• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone pick up MK yet?

ManaByte

Gold Member
HAHAH! I was just playing on Live against some kid and I did Baraka's first fatality (the torso chop) and when I did I heard some woman screaming freaking out over the headset screaming and they quit out. Some kid got in trouble. AHAHA

Anyanka

Noob-Smoke's ending has a great shocking plot twist...

Noob is the original Sub-Zero, from MK1. When Scorpion killed him he was sent to Netherealm and turned into a demon.

border

Mortal Kombat 1....I dunno about it being clunky and stiff, but it just isn't really that fun. Everybody has the same basic moves, there's almost no combo/juggling opportunities. Most of the time you're just trading jumpkicks and uppercuts, because they're such ridiculously powerful moves. Everything seems pretty slanted in favor of Liu Kang (who has a decent jump kick-fliying kick juggle) or Sub-Zero whose missile attack leaves you open for a devastating uppercut. Other than the fatalities being kinda cool, I don't see much reason to play it.

Anyanka said:

Noob is the original Sub-Zero, from MK1. When Scorpion killed him he was sent to Netherealm and turned into a demon.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE?

What about the mk 3 version of subzero. There was a maked version and an unmasked version. Suposedly, one of them was the orginal Subzero?

Anyanka

read his ending. It says he was thought to be the older brother, but when he removes his maks he shocks everyone by revealing himself to be someone else.

It never revealed who it was though.

evil ways

Anyanka said:

Damn, shouldn't have read it, but what the hell, sounds like a great ending, especially when you consider Smoke's past friendship with a certain someone.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
isamu said:
I still cannot figure out for the life of me, why the fuck Midway would choose to slap the first three MK games onto the back of OTHER games instead of releasing a full fledge Mortal Kombat Anthology game with MK 1, 2, 3, and UMK3 complete with Xbox Live play. Seriously, do they NOT know how fucking hot this would sell? Do they NOT know how many mk fans there are out there who want this? Do they NOT read messageboards to see for themselves what people are asking for?

I boggles my mind to see some of the decisions made by people in charge of well....making decisions. C'mon Midway give the fans want they want....the first three MK games online.

Damn right. An MK Anthology on Xbox Live would be awesome.

Kweh

Huge MK fan, so cannot wait to pick this up when its released in a few weeks over here. I enjoyed DA, but one thing I hate, its really a pet peeve, is the new announcer's voice in DA, and sounds like he's in Deception too.

Bring back Shao Khan's voice! Even though that could be hard...

Anyanka

The annoucer in MKDA wasn't new, it was in MK4. It was Quan Chi.

There's a new annoucer in MKD, it's Onaga.

Kweh

Really? I couldnt remember MK4's announcer tbh. Onaga sound much different? Couldn't notice it on the vids

Anyanka

A lot of videos for MKD, especially early ones, used the old Quan Chi voice samples.

The voice of Shao Kahn is actually the famous pinball designer Steve Ritchie.

I have this feeling that the whole "every mk character is in it" is kinda misleading in that alot of them (havent got it yet getting it tommorrow), just are "running through the krypt or "hidding in background (X), anayake are the "unplayable guys low polylooking? (meaning you can tell they are prolly just npcs in this game)

what would truly rock imo is a real MK remake

using everystage,bg,bgm and character using this engine I mean from the looks of it they have some bg converted from mk1 and 2 in the pics ive seen. :D

Anyanka

They're all NPCs. You see and talk to them in Konquest.

Midway never said you'd be able to PLAY as everyone from every MK ever. They were always ust talking about NPcs.

Tabs

Puzzle Kombat is a lot like Super Puzzle Fighter, but it is far from an exact replica.

Two big issues (if you wanted it to be the same, like I did):

- When you make a square or rectangle of like-colored gems, they do not form a bigger gem. The bigger gem in Super Puzzle Fighter would never fall apart once it was made, and you can't count on that here.

- When gems are about to drop on your side of the board, you can't clear those. In SPF, if your opponent dropped 6 blocks on you, you could clear that with 12 of your own, leaving nothing dropped on your opponent. In PK, you would take the 6 from your opponent and give him 12.

evil ways

Cool scene at my local Gamestop, there was a big crowd of about 15 people around the Xbox kiosk which had MK Deception on, with everybody taking turns to play. Reminded me of the old arcade days.

Can't play my copy yet but the packaging for the PS2 one is dead sexy, smoking hot, like the GTA Double Pack but silvery.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyanka said:

What's even more interesting about this is Noob was originally Noob Saibot. Ed Boon's character has always been Scorpion. Everyone knows that Boon and Tobias split up, so...

