• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Axion22

In the end you're still just making the same criticism about Apple's screen size. The pixels per inch of iPhone is still excellent, so any desire for higher resolution is actually a request for a larger screen.

Seriously, just look at one. They're great as is.

Juice

How is it 'not a problem' if you in fact actually broke a phone?

I mean, of course it's usually 'your fault' when it happens. That doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm sure you and your wife are neither stupid or regularly clumsy or have the coordination of a child, but accidents still happen. That's the point.

Damaging a phone sucks. At the very least you have time wasted as you deal with a damaged phone or go through the process of replacing it. At the worst you have to pay more money to get it replaced/fixed. Not too mention if I have a phone I really like - no dead pixels or other quirks - I don't want to take the chance of rolling the dice again with another device.

I don't buy a phone to impress other people. If I like the look of it it's because I like the look of it. And when I find one I'm happy with, I want it to last and yes be in good shape in case I do sell it

Apple's QC is so good that I can't imagine someone often having legit grounds to refuse a replacement. Between retail and replacement iPhones I've probably owned 20 or so between my wife and I. Never a dead pixel. Never a day one defect.

Magnus

Call them. You are at the point now in your contract where they will want to lock you in again. Tell them you don't want to have to wait until your contract hits 30 months to do a subsidized upgrade. They'll take care of you. Its worked for me in the past.

I like how you think. So, I mean, what's the process? I call, renegotiate this in advance of the 5S release, and get them to essentially flag my account for a 5S upgrade? And then I actually go to the store whenever I can and get one?

btrboyev

Seriously, just look at one. They're great as is.

even at 4", apple could update the resolution..it's a 16:9 screen and it's not even 720P. It's PPI for the res is good, but it's screen has been very far passed up by the competition and it's not even close. Giving it a high res screen doesn't mean the size needs to change.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Till Apple does it, then that higher resolution is great right?

He's probably referring to my comment about the pixels per inch... which is objectively good enough for human eyes. If they increased it, it would be alright, but hardly noticeable.

even at 4", apple could update the resolution..it's a 16:9 screen and it's not even 720P. It's PPI for the res is good, but it's screen has been very far passed up by the competition and it's not even close. Giving it a high res screen doesn't mean the size needs to change.

No actually, if they increased the resolution at the current screen size, your eyes would hardly even notice. It would be a piece of trivia.

Those Androids have 1080P screens because they are bigger, at a rougly similar PPI to the iPhone (I know a few are slightly higher... but it's not something that you'd even notice).

The prices are absolutely criminal in Australia.

The 'cheaper' 5c is 740 dollars. For reference, the 4S 16GB launched in Australia for $799 outright.

The 5S will be 869 for the 16GB. $130 difference?! Absolute madness.

AllenShrz

I guess I did to to change to Android.

Another thing, I don't feel ok with giving my biometrics to Apple and therefore the US government.

subrock

I like how you think. So, I mean, what's the process? I call, renegotiate this in advance of the 5S release, and get them to essentially flag my account for a 5S upgrade? And then I actually go to the store whenever I can and get one?

yep, exactly. Call them, be polite but don't take no for an answer. You may need to threaten your contract to get traction. Express frustration if you talk to someone understanding. Say you mostly like your contract if it weren't for the BS waiting time/fees/rates. The goal is to be sent to the retentions dept if you don't get anything from a low level CSR. They know full well that new iPhone time is an excellent time to grab customers. Try to get a better contract while you are at it.

They should put a note on your account to mark you for an upgrade.

vctor182

No actually, if they increased the resolution at the current screen size, your eyes would hardly even notice. It would be a piece of trivia.

Those Androids have 1080P screens because they are bigger, at a rougly similar PPI to the iPhone (I know a few are slightly higher... but it's not something that you'd even notice).
are the galaxy s4 or HTC one minis screen 720p? Their sizes are 4 inch right?

numble

The prices are absolutely criminal in Australia.

The 'cheaper' 5c is 740 dollars. For reference, the 4S 16GB launched in Australia for $799 outright.

The 5S will be 869 for the 16GB. $130 difference?! Absolute madness.

This is the probable reason, though you probably won't like it:
https://www.google.com/finance?q=audusd&ei=e-EvUsimFYS6lQOkNQ

A ~10% drop in the value of the Australian dollar over the past year, translates to a 10% increase in price.

BocoDragon

yep, exactly. Call them, be polite but don't take no for an answer. You may need to threaten your contract to get traction. Express frustration if you talk to someone understanding. Say you mostly like your contract if it weren't for the BS waiting time/fees/rates. The goal is to be sent to the retentions dept if you don't get anything from a low level CSR. They know full well that new iPhone time is an excellent time to grab customers. Try to get a better contract while you are at it.

They should put a note on your account to mark you for an upgrade.

Actually in my experience, Rogers will be open and willing to have people extend their contract and get a new phone.

