• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else here suffer from choice paralysis?

itshutton

Doesn't really happen with games but it did happen with movies and TV shows so I've solved the problem by unsubbing from both Netflix and Disney+.
I went to a holiday home over the weekend. In the evening we ended up watching movies on TV and they were terrible movies, but I felt good watching them. The burden of choice was removed.

I too am thinking about unsubscribing to all subscriptions, PS+ Extra included. I think I just want to buy the games that I want and play 1 game for a couple of months with no other choice.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Doesn't really happen with games but it did happen with movies and TV shows so I've solved the problem by unsubbing from both Netflix and Disney+.

Movies are the one thing I have very much under control.

I watch them very often and have for 30 years straight, basically.

Worked at Blockbuster for 4 years and we got 10 free rentals a week and I took advantage of it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My backlog is stupid. It’s one of the many reasons I stopped buying games, unless on a supper deep cut price, like Planet Coaster with all the DLC for under $10

So I kind of just play 1-3 games at a given time. I just beat Lies of P this last weekend, so now I need to pick my next game. What that is yet, I’m not sure. I am playing CoD MW3 multiplayer on game pass currently, but nothing single player.

I think I might try and finish Baldur’s Gate 3.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I find Jeff Schwartz's work on The Paradox of Choice illuminating. One of the lessons of that book is that although we think more choices means more happiness and satisfaction, the opposite is true. The more choices we have, the less happy and satisfied we are with those choices. This is part of why you hop from one game to the next.

There are a lot of little insights in the book, but one is the advantage of being a "satisficer" over being a "maximizer." A "satisficer" is someone who looks for a choice that is good enough. The "maximizer" looks for the option that is "best," most optimal. Although you might think that looking for the "best" choice is the best strategy, it turns out that satisficers are happier and more satisfied with their choices than maximizers (even when the maximizer's choices are objectively better). This effect is especially pronounced as the number of options increase. So to whatever degree you can adopt a "satisficer" mindset ("eh, good enough, I don't need something more"), it might help.

He also recommends self-limiting your options. I've found that helpful, personally. I don't have the problem with games, but I do with books. Sometimes I will have 30 books on my shelf that I want/need to read. It starts to feel like pressure, a chore rather than a pleasure, a "have to" rather than a "want to." I start to rush through books, just so I can check them off the list, rather than take the time to enjoy them. I've learned that I need to keep my backlog low (under 10, preferably under 6) or else that sense of "have to" sets in. You could do the same with games.

Last edited:
I'm trying to put a pause on my game purchases, except Astro Bot, but I paid for that awhile ago, ha!
I'm working on stellar blade, outcast second contact and enslaved mostly while having FF7 rebirth and rise of the ronin just sittin there. Shame!
This year has been too much for me.

MujkicHaris

It's not the choice paralysis.

I am looking at the list OP and there are like only 2 or 3 great games there. The rest is garbage. You need to change your palette.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Got no problem when I'm hyped about an upcoming game. But man, when it's about choosing something from the backlog I can spend days even before making a choice.

Between PC and all the consoles I have, there's just too many damn games to play lol.

I remember video stores. You'd go in, pick something, and because you picked it and the place was closed on Sundays, you fucking played it/watched it for better or worse. That often led to a moment of hey...I actually like this...?

I have the entire entertainment world at my fingertips now and most of them I just end up turning the TV back off and doing something else because I wasted 20 minutes listlessly scrolling through my endless options. I'm drowning in convenience like some fat degenerate Egyptian prince being fed grapes or some shit. I know it's happening and I try to fight it and I still feel everything being accessible at all times devalues it.

I find Jeff Schwartz's work on The Paradox of Choice illuminating. One of the lessons of that book is that although we think more choices means more happiness and satisfaction, the opposite is true. The more choices we have, the less happy and satisfied we are with those choices. This is part of why you hop from one game to the next.

There are a lot of little insights in the book, but one is the advantage of being a "satisficer" over being a "maximizer." A "satisficer" is someone who looks for a choice that is good enough. The "maximizer" looks for the option that is "best," most optimal. Although you might think that looking for the "best" choice is the best strategy, it turns out that satisficers are happier and more satisfied with their choices than maximizers (even when the maximizer's choices are objectively better). This effect is especially pronounced as the number of options increase. So to whatever degree you can adopt a "satisficer" mindset ("eh, good enough, I don't need something more"), it might help.

He also recommends self-limiting your options. I've found that helpful, personally. I don't have the problem with games, but I do with books. Sometimes I will have 30 books on my shelf that I want/need to read. It starts to feel like pressure, a chore rather than a pleasure, a "have to" rather than a "want to." I start to rush through books, just so I can check them off the list, rather than take the time to enjoy them. I've learned that I need to keep my backlog low (under 10, preferably under 6) or else that sense of "have to" sets in. You could do the same with games.
I should've just quoted you instead of typing myself, damn.

