• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else here suffer from choice paralysis?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Basically I have too many fucking games. Too many bought within such a short period of time that now not only do I have trouble picking something out to finish, I have a hard time finishing period. Sometimes Ill just sit on my couch and stare at my library like an idiot unable to start something, only to fart around with a title for 10 minutes before uninstalling. Much like I am with streaming services. Can never find something to watch. There's just too much.

You can see it in the various threads I participate in. Im all super hot on something for days and then poof I disappear because something else has grabbed my attention, or I've (hopefully) temporarily lost interest.

Here's the wall of shame for the year. Picked up and walked away:

Alone in the Dark - To be fair, this one broke on me (since then its been hard to return to)
FF7 Rebirth
Dragons Dogma 2
Plague Tale Requiem
Atlas Falls
Tunic
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
Shantae & The Seven Sirens
System Shock Remake
Dragon Age Inquisition
Trepang2

The only stuff Ive completed (but do replays really count? I say no)

Hi Fi Rush
Banishers
Nobody Wants To Die
Beyond Good & Evil - Replay
Ratchet & Clank 2016 - Replay
Bloodstained -Replay
Stellar Blade
Dead Space - Replay

I honestly cant tell if this is age, an attention deficit issue, burnout, pickiness or what. But it really sucks.

Does anyone else here experience this?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Big time. Not just with video games, but with shows and movies too. I’ve started using a randomizer app to help me pick games to play 😂

3IGsu6G.png

Corian33

I’m often in the same boat. The absolute worst is when you finally have a big block of free time and can’t decide what to play.

I try to focus on 1-2 linear single player games at a time, and let my heart take me where it will on everything else.

I also decided I would only buy 1 game per month for a while, regardless of price. That helped slow down the backlog at least.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Big time. Not just with video games, but with shows and movies too. I’ve started using a randomizer app to help me pick games to play 😂

3IGsu6G.png

This is a really good idea

I've had this before, I'd say it's burnout on overabundance. Too much time spent gaming already so the desire to play isn't strong and then with 100 options the desire is spread even thinner

This is the issue 100%

I’m often in the same boat. The absolute worst is when you finally have a big block of free time and can’t decide what to play.

I try to focus on 1-2 linear single player games at a time, and let my heart take me where it will on everything else.

I also decided I would only buy 1 game per month for a while, regardless of price. That helped slow down the backlog at least.

Also a really good idea

Fbh

Gold Member
The magic of living on a third world salary is that I only buy games one at a time and the choice is usually made based on what game on my wishilist is on sale at the moment

MiguelItUp

I honestly feel like I have the opposite feeling going on. I want to play something, but no new games are enticing enough. That'll change soon, just so over this reoccurring feeling. 😮‍💨

Skifi28

Until recently yes. It was a huge problem for me, but the solution is rather simple. Always plan ahead what you're going to play / finish. Write it down if you must. I always have a list of the games I have installed and choose an order witch which I will be finishing them.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Until recently yes. It was a huge problem for me, but the solution is rather simple. Always plan ahead what you're going to play / finish. Write it down if you must. I always have a list of the games I have installed and choose an order witch which I will be finishing them.

Dude I make a list of stuff a couple times a week because its always changing. Mostly urges to go back to older stuff, like from 10+ years ago

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
My advice on choice paralysis is to just 100% go the opposite way and indulge your whims. You'll naturally settle back down on your own without any of it being forced.

I sometimes play 6+ games at once. I've explained this before, but when you've been gaming for 30+ years, you have to be flexible to avoid burnout. I'm playing Call of Duty now. Yesterday I just played through 1 level that took 30 min and loved it. Then I turn it off and fire up Dungeons of Hinterberg and played through 2 dungeons for an hour then turned it off. I'm probably at the end of Worldless, but I put it down for a couple weeks to play Flintlock and Flock.

So basically, play anything you want always. Play Shantae for 15 minutes. Then play Prince of Persia for 30 minutes. Then try out a demo for Visions of Mana on a whim. When you've played games for a long time, you're not going to forget how to play these things. And if you are not enjoying any of it, turn it off and do something else.

Stafford

Yep. Definitely.

But honestly I've had this problem back in the PS360 days already. I remember in the year that Fable 3 came out, or that same month I bought like ten games (physical) and then I couldn't decide wtf to play, lol.

Recently I was playing Witcher 3 B&W, took a break, bought all kinds of games in the sale, only to not play them at all. Sand land was part of Free play Days, I liked it, it was in the sale, bought it. At least I AM playing that now too, so at least there's that.

But so goddamned much is yet in the backlog. AC Origins and Oddysey, Starfield, Star Wars JFO and Survivor (although the latter is Game Pass, doesn't count as backlog) and so on.

I'm just going with whatever I feel like playing. So if that's a ten year old game while I could also be playing a newly bought game, so be it.

