawn, the night is gone, its very light outside, the sun is about to rise.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Well it's natural considering we know next to nothing about the 'upcoming' consoles.

But no I'm not excited about the upcoming handhelds. I dunno, portable gaming just doesn't jive with me.

Without any information at all on the new home consoles, it's not really possible to be very much in anticipation of them. Meanwhile, I've had my hands on the PSP and DS, and we know what they're going to offer...

TAJ

Gigadrive,
Did you name yourself after the GP32 Genesis/Megadrive emulator, or did you just come up with the same play on Megadrive as that software's author?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm a huge gadget whore. It's hard to describe, but holding something small and ultra high tech (like a new, slick Pocket PC) makes me all warm inside, and consoles, no matter how high tech they are, can't really provide that. Being unable to can't carry them with you, makes them less personal somehow... same as with PC, it sits there and belong more to a household than in belongs to you. As I've said, it's weird and hard to describe, but I know for a fact many people have the same feeling about various PDAs and high tech cellphones. I guess we're some kind of techno fetishists or something.

So yeah, bizarre as it may seem, I'm actually more excited about PSP than any upcoming home console.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not excited for any part of the next generation. I'm going to live off the GBA and GC for as long as possible.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I fear that being able to play GBA games on the DS will suck me in before there's enough quality content there. Despite myself, I want to buy the NES GBA and yet...yet...I know I shouldn't since the DS is going to launch this year. The whole keeping up part of the console scene/handheld scene is what drives me crazy. I can't help but feel that when most platforms reach their stride the push for higher technology is at hand. Just do more with what we have damn it!

my excitement for DS was high, and now its marginal/low after E3, as it seemed very gimmicky, and not really something that looks like fun to me.

my excitement for PSP is HUGE because of all the features and how awesome it is IMO, but the cost has killed my excitement, as I expect it to be very expensive.. if it magically comes in at $150-200$, then my excitement will once again shoot up like a boner and ill get one..

my excitement for xenon is orgasmically high, as i believe its coming next year, and i cant wait to see what the next gen of consoles can do.

Grubdog

Banned
DarthWufei said:
What? Both have new titles, what are you getting at?
Yeah but PSP titles are possible on PS2, and could have been done years ago, DS titles can't be done on any other gaming system, which is why i'm mainly excited for the DS, to see all the new ideas developers come up with, it should be very interesting.

Insertia

i'm pretty excited about PSP and honestly, it's the first time I've ever been excited about anything related to portable gaming, but I'm still more interested in console/pc gaming right now.

You know, I think the GBA SP will always have its place. Size, batterylife, games catalogue...

3D graphics aren't really important without a bigger screen, and a bigger screen has to mean a bigger system. None of the new systems are even comparable to the SP's size and weight. 3D games are really accessable at home and I'm just not feeling a major draw right now.

buck naked said:
You know, I think the GBA SP will always have its place. Size, batterylife, games catalogue...

whats not to place? The SP has got some a big installed base and the gfx is still good enough to not need a replacement. Especially if its 2d gaming. The DS is neat but it's beginning to look like something Nintendo chucked together (albeit quite well designed) to deflect the PSP. All the they have to do is make Sony have a rough ride and then they'll be out of the market in no time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm currently more excited about the upcoming handhelds, but then as others have said, that's only because we know so much more about them, and they are much closer.

Between the handhelds, I think DS is the more interesting gaming proposition. However, the design needs working on..I'd hate to see the machine overlooked by some because of its design. It's an excellent piece of kit, functionally, but next to PSP, it looks very unsophisticated, design-wise.

GigaDrive

Banned
Gigadrive,
Did you name yourself after the GP32 Genesis/Megadrive emulator, or did you just come up with the same play on Megadrive as that software's author?

no to the first one. but it actually is a word play on MegaDrive. I named myself after the first working codename of Sega's 32-Bit console, the GigaDrive, circa 1991, which later evolved into the Saturn.

Top Bottom