• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else here suffer from choice paralysis?

Pidull

Basically I have too many fucking games. Too many bought within such a short period of time that now not only do I have trouble picking something out to finish, I have a hard time finishing period. Sometimes Ill just sit on my couch and stare at my library like an idiot unable to start something, only to fart around with a title for 10 minutes before uninstalling. Much like I am with streaming services. Can never find something to watch. There's just too much.

You can see it in the various threads I participate in. Im all super hot on something for days and then poof I disappear because something else has grabbed my attention, or I've (hopefully) temporarily lost interest.

Here's the wall of shame for the year. Picked up and walked away:

Alone in the Dark - To be fair, this one broke on me (since then its been hard to return to)
FF7 Rebirth
Dragons Dogma 2
Plague Tale Requiem
Atlas Falls
Tunic
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
Shantae & The Seven Sirens
System Shock Remake
Dragon Age Inquisition
Trepang2

The only stuff Ive completed (but do replays really count? I say no)

Hi Fi Rush
Banishers
Nobody Wants To Die
Beyond Good & Evil - Replay
Ratchet & Clank 2016 - Replay
Bloodstained -Replay
Stellar Blade
Dead Space - Replay

I honestly cant tell if this is age, an attention deficit issue, burnout, pickiness or what. But it really sucks.

Does anyone else here experience this?
I have this issue, and to combat it I try to maintain a list of games I'm playing/beating, and I try to enforce a "3 games only" rule.

If I don't want to play one of those 3 games anymore, I treat the game I'm removing as a retired game that I'm okay with never playing again, and then I hide it from my digital ownership list or get rid of the game altogether if it's physical.

I have this issue, and to combat it I try to maintain a list of games I'm playing/beating, and I try to enforce a "3 games only" rule.

If I don't want to play one of those 3 games anymore, I treat the game I'm removing as a retired game that I'm okay with never playing again, and then I hide it from my digital ownership list or get rid of the game altogether if it's physical.
This is also a very good suggestion OP, as I also participate in the 3 game rule.

Two small personal rules I added to the 3 game are as follows:

1) No repeat genres. Each game should be a different genre to encourage variety (like how it used to feel to borrow a random new game from a friend or go to a rental store).

2) At least one game I will have as my online game experience. For example, this loop I had a racing game, an action/adventure, and an online third person shooter (First Descendant).

You go back and forth on a daily basis depending on your mood, but try as hard as you can to keep that mood between your three choices, or else there’s no point to following the 3 game rule because things will start to unravel the minute you pick game #4.

Pidull

This is also a very good suggestion OP, as I also participate in the 3 game rule.

Two small personal rules I added to the 3 game are as follows:

1) No repeat genres. Each game should be a different genre to encourage variety (like how it used to feel to borrow a random new game from a friend or go to a rental store).

2) At least one game I will have as my online game experience. For example, this loop I had a racing game, an action/adventure, and an online third person shooter (First Descendant).

You go back and forth on a daily basis depending on your mood, but try as hard as you can to keep that mood between your three choices, or else there’s no point to following the 3 game rule because things will start to unravel the minute you pick game #4.
That last piece of advice is the most important, as soon as I get lax on 3 games only, I stop finishing games.

With my busy adult life I always keep a game that's easy to pick up for only 15 minutes on my list.

Top Bottom