That ending gives a very interesting suggestion as to what Boon thinks of Tobias right now ;) A demon? hehe

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kweh said:
Anyone know any fatalities or suicide moves yet?

I only play as Baraka and his fatalities (on Xbox) are:

Torso Rip:
F, U, D, Y (close)

Decapitation Punch:

F, D, B, F, Y (sweep)

Anyone know which version is the better version? In Deadly Alliance the PS2 version was actually better IMO. Graphics were sharper, and the lighting was better. Not to mention that the Xbox version slowed down with progressive scan turned on. Now in Deception I hear the widescreen display is a bit off on the Xbox version but not true in the PS2 version. There's some overscan going on that cuts part of the picture off on the Xbox version. Both support widescreen and progressive scan. So what other differences are between the two? Ignore the Xbox Live and PS2 online aspects of it for now.

shuri

Banned
I just got the game, i love playing online, talking trash with people is just plain fun. If you want to fight, add me, Sentin3l

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Marty Chinn said:
Anyone know which version is the better version? In Deadly Alliance the PS2 version was actually better IMO. Graphics were sharper, and the lighting was better. Not to mention that the Xbox version slowed down with progressive scan turned on. Now in Deception I hear the widescreen display is a bit off on the Xbox version but not true in the PS2 version. There's some overscan going on that cuts part of the picture off on the Xbox version. Both support widescreen and progressive scan. So what other differences are between the two? Ignore the Xbox Live and PS2 online aspects of it for now.

I couldn't tell you about widescreen (didn't bother enabling it), but the Xbox version has true 480p support now, and no longer slows down in 480p either. I saw that some people at Gamefaqs were posting they had no widescreen problems with their set ups, so it may depends on what you are using.

I know you want to ignore it, but it doesn't matter anyway; the Xbox version is better because of Xbox Live. :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Trav said:
Puzzle Kombat is a lot like Super Puzzle Fighter, but it is far from an exact replica.

- When you make a square or rectangle of like-colored gems, they do not form a bigger gem. The bigger gem in Super Puzzle Fighter would never fall apart once it was made, and you can't count on that here.

- When gems are about to drop on your side of the board, you can't clear those. In SPF, if your opponent dropped 6 blocks on you, you could clear that with 12 of your own, leaving nothing dropped on your opponent. In PK, you would take the 6 from your opponent and give him 12.

-Don't use Sindel, because her HAIR gets in the way of the first two block rows on the screen. Great design job there, guys. :p

Kweh

I must say, i'm enjoying this loads. Not so keen on PK, prolly cos i'm not sure of the rules tbh. Chess, Konquest and Arcade are heaps of fun, when I had a Nightwolf vs Mileena fight, I had memories of MKII. It's nice it reminds me of back then.

Announcer's voice is better in this than in MK4/DA too.

I loved it when Scorpion committed suicide (I was Sub Zero, i guess he didn't want me to have the satisfaction of killing him) :)

In Konquest mode, i've only seen what looked like Stryker running behind a house. Dodgy voice acting lol

Mzo

ManaByte said:
I didn't buy the Kollector's Edition because I despise MK1. It's a clunky, stiff, fighter. Now, Midway Treasures 2, with MKII, I must have. MKII is the best of the series...
IBTN

Anyanka

Ashrah Voodoo Doll fatality:- D,D,U,U 2 (Up close)
Ashrah Blue Mist Fatality :- F,D,F,D 2 (Sweep)
Ashrah Hari -Kiri:- U,D,U,U 2

Baraka Slice and Skewer Fatality :- F,U,D, 2 (up close)
Baraka Uppercut decap and head skewer:- F,D,B,F 2 (sweep)
Baraka's Decap Hara-Kiri - D, B, U, B, 4

Bo Rai Cho Fatality 1:- D,U,F,F, 2 (Sweep)
Bo Rai Cho Fatality 2:- U,B,F, 3 (Sweep)
Bo Rai Cho Hari Kiri :- B,B,F,F 2

Dairou Fatality 1:- D,U,B,B 1 (Sweep)
Dairou Fatality 2:- D,D,A 3 (Close)
Dairou Hari Kiri :-B,B,B,D 1

Darrius Fatality 1:- U,D,B,F 3 (Sweep)
Darrius Fatality 2:- D,D,A 3 (Close)
Darrius Hari Kiri:- B,F,F 2