I guess I did to to change to Android.

Another thing, I don't feel ok with giving my biometrics to Apple and therefore the US government.

You don't think they already have them? Seriously?

EDIT: Unless you're not in the US, in which case I guess it could be justified.

Guess Who

Banned

Fingerprint data is encrypted and stored only on the device in a dedicated part of the A7 SoC, away from the phone's main flash memory, and never transmitted to Apple/iCloud. Shit, I believe I even read that the entire fingerprint reading and verification is done in hardware (as in, the fingerprint reader hardware never communicates the actual fingerprint to iOS, just whether or not it matches the stored data) for maximum security.

I have a 5, and while I do think the fingerprint scanner is cool, I'm not sure it's enough.

Is anyone else with a 5 looking at the Lumia 1020? Dat camera.

BocoDragon

are the galaxy s4 or HTC one minis screen 720p? Their sizes are 4 inch right?

They are both 1080 x 1920 and they are actually 5 inches and 4.7 inches, respectively.

They both have slightly higher PPI than iPhone 5... but they actually get to that 1080 resolution mostly with their screen size.

I really want the gold one, but... I was really hoping they'd release a black and gold version. All I've seen is white and gold, though. I guess I'll probably end up with the black and slate grey one, since I've got a white 4S now and am ready for something different. Hopefully they'll surprise me by October :D

amnesiac

I really want the gold one, but... I was really hoping they'd release a black and gold version. All I've seen is white and gold, though. I guess I'll probably end up with the black and slate grey one, since I've got a white 4S now and am ready for something different. Hopefully they'll surprise me by October :D

I was going to get the gold until I realized it had white glass. Makes it look bad.

numble

That's silly though, the dollar value wasn't that high when the 4S launched right? I'm pretty sure that was long before we gained parity with the USD.

Yes it was. The 4S launched on Oct. 14 2011, when 1 Australian dollar was worth 1.02 US dollars. Today, 1 Australian dollar is worth around 0.93 US dollars. Not exactly a 10% drop (8.8% drop in value), but the price is not exactly a 10% increase (the price increase is 8.76%).

Blackhead

Redarse
That's silly though, the dollar value wasn't that high when the 4S launched right? I'm pretty sure that was long before we gained parity with the USD.

And besides it's not like Apple is moving that money back into the US. They'd rather keep it offshore to avoid taxes. It's not just Australia as prices went up in all international Apple stores. It'll boost their margins even higher.

Lima

They are both 1080 x 1920 and they are actually 5 inches and 4.7 inches, respectively.

They both have slightly higher PPI than iPhone 5... but they actually get to that 1080 resolution mostly with their screen size.

He was talking about the minis.

HTC One mini is 4.3" at 1280x720

Galaxy S4 mini is 4.3" too but 960x540 (that thing is a piece of shit)

numble

And besides it's not like Apple is moving that money back into the US. They'd rather keep it offshore to avoid taxes. It's not just Australia as prices went up in all international Apple stores. It'll boost their margins even higher.

The quarterly financial reports are reported in US dollars. So if they sold a 799 Australian dollar iPhone in 2011, it is $814 US revenue reported on the revenue sheet in 2011. In 2013, a 799 Australian dollar iPhone is $742 US revenue reported on the revenue sheet.

If you follow the popular financial threads in the Gaming Side, you would know how big a factor the company's financial currency reporting is to their quarterly reports, especially with the recent Japanese yen depreciation.

BocoDragon

He was talking about the minis.

HTC One mini is 4.3" at 1280x720

Galaxy S4 mini is 4.3" too but 960x540 (that thing is a piece of shit)

I filtered out the word mini because I didn't know they exist! I guess I was travelling when they were announced.

Blackhead

Redarse
The quarterly financial reports are reported in US dollars. So if they sold a 799 Australian dollar iPhone in 2011, it is $814 US revenue reported on the revenue sheet in 2011. In 2013, a 799 Australian dollar iPhone is $742 US revenue reported on the revenue sheet.

If you follow the popular financial threads in the Gaming Side, you would know how big a factor the company's financial currency reporting is to their quarterly reports, especially with the recent Japanese yen depreciation.

What's the excuse for the European price increase then?

fwiw Gaming companies have to exchange their cash to maintain flow for their operations. Apple has mkre than enough to let their foreign reserves sit until they gain a better rate. They don't need to pass on the fluctuating currency rates to the consumers.

subrock

Fingerprint data is encrypted and stored only on the device in a dedicated part of the A7 SoC, away from the phone's main flash memory, and never transmitted to Apple/iCloud. Shit, I believe I even read that the entire fingerprint reading and verification is done in hardware (as in, the fingerprint reader hardware never communicates the actual fingerprint to iOS, just whether or not it matches the stored data) for maximum security.

