• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I crop photos all the time and consider it one of the creative tools in the tool box. Mostly to get certain aspect ratios, but sometimes just to adjust the framing just so.

fair enough, but certainly you admit the massive difference between framing and using it as a zoom.

ChanHuk

Banned
I just sold my 32gb 5 to a friend for $500. You can do way better. Might be more of a hassle though.

Posted my 64GB on CL for $525, its not in mint condition and I'm in a saturated market. I'm shooting for anything over $400 (Basically the cost of a new phone).

mrkgoo

fair enough, but certainly you admit the massive difference between framing and using it as a zoom.
Sure, but probably not as bug a difference as you think. Zooming is typically used to adjust the framing of the subject.

I would actually use digital zoom as a 'crop in-camera', except it's typically implemented so that it gets cropped, but then resized to full-res, which looks terrible.

just want to say that if you're on Sprint or Verizon, you may want to avoid the iPhone 5C. still no SVDO and still no SVLTE (the only LTE phones with no SVLTE on Verizon/Sprint are the iPhone 5, 5S and 5C). and if you're on Sprint, it's not Tri-Band so you won't be future-proof for when Sprint starts deploying LTE on Band 41...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Practically, what will the 64bit upgrade mean for us regular iPhone users? Will we see faster apps or what?
They had the Infinity Blade guys up and they mentioned the processor is amazingly fast at loading and unloading entire worlds in a split second. Older iPhones and devices will not see that amazing speed. They didn't mention how fast it went on a 5.

borghe

Practically, what will the 64bit upgrade mean for us regular iPhone users? Will we see faster apps or what?

this is like asking "what will I get from going with a CISC-based CPU over going with a RISC-based CPU for us regular users"

it can't really be quantified or explained like that.

I mean I guess to sum it up.... there will be apps that come out with features that use 64-bit computing that you won't be able to take advantage of. What exactly that may be is as nebulous as the question really is.

tipoo

Banned
https://twitter.com/nerdtalker/status/377847764300099586

Brian Klug found out some guy uploaded the gfxbench numbers for the 5S

GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) : 56 FPS
GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Onscreen : 53 FPS

Compared to iPhone 5:
GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) : 29.8 FPS
GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Onscreen : 41.1 FPS

The driver number and everything seems to reflect PowerVR SGX, not a custom GPU .

I'll be making the jump from an extremely slow 8GB iPhone 4 to this when my contract is up in December. The prices over here are totally nuts, though. So I'll have to keep in contract when I get it. This phone will probably end up costing me R700/month. Equivalent of $100/month or so. For that I'll get R200 airtime, 100 texts and maybe 500MB of data if I'm lucky. Bullshit I say.

https://twitter.com/nerdtalker/status/377847764300099586

Brian Klug found out some guy uploaded the gfxbench numbers for the 5S

GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) : 56 FPS
GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Onscreen : 53 FPS

Compared to iPhone 5:
GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) : 29.8 FPS
GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Onscreen : 41.1 FPS

I hope apple mention and show something controller related next month, the next ipad is going to be rather powerful for playing apps on.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I hope apple mention and show something controller related next month, the next ipad is going to be rather powerful for playing apps on.
I really hope for an official controller or at least a big push for third party controllers. I want more than just a controller API that gets used by a few niche products.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really hope for an official controller or at least a big push for third party controllers. I want more than just a controller API that gets used by a few niche products.
I don't think it'll be niche. I'm sure all app developers who make games that control better with controllers will love this API. I even hope id updates their classic 3D game ports (DOOM and Wolfenstein) to support it too.

borghe

I don't think it'll be niche. I'm sure all app developers who make games that control better with controllers will love this API. I even hope id updates their classic 3D game ports (DOOM and Wolfenstein) to support it too.

biggest problem with the controller API is that app submission guidelines are that the game MUST HAVE touch controls available. and as such it is to the benefit of developers to make those touch controls as perfect as possible.. I mean who wants to buy an app that NEEDS a controller just to be playable? You? Maybe... but sales will suffer on that app to be sure.

kaskade

So in order to get a 5S and avoid a trip to the Apple Store I have to order it on 9/20 and then wait for it to ship to my home? Lame.
Doesn't Apple do pick up in store? It would be nice if we could do it as soon as it goes on sale and not have to worry about rushing to the store.

So in order to get a 5S and avoid a trip to the Apple Store I have to order it on 9/20 and then wait for it to ship to my home? Lame.

Or you can just walk into either a carrier store or a chain store like Best Buy and pick it up there. You can also check on the stock of what's left at an Apple store around 10pm at night and pick up at your convenience the next day.

I only ordered my 4S because I wanted to avoid the crowds, but I very well could've done in-store pickup if need be.

ChanHuk

Banned
Wow, how are you selling it, eBay?

Going through Craigslist. I got an offer for $450 and $430. If someone offers me $475, I'll take it. I'll wait it out until tomorrow. Would probably get more if it were mint but its not but fuck using cases.

EDIT: Verizon iPhone 5 are shipped unlocked from Verizon due to government regulations.

Ephemeris

Going through Craigslist. I got an offer for $450 and $430. If someone offers me $475, I'll take it. I'll wait it out until tomorrow. Would probably get more if it were mint but its not but fuck using cases.

EDIT: Verizon iPhone 5 are shipped unlocked from Verizon due to government regulations.

I'd bite if it worked on Tmo

Hmm.. I should try selling mine on CL. What do you all have to do when selling your phone out right to someone? Just wipe the data and remove the sim card?

Ah OK, thanks for the info about the unlocked phones.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
biggest problem with the controller API is that app submission guidelines are that the game MUST HAVE touch controls available. and as such it is to the benefit of developers to make those touch controls as perfect as possible.. I mean who wants to buy an app that NEEDS a controller just to be playable? You? Maybe... but sales will suffer on that app to be sure.
I have no problem with them releasing games that do have touch controls but HINT HINT you should probably play with a controller.

