• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Kurdel

Banned
I feel tempted to get the new iPhone, but this is an iPad year for me.

I just spent a frustrating week with Android and I am glad to be back on iOS 7. The only thing I miss is the Nexus 4 screen size.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Was this the exact wording? If so, then what about transmitting to other servers?
I certainly won't buy one until this is clarified.
Exact wording was that its never transmitted and stored on the secure onclave on th A7. What can be inferred by this:

It's never transmitted anywhere. Not even on the phone BUS. The A7 accesses it directly on the A7 itself.

It's not stored on the file system. Means jailbreaks, hacks and iExlorer will not have access to it.

Not that it matters, but right now third parties don't even have access to the "yes/no" portion of fingerprint security.

Tl;dr unless apple has some serious root kit level shit in there for the NSA that they're not telling us about, it sounds like it would be near impossible to make this more secure than what they've already done.

snacknuts

we all knew her
http://owened.co.nz/android-is-better-not-if-you-look-deeper

Another response to the Stamatiou post that covers more ground.

This just reiterates that it all comes down to personal preference, as I disagree with almost everything this guy says. Since getting my first smartphone (an iPhone 3GS) four years ago, I have used iOS for a year and a half (plus another six months with an iPad) and Android for 2.5 years. I understand why some people like iOS; it's fast, it's smooth, it has a great selection of apps and is far ahead of Android for games. But for the way I use my phone, Android is 100% better. I don't know why people like that article's author spend so much time trying to convince others that the mobile OS of their choice is the best, which is why I won't bother going point by point through the article to show why I disagree. To each their own.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Never leaves the phone.

31v89fX.png

LCfiner

This just reiterates that it all comes down to personal preference, as I disagree with almost everything this guy says. Since getting my first smartphone (an iPhone 3GS) four years ago, I have used iOS for a year and a half (plus another six months with an iPad) and Android for 2.5 years. I understand why some people like iOS; it's fast, it's smooth, it has a great selection of apps and is far ahead of Android for games. But for the way I use my phone, Android is 100% better. I don't know why people like that article's author spend so much time trying to convince others that the mobile OS of their choice is the best, which is why I won't bother going point by point through the article to show why I disagree. To each their own.

If you think that was the point of the article, then you missed the point of the article. He was very clear that different devices will be better for different people.

borghe

Why is Touch ID being underwritten as a gimmick? If this feature debuted on the S4 you bet we'd be hearing about how awesome it is.
Biggest problem I see with marketing Touch ID is its limited use. Unlocking the phone and buying Apps, music and movies. I get WHY Apple did that, but the fact remains that currently it's limited and answering a question not many people were asking.

With that being said!!!!! If/when they open up that fingerprint check to third parties in the API... THAT could be a truly revolutionary step. If they would allow me to say, assign certain fingerprints to my banking app, assign DIFFERENT fingerprints to different apps, etc. I mean seriously.... They could solve the password crisis that has been plaguing computing for 50+ years with one OS upgrade.

Was there any indication about the amount of RAM in the 5s? I'm hopeful of 2 gigs but doubtful.
Pretty sure it was either a slide or post-conference interview that said 1GB.

But to be truthful developers haven't been slamming their heads against 1GB yet so I'm not quite clear why users are wanting more. As some more intense apps move to 64-bit processing and data we'll probably see the start of those devs needing more than 1GB, but that won't be for months to bring home the point... Why then include the extra 1GB now instead of waiting til next year.

I do expect the new iPads to have 2GB though. Will actually be surprised if they don't. And as said I do expect the iPhone 6 to have 2GB. By that point devs of 64-bit intensive apps will almost certainly be running into constraints.

Kurdel

Banned
What was frustrating?

I felt the Nexus 4 touch screen wasn't as responsive as the iPhone 5s or any other iOS devoce I have owned in the past. I found myself pressing like 3 or 4 times the adress bar for it to register and allow to go to a new website.

The call quality was bad, with a constant hiss coming out of the earphone.

While I miss the screen size in theory, in practice I much prefer to have a one handed phone.

For someone who likes to have his OS in english, but who has to type more french than english, the auto correct BS was a nightmare. I am sure I could have fiddled around more, but I find it amazing that even if I turn off Auto correct, it still wants to change my words. Probably just the Google keyboard that is horseshit in that regard, I did not buy that other one everyone talks about.

Emwitus

I felt the Nexus 4 touch screen wasn't as responsive as the iPhone 5s or any other iOS devoce I have owned in the past. I found myself pressing like 3 or 4 times the adress bar for it to register and allow to go to a new website.

