• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

giga

How are people going from a 4S or 5 dealing with their contracts? I'm 8 months away from the end of my 3yr contract (Rogers) and when I nabbed an iPhone 4. I desperately want in for this phone now and not all the way out in next Spring. What to do. ;(
Sell your phone and buy it unlocked outright. And never sign another contract in the future.

Mistah

I'll wait until the iphone 6 then. apple is losing it innovation tbh :/ also apple was before more secretly now everything gets leaked months ahead :/

Magnus

Sell your phone and buy it unlocked outright. And never sign another contract in the future.

Who in the world would buy a two and a half year old iPhone 4 for anything more than $100 knowing full well their owner probably dropped it 50 times?

If I could even get $100 I wouldn't want the hassle of the buyer coming back to me complaining that the battery's crappy or something cracked when they dropped it, etc.

giga

Who in the world would buy a two and a half year old iPhone 4 for anything more than $100 knowing full well their owner probably dropped it 50 times?

If I could even get $100 I wouldn't want the hassle of the buyer coming back to me complaining that the battery's crappy or something cracked when they dropped it, etc.
Keep your 4 as a backup and buy the 5S unlocked.

Boof

no. they don’t.

give it up. buy an Android

I own a galaxy s4 but I do miss the refinement of iOS and the look of iOS 7 is very enticing. I also own new iMac and Macbook Air so I do miss the intergration but the screen on the S4 is unmatched...

mrkgoo

Check out the burst mode at the 1m mark here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7308/apple-iphone-5s-hands-on-video

Jesus.

That's awesome.

I would definitely use such a feature - for kids it will be great! you will always get that shot!

People underestimate the camera upgrades, because all they care about is specific camera hardware improvements, neglecting that software plays a HUGE part in how images turn out.

Also, the 120 fps video will be SO much fun!

(I have an iPhone5 and can't afford to upgrade :( )

Will get dat black iPhone 5S.

Did they change the color of the metal for the black iPhone? Looks cooler, more like silver, in those pics. I liek.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
64-bit processor isn't just a "spec bump"

32-bit versus 64-bit really isn't a relevant spec difference if you're fixed to 4 GB or less RAM. Is this phone using more than 4 GB RAM?

The IPC of these cores may be faster than the previous rev, but it doesn't have to do with 64-bit.

CronoShot

$719 CDN. That'd be $812 after tax here.

I....just can't do that. That's two PS4s basically.

Not sure what you expect us to tell you then.

- You're currently in a contract for 8 more months
- You don't want to pay for an unlocked 5S
- You think your iPhone 4 has little to no value, so trading it in or selling it won't help much

Only thing you could do now is maybe buy a cheap used 4S or 5. Wouldn't be a 5S, but it would be an upgrade for the next 8 months at least.

mrkgoo

Check out the burst mode at the 1m mark here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7308/apple-iphone-5s-hands-on-video

Jesus.

Hmm. Also, I heard there was some algorithm to select the 'best' image for you. No doubt it won't be all that great at selecting, but it's a nice touch that makes the feature much more useable, in typical Apple fashion. Does it at least offer you to discard teh rest after selecting the 'best' one for you? manually selecting dozens of photos after wards for deletion doesn't sound cool.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just so you have the option to change carriers to find a better deal someday?

As far as the resale value of the phone is concerned, a lot of carriers will now unlock the phones for a small $50 fee.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
32-bit versus 64-bit really isn't a relevant spec difference if you're fixed to 4 GB or less RAM. Is this phone using more than 4 GB RAM?

The IPC of these cores may be faster than the previous rev, but it doesn't have to do with 64-bit.
You know that 64-bit has to do with more than memory right? Memory addressing is just one aspect of moving to 64-bit processin. There is also 64-bit floating point precision and calculation, as well as CPU operations on 64-bit data. Epic showed off really cool Unreal tools almost a decade ago utilizing 64-bit processing... Long before 4GB workstations were even a reality.

mrkgoo

Yes it is. Do you honestly think the iPhone 6 will stay at a 4" screen?

I don't think there are any givens at this stage.

Apple MIGHT change, they might not.

It really depends on the public - things like that could be a passing 'fad'. Look at netbooks for example. Back in their hey day, they were all the rage. Everyone was expecting one from Apple, and said teh same thing - "Apple just HAS to bring out a cheap netbook!". Instead, they brought out an ultrabook. And look where laptops are now.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm an idiot.

Yup

Not even going to edit that. Please mock me.

If you don't deal with software a lot, basically 32-bit CPUs limit you to a 32-bit memory address space. Memory in this case being RAM. That ends up being 4 GiB (2^32=4,294,967,296 = 4 GiB). GiB is Gibibytes, which is power of 2 and to a certain extent reasonably close to GB Gigabytes (4,000,000,000 Bytes).