Same here. My backlog is massive but I'd rather not rush and fully enjoy exploring every nook and cranny in the games I play.
yeah. only regret is there is something to playing a game at launch.
just extra exciting.

so if a new game comes out that i really want to play, ill play it.
then after, no new games i want? back to the backlog.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is going to sound really, really stupid, but it works: just fucking play something. Pick one and commit to playing 1-2 hours minimum. Majority of the time you'll know if you wanna carry on or drop it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not really. After decades in this hobby I know how to avoid wasting time debating with myself about what game I should play.

If I "see" a game in my mind, I play it. And if I see nothing I just go do something else.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
I solved this problem when I realized that almost everything that gets released is shit. The amount of games that are overrated is just insane.

This left only very few games to play. Although this might sound like a very negative approach, it actually made playing games much more enjoyable to me. Stop wasting your time with awful games that last for tenths of hours. Pick up some quality.

SHA

First you have to buy xbox "just joking",
Then use psych tricks, there are many of them, the point is getting lost in one game,

1-Ask yourself 'what do you want?' it's like choosing a fast food restaurant, once you get clear thoughts about what you want, and this could be really hard, I'm not saying this is easy, cause this could help you detach from the thought process of your last game, cause it's really hard to unthink of your last game, and this could widen your narrow view to help making your choice easier.

2-Ask yourself 'did you really made the right choices for the games you bought?', cause this will help you, after you cleared your recent thoughts, regain your original thoughts when you bought each one of them.

3- Just get in any of them, stop worrying about how big these games are, if you're stucked then take a break.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
I used to. Got over by saying fuck it and just launch the game. Been meaning to play the Mass Effect games and Nioh 2 but kept putting them off. Hit launch and ended up getting sucked in on both and completing them recently. And if the game is awful i'll move on. Not enough time in this world to play everything out there.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The fewer games I have, the more enjoyment I get, but I can't resist expanding my library. Switch, Miyoo Mini Plus, my phone, Linux PC in the living room, Wii... I started with a small library for all of them and had a lot of fun at first, but after a while, I added tons of games and lost all my excitement for these devices. I find myself overwhelmed and unable to decide which one to play, ending up not playing any of them. I'm even afraid to look at my Steam library; it makes me feel nauseous. I guess there's no solution to this. I won't be affected by the collapse of the gaming industry though.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I can get the same issue at times. Hence why I usually only buy one game at a time. I can always get the others later and cheaper.

Last edited:
I had this problem for maybe like a couple of months, then I actually tried some new games I never thought I would like. One of the games Im playing on and off now is Powerwash Simulator, lol. I can listen to a pocast while playing the game at the same time. Gameplay is not really my type, but it does scratch an itch. I cant immerse myself while listening to a podcast with something like Resident Evil 4 Remake, so having a game where I can sit back and relax does have its place.

The games releasing later this year though? I dont think Im going to have a problem at all starting those right away. Games like Warhammer Space Marine, Phantom Blade Zero, Silent Hill Remake, Astro Bot and Metal gear Solid. Im there day one for each release.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Lebron James Nba GIF by Uninterrupted

RSLAEV

Not much to add, but make sure you spend more time playing games than trying to decide what game would be the best use of your time. If you catch yourself paralyzed by choice just pop something in and play it without thinking about it. You aren't going to play all the best games and every choice won't be the best choice, but at least you can look back and say you actually played something instead of deliberating on it. Also I think the more you play, the more honest you can be with yourself about what you really want to play. I have a lot of games that look great on a list of "Games I definitely want to play" but playing them for a bit is the best way to determine whether or not they belong on that list. Good Luck.

John Bilbo

I've noticed that when I cannot choose what to play it is because I don't really feel like playing and there is some other thing I need to focus my mind on. When that happens I just take a break from gaming and do whatever that other thing is. Usually it is either relaxing, exercising, socializing or planning and setting goals for the near future.

I always have like 3 games in rotation, usually a MP game that is easy enough to just play in short bursts, SF6 and Helldivers 2 I still play a few hours a week each. Then like some RPG or adventure game , something more low impact. There are still lots of games I still really need to get to but I find I enjoy playing them the most when I'm in the right mood for it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Having a list of games to play you can count on is a blessing, it may seem like a "choice paralysis", and I remember buying one game at a time growing up.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
OP. Just make use of your time to the best of your enjoyment.

No one is going to come to your funeral and go “wow this guy beat xyz games.” It only matters to you so stop obsessing.

It’s perfectly alright to play 10 minutes of something and go “nah. My brain isn’t enjoying this to get hooked.”

Would you rather you wasted money on alone in the dark or wasted your money AND time forcing yourself to play alone in the dark?

Go with the flow and play what you want to in the moment.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The insult is uncalled for. What are you ? 3 years old ? When you disagree with someone in real life, you call him an asshole ?
It’s a harmless joke, don’t take it seriously. Usually when you post gif is meant as joke, do I really need post (JK) every time post a gif?

Z O N E

Just go in alphabetical order to complete your games.

I did that during the lockdown and managed to complete so many games.

Neolombax

I kind of do, but nowadays it's been way better because of these subscription services. I would just wait until the game I want goes onto PS Plus, or after waiting for a long while and it still doesnt, chances are the game is already heavily discounted.

cireza

Gold Member
It’s a harmless joke, don’t take it seriously. Usually when you post gif is meant as joke, do I really need post (JK) every time post a gif?
This is a gif with an insult. Make better jokes... without insulting people.