Ermac Fatality 1:- D,B,B,D, 3 (Sweep)
Ermac Fatality 2:- B,D,B,D, 4 (Sweep)
Ermac Hari -Kiri :- D,U,U,D 3

Havik Fatality 1:- D,F,F,U 4 (Close)
Havik Fatality 2:- F,F,F,B 2 (Sweep)
Havik Hari Kiri :- F,U,U,U 2

Hotaru Fatality 1 :- F,B,U,D 1 (Sweep)
Hotaru Fatality 2:- D,F,B,F 2 (Close)
Hotaru Hari Kiri:- U,B,B,B 2

Jade's Spear Fatality - B,F,U,F 1 (Sweep)
Jade Fatality 2:- B,F,F,F 2 (Close)
Jade Hari Kiri:- F,F,F,B 2

Kabal Fatality 1:- F,U,U,U 3 (Close)
Kabal Fatality 2:- U,U,D,D 2 (Close)
Kabal Hari Kiri :- F,U,U,D 2

Kenshi Fatality 1:- F,F,A,A 2 (Sweep)
Kenshi Fatality 2:- B,F,F,B 2 (Sweep)
Kenshi Hari Kiri - D,B,B,F 4 (Sweep)

Kira Fatality 1 :- B,F,F,B 4 (Far Away)
Kira Fatality 2 :- U,F,D,B 3 (Sweep)
Kira Hari Kiri :- F,B,U,B :- 3

Kobra's Heart Rip Fatality - D, B, F, D, 4

Li Mei Fatality 1:- F,F,F,F 1 (Sweep)
Li Mei fatality 2:- U,B,F,F 4 (Sweep)
Li Mei Hari Kiri:- U,D,U,D 3

Liu Kang Fatality 1:- B,B,B,F 2 (Sweep)
Liu Kang Fatality 2:- U,B,F,F 4 (Sweep)
Liu Kang Hari Kiri:- D,D,D,U 3

Mileena Neck Bite Fatality:- F,D,D 1 (Sweep)
Mileena Fatality 2:- U,U,F,F 3 (Far)
Mileena Hari Kiri :- B,D,F,D 1

Nightwolf's Axe Throw Fatality - B,F,B,F, 1 (far away)
Nightwolf Axe Decap Fatality:- D,F,D,U 2 (Sweep)
Nightwolf Hara - Kiri - U,U,U,U, 3

Noob - Smoke Fatality 1:- B,F,B,F 4 (Far) - Noob
Noob - Smoke Fatality 2:- U,D,D,F 2(Sweep) - Smoke
Noob - Smoke Hari Kiri :- D,U,U,D 2

Raiden Fatality 1:- B,D,F,D 1 (sweep)
Raiden Fatality 2:- U,D,F,F 1 (Far away)
Raiden Hari Kiri :- F,U,U,B 1

Scorpion Fatality 1:- F,D,F,F, 1 (sweep)
Scorpion Fatality 2:- F,B,F,B 1 (Close)
Scorpion Hari Kiri :- F,U,U,B 1

Shujinko Fatality 1 :- U,D,D,F 2 (Close)
Shujinko Fatality 2 :- B,U,F,F 1 (Close)
Shujinko Hari Kiri :- D,B,D,B 3
(Please note, you must unlock Shujinko's fatalities before you can use them)

Sindel Fatality 1:- B,F,F,B 1 (Sweep)
Sindel Fatality 2:- U,U,B,F 3 (Sweep)
Sindel Hari Kiri :- F,U,U,D 4

Sub Zero's Head Rip Fatality - F,B,D,F , 2 (Close)
Sub Zero's Leg Freeze Fatality - B,D,B,D 1 (Sweep)
Sub Zero's Hari Kiri :- D,U,D,U 2

Tanya Fatality 1:- F,D,D,D 1 (close)
Tanya Fatality 2:- U,B,F,U 2 (close)
Tanya Hari Kiri :- D,D,F,U 3

Some of them don't seem to work. If you can't get it, try using another distance. A lot of them are wrong.

"sweep" is much farther than it used to be too.

