• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

I'm surprised about the marketing actually. Does anyone else think the iphone 5s is not really that 'forward thinking'?

Processor - upgrade as per normal
finger print scanner to unlock your phone
better camera and flash
iOS7

Also i think iOS7 really fits with iphone 5c and less so with iphone 5s.

But it seems these days with marketing it doesn't matter what you say as long as you are projecting some sort of ideallistic amazing view of your product. Who really is going to argue with you? There's no real right of reply. Despite all the negative criticism of the iphone 4s it managed to sell truckloads, and the iphone 5s and 5c will do the same.
The small improvements for an off-year upgrade are not bad, though I do think there was more they could have done.

802.11ac, better/more 802.11n antennas, or LTE-A, for example.

LCfiner

While I am not a fan of the 5C, I actually think the 5S is the best “S” upgrade they've done yet.

the changes to speed, chip architecture and camera are the biggest improvements in the line of “S” variants and the M7 and fingerprint scanner could be pretty useful and seem potentially bigger than older exclusive 3GS and 4S features (yeah, including siri)

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I'm tempted to use EE's Swap service instead of going through eBay, avoiding the scammers, paying the eBay fees, then the PayPal fees.

I agree LCfiner, I usually don't bother with the S's, but this is a good upgrade.

Gamerloid

While I am not a fan of the 5C, I actually think the 5S is the best “S” upgrade they've done yet.

the changes to speed, chip architecture and camera are the biggest improvements in the line of “S” variants and the M7 and fingerprint scanner could be pretty useful and seem potentially bigger than older exclusive 3GS and 4S features (yeah, including siri)

I agree. Usually the "S" series is just an ok upgrade. The changes in the insides were really good.

This cpu could have been held back for the iphone 6, I guess if they are going to stick it in ipad's also they might as well make it for phones instead of having another chip to work on instead.

n64coder

I really wish they would add a microSD card slot.

That would be nice. I was looking at some Android phones and it is not common there unless I'm mistaken.

anyone here considering switching to AIOWireless?

they are a new pre-paid GSM provider that is owned by AT&T

For a flat $55 (after tax and fees) you can get unlimited talk, text and data however 4G data is throttled after 2GB, but you can pay for more if you need it

Its pretty similar to Straight Talk only they actually support LTE on AT&Ts network

So I was thinking about selling my 32GB iPhone 5 and buying a 5S directly through them, I could get an unlocked one from Apple, but after doing some research I found that even though they are owned by AT&T they still use their own APN settings and I dont want to deal with the hassle of messing with APN settings to get data/MMS working and not having visual voice mail. I just want everything to work how its supposed to out of the box.

The only problem is I need the 32GB model and it looks like they only sell the 16GB model of the iPhone 5, so I'm afraid they wont sell the 32GB 5S but we'll see.

Anyway I just figured I'd give people a heads up if you are considering switching to a pre-paid provider, they seem like the overall best option out there right now. Same price as Cricket (actually cheaper since tax and fees are included in the $55) only on a better network with LTE support.

I think my days of signing contracts are over, yeah you have to pay a lot more for the phone up front but I know people who are paying almost twice as much as I do on Straight Talk per month and don't even have unlimited talk and data, so that difference is going to be made up within the first year. I know that's not the case for everyone though since some people get discounts and such

How are people paying twice as much as you on Straight Talk? I thought it was $45/month. Not sure if taxes are included in the $45 or not. Thanks for the tip on AIOwireless. I'll check it out.

Although I know I could get more for my phone off CL or other services, I'm tempted to just deal with Apple's trade-in service to offload both my 3GS & 4S towards the 5S.

At the same time, I kind of wanted to keep my 4S around as a spare phone for emergencies and just pay outright for the 5S...

Ah well, I've got time to think about this as I'm gonna hold off a bit on buying this.

LeleSocho

Banned
Wait a moment... the button isn't concave?
What the hell man i don't like this iPhone one bit... the ring is ugly, they removed the rounded edges square and the button is flat :/

I have a T-Mobile store close to where I live (want unlimited data and Sprint sucks coverage-wise in Lake Worth, FL), but it doesn't open till 10am and I have to be at work in Boca before then, so I'll probably have to stay up till after 3AM and order online and wait.

Also wanted to get the dock and case for the 5S, so I'd have to go that route anyways. Takes almost 30 minutes to drive to the nearest Apple store and I dunno if they'd already be sold out by the evening.

Number45

What the hell man i don't like this iPhone one bit... the ring is ugly, they removed the rounded edges square and the button is flat :/
The button is a fingerprint sensor, so I imagine that has influenced/dictated that part of the design. I much prefer it to the current home button visually, no idea how tactile it is (if at all).

pxleyes

Banned

Where did you read that it was flat? The images and videos pretty clearly show a concave structure.

Chucker

I have a T-Mobile store close to where I live (want unlimited data and Sprint sucks coverage-wise in Lake Worth, FL), but it doesn't open till 10am and I have to be at work in Boca before then, so I'll probably have to stay up till after 3AM and order online and wait.

Also wanted to get the dock and case for the 5S, so I'd have to go that route anyways. Takes almost 30 minutes to drive to the nearest Apple store and I dunno if they'd already be sold out by the evening.

I have an Apple store, and a few AT&T stores 5 mintues away from my work, but am in a meeting from 8:30-11 on the 20th. Can you do store pickup if you preorder at 3am? That'd at least save me some stress and just pop in after work to the Apple store.

Number45

touchid_hero.png
Looks flat to me. :/

linkboy

anyone here considering switching to AIOWireless?

they are a new pre-paid GSM provider that is owned by AT&T

For a flat $55 (after tax and fees) you can get unlimited talk, text and data however 4G data is throttled after 2GB, but you can pay for more if you need it

Its pretty similar to Straight Talk only they actually support LTE on AT&Ts network

So I was thinking about selling my 32GB iPhone 5 and buying a 5S directly through them, I could get an unlocked one from Apple, but after doing some research I found that even though they are owned by AT&T they still use their own APN settings and I dont want to deal with the hassle of messing with APN settings to get data/MMS working and not having visual voice mail. I just want everything to work how its supposed to out of the box.

The only problem is I need the 32GB model and it looks like they only sell the 16GB model of the iPhone 5, so I'm afraid they wont sell the 32GB 5S but we'll see.

Anyway I just figured I'd give people a heads up if you are considering switching to a pre-paid provider, they seem like the overall best option out there right now. Same price as Cricket (actually cheaper since tax and fees are included in the $55) only on a better network with LTE support.

I think my days of signing contracts are over, yeah you have to pay a lot more for the phone up front but I know people who are paying almost twice as much as I do on Straight Talk per month and don't even have unlimited talk and data, so that difference is going to be made up within the first year. I know that's not the case for everyone though since some people get discounts and such

I just made the switch as well (picked up the 16GB Nexus 4 for 249). I wish I could have moved my 4S over, but Verizon is a bunch of jack holes and won't unlock a 4S for stateside use.

I'm going to use Straight Talk until I get back from my upcoming deployment and then I might look at AiO.

I'm straight up never going to back to a contract, nor a CDMA phone, it's just to limiting.

I have an Apple store, and a few AT&T stores 5 mintues away from my work, but am in a meeting from 8:30-11 on the 20th. Can you do store pickup if you preorder at 3am? That'd at least save me some stress and just pop in after work to the Apple store.

Not 100%, but I swore I remember reading somewhere that you couldn't do that and would have to have it shipped.

Guessing they wouldn't want that done that way so the stores would have enough stock for the people coming in instead of most of it being held by online buyers.

Vyer

for the new page

It's hard to say. I don't think lines were really a problem with the 5, but I happened to be out of town that day and ended up calling around in the city I was in and found a couple of AT&T stores that were out of stock. Eventually I found one and had to wait in about a 20 minute line to get in, so the stores are definitely going to have some traffic. Don't know how the Apple Stores will be.

Possibly the apple store would do the trade in early, put the credit on a apple gift card or something?

Xcellere

While I love Touch ID and the possibilities it holds, I'm holding out on upgrading my 5 until the iPhone gets NFC. Touch ID + NFC would be an incredible combination and would likely spur stores to carry the necessary NFC receivers. Without Apple's push of NFC, there likely won't be widespread adoption.

SuperPac

While I love Touch ID and the possibilities it holds, I'm holding out on upgrading my 5 until the iPhone gets NFC. Touch ID + NFC would be an incredible combination and would likely spur stores to carry the necessary NFC receivers. Without Apple's push of NFC, there likely won't be widespread adoption.

It's starting more and more to look like they're not gonna adopt NFC at all so you may be waiting awhile.

Relevant link: http://gigaom.com/2013/09/10/with-i...mp-on-nfc-and-embrace-the-internet-of-things/

diffusionx

Gold Member
From one 4S owner to another.. You be crazy.. Tech boost over 4S is drastic. 4S "feels" fine now on iOS6, but 7 performance is noticeable (though not horrible) and within 4-6 months you're going to be sick of getting pared down graphics in the game releases. Not saying you won't survive til iPhone 6... But no way in hell 4S owners like us are going to feel short changed by the 5S.

I have a 4S. I barely play any games on my iPhone anyway, outside of Zookeeper Battles. Plus I got it replaced in January through warranty so it's really only a year-old phone.

I think I can wait. We'll see.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't know why 5 owners are thinking this upgrade was aimed at them. This was for S cycle people and others without an iPhone.
Now I just need to wait 9 months for Virgin to start selling them. And save up $650 in the process. They seem to only offer the latest iPhone at the end of June of the following year. Which is silly. I don't understand why. Maybe some contract with Sprint. Although, I could hold out until the 6 comes out and get the 5S cheaper. But that's sooooo far away.

linkboy

Did you just switch to a prepaid? How is Straight Talk so far? Any issues?

I've only had it for a couple of days, but so, far, I'm not having any issues.

I'm using an AT&T sim and everything fired up and worked fine. Some people have had issues with data and MMS, but I put the APN info in on mine and it worked just fine.

I can't ever see myself going back to a contract phone (or Verizon for that matter). It's just to restrictive for me.

asdad123

I just made the switch as well (picked up the 16GB Nexus 4 for 249). I wish I could have moved my 4S over, but Verizon is a bunch of jack holes and won't unlock a 4S for stateside use.

I'm going to use Straight Talk until I get back from my upcoming deployment and then I might look at AiO.

I'm straight up never going to back to a contract, nor a CDMA phone, it's just to limiting.

If you want to use a verizon 4s on GSM networks, check out the GPP Sim. Works great.

I bought a Sprint 4s for a friend who eventually couldnt buy it, so I got the GPP Sim and my dad has been using on it on ATT ever since without problems (3 months so far).

mrkgoo

I don't know why 5 owners are thinking this upgrade was aimed at them. This was for S cycle people and others without an iPhone.
Yeah, I don't know why people don't look at the upgrades for the cycles rather than each year. Apple clearly delineates them, even by making them the same designs!

Granted, however, there are people who have also held out from the previous year, so they are tossing up whether the additional features from te year before are enough to away them if last years didn't.

But yeah, people with an iPhone 5 shouldn't really be considering a new iPhone.

linkboy

If you want to use a verizon 4s on GSM networks, check out the GPP Sim. Works great.

I bought a Sprint 4s for a friend who eventually couldnt buy it, so I got the GPP Sim and my dad has been using on it on ATT ever since without problems (3 months so far).

It's to late for me, as I've moved onto the Nexus 4 and my wife's contract is up in March, but I think she's going to want a new phone (she always gets my old phones and I think it's starting to annoy her).

Thanks though, the last I had heard was that 6.1.2 couldn't be factory unlocked. Might look into that if we decide to sell the phone.

gimmmick

I'm surprised about the marketing actually. Does anyone else think the iphone 5s is not really that 'forward thinking'?

Processor - upgrade as per normal
finger print scanner to unlock your phone
better camera and flash
iOS7

Also i think iOS7 really fits with iphone 5c and less so with iphone 5s.

But it seems these days with marketing it doesn't matter what you say as long as you are projecting some sort of ideallistic amazing view of your product. Who really is going to argue with you? There's no real right of reply. Despite all the negative criticism of the iphone 4s it managed to sell truckloads, and the iphone 5s and 5c will do the same.

64bit architect on the A7 and fingerprint scanner is what is pushing the 5s as the best S upgrade for apple in years.

Espresso

Banned
Apple never states what RAM amount is in their devices. But I read somewhere in my RSS feeds today that the 5S had been benched and supposedly has 2GB? Don't know how valid that was though.
Let's hope it's 2GB.

Apple tends to cheap out on RAM, so I have a feeling that's why they rarely make mention of it.

Erebus

Wouldn't they have mentioned it if they doubled the RAM to 2GB? I can't remember if they touted the 1GB RAM of the iPhone 5 last year.

Top Bottom