Last edited:
Not typically. When I do, it's often after I've beaten a game I really like. In those cases, I'll usually just watch TV or movies for a few days (which i don't normally do) and before I know it, I'm in the mood for a specific game to get into again.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Decision paralysis comes from a lack of prioritization. As you become an adult you need to focus on the things that really matter to you. If a game REALLY doesn't seem like it's for you, it's not worth your time. Stop trying to play every game, and only focus on the best seeming ones. Cut out the other noise. Also - be okay abandoning games. If it's not working out, it's not working out for you. You don't need to force yourself to finish everything. Once it stops being enjoyable, cut it out.

For me, I find using a planner helps a lot in making my decisions. If I can see what I need to do / want to do, it helps me really hone in on how i want to spend that time that day.

Life is too short to spend a moment of your free time doing shit you don't like or care about.

Last edited:
Sure thats why I use Ign playlist and organised the games I wanna finish this year by order of importance. And then just go and do whatever game I want from said list.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Spreadsheets are an excellent way of helping with this. For example, here are some of mine.

Spreadsheet for games:

KRl3fJu.jpeg

Spreadsheet for books:
JzM36Bv.jpeg

Spreadsheet for movies / tv shows
8TUIRzq.jpeg

As an adult, you have to approach your time with intentionality, or else you just end up wasting what time you have. I don't allow time for casually "finding something that looks interesting". It's a waste.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
I have a hard time finishing period

So, I'm probably generalizing but down here that's pretty common with people who had a PS1 during childhood, literally every single PS1 in Argentina was chipped (modded) so most boys would download a game, play it for like 10 minutes and then switch to another game. If you had an internet connection you could download the images, if not you had people selling them on trains and stations at about 1 dollar per copy. Those boys ended being jack of all trades, master of none, they probably started hundreds of games but only finished PES, FIFA and some Dragon Ball fighting game. One generation before, those who were born with cartridges, had a hard time doing that, they had to buy or rent a game and they were stuck with that game until they finished it. If you rented the wrong game on Friday you will spend a pretty unhappy weekend. You got that golf game as Bart Simpson and you had to stick with it until you managed to trade it in or get a new one as a gift.

PS generation boys in Whatsapp groups are pretty easy to spot: they are the ones talking a lot about new releases, the ones that download the new releases as soon as possible (even before release if they are Switch games... yeah, piracy), the ones that talk a lot about a game in like the first week at most and then switch to a new game because they got bored or stuck. In a way they are just like JS programmers, always hailing new libraries even though they will never use them wholly :messenger_grinning:

Not finishing games is not as bad as it sounds, I just booted a Nintendo DS, put my Metroid Prime Hunters card there and realized I had like 30% of it done only, had already forgotten about that. I plugged my Etrian Odyssey and my Etrian Odyssey 2, both post game finished but mapping hasn't finished yet. I didn't quite enjoy Metroid so I never reached halfway but I guess I knew I was in a genre I didn't like but the demo played so well with the thumb strap that I decided to give it a chance. Maybe you are just trying to like every genre, every game and that's not how it works, you find your niche and focus on it because that's what makes you happy. I stick with dungeon crawlers and RPG and don't really get anything sports-like (for Switch I don't have a single soccer game) nor fighting (I only bought Smash Bros but it's still sealed) nor racing (again, I only bought Mario Kart but it's still sealed). Find what makes you happy and stick with it, exploring other genres only for curiosity from time to time. I guess being in a forum where everyone talks about the latest games gives you FOMO and end up buying games that only give you anxiety for not completing them. Forget the hive mind, be yourself.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Basically I have too many fucking games. Too many bought within such a short period of time that now not only do I have trouble picking something out to finish, I have a hard time finishing period. Sometimes Ill just sit on my couch and stare at my library like an idiot unable to start something, only to fart around with a title for 10 minutes before uninstalling. Much like I am with streaming services. Can never find something to watch. There's just too much.

You can see it in the various threads I participate in. Im all super hot on something for days and then poof I disappear because something else has grabbed my attention, or I've (hopefully) temporarily lost interest.

Here's the wall of shame for the year. Picked up and walked away:

Alone in the Dark - To be fair, this one broke on me (since then its been hard to return to)
FF7 Rebirth
Dragons Dogma 2
Plague Tale Requiem
Atlas Falls
Tunic
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
Shantae & The Seven Sirens
System Shock Remake
Dragon Age Inquisition
Trepang2

The only stuff Ive completed (but do replays really count? I say no)

Hi Fi Rush
Banishers
Nobody Wants To Die
Beyond Good & Evil - Replay
Ratchet & Clank 2016 - Replay
Bloodstained -Replay
Stellar Blade
Dead Space - Replay

I honestly cant tell if this is age, an attention deficit issue, burnout, pickiness or what. But it really sucks.

Does anyone else here experience this?
At least you start games...I buy them then don't even open/install them.
Added 121 games to my steam lib this month (stupid steam sale).
Not even going to count console stuff.

.....Send help

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
My advice on choice paralysis is to just 100% go the opposite way and indulge your whims. You'll naturally settle back down on your own without any of it being forced.