Actually they've been doing that for years even without controller support. :p

ChanHuk

Banned
I'd bite if it worked on Tmo

Unfortunately T-Mobile uses a different LTE band from the AT&T branded iPhone 5.

Hmm.. I should try selling mine on CL. What do you all have to do when selling your phone out right to someone? Just wipe the data and remove the sim card?

Ah OK, thanks for the info about the unlocked phones.

Wipe the data and remove sim card. Make sure you meet with them in a public safe place.

Is that true for all iPhones going forward?

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661

Only with VZW LTE phones, so if you buy an LTE VZW phone it'll be unlocked. The AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5S/C have both LTE bands while the T-Mobile and Sprint phones are different phones.

kaskade

I'm wondering what the demand is going to be like for this on day one. I feel like the 5c is being talked about more(and apple is pushing it) and the people who already have iPhones just want iOS 7.

I could be completely wrong though.

ChanHuk

Banned
Apple is pushing the 5c because its new and more profitable. Think about it, its last year's phone with updated cameras. Cheaper and more profitable.

Surprises : 64 bit main processor, special motion processor, camera capable of 120FPS at 720P

64 bit was mentioned on 9to5mac beforehand as a possibility (that it was in testing). I remember the 120FPS was mentioned. Didn't see anything about the motion processor though.

Jimrpg

Hmm

It would make more sense to me if Apple called the iPhone 4s the iPhone 5, the iPhone 5 the iPhone 6, and the iPhone 5s the iPhone 7. then it would match with the iOs number.

then they could start a new model called the iPhone C, iPhone C2 etc

Does that mean next year will be the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6C?

Apple is pushing the 5c because its new and more profitable. Think about it, its last year's phone with updated cameras. Cheaper and more profitable.

Agreed.

But the 5C will be a huge hit with youth. Ok its not the latest and greatest, but not everyone is a neogaf nerd. All the youth want is something thats different to their dad and mom... its unlikely the older generation will get a iPhone 5C. Thats what we keep hearing about on Facebook - that the youth don't go on it anymore because the parents are on it. THis is the same sort of thing.

numble

I'd like to buy iPhone 5 unlocked(if it can be used on prepaid carriers outside USA) for those interested in selling please pm me pics and demand. Thanks

borghe

Fingerprint was a given by the end.

64-bit, motion processor and slo-mo were all shit thrown at the wall hoping to get something. No more believable than the other crap that didn't materialize.

The only "no shit Sherlock" was Touch ID.

With the new retina displays on laptops (and coming soon to desktops) you'll notice the difference in MPs

zoom in 100% on an iphone 5 picture and you'll notice it isn't perfectly sharp whatever display you're using. these lenses are optically incapable of resolving a full 8 megapixels most of the time, just as 16 megapixels is a waste on a $200 compact.

apple is making the right move here, i just wish it went a little further. sony's z1 has a straight-up point-and-shoot sensor inside it with little form factor compromise, but it's like 20 megapixels for no good reason. make a sensor of that size 8 megapixels with an f/2.0 lens and you'd have pretty much the perfect phone camera.

still, no-one seems to get image processing and software as well as apple does. unless rivals have upped their game in that department, i expect the 5s to take better pictures than pretty much any sane phone in most situations.

mrkgoo

Hmm

It would make more sense to me if Apple called the iPhone 4s the iPhone 5, the iPhone 5 the iPhone 6, and the iPhone 5s the iPhone 7. then it would match with the iOs number.

then they could start a new model called the iPhone C, iPhone C2 etc

Does that mean next year will be the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6C?

Agreed.

But the 5C will be a huge hit with youth. Ok its not the latest and greatest, but not everyone is a neogaf nerd. All the youth want is something thats different to their dad and mom... its unlikely the older generation will get a iPhone 5C. Thats what we keep hearing about on Facebook - that the youth don't go on it anymore because the parents are on it. THis is the same sort of thing.

When these come out next week, to the general public, these ARE the latest and greatest. It's a new iPhone.

I think the 5c is fantastic.

numble

Fingerprint was a given by the end.

64-bit, motion processor and slo-mo were all shit thrown at the wall hoping to get something. No more believable than the other crap that didn't materialize.

The only "no shit Sherlock" was Touch ID.
I don't think so. Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac has a pretty good track record. If you follow the right couple of people, they get most things right. Ming-Chi Kuo is another good one to follow, he said Gold iPhone and Sapphire Home button, fingerprint sensor.

Phreaker

Anyone predicting finger-gate yet? You know there's gotta be some -gate, it's a tradition. I've always got a launch unit on the 3G, 4, 5 (not S cycle) and never had a problem with any of them.

Magnus

Anyone predicting finger-gate yet? You know there's gotta be some -gate, it's a tradition. I've always got a launch unit on the 3G, 4, 5 (not S cycle) and never had a problem with any of them.

I'm nervously expecting a grisly finger dismemberment case, where someone actually goes to that length to get access to a stolen phone.

Axion22

I'm nervously expecting a grisly finger dismemberment case, where someone actually goes to that length to get access to a stolen phone.

I bet Apple tested with parts from body farms. I wonder how long a severed finger will stay fresh enough to use.

numble

I bet Apple tested with parts from body farms. I wonder how long a severed finger will stay fresh enough to use.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/10/touch-id-the-iphone-fingerprint-scanning-faq/

Modern sensors search for vitality signs to check that the finger is actually attached to the hand of a living person, Taveau said. A thief could make a go for your finger, but a dismembered digit won’t crack open the phone.

Top Bottom