Bog

Junior Ace
In Deadly Alliance, it didn't matter where you were for Fatals. Also, you might want to change the descriptive fatalities to just "Fatality 1" "Fatality 2". Kinda ruins the surprise of seeing them the first time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Trav said:

That's dissapointing. It's one of the very things in SPF that makes it fun. This just makes me want to play SPF Online even more now :( Fucking Capcum :mad:

Mzo said:

Hi MZO. Good to see you here on GAF :)

Anyanka said:
Ashrah Voodoo Doll fatality:- D,D,U,U 2 (Up close)
Ashrah Blue Mist Fatality :- F,D,F,D 2 (Sweep)
Ashrah Hari -Kiri:- U,D,U,U 2

Thanks for the move list Anyanka. If I decide to pick up the game I'll certainly referrence this thread. By the way...are you on Xbox Live? What's your name tag? How are finding the Xbox Live experience so far?

Anyanka

Bog said:
In Deadly Alliance, it didn't matter where you were for Fatals. Also, you might want to change the descriptive fatalities to just "Fatality 1" "Fatality 2". Kinda ruins the surprise of seeing them the first time.

Distance matters in MKD.

I don't think the descriptions will ruin anyone's surprise.

No, I'm not on Live. No Broad band.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Anyanka said:
No, I'm not on Live. No Broad band.

cry.gif

ok has anyone finished learning baraka in konquest,

I CANNOT get his one style branching combo to work

its X,X,Y (pops into air) X,X,A,L trigger

sometimes it doesnt register the L trigger or it switches into his stance, no matter what timing I give it

Ive tried the combo by itself XX A Lt and i can nail it everytime....

help!

edit: ok nevermind I went back into the training and it started me off on his special moves...nice bug testing >:|

Vargas

I think this game killed my PS2. The music was fading in and out repeatedly and the game just got stuck on a black screen. I heard the PS2 trying to access the disk but it didn't seem to work. I guess my PS2 is finally dying on me.

Edit: Stupid fucking system. Now the PS2 does not even recognize the damn game. It reads and then says to enter a PS2 or PS1 format disc. Now I have to send this damn thing to Sony.

ok so I beat conquest

now to find liu kang I need to be by a tent in edenia onfriday at 12 am in location g8, G8 IS A FUCKING mountain!?

evil ways

The only thing that pisses me off in Konquest, besides the invisible walls is the fact that you don't get a -to do list, clues on the missions or fetch quests or even map indicators. The mode could've used a better map system, but still it's fun.

Anyanka

Uhh...major warning for anyone starting Konquest. Be certain to open every gold chest and music note you find in the opening village segment! I just realized I missed the Beetle Lair music note and now I'm screwed. I have been playing pretty much non stop since tuesday morning, I was only missing two keys...and now I have to start over(or settle for 99%). Once you leave the village you can't go back. I am so angry now.

I was thinking about picking this up. I was entertained by Deadly Alliance for a while, but got bored because of the confined combo possibilities and general lack of depth (IMO). Still, DA was a fun game for a while. My question is: is this game significantly deeper and more fluid, in terms of combos? Other question: how's the performance on XBL? Laggy? Somewhat laggy? Very playable?

Anyanka

MightyHedgehog said:
My question is: is this game significantly deeper and more fluid, in terms of combos?

No.

I don't think you'd like it for long.

Sounds like it'd be a good rental though.

Kweh

How do i beat
Onaga

I shatter the pedestals around the arena, but i still get my ass handed to me. I gather it has the normal MK boss ability to block all projectiles -.-

Anyanka

Go into the pause menu move list and find a simple 3 or 4 hit string with a strike at the end that staggers him. Abuse it. That's really the only attack you'll need.

Every single thing he does is slow. Just start sidewalking around him to avoid them. Anytime he leaps up either attack him in mid air or jump if you're far away to avoid the ground shaking taunt.

That's basically it. He is SO slow you can sidestep everything he does and get in your quick chain.

IF you get the feeling for it and get it down you won't even need to break the items.

The same thing works on Moloch in MKDA.

Anyanka

Oh god, I am so relieved.

It turns out if you missed anything in the opening village they appear elsewhere later on in the game. I just found the one piece I was missing after looking for HOURS.

I'm only like 4 keys away...

evil ways

Are Shujinko's move only obtainable after I finish Konquest or can I start looking for them as soon as I go into "old man" mode? Last night I got my ass handed a few times by Tanya at Edenia before beating her with cheap pokes and combos.

Anyanka said:
Oh god, I am so relieved.

It turns out if you missed anything in the opening village they appear elsewhere later on in the game. I just found the one piece I was missing after looking for HOURS.

I'm only like 4 keys away...

Thank you for telling me that. I didn't realize you could go into houses until you got through the gate. All the good shit is in Konquest mode.

Top Bottom