While I miss the screen size in theory, in practice I much prefer to have a one handed phone.

For someone who likes to have his OS in english, but who has to type more french than english, the auto correct BS was a nightmare. I am sure I could have fiddled around more, but I find it amazing that even if I turn off Auto correct, it still wants to change my words. Probably just the Google keyboard that is horseshit in that regard, I did not buy that other one everyone talks about.

That's sounds like issues with the phone not android

TwIsTeD

Every other year Apple releases a "marginal" upgrade to its iPhone line.....they never force you to upgrade so i`m not sure why the world gets soo pissed off about it.

And somebody please tell me what android phone that came out in 2010 is still getting regular updates?

And on a side note i`m only bitter that my og iPad cant download a damn app these days.....there i`m pissed at Apple too haha

1GB of ram is bad news for me. I absolutely hate when my Chrome tabs have to reload just because I opened Twitter to write a small twit :(

Oppo

Biggest problem I see with marketing Touch ID is its limited use. Unlocking the phone and buying Apps, music and movies. I get WHY Apple did that, but the fact remains that currently it's limited and answering a question not many people were asking.

With that being said!!!!! If/when they open up that fingerprint check to third parties in the API... THAT could be a truly revolutionary step. If they would allow me to say, assign certain fingerprints to my banking app, assign DIFFERENT fingerprints to different apps, etc. I mean seriously.... They could solve the password crisis that has been plaguing computing for 50+ years with one OS upgrade.

I think this is the real target. There are "1 Password" type functions in Mavericks as well. Could easily see MacBooks and even their desktop trackpads and stuff shipping with a Touch ID sensor.

Chucker

I'm on the S Schedule and I have an upgrade available. Selling my 4S on eBay and getting a 5S for almost free.

I thought they said preorders would start on the 13th, or was that just for the 5C?

n64coder

I'm thinking of finally getting a smartphone, specifically the new iphone since I'll be able to deduct as a business expense. I'm planning to go with StraighTalk prepaid. Aren't the iphones universal at this point? That is, they'll work with any provider as long as you have the correct SIM card?

My only real issue with iOS and iPhones in general is a solid half of my apps are things I never use.

I wish I could remove some of the Apple apps, or at least hide them.

Edit: I also would like to change default apps, so I could have everything open with Chrome, for example.

IceCold

I don't have those problems with my nexus 4. Very smooth and responsive. As for the keyboard, you can set different languages and it will auto correct and predict words properly. Obviously swiftkey is better since you don't need to switch the language of your keyboard for this.

Ça fonctionne très bien ;)

Posted using nexus 4.

Tom_Cody

I love the new leather case. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/accessories/#iphone-5s-cases

This will be my first iPhone. Should I be worried about durability if I use this case? I see some monster cases out there but I've never had trouble with my ipod touch in the 3 years that I've used it. I largely want a case to prevent scratching but I'm curious to hear what ya'll have to say beyond that.

Hatty

why are Android users so defensive?

It seems that every year after every apple announcement they seem to be the only ones complaining about it and touting how android still has better hardware and software and that there's no reason to still use an iPhone completely ignoring personal preferences

this happens in pretty much every thread that has a piece of iPhone news or anytime people discuss iPhones

its very tiring

IceCold

I love the new leather case. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it.

This will be my first iPhone. Should I be worried about durability if I use this case? I see some monster cases out there but I've never had trouble with my ipod touch in the 3 years that I've used it. I largely want a case to prevent scratching but I'm curious to hear what ya'll have to say beyond that.

It will protect from scratches and scuffs but pray it doesn't fall on its screen. It's a nice case but makes the 5s look like a 5c imo.

Ledsen

I honestly can't believe they're releasing a 4" phone with some slight upgrades and still charging as much as they do. I still see no reason to upgrade from my iPhone 4 tbh. What I really want is a Note 3, dat 5,7"! Realistically, since I know not everyone likes giant phones, Apple should go to at least 4,5", which is still nice and small. I love iOS reliability and apps but god damn if Apple don't seem like a huge, lumbering colossus unwilling to get with the times. Tiny screens seem so backwards.

It seems that every year after every apple announcement they seem to be the only ones complaining about it and touting how android still has better hardware and software and that there's no reason to still use an iPhone completely ignoring personal preferences

this happens in pretty much every thread that has a piece of iPhone news or anytime people discuss iPhones

its very tiring

Complaining is platform agnostic. I see Apple, Windows, Blackberry and Android users complain about these events every time they happen -- for a wide, vast range of reasons.

