• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Sanic

I really don't see any practical use for a 64-bit processor right now. Is there some application niche that needs that kind of floating point precision?

Really stood out to me as just spec waving. Would have happened down the line regardless, but I wonder what their thought process was in doing it now.

T-Matt

Lame rant that I'm sure lots of people think about. I see a post on facebook "why get the gold iPhone when you have to put a case on it anyway." It is kinda ridiculous when I think about all the iPhones I see in ugly cases. The iPhone is not for me, but it is beautiful. I don't even put my galaxy nexus in a case and it is only semi-okay looking.

Lame rant that I'm sure lots of people think about. I see a post on facebook "why get the gold iPhone when you have to put a case on it anyway." It is kinda ridiculous when I think about all the iPhones I see in ugly cases. The iPhone is not for me, but it is beautiful. I don't even put my galaxy nexus in a case and it is only semi-okay looking.

I can't follow the logic of buying a great looking device and slapping a cheap plastic cover over it for "protection". Same deal with screen protectors. If it's wrapped up all the time what's the benefit in protecting it? Resale value? If so, why should you hinder your experience for the purpose of selling it years from now.

Phreaker

All my iPhones have been naked. Some people are horrified when I pull it out of my pocket like that. It always lasts me the two years.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I really don't see any practical use for a 64-bit processor right now. Is there some application niche that needs that kind of floating point precision?

Really stood out to me as just spec waving. Would have happened down the line regardless, but I wonder what their thought process was in doing it now.
Wtf!?!? Various android manufacturers "spec wave" much more trivial features.. Hell make entire ads and campaigns around them ("bumping" anyone) and Apple puts in a technology that will (eventually) truly move the industry forward and it's being called essentially a marketing gimmick?

As for practical use, Adobe had 64-bit versions of Photoshop and Premiere almost at the launch of x86-64 with actual real world performance gains thanks to data moves and larger FLOPs. Heck just basic compression, comparison and physics are three aspects that can see almost immediate gains through 64-bit operations.

The basic end user will never see WHY 64-bit matters (except I guess going above 32-bit memory addressing, aka >4GB), the same way the basic end user never saw WHY 32-bit and even 16-bit mattered. But that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. I guarantee you see some cool shit (well cool fr a counting stand point) within just months after the phone hits.

All my iPhones have been naked. Some people are horrified when I pull it out of my pocket like that. It always lasts me the two years.
Same here. Like everyone I know keeps their phone in a case. I love the design and want fo see the phone as Apple originally intended it. I'm the same way with all the smartphones I've had though to be fair.

amnesiac

Isn't it always right to skip the s version and buy the next one? Also fuck tiny ass screens.

Wrong way around. The S version is the refined, more perfected version of the previous one. Better to have a perfect phone than one with issues. Compare the iPhone 4 antenna to the iPhone 4S'.

borghe

Isn't it always right to skip the s version and buy the next one? Also fuck tiny ass screens.
Not really. There's not much benefit to buying back to back revisions, but every two years is a safe bet.

Typically the non-S sees a dramatic visual hardware feature added and/or form factor changed.

Typically the S versions see a relatively bigger spec bump and frequently more under the hood features.

Back to back you just get one or the other every year. Every other year (it doesn't matter which) means you get both.

I can't follow the logic of buying a great looking device and slapping a cheap plastic cover over it for "protection". Same deal with screen protectors. If it's wrapped up all the time what's the benefit in protecting it? Resale value? If so, why should you hinder your experience for the purpose of selling it years from now.

I'm fine without cases, but screen protectors are a must. Went a week without any and already got a faint scratch on my 4s' screen. Scratchproof my ass.

borghe

I used to do that until I dropped and shattered the glass.
Good luck to you.
I shattered my phone once. It was 100% my dumb ass fault.

My wife shattered hers. Ask her an she will tell you it was 100% her dumb ass fault.

My daughter has never even scratched her 3G that she had for a year, her 4 that she had for two years, or her 5 that she has had for a year. Her phone is her life. She is now 13.

If you aren't stupid or clumsy about it, it isn't any sort of problem whatsoever (again coming from someone who shattered the back of his 4S) Even a child can have 3 different phones over 4 years and never shatter it.

I'm fine without cases, but screen protectors are a must. Went a week without any and already got a faint scratch on my 4s' screen. Scratchproof my ass.

So you'd rather slap a cheap piece of plastic on there to potentially avoid a scratch? I guess it's just a preference but I'd rather just interact with the glass :/

Sanic

Wtf!?!? Various android manufacturers "spec wave" much more trivial features.. Hell make entire ads and campaigns around them ("bumping" anyone) and Apple puts in a technology that will (eventually) truly move the industry forward and it's being called essentially a marketing gimmick?

As for practical use, Adobe had 64-bit versions of Photoshop and Premiere almost at the launch of x86-64 with actual real world performance gains thanks to data moves and larger FLOPs. Heck just basic compression, comparison and physics are three aspects that can see almost immediate gains through 64-bit operations.

The basic end user will never see WHY 64-bit matters (except I guess going above 32-bit memory addressing, aka >4GB), the same way the basic end user never saw WHY 32-bit and even 16-bit mattered. But that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. I guarantee you see some cool shit (well cool fr a counting stand point) within just months after the phone hits.

Er, way to jump down my throat. I never mentioned Android, or anyone. Just taking the situation as it is.

I'm hesistant to say we'll see anything significant come out of this anytime soon, but i'd love to be wrong.

kingocfs

So you'd rather slap a cheap piece of plastic on there to potentially avoid a scratch? I guess it's just a preference but I'd rather just interact with the glass :/

This. Never used one for my 4S and I don't have a single scratch.

Will probably go totally nude on the 5S for a bit to see how it feels, but I've always caved and bought a case at some point.

Vyer

I shattered my phone once. It was 100% my dumb ass fault.

My wife shattered hers. Ask her an she will tell you it was 100% her dumb ass fault.

My daughter has never even scratched her 3G that she had for a year, her 4 that she had for two years, or her 5 that she has had for a year. Her phone is her life. She is now 13.

If you aren't stupid or clumsy about it, it isn't any sort of problem whatsoever (again coming from someone who shattered the back of his 4S) Even a child can have 3 different phones over 4 years and never shatter it.

How is it 'not a problem' if you in fact actually broke a phone?

I mean, of course it's usually 'your fault' when it happens. That doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm sure you and your wife are neither stupid or regularly clumsy or have the coordination of a child, but accidents still happen. That's the point.

Damaging a phone sucks. At the very least you have time wasted as you deal with a damaged phone or go through the process of replacing it. At the worst you have to pay more money to get it replaced/fixed. Not too mention if I have a phone I really like - no dead pixels or other quirks - I don't want to take the chance of rolling the dice again with another device.

I don't buy a phone to impress other people. If I like the look of it it's because I like the look of it. And when I find one I'm happy with, I want it to last and yes be in good shape in case I do sell it

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I would say the opposite! It takes a lot to scratch gorilla glass. Maybe just avoid putting your keys in the same pocket.. And even still, I think you'll be fine.

I had a screen protector for the first year of my 4S... It wore away and I found I much preferred the oleophobic coated screen. It was a greaseball with a protector and now it always looks crystal clear. Not a single scratch in the second year.. And I'm not that careful!

Red Comet

So I've read that there will be no pre-order for the 5S which is disappointing, but does anybody know from experience what time on the 20th that they'll be available for order from the online store? Will they be available for order at midnight, or will it be later in the day?

I don't want to miss out on a gold one.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I've read that there will be no pre-order for the 5S which is disappointing, but does anybody know from experience what time on the 20th that they'll be available for order from the online store? Will they be available for order at midnight, or will it be later in the day?

I don't want to miss out on a gold one.

Where did you read this?

subrock

How are people going from a 4S or 5 dealing with their contracts? I'm 8 months away from the end of my 3yr contract (Rogers) and when I nabbed an iPhone 4. I desperately want in for this phone now and not all the way out in next Spring. What to do. ;(

Call them. You are at the point now in your contract where they will want to lock you in again. Tell them you don't want to have to wait until your contract hits 30 months to do a subsidized upgrade. They'll take care of you. Its worked for me in the past.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That is what it says on Apple's site.

Really hope this isn't true...My wife has been out of contract for many months and has been waiting for an upgrade. I'd really like her NOT to have to wait even longer due to crazy demand.

E: So does that mean the 5C is expected to be the higher demand model or something?

Red Comet

Really hope this isn't true...My wife has been out of contract for many months and has been waiting for an upgrade. I'd really like her NOT to have to wait even longer due to crazy demand.

E: So does that mean the 5C is expected to be the higher demand model or something?

Actually it seems to indicate that supply for the 5S will be constrained unfortunately.

Blackhead

Redarse
Actually it seems to indicate that supply for the 5S will be constrained unfortunately.

I think it indicates the opposite; no need to reserve if there's plenty to go around. They are also selling the unlocked version this year at launch (although that might be more related to the simulateneous launch in China which will discourage scalpers)

IceCold

Scratches are not even visible when the screen is on. Heck, even when the screen is off they are only visible in certain lighting.

Red Comet

I think it indicates the opposite; no need to reserve if there's plenty to go around. They are also selling the unlocked version this year at launch (although that might be more related to the simulateneous launch in China which will discourage scalpers)

Well, I hope you're right, but the article I was reading mentioned that due to the technological advancements in it (specifically the Touch ID) there were lower production yields.

EDIT: Found the article

Goldenhen

I had iPhone 5 in May since then there is no scratch on my iPhone except fine scratches but only visible if you look for it under the sun light. But there is no rainbow effect line on my screen. The key is don't mix your iPhone in your pocket or your bag with other keys or coins etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is what I dislike about Apple, especially since the Android competitors are moving towards 4K screens now
In the end you're still just making the same criticism about Apple's screen size. The pixels per inch of iPhone is still excellent, so any desire for higher resolution is actually a request for a larger screen.

I'd say the majority of people are clumsy cunts like me who probably drop their phone on average once a week. My 3 dollar rubber case has protected my 4S for 2 years and left it without a scratch. It's worth it in my eyes.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that this beautiful device is somewhat enveloped in cheap rubber, but I'd rather it work fine and have a perfect screen than be cracked and scuffed and (probably, in my case) destroyed.

Emarv

I'll never get people who would rather see a push for a 4K screen on a phone before a push for battery life.

Top Bottom