• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

numble

Are there other tech companies raising Australian prices or is it just Apple?

It of course depends on what a company reports as a base currency. For instance, the Japanese Yen has been depreciating as well due to the government's currency manipulation, so the Australian dollar is stronger when buying Japanese goods.

http://www.news.com.au/business/com...ar-prices-higher/story-fnda1bsz-1226667459285

The 9 per cent drop in the Australian dollar compared to the US dollar overnight is not the main problem - only about 5 per cent of imported cars sold in Australia are bought in US dollars.

The bigger issue is that, over the past 12 months, the Australian dollar has fallen by an average of 10 per cent compared with the main foreign currencies imported cars are bought with. Half of all imported vehicles sold in Australia last year came from Europe, Thailand and South Korea.

The exception is the Japanese Yen, which has been accused of being artificially weakened by the Japanese government. Today, $AUD1 buys 11 per cent more Japanese currency than it did at the same time last year. It is one of the main reasons Japanese car prices have been able to limbo to 20-year lows. About 40 per cent of imported cars sold in Australia come from Japan.

This is why Japanese cars are going to be cheaper while American cars will be more expensive in Australia.

Axion22

Margins will definitely be high on the iPhone 5c. I mean the entire back and side is a single piece of polycarboinate as opposed to the iPhone 5S/5 where there was aluminum and glass and the band all separate components.

Inner housing that reinforces the insides and is an antenna...

They definitely banned the black 5 because of margins, but this isn't much of a change. Reduced cost to build but released a "better" product, that was the target.

I really don't know what is up with the foreign prices though. That does suck.

TUSR

Banned
Inner housing that reinforces the insides and is an antenna...

They definitely banned the black 5 because of margins, but this isn't much of a change. Reduced cost to build but released a "better" product, that was the target.

I really don't know what is up with the foreign prices though. That does suck.

Banned the black 5?

numble

Banned the black 5?

They don't make the black iPhone anymore. I think his point was probably that a lot of people were rejecting the black ones with scuff marks, they also probably needed to toss a bunch of them during QC. That was probably very costly for Apple.

Axion22

They don't make the black iPhone anymore. I think his point was probably that a lot of people were rejecting the black ones with scuff marks, they also probably needed to toss a bunch of them during QC. That was probably very costly for Apple.

Yes. Thank you.

Blackhead

Redarse
It of course depends on what a company reports as a base currency. For instance, the Japanese Yen has been depreciating as well due to the government's currency manipulation, so the Australian dollar is stronger when buying Japanese goods.

http://www.news.com.au/business/com...ar-prices-higher/story-fnda1bsz-1226667459285

This is why Japanese cars are going to be cheaper while American cars will be more expensive in Australia.

yeah, yeah I understand the economics, I'm curious to know if Samsung, HTC, LG also changed their prices to match...

But back to more important topics. Who's buying an Apple leather case? What's the best dock? Any other accessories to get (smartwatches, fingerless gloves etc)?

mrkgoo

Watched apple's video about the 5s camera.

It has some really great tech in there.

The two tone flash is a great idea. During flash exposure, it will match the ambient light colour temperature which presumably means that the flash isn't being used as the only light source, and can thus use a bright ambient exposure for better results.

Also, the ability for it to take 4 pictures in lowlight and merge elements from all four for the best image is pretty remarkable too if it works well (and panorama mode worked very well, so I assume this will too).

But burst mode is insane and will be lots of fun. The slow motion feature in videos will be INSANELY fun. You can select a portion of your clip to playback in slow motion.

TUSR

Banned

My perspective was from an engineering one, the process involved in painting the stainless band black wasn't meeting standards so they changed the coating/process involved.

Pretty much saying the same thing two different ways.

Axion22

unless the screen's quality takes a nosedive, i disagree!
some (not necessarily you) here seem to imply anything beyond 4" makes it not a portable device, which strikes me as silly

i think they could go larger if they can reduce the thickness and/or weight in one hand, but that will affect the camera, which they love.

bluestuff

Coming from an Galaxy nexus with abysmal battery life and camera this looks quite tempting. Although having to sign a two year contract with the awful Canadian telecoms does not.

Sold my iPhone 5 on Craigslist for $375 today. Luckily, I'm on the same plan as some family members so I'm going to take their upgrade.

Edit: I guess they are not doing pre-orders.

Danj

When does this come out?

Next week.

f1378836414.jpg

Koodo

Banned
Absolutely no pre-orders for the 5S then? I'm getting vivid flashbacks to the iPhone 4 launch in Canada.

My ass is ready to suffer.

Axion22

I really think they want to regain that opening day line buzz that we know will dominate media coverage that day or two or three.

tsumineko

So will the only place to buy an iphone 5s on launch day be the apple store, or can I go somewhere like jbhifi or harvey Norman?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love how the 5C's look. But this is the phone I'd rather have. Mainly because of all the features. I want that touch ID. I don't really care for the casing. I wonder how many years it'll take for that to trickle down into the 5C. Probably about 2.

Thing that bugs me though is that they sell the gold iPhone... but then sell cases that completely cover the gold coloring except in a small amount of places. So why bother getting a gold one just to cover it up.

I'll get one of these next June when Virgin most likely gets it. Since June 29th seems to be the day they always release the iPhones. Sucks that it's 9 months after release.