Hohenheim

I "suffer" from having too much in my Steam backlog, and my solution was to buy every Trails and YS game, and embark on a journey with those two series. Everything else in the backlog ignored. Problem solved! :)

FewRope

I "suffer" from having too much in my Steam backlog, and my solution was to buy every Trails and YS game, and embark on a journey with those two series. Everything else in the backlog ignored. Problem solved! :)
This is me, my solution to getting choice paralysis by my Steam backlog is just buy more stuff lmao

This can come in handy

Or if you want to play something new tailored to your preferences, either of these sites:

Last edited:

The Skull

I used to until I stopped buying on sale games on a whim. Reevaluated my library on steam of games I needed to play vs wanted to and removed them from my library. It's become much more enjoyable and manageable now.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This can come in handy

Or if you want to play something new tailored to your preferences, either of these sites:

That recommendation engine is super cool, thanks for sharing. After taking the little quiz, I’d say about 60% of the recommendations it’s giving me are games I’ve played and love, so it seems pretty accurate.

Alan Wake

Basically I have too many fucking games. Too many bought within such a short period of time that now not only do I have trouble picking something out to finish, I have a hard time finishing period. Sometimes Ill just sit on my couch and stare at my library like an idiot unable to start something, only to fart around with a title for 10 minutes before uninstalling. Much like I am with streaming services. Can never find something to watch. There's just too much.

You can see it in the various threads I participate in. Im all super hot on something for days and then poof I disappear because something else has grabbed my attention, or I've (hopefully) temporarily lost interest.

Here's the wall of shame for the year. Picked up and walked away:

Alone in the Dark - To be fair, this one broke on me (since then its been hard to return to)
It's crazy. And I'm trying to go through my backlog too!

I do want to raise my sword for Alone in the Dark here, though. It's been patched and runs very good now. I liked it from the start but some bugs were annoying, it's better now. This game deserves a playthrough (or preferably two, one with each character), it's one of those few games that dare to now follow the crowd. If you're into the genre of old school horror and mystery games or even like the franchise from before I definitely recommend it.

DaGwaphics

My backlog is stupid. It’s one of the many reasons I stopped buying games, unless on a supper deep cut price, like Planet Coaster with all the DLC for under $10

So I kind of just play 1-3 games at a given time. I just beat Lies of P this last weekend, so now I need to pick my next game. What that is yet, I’m not sure. I am playing CoD MW3 multiplayer on game pass currently, but nothing single player.

I think I might try and finish Baldur’s Gate 3.

I hear you about the backlog. I probably have at least 50 or 60 games that I've never touched. :messenger_beaming:

Basically I have too many fucking games. Too many bought within such a short period of time that now not only do I have trouble picking something out to finish, I have a hard time finishing period. Sometimes Ill just sit on my couch and stare at my library like an idiot unable to start something, only to fart around with a title for 10 minutes before uninstalling. Much like I am with streaming services. Can never find something to watch. There's just too much.

You can see it in the various threads I participate in. Im all super hot on something for days and then poof I disappear because something else has grabbed my attention, or I've (hopefully) temporarily lost interest.

Here's the wall of shame for the year. Picked up and walked away:

Alone in the Dark - To be fair, this one broke on me (since then its been hard to return to)
FF7 Rebirth
Dragons Dogma 2
Plague Tale Requiem
Atlas Falls
Tunic
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
Shantae & The Seven Sirens
System Shock Remake
Dragon Age Inquisition
Trepang2

The only stuff Ive completed (but do replays really count? I say no)

Hi Fi Rush
Banishers
Nobody Wants To Die
Beyond Good & Evil - Replay
Ratchet & Clank 2016 - Replay
Bloodstained -Replay
Stellar Blade
Dead Space - Replay

I honestly cant tell if this is age, an attention deficit issue, burnout, pickiness or what. But it really sucks.

Does anyone else here experience this?
Same boat, I wanted to finish FF16 after buying it a year ago. I started a new game just so I know what the hell is going on in the story. But then I got this sudden urge to play DMC 1 and get all the trophies. I succeeded on that and now I'm playing DMC 3. Welp, so much for FF16, neglected once again for a game I played numerous times already.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Same boat, I wanted to finish FF16 after buying it a year ago. I started a new a game just so I know what the hell is going on in the story. But then I got this sudden urge to play DMC 1 and get all the trophies. I succeeded on that and now I'm playing DMC 3. Welp, so much for FF16, neglected once again for a game I played numerous times already.

Never finished FF16 either. It's also on the wall of shame. And I fuckin loved what I played. I totally forget why I dropped off.

Never finished FF16 either. It's also on the wall of shame. And I fuckin loved what I played. I totally forget why I dropped off.
Yep, that goes for a lot of the games I never finish, TLOU 2, Hi Fi Rush, Yakuza Like a Dragon. There is just too many quality games coming out or been out that it's hard to keep up and not get distracted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom