• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Phreaker

I'm nervously expecting a grisly finger dismemberment case, where someone actually goes to that length to get access to a stolen phone.

Hah, I was thinking more along the lines of "OMG I can't get into my phone with my finger" and "You're fingering it wrong" type of stuff.

mrkgoo

I don't think so. Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac has a pretty good track record. If you follow the right couple of people, they get most things right. Ming-Chi Kuo is another good one to follow, he said Gold iPhone and Sapphire Home button, fingerprint sensor.

Kuo said haswell updates to iMac I June-July! Glad I ignored it and just bought one. In June.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm seriously scared right now. With no preorders and limited stock, I could be facing some seriously angry customers.

You work for a phone provider/Apple store?

Also, why AREN'T they doing preorders for the 5S? I'm not sure what I'm going to do to help my wife get a phone next Friday. I guess I could TRY and order online, but I imagine that will go poorly. I could also try my luck at the AT&T store, but if their stocks will be limited...And then of course there's Best Buy, but that'll be a mess.

Sept 20 is gonna be awesome cause I know a few coworkers looking to get the 5s and will probably fail because of no preorders. Then they'll get suckered into 5c's and I will lulz the whole day.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to get a 5S. Will I be able to order one from Verizon on the 20th and they'll send me one whenever it is they have it available?

Looks good so far.
EDIT: Meant to post on iOS 7 thread. w/e.
3zharGG.jpg

Roo

Since I own a crappy fourth gen iPod touch and a Xperia phone, this would be a sweet update, sadly, it will be way too expensive over here. Apple products are overpriced and I'm not sure if I would be able to afford it with my current contract. =/

I'm not going to preorder because I need to see that silver one in person, but space grey is in the lead right now. Hopefully I will be able to walk in and buy one by October.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright guys, I have a situation. I want a 5S but I need to get a cell plan with it. I'm paranoid that I will line up for a phone and they will turn me down? Am I just being paranoid, is that something that happens? I have plenty of money just not good credit history T__T

I have an outstanding bill with AT&T in another state from about 6 years ago. I'll gladly pay it if it comes up when I'm in the store. Would that even matter though? It's not a cell bill it's a landline.

Please don't bust my balls, I blame my family :p I let them use me T__T

Chucker

I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do on the 20th. It was so nice just coming home and having the 4S waiting for me last time.

Does anyone have an idea of when we can expect new iPad's? I'm not all that excited for the 5S as a current 4S owner, as I feel like the overall imporvements are minor. But all of my tech is Apple.. I'm heavily invested into the ecosystem, so it would be difficult to switch over.So if I buy a new iPhone I'm going to be going from the 30-pin to lightning. However my iPad is third gen and is still on 30-pin.. I'd like to minimize any time with having to deal with both chargers and I'm not buying a fucking adapter for some ridiculous amount. Can we expect a new iPad this winter?

Does anyone have an idea of when we can expect new iPad's? I'm not all that excited for the 5S as a current 4S owner, as I feel like the overall imporvements are minor. But all of my tech is Apple.. I'm heavily invested into the ecosystem, so it would be difficult to switch over.So if I buy a new iPhone I'm going to be going from the 30-pin to lightning. However my iPad is third gen and is still on 30-pin.. I'd like to minimize any time with having to deal with both chargers and I'm not buying a fucking adapter for some ridiculous amount. Can we expect a new iPad this winter?

October most likely

anyone here considering switching to AIOWireless?

they are a new pre-paid GSM provider that is owned by AT&T

For a flat $55 (after tax and fees) you can get unlimited talk, text and data however 4G data is throttled after 2GB, but you can pay for more if you need it

Its pretty similar to Straight Talk only they actually support LTE on AT&Ts network

So I was thinking about selling my 32GB iPhone 5 and buying a 5S directly through them, I could get an unlocked one from Apple, but after doing some research I found that even though they are owned by AT&T they still use their own APN settings and I dont want to deal with the hassle of messing with APN settings to get data/MMS working and not having visual voice mail. I just want everything to work how its supposed to out of the box.

The only problem is I need the 32GB model and it looks like they only sell the 16GB model of the iPhone 5, so I'm afraid they wont sell the 32GB 5S but we'll see.

Anyway I just figured I'd give people a heads up if you are considering switching to a pre-paid provider, they seem like the overall best option out there right now. Same price as Cricket (actually cheaper since tax and fees are included in the $55) only on a better network with LTE support.

I think my days of signing contracts are over, yeah you have to pay a lot more for the phone up front but I know people who are paying almost twice as much as I do on Straight Talk per month and don't even have unlimited talk and data, so that difference is going to be made up within the first year. I know that's not the case for everyone though since some people get discounts and such

anyone here considering switching to AIOWireless?

they are a new pre-paid GSM provider that is owned by AT&T

For a flat $55 (after tax and fees) you can get unlimited talk, text and data however 4G data is throttled after 2GB, but you can pay for more if you need it

Its pretty similar to Straight Talk only they actually support LTE on AT&Ts network

So I was thinking about selling my 32GB iPhone 5 and buying a 5S directly through them, I could get an unlocked one from Apple, but after doing some research I found that even though they are owned by AT&T they still use their own APN settings and I dont want to deal with the hassle of messing with APN settings to get data/MMS working and not having visual voice mail. I just want everything to work how its supposed to out of the box.

The only problem is I need the 32GB model and it looks like they only sell the 16GB model of the iPhone 5, so I'm afraid they wont sell the 32GB 5S but we'll see.

Anyway I just figured I'd give people a heads up if you are considering switching to a pre-paid provider, they seem like the overall best option out there right now. Same price as Cricket (actually cheaper since tax and fees are included in the $55) only on a better network with LTE support.

I think my days of signing contracts are over, yeah you have to pay a lot more for the phone up front but I know people who are paying almost twice as much as I do on Straight Talk per month and don't even have unlimited talk and data, so that difference is going to be made up within the first year. I know that's not the case for everyone though since some people get discounts and such

I might try it later, but so far my plans are to buy a used T-MO iPhone 5, and use their $30 prepaid plan (5Gb of 4g LTE, Unlimited text, and 100 minutes) And see how it goes.

I might try it later, but so far my plans are to buy a used T-MO iPhone 5, and use their $30 prepaid plan (5Gb of 4g LTE, Unlimited text, and 100 minutes) And see how it goes.

that seems pretty good for 30 bucks a month, I wasnt aware that T-Mobile had LTE yet, I thought they still used HSPA+ for their 4G. Does that plan include their wi-fi calling also?

Jimrpg

I'm surprised about the marketing actually. Does anyone else think the iphone 5s is not really that 'forward thinking'?

Processor - upgrade as per normal
finger print scanner to unlock your phone
better camera and flash
iOS7

Also i think iOS7 really fits with iphone 5c and less so with iphone 5s.

But it seems these days with marketing it doesn't matter what you say as long as you are projecting some sort of ideallistic amazing view of your product. Who really is going to argue with you? There's no real right of reply. Despite all the negative criticism of the iphone 4s it managed to sell truckloads, and the iphone 5s and 5c will do the same.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm surprised about the marketing actually. Does anyone else think the iphone 5s is not really that 'forward thinking'?

better camera and flash
iOS7

64-bit CPU in a smartphone is pretty forward-thinking. Quick, simple, and well-integrated biometrics are pretty forward-thinking. Keeping your megapixel count the same and focusing on improving the sensor/optics system/processing is, well, not short-term thinking (which would be LET'S MAKE NUMBERS LOOK BIG ON SPEC SHEET).

numble

better camera and flash
iOS7

Also i think iOS7 really fits with iphone 5c and less so with iphone 5s.

But it seems these days with marketing it doesn't matter what you say as long as you are projecting some sort of ideallistic amazing view of your product. Who really is going to argue with you? There's no real right of reply. Despite all the negative criticism of the iphone 4s it managed to sell truckloads, and the iphone 5s and 5c will do the same.

I can also pay for stuff with my fingerprint. Think forward to other things you can do with it in the future. I am going to delay a computer purchase because of all the things a future fingerprint scanner can do (like using different fingers to launch different apps or jump to spaces).

64-bit CPU in a smartphone is pretty forward-thinking. Quick, simple, and well-integrated biometrics are pretty forward-thinking. Keeping your megapixel count the same and focusing on improving the sensor/optics sensor/processing is, well, not short-term thinking (which would be LET'S MAKE NUMBERS LOOK BIG ON SPEC SHEET).

I agree, I think the "forward thinking" marketing is pretty fitting. I am looking forward to a time when I never have to type passwords on my phone again. Ive always been one of those people that do not use a password lock, even tho I probably should, because i don't want to have to type in a password 50 times a day to use my phone, so this is a pretty big convenience for me and I can see it becoming a new standard for all modern smartphones.

also agree with the 64bit processor being forward thinking, as well as the co-processor to handle all the motion stuff, just more efficient all around, helps performance as well as battery life.

and I definitely agree with the camera. I cant wait until we get away from this using the megapixel number as a measurement of how good a digital camera is supposed to be. Heck I'd be fine with them not even telling the megapixel period anymore as long as actual real improvements to the camera keep being made

I'm seriously scared right now. With no preorders and limited stock, I could be facing some seriously angry customers.

It's an S upgrade, you should be able to get one easily day 1. I strolled into a Verizon store the day the 4S came out and it for my dad. But when the 5 dropped there were huge lines.

Jimrpg

64-bit CPU in a smartphone is pretty forward-thinking. Quick, simple, and well-integrated biometrics are pretty forward-thinking. Keeping your megapixel count the same and focusing on improving the sensor/optics sensor/processing is, well, not short-term thinking (which would be LET'S MAKE NUMBERS LOOK BIG ON SPEC SHEET).

yes i suppose the 64bit CPU is pretty forward thinking and id expect consumers would still be able use the phone a few years in the future.

to be honest i didn't think there were that many improvements with the 5s.

maybe they should hold back some iOS features and not show them in June and show them in September because the software is such a big part of the phone.

also I may be the odd one out but I was more impressed with the iphone 5c... in Australia its just about the same price as the iphone 5 last year off contract and there's been a lot of hate towards the pricing. i probably won't be getting one, but it will be what the cool kids have... style over substance, the ones that don't care about the price or the internals. I think its targeting a crowd and its going to do well.

Kabuto

It's an S upgrade, you should be able to get one easily day 1. I strolled into a Verizon store the day the 4S came out and it for my dad. But when the 5 dropped there were huge lines.

but this time it's GOLD; people will line up for that :p

seriously though, should I expect to line up next Friday? I'm planning on selling my 4S to the Apple Store before I buy the 5S so I'm scared that the selling process is going to make me have to wait even longer.

Alright guys, I have a situation. I want a 5S but I need to get a cell plan with it. I'm paranoid that I will line up for a phone and they will turn me down? Am I just being paranoid, is that something that happens? I have plenty of money just not good credit history T__T

I have an outstanding bill with AT&T in another state from about 6 years ago. I'll gladly pay it if it comes up when I'm in the store. Would that even matter though? It's not a cell bill it's a landline.

Please don't bust my balls, I blame my family :p I let them use me T__T
Regardless of whether you get a phone or not, just pay your bill.

Number45

Wasn't expecting to be able to upgrade yet, but I just checked online and I'm eligible already! Need to see what Three are going to do for ordering...

Top Bottom