• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

That's what it says in their specs sheet. I don't think they said it in the show however since they were more focused on the increase in pixel size.

They did explicitly say they weren't increasing the pixel count, which I am FOREVER GRATEFUL for.
The megapixel wars are the worst of the pointless-tech wars, since all they do is increase the amount of storage my photos gobble up. No, I don't ever plan on blowing any of my iPhone photos up to poster size or larger. 8MP is more than enough, thank you based Apple.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
They did explicitly say they weren't increasing the pixel count, which I am FOREVER GRATEFUL for.
The megapixel wars are the worst of the pointless-tech wars, since all they do is increase the amount of storage my photos gobble up. No, I don't ever plan on blowing any of my iPhone photos up to poster size or larger. 8MP is more than enough, thank you based Apple.

Soybean

Yeah, I'd like to know what exactly these people clamoring for more megapixels are going to do with that. Digital zoom would certainly be better with higher resolution, but I'd personally much rather have improved low-light sensitivity, which the larger sensor gives us.

Quake1028

64GB Silver is "on order" with our AT&T rep here at work. Coming from Android, more specifically GS3. Hope I don't miss the screen real estate. I have an iPad so I figured it was time to finally get on the same ecosystem.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah, I'd like to know what exactly these people clamoring for more megapixels are going to do with that. Digital zoom would certainly be better with higher resolution, but I'd personally much rather have improved low-light sensitivity, which the larger sensor gives us.

meh, I already said the only people clamoring for more megapixels are either croppers (i.e. digital zoom) or people who don't really understand what megapixels mean.

And people who crop (err digital zoom) are a pet peeve of mine anyway. I can't believe there are actually successful marketing campaigns FOR cropping (err digital zoom). Congrats.. you now have a LOWER quality picture just so you can see small things bigger in LOWER quality... yay.

IMO iPhone 5S should've been the real iPhone 5 considering the number change from 4S and 5S should've donned a 13MP shooter along with other features.
yeah, but this is how iphones always are. Big flashy upgrades in the non-S version, bigger under the hood upgrades in the S version. I would actually argue that the 3GS, 4S and 5S were all MUCH bigger upgrades than the respective 3G, 4, and 5.. but all three of the latter phones had much easier bulletpoints to market (3G, retina, 4" screen)

borghe

I wish T-Mobile would announce their pricing for this bad boy.

I can't believe it will be anything different than what exists..

i.e. $199, $299, $399, and then take the difference between those prices and the apple unlocked price and spread it out over 24 months.

Magnus

yep, exactly. Call them, be polite but don't take no for an answer. You may need to threaten your contract to get traction. Express frustration if you talk to someone understanding. Say you mostly like your contract if it weren't for the BS waiting time/fees/rates. The goal is to be sent to the retentions dept if you don't get anything from a low level CSR. They know full well that new iPhone time is an excellent time to grab customers. Try to get a better contract while you are at it.

They should put a note on your account to mark you for an upgrade.

Thanks so much for the advice here. I'll get to Retentions and make a polite push for an upgrade. Perfect. It was done once before for me, unasked for, so hopefully it won't be a big deal.

jts

...hate me...
yeah, but this is how iphones always are. Big flashy upgrades in the non-S version, bigger under the hood upgrades in the S version. I would actually argue that the 3GS, 4S and 5S were all MUCH bigger upgrades than the respective 3G, 4, and 5.. but all three of the latter phones had much easier bulletpoints to market (3G, retina, 4" screen)
Don't forget LTE, GPS, camera flash, front camera (and FaceTime), lightning, 512RAM, then 1GB RAM and other internals (especially the 5). And of course, hot new bods.

#teamOG

Actually the updates kinda even out between S and non-S (but I'd wager they tilt favourably to the non-S tbh). For me is just a matter of getting an iPhone with a body that will stay fresh for a couple of years. Now I have a phone that looks 99% as cool as a 5s, and in 1 year they will both look like old hat comparing to the 6, par for the course with Apple.

CrankyJay

Banned
Don't forget LTE, GPS, camera flash, front camera (and FaceTime), lightning, 512RAM, then 1GB RAM and other internals (especially the 5). And of course, hot new bods.

#teamOG

Actually the updates kinda even out between S and non-S (but I'd wager they tilt favourably to the non-S tbh). For me is just a matter of getting an iPhone with a body that will stay fresh for a couple of years. Now I have a phone that looks 99% as cool as a 5s, and in 1 year they will both look like old hat comparing to the 6, par for the course with Apple.

Wasn't really that way for the 4 to 5 for me.

Blackhead

Redarse

With the new retina displays on laptops (and coming soon to desktops) you'll notice the difference in MPs

Soybean

With the new retina displays on laptops (and coming soon to desktops) you'll notice the difference in MPs

You could full-screen an 8 MP image (3264 x 2448) and a 15" MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display (2880 x 1800) still couldn't display it at full resolution.

samn

For me the 1080p video recording is still too much, it gobbles up hundreds of megabytes a minute which makes a 16GB iPhone or iPad pretty useless as a camcorder. No way to turn it down to 480p either.

And people who crop (err digital zoom) are a pet peeve of mine anyway. I can't believe there are actually successful marketing campaigns FOR cropping (err digital zoom). Congrats.. you now have a LOWER quality picture just so you can see small things bigger in LOWER quality... yay.

Well if you increase the megapixel count and allow for a digital zoom, wouldn't that effectively be the same as keeping it at a lower megapixel count anyway? You're not lowering the picture quality if your baseline is lower to begin with.

LCfiner

not surprising. Most of us got the 5C’s price and Apple's “goal” for it wrong.

But, if Apple’s gamble on colour pays off and it sells really well, the 5C’s likely higher margins might bring stocks back up at the next earnings report. And since investors were upset that Apple's margins had dropped from ~40% to ~35% before, the 5C might end up bringing up stocks since it’s almost surely cheaper to make than the iphone 5.

I’m not someone who thinks the 5C is a really great, desirable thing. I’m more of a glass and metal type guy. Doesn’t seem to be worth the cost considering build materials and the rest of the market. But it wouldn’t be the first time I underestimated the mass audience’s desire for fun colours to move a product.

subrock

One thing I thought that might be a nice benefit of the motion sensor on the 5s: the jerk when the background parallax catches up to your movement could be eliminated.

borghe

Well if you increase the megapixel count and allow for a digital zoom, wouldn't that effectively be the same as keeping it at a lower megapixel count anyway? You're not lowering the picture quality if your baseline is lower to begin with.

the problem essentially comes down to that you are dealing with the same relative size CMOS sensors and just cramming more and more pixels in them. You are basically lowering the quality of each pixel to pack MORE pixels in there. Yes it gives you the ability to crop/zoom and get 6million pixels out of an originally 12Mp image.. but overall you are giving up optical image quality on the camera and relying more on the software's post processing (which admittedly even apple is doing here to an extent)

digital zoom is a bad answer to an inherent problem with fixed lens cameras. unfortunately it is the ONLY answer (well aside from external lenses which have their own problems). my rule of thumb is "accept your device for what it's meant to do." If you want the convenience of a camera in your pocket, use your smartphone. If you are going to need telephoto capabilities, use a camera that has telephoto capabilities (i.e. optical zoom)

drives me as nuts as seeing people with a DSLR with a stock 55-85mm lens, who then digitally crop THAT image as well.. It's like "seriously... you spent $xxx an your camera, but you don't want to spend another $200 on a lens that will give you the distance you need at full IQ as well?"

This is so so so so stupid.. and so so wrong. Stocks are dropping based on speculation and rumors being flat out wrong. This is the SAME sales model as every iphone release since the 3G going $99 when the 3GS launched.. but because rumors were purporting a "low cost iphone launch" and they turned out to be wrong, everyone seems to STILL think the 5C is the "low cost model launch" that is simply priced too high.

even worse is that apple explained all of this as clear as day during yesterday's conference, and people STILL seem to be getting it wrong.

The line at the apple store is going to be interesting, i hope the apple people don't mistaken me for a reseller like every other year .

borghe

And an oddly improved FaceTime HD camera.

same camera as the 5S and I believe ipad 4th gen. no reason to keep the manufacturing process around for a camera that is only going to be used in one device..

CrankyJay

Banned
So people could feasibly get a free or reasonably priced 5 now if they don't like the 5c or even the 5s for the price difference.

borghe

So people could feasibly get a free or reasonably priced 5 now if they don't like the 5c or even the 5s for the price difference.

doubtful.. I really don't see 5 fire sales happening for exactly as you are suggesting.. It's still a very high demand product and will be until they all sell through. Best you might hope for is pricing parity with the 5C until they run through inventory.

CrankyJay

Banned
doubtful.. I really don't see 5 fire sales happening for exactly as you are suggesting.. It's still a very high demand product and will be until they all sell through. Best you might hope for is pricing parity with the 5C until they run through inventory.