I sometimes play 6+ games at once. I've explained this before, but when you've been gaming for 30+ years, you have to be flexible to avoid burnout. I'm playing Call of Duty now. Yesterday I just played through 1 level that took 30 min and loved it. Then I turn it off and fire up Dungeons of Hinterberg and played through 2 dungeons for an hour then turned it off. I'm probably at the end of Worldless, but I put it down for a couple weeks to play Flintlock and Flock.

So basically, play anything you want always. Play Shantae for 15 minutes. Then play Prince of Persia for 30 minutes. Then try out a demo for Visions of Mana on a whim. When you've played games for a long time, you're not going to forget how to play these things. And if you are not enjoying any of it, turn it off and do something else.

Decision paralysis comes from a lack of prioritization. As you become an adult you need to focus on the things that really matter to you. If a game REALLY doesn't seem like it's for you, it's not worth your time. Stop trying to play every game, and only focus on the best seeming ones. Cut out the other noise. Also - be okay abandoning games. If it's not working out, it's not working out for you. You don't need to force yourself to finish everything. Once it stops being enjoyable, cut it out.

For me, I find using a planner helps a lot in making my decisions. If I can see what I need to do / want to do, it helps me really hone in on how i want to spend that time that day.

Life is too short to spend a moment of your free time doing shit you don't like or care about.

Really like these. Thanks dudes.

Filben

My advice is to focus on a game that REALLY hooks you and you thoroughly enjoy; not on games you SHOULD enjoy because people and critics alike enjoy it, or because on paper you should enjoy it.

If it doesn't hold your attention to play it through, drop it and be done with it. Move one without looking back. It helps to uninstall it and remove it from any list it might be on. This clears your mind and take it off of games that simply aren't good enough to hold YOUR attention.

No. I play a single player game to completion while I juggle street fighter 6 and tekken 8.

Because of this, I took almost 3 months to complete ff7 rebirth. And around 4 months to complete baldurs gate 3.

There's no rush. I take my own sweet time and savour the games.
i have a massive backlog but im still playing elden ring.
havent even gotten to the expansion yet.

at the final boss (i assume) so im re-exploring all the areas that i want to.
found like 5 extra bosses and a bunch of random NPCs in unexpected places.

The struggle is real. I keep a few games in the "playing" section of HowLongToBeat as a short list of things I'm in the mood to play. Often I will blow it away and restart from scratch, but it helps to narrow things and give me a jumping off point. Sometimes when there is a new release or a game I see not on that list, it makes me really want to play it even though it's not on the short list - well, that gives me an easy answer so I just go and play that. It helps to keep things feeling like a library more than a backlog.

Im seriously considering going to my doctor to get a small script for Adderall to see if it make a difference :messenger_expressionless:
Here is Dr. Rumpshaker's prescription for enjoying games:
  1. Cancel all gaming subscription services: buy your games, not rent
  2. Buy only the games you truly want to play
    • not games you heard are good
    • not games you think you should play
    • not games that you want to have played
  3. Don't buy games just because they are on sale
  4. Put your phone away, in some other room in the house
  5. Enjoy games

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played through Elden Ring DLC twice and the main campaign twice since finishing it 4 times already over the last two years. I tend to focus on a new release and then I feel like I’m all over the place until another game comes out.

I have this problem with PC games, which isn’t anything new since 2009. I just got Disgaea 5 Complete, Warhammer 40k Boltgun package, and a couple other items. My PC library keeps growing and growing. I haven’t finished Eiyuden Chronicles, but I’m 5 hours into Chained Echoes. I’ll prioritize Visions of Mana once that comes out.

I have a couple hundred games on GOG and Epic. I also have Uplay and EA Origin titles. I’ve synced some over to Luna. It’s just a lot. If anything I’ll play Elden Ring or another From Software game again. lol

Mercador

I "try" to purchase only one game per month. Still, I'm currently playing CP2077, haven't played the DLC yet.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yep, so this year I've tried to buy as little as possible and focus on what I have. Honestly the internet is the worst for hyping us up and making us feel like we need to buy it. But it's worked, I've spent like 60 hours on cyberpunk and really got into it.

Killjoy-NL

Glad some companies are focussing on Gaas.

Imagine having to deal with all these singleplayer games you won't be able to play due to lack of time.

Edmund

i have a massive backlog but im still playing elden ring.
havent even gotten to the expansion yet.

at the final boss (i assume) so im re-exploring all the areas that i want to.
found like 5 extra bosses and a bunch of random NPCs in unexpected places.

Same here. My backlog is massive but I'd rather not rush and fully enjoy exploring every nook and cranny in the games I play.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Another piece of advise - don't worry about playing games when they come out. Half the time nowadays they're incomplete anyway. Being a part of the "zeitgeist" is overrated, and you can always talk about a game later.
True. Nowadays buying a game day 1 just means you paid the highest price in order to play the worst version of the game, especially if it’s some big AAA game that has had a long development.

Top Bottom