Given that they are likely looking for government and enterprise accounts with this feature, I expect it to be bomb proof.

tsumineko

Yes it was. The 4S launched on Oct. 14 2011, when 1 Australian dollar was worth 1.02 US dollars. Today, 1 Australian dollar is worth around 0.93 US dollars. Not exactly a 10% drop (8.8% drop in value), but the price is not exactly a 10% increase (the price increase is 8.76%).

Oh right. Guess we just have to deal with it.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I'd much rather a new product be unveiled that shows innovation. A few standard upgrades are fine and expected, but when new types of products are years in between, then these conferences become boring and predictable.

I only mention this because Apple is highly regarded, and so it should be expected that new things are presented.

Or am I overly critical?

I'd much rather a new product be unveiled that shows innovation. A few standard upgrades are fine and expected, but when new types of products are years in between, then these conferences become boring and predictable.

I only mention this because Apple is highly regarded, and so it should be expected that new things are presented.

Or am I overly critical?

Nope. I used to get pretty eager for these things, but I'm just finishing watching up the conference and these things really aren't all that special anymore. They've really lost a lot of the allure.

kingocfs

Or am I overly critical?

True innovation in this sense just doesn't come very often.

This is the probable reason, though you probably won't like it:
https://www.google.com/finance?q=audusd&ei=e-EvUsimFYS6lQOkNQ

A ~10% drop in the value of the Australian dollar over the past year, translates to a 10% increase in price.

Bullshit, the dollar when the 4S was released was 97 cents. It's currently 93 cents. It only jumped to $1.05 last year.

No excuse really. The 5c is just overpriced in general though. It needed to be around 500 dollars AUD to justify the 'cheap' claim and really grab the public goodwill. At 740 dollars its a laughable price. The mainstream media is already critical:

Ooeonri.png

numble

What's the excuse for the European price increase then?

In the UK the price has increased by 20 pounds (3.7%) and the pound had decreased by 3% since last year.

The French and German price went up 20 Euros (2.9%) but the Euro has stayed the same. The VAT is increasing by 2% in France, I don't know about what's going on in Germany.

But it is clear that the large Australian price changes are attributable to changes in its currency value.

numble

Bullshit, the dollar when the 4S was released was 97 cents. It's currently 93 cents. It only jumped to $1.05 last year.

No excuse really. The 5c is just overpriced in general though. It needed to be around 500 dollars AUD to justify the 'cheap' claim and really grab the public goodwill. At 740 dollars its a laughable price. The mainstream media is already critical:

Ooeonri.png

It's not bullshit. You can look it up yourself. The 4S launched on Oct. 14 2011.

1 AUD to USD conversion on that date was $1.03:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+aud+to+usd+on+october+14,+2011

It's not bullshit. You can look it up yourself. The 4S launched on Oct. 14 2011.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+aud+to+usd+on+october+14,+2011

Yeah, sorry about that, I thought it launched in September 2011, not October. There was a 2c difference.

But the price is bullshit. Way overpriced. Indefensible really, and confusing. There's not enough price differential to justify the 5c in Australia. I'm sure many idiots will buy it anyway for the colour, but anyone with any nous will just buy the 5S and bank on the higher resell value down the line to justify the extra 100 bucks.

The Financial Review was saying there's a 100 dollar difference between the current 5 model and the 5S. Is that justified?

Cloudy

Banned
I'm chuckling about some of the fingerprint paranoia. What exactly can be done with a random person's fingerprint anyway?

Blackhead

Redarse
Who claimed this?
Well 24hrs ago analysts were saying that the 5C was Apple's plan to please investors by going for marketshare in high growth markets like India and China (based in part on Cook's comments during the earnings conference calls). After that price shocker, the new line is that Apple's plan is to please investors by higher margins. *shrug*
Yeah, sorry about that, I thought it launched in September 2011, not October. There was a 2c difference.

But the price is bullshit. Way overpriced. Indefensible really, and confusing. There's not enough price differential to justify the 5c in Australia. I'm sure many idiots will buy it anyway for the colour, but anyone with any nous will just buy the 5S and bank on the higher resell value down the line to justify the extra 100 bucks.

The Financial Review was saying there's a 100 dollar difference between the current 5 model and the 5S. Is that justified?
Are there other tech companies raising Australian prices or is it just Apple?

Axion22

Well 24hrs ago analysts were saying that the 5C was Apple's plan to please investors by going for marketshare in high growth markets like India and China (based in part on Cook's comments during the quaterly conference calls). After that price shocker, the new line is that Apple's plan is to please investors by higher margins. *shrug*

Are there other tech companies raising Australian prices or is it just Apple?

Citing media that was wrong again? Oh ok.

badb0y

Margins will definitely be high on the iPhone 5c. I mean the entire back and side is a single piece of polycarboinate as opposed to the iPhone 5S/5 where there was aluminum and glass and the band all separate components.

Top Bottom