When looking at performance you should look at core speed and core instructions per cycle (IPC). That's harder to do with ARM chips. x86 has a bunch of benchmarks that give you realistic estimates of core performance.

You know that 64-bit has to do with more than memory right? Memory addressing is just one aspect of moving to 64-bit processin. There is also 64-bit floating point precision and calculation, as well as CPU operations on 64-bit data. Epic showed off really cool Unreal tools almost a decade ago utilizing 64-bit processing... Long before 4GB workstations were even a reality.

That's true. I'm not familiar with mobile, but Apple does seem quick to ditch backwards compatibility in favor of new hardware so maybe they're using it. In desktop space with enterprise software, many apps use ancient instruction sets.

Jesus.

Nice vid.

It does look like fingerprints are optional atleast.
SI21x7B.png

PvNFKeA.png

Everything looks smooth..im sort of back on board now. I just need confirmation on how the actual battery life is. I've seen some terrible battery life experiences from iP5 owners I know

Im just bummed about the same screen size. I know people are annoyed that everyone keeps bringing that up, but obviously there is a high demand for it.

Considering how conservative Apple is with RAM upgrades in iPhones, it will be at least 3 years before an iPhone owner actually sees a benefit from 64-bit applications.
But of course, it now turns into a bullet point that makes the phone faster.

Should've saved an introduction for an iPad event where it might actually be relevant sooner.

I do like the space grey color much more than the black 5 and think it will show wear much, much better as well. As someone on T-Mobile, I don't see a reason to spend the extra money for it over a secondhand 5 unfortunately.

cube444

why do you think so?

I hear a lot of people who own iPhone 5s and it's probably their only gripe with the phone. Apple has also been recently testing larger screens to get a feel for a sweet spot. I see them doing it in a Moto-X type of bezel which allows them to maintain their form factor.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
That's true. I'm not familiar with mobile, but Apple does seem quick to ditch backwards compatibility in favor of new hardware so maybe they're using it. In desktop space with enterprise software, many apps use ancient instruction sets.
Everything compiled going forward looks like it will be compiled with both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries in the .app bundle. Still looking at how it's going to handle .app bundles with only 32-bit binaries in it. Should be trivial for new apps though as you can't develop ios7 apps on a 32-bit CPU or OS.

Fuchsdh

Nice vid.

It does look like fingerprints are optional atleast.

Everything looks smooth..im sort of back on board now. I just need confirmation on how the actual battery life is. I've seen some terrible battery life experiences from iP5 owners I know

Im just bummed about the same screen size. I know people are annoyed that everyone keeps bringing that up, but obviously there is a high demand for it.

I'm pretty sure if Apple was going to make a larger screen phone, they would have done it with the iPhone 5--we got their answer and it was the largest screen size without significantly impacting the UX from the original size. Personally while I can see a narrow set of cases where I might want a larger screen, portability trumps them for me. My 4S is the perfect size, and I think the 5 is the limit of what I'd want from a phone. It sucks that large displays are so in vogue; if I really wanted a choice of phones at the sub 4" level there's not much there.

I guarantee Gold is going to be the most popular color. Were going to have a lot of girls and urban men wanting that one.

Lol, "urban men"? I'm straight, live in the suburbs and I'd definitely get one. I really like the contrast with the white accents, and from a practical standpoint I expect the gold is the most likely to not show scuffs and smudges as easily.

Really, really bummed they pushed the prices higher here in Australia without increasing the capacity. $1000 for a 32gb model (currently have a One XL 32gb which is too full) is so hard to justify.

Juice

BOOO.

I've been upgrading my wife and I at launch on Att every single year and this year, At&t is offering NO subsidy at all until 10/15, at which point the 16GB will be $449. Lame! My gazelle quote will be dead by then

Quick

Banned
BOOO.

I've been upgrading my wife and I at launch on Att every single year and this year, At&t is offering NO subsidy at all until 10/15, at which point the 16GB will be $449. Lame! My gazelle quote will be dead by then

Guess you'll have to use year old hardware for a little longer.

THE HORROR.

elfinke

Fucking christ the 5c (pretty unfortunate nomenclature there, 5cents) is expensive in Australia. $739, damn.

We haven't upgraded our iPhone4's and were pretty much done with Apple phones (iPads have more or less replaced them and all we need are phone and txt machines these days) but I was kind-of, semi-interested at $500 to buy a pair of new ones outright, given Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505's are frequently available under $500 via grey import.

Ah well, the 4's will live on another few months I guess!

Top Bottom