People just like to complain, puff their chests, etc. Don't let it get you down, friend.

its very tiring

Certainly from my perspective I'm coming from an Apple background, so complaints are from experience. As you say, it's personal preferences at the end of the day.

Number45

Yeah, I like them as well. Interested how it holds up around the edges, and as said nervous about the lack of screen protection.I have a 4S at the moment and keep mine in a Sena slip case, so I get both protection and nakedness, which has served me well.

Been on iOS 7 GM for most of the day and while I have the beta on my ipad, i'm not liking some of the smaller changes to the os, not very keen on the new style of buttons and look, feels like a step backwards IMO.

Also the clock fading in when you press a button to light up the screen is annoying, I want to know the time, not wait 1 seconds for it to fade into view.

I am ready to order my iPhone 5S. My 4S is working fine but I want to jump ship from AT&T to Verizon but have to wait until Oct. 7 to do so. My contract ends then and I don't want to pay an ETF this close to the end. First time I won't be buying my iPhone on launch day.

I'm happy to see that Apple has released a dock for the new iPhones. I have a dock that my phone sits in next to my bed and I was lamenting the fact that I'd have to give it up soon.

The new leather cases look interesting too. I've never used a case on my iPhone and probably won't start now, but these look like good choices.

Cheech

I can appreciate the spirit of this thing, but holding your wallet up to your head to talk on the phone seems even sillier than holding up a giant phablet.

I don't often talk on my phone itself, and I've long wanted something like this to get some of my shit out of my wallet.

The thing that stops me is I use my phone in an armband for exercise, and the constant in and out would be a pain in the ass.

Venfayth

I can appreciate the spirit of this thing, but holding your wallet up to your head to talk on the phone seems even sillier than holding up a giant phablet.

I dunno. I have big hands, it covers up most of it anyway.

More to the point I really don't care about looking silly. I'm not using this case for the way it looks; I'm using it because it saves me a pocket.

This is what I dislike about Apple, especially since the Android competitors are moving towards 4K screens now

Man, 4K is such overkill. I hope they really aren't moving towards that.

Why is Touch ID being underwritten as a gimmick? If this feature debuted on the S4 you bet we'd be hearing about how awesome it is.

What are you talking about? Everyone complains the S4 is full of gimmicks.

borghe

1GB of ram is bad news for me. I absolutely hate when my Chrome tabs have to reload just because I opened Twitter to write a small twit :(

Nothing to indicate that this is caused by only 1GB. Nothing to indicate having more than 1GB will fix this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

As someone who works with data privacy issues on a daily basis, I find it hilarious that people are concerned with the iphone's storage and handling of their personal fingerprint while, at the same time, ignoring the other 2,000 much, much larger privacy issues that exist and impact them on a daily basis. I'm always floored by how little people know about where their personal information is and what's being done with it.

Gamerloid

• A7 chip with 64-bit architecture
  • M7 motion co-processor
  • Fingerprint identity sensor built into the Home button
  • 8 megapixels with 1.5µ pixels
  • Sapphire crystal lens cover
I'm interested. Going from a feature phone to this phone would be sick. I'd get Gold, not sure about the GB however.

I honestly can't believe they're releasing a 4" phone with some slight upgrades and still charging as much as they do. I still see no reason to upgrade from my iPhone 4 tbh. What I really want is a Note 3, dat 5,7"! Realistically, since I know not everyone likes giant phones, Apple should go to at least 4,5", which is still nice and small. I love iOS reliability and apps but god damn if Apple don't seem like a huge, lumbering colossus unwilling to get with the times. Tiny screens seem so backwards.

Rumors say they are looking for a bigger model for iPhone 6, and realistically they do change designs on which numeral change. Of course it's just a rumor though.

However, going 64-Bit is more than a slight upgrade, especially if you are on iPhone 4.

• A7 chip with 64-bit architecture
  • M7 motion co-processor
  • Fingerprint identity sensor built into the Home button
  • 8 megapixels with 1.5µ pixels
  • Sapphire crystal lens cover
I'm interested. Going from a feature phone to this phone would be sick. I'd get Gold, not sure about the GB however.

Rumors say they are looking for a bigger model for iPhone 6, and realistically they do change designs on which numeral change. Of course it's just a rumor though.

However, going 64-Bit is more than a slight upgrade, especially if you are on iPhone 4.

Megapixels wasnt announced was it ?

IMO iPhone 5S should've been the real iPhone 5 considering the number change from 4S and 5S should've donned a 13MP shooter along with other features.

Top Bottom