Well best buy had sales where it was free or $50 if u traded in your 4 and above.

the problem essentially comes down to that you are dealing with the same relative size CMOS sensors and just cramming more and more pixels in them. You are basically lowering the quality of each pixel to pack MORE pixels in there. Yes it gives you the ability to crop/zoom and get 6million pixels out of an originally 12Mp image.. but overall you are giving up optical image quality on the camera and relying more on the software's post processing (which admittedly even apple is doing here to an extent)

That's true. I didn't factor in the pixel size to the sensor when you move up to a larger megapixel when I was replying. I had in mind how terrible it is when people have an 8 megapixel camera and then zoom. I never ever zoom with a camera phone because like you said, digital zoom sucks.

Realistically, how much of a shit show is it going to be to get a 5s next Friday?

EDIT: I should specify, my fiance and I are looking to get a family plan together, so not only do we need to port her number, but then also move us both to new phones - she also wants the 5s.

Might have been the worst apple conference in many years

Seriously, not one surprise or new detail and only talked about iPhone

Double down on secrecy

Realistically, how much of a shit show is it going to be to get a 5s next Friday?

EDIT: I should specify, my fiance and I are looking to get a family plan together, so not only do we need to port her number, but then also move us both to new phones - she also wants the 5s.

As much as the iPhone 4S, so easy to get. It will still sell millions and break records as apple will make sure there are plenty of units available

Regarding this, I think going to the carrier store would probably be the best way to do this than the Apple Store, which may have more stock but will probably be a madhouse.

Anyone know when Apple.com / Apple.ca will go live on the 20th? Is it a midnight or 8am kind of thing?

Generally goes live at midnight for me, but I live in California (where Apple is based) so it should be live at midnight PDT on the 20th.

You shouldn't be surprised that Christmas gets spoiled when everyone tries to get an early look at the presents.

tyvm!

Let's say nothing was leaked, so they surprise the world by announcing a plastic iPhone 5 and a finger print reader for the iPhone 5S?

Does that sound like something people would be impressed with?

subrock

Let's say nothing was leaked, so they surprise the world by announcing a plastic iPhone 5 and a finger print reader for the iPhone 5S?

Does that sound like something people would be impressed with?

Leak or no I was impressed, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

ChanHuk

Banned

Shouldn't be too difficult as I walked into an AT&T store launch day afternoon and got a 4S.

Typically the number upgrades are harder to a get a hold of than the "S" upgrades. Especially with the 5c on the market, it'll be interesting.

Thanks for the answers guys. Guess the lady and I should plan to head to the AT&T store that afternoon - or maybe on our lunch break (we work near each other, and an AT&T store is nearby).

ChanHuk

Banned
So I secured a price with Gazelle for $320 for my 64GB iPhone 5 in decent shape (scratched up corners) but the display is flawless. You guys think I can get $400 from someone on CL? Its an unlocked AT&T model.

So I secured a price with Gazelle for $320 for my 64GB iPhone 5 in decent shape (scratched up corners) but the display is flawless. You guys think I can get $400 from someone on CL? Its an unlocked AT&T model.

Hell you could probably get $500-$600 on Craigslist

subrock

I just sold my 32gb 5 to a friend for $500. You can do way better. Might be more of a hassle though.

tipoo

Banned
I'm curious if that GPU was a ground up Apple effort. I knew they were gobbling up GPU designers like nobodys business, but I figured they'd be optimizing the SGX cores, not making something new. I'm also curious if it's still at 1GB RAM, and what the bandwidth is.

mrkgoo

digital zoom is a bad answer to an inherent problem with fixed lens cameras. unfortunately it is the ONLY answer (well aside from external lenses which have their own problems). my rule of thumb is "accept your device for what it's meant to do." If you want the convenience of a camera in your pocket, use your smartphone. If you are going to need telephoto capabilities, use a camera that has telephoto capabilities (i.e. optical zoom)

drives me as nuts as seeing people with a DSLR with a stock 55-85mm lens, who then digitally crop THAT image as well.. It's like "seriously... you spent $xxx an your camera, but you don't want to spend another $200 on a lens that will give you the distance you need at full IQ as well?"

This is so so so so stupid.. and so so wrong. Stocks are dropping based on speculation and rumors being flat out wrong. This is the SAME sales model as every iphone release since the 3G going $99 when the 3GS launched.. but because rumors were purporting a "low cost iphone launch" and they turned out to be wrong, everyone seems to STILL think the 5C is the "low cost model launch" that is simply priced too high.

even worse is that apple explained all of this as clear as day during yesterday's conference, and people STILL seem to be getting it wrong.

I crop photos all the time and consider it one of the creative tools in the tool box. Mostly to get certain aspect ratios, but sometimes just to adjust the framing just so.

Top Bottom