Ambitious

Fingerprint data is encrypted and stored only on the device in a dedicated part of the A7 SoC, away from the phone's main flash memory, and never transmitted to Apple/iCloud. Shit, I believe I even read that the entire fingerprint reading and verification is done in hardware (as in, the fingerprint reader hardware never communicates the actual fingerprint to iOS, just whether or not it matches the stored data) for maximum security.

Was this the exact wording? If so, then what about transmitting to other servers?
I certainly won't buy one until this is clarified.

Axion22

So will the only place to buy an iphone 5s on launch day be the apple store, or can I go somewhere like jbhifi or harvey Norman?

carrier stores too i guess but judge their inventory allotment vs how many people will be at your nearest apple store. basically, coin toss.

tsumineko

carrier stores too i guess but judge their inventory allotment vs how many people will be at your nearest apple store. basically, coin toss.

Ok thank you. I've never bought an Apple product outright at launch so I don't know how this works. Guess I'm going to have to wait until things die down and then go to my Apple store to buy one.

mrkgoo

Right? Even the "cheaper" carriers in Canada get iPhones. There is no "prestige" in owning one. They are the defacto standard "smartphone".
Yup.

That said, I do feel the iPhone 5c makes the iPhone 5s a tad more 'pretentious' to me.

Before the iPhone 5 was elegant - just the next iPhone in a series. With two at once and one being more 'playful', it makes the other the sort of 'fancy' version.

I actually really like the iPhone 5c design. It's so clean and simple.

I was hoping it would be 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB configurations for the 5S. I am not sure if I want to pay $400-450 on contract just for the 64GB model. Does not feel like a worthy purchase at that price, but I am sure I will run out of space at 32GB (ran out with my 32GB iPhone 4 that I sold last month in anticipation of the 5S): decisions, decisions.

The colors gives this phone a unique look.. at first glance nobody will make the mistake of thinking you own an iPhone 5. It even comes with a feature that everyone always wanted; finger print sensors. For only $649 could it be a great deal or the greatest deal ever?

After owning both the iphone 3G and then 4 I've finally decided to jump ship to andriod, they just seem kind of...'boring' now. No must have features and the iTunes prerequisite have just turned me off the platform, though I do own an iPad 4 so it's probably a good idea to mix it up anyway. Also the price here in Aus is terrible.

Shearie

Going to be at the Apple store right when it opens to get this. Gonna do that in-store exchange program too with my 4S. Can't decide whether to downgrade to a 16GB to save some money or stick with 32GB. I only use up a little less than 10GB's currently but maybe 16GB's will be too constraining. I might start wanting to make a bunch of useless slo-mo videos for no good reason...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was really happy about the way they described the fingerprint scanner being isolated from software, Internet or iCloud access. The strong intonation suggested to me that they were secretly addressing the recent NSA revelations.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It's funny how NeoGAF adds such a god damn sobering perspective on everything. At work I kept reading in this thread paranoid posts or just people laughing about the fingerprint scanner. Then I get home and see what the thing actually does and holy crap I am blown away.

I know a lot of you probably don't keep your iPhones locked, but I do and this is an AMAZING feature. Can't wait for it when I'm eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 6.

BocoDragon

It's funny how NeoGAF adds such a god damn sobering perspective on everything. At work I kept reading in this thread paranoid posts or just people laughing about the fingerprint scanner. Then I get home and see what the thing actually does and holy crap I am blown away.

I know a lot of you probably don't keep your iPhones locked, but I do and this is an AMAZING feature. Can't wait for it when I'm eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 6.
I didn't keep my phone locked because I learned that the people in my life would unintentionally learn the password just by seeing me unlock it a million times a day. That and the time investment was annoying to my use of the thing. Not that I have secrets to hide, but I just enjoy the peace of mind knowing that no one will pry.

Now I can lock it with cool tech that really doesn't interfere with my usage :D I love the idea.

mrkgoo

I'll admit, the video went some ways convincing me.

I don't like locking my phone, but I don't like MORE than that is having to type my password into find my friends all the time so I had to turn on the lock. I set it to 4 hours so I only basically see it when I wake up.

If I had a 5S, I guess that becomes moot and I can lock it more frequently.

Well, in theory. I don't really have much of any finger prints any more so I highly doubt it would work for me consistently.

Protocol7

I have an iPhone since the 3G.
This year's Keynote is the first time I don't identify myself to Apple's brand, it's not something for geeks or nerds anymore it's just a bling bling piece of tech for people who just want to show-off and play Candy Crush Saga...

I'm disappointed... Let's hope the 6 will be more interesting... And bring a new design...

I'm also curious how well the fingerprint reader works, this should be a standard in all phones seeing how people store, access more and more sensible data in them, make epayments etc...

BocoDragon

I'll admit, the video went some ways convincing me.

I don't like locking my phone, but I don't like MORE than that is having to type my password into find my friends all the time so I had to turn on the lock. I set it to 4 hours so I only basically see it when I wake up.

If I had a 5S, I guess that becomes moot and I can lock it more frequently.

Well, in theory. I don't really have much of any finger prints any more so I highly doubt it would work for me consistently.
If the iPhone consistently fails to read your fingerprints, I recommend you become a badass art thief or something.

Top Bottom