• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

wrowa

Hmm... still not sure if I'll upgrade this year. I'd really like to get my hands on a new phone, but the 5S is not really doing it for me. I hope my 4S's battery survives another year.

DiddyBop

Why does the RAM amount matter? Apple has shown that they more out of RAM than any other smartphone manufacture. My experience on the 5 has been buttery smooth and I'm sure iOS7 will be the same

LCfiner

Why does the RAM amount matter? Apple has shown that they more out of RAM than any other smartphone manufacture. My experience on the 5 has been buttery smooth and I'm sure iOS7 will be the same

for real world usage, it matters in keeping more stuff loaded like multiple safari tabs at once.

I actually haven’t had reloading issues on the iphone 5 with 1GB so I don’t know if 2GB would mean a better experience. But that’s something tangible that we’ve seen improve with RAM upgrades in iOS.

Husker86

The smoothness of individual apps isn't the issue with RAM, it's the need to have apps refresh when they get unloaded from RAM when multitasking, or browser tab refresh. I haven't had an iPhone 5 since February so I can't remember super clearly if this was a huge issue with 1GB.

mrkgoo

The smoothness of individual apps isn't the issue with RAM, it's the need to have apps refresh when they get unloaded from RAM when multitasking, or browser tab refresh. I haven't had an iPhone 5 since February so I can't remember super clearly if this was a huge issue with 1GB.

It wasn't/isn't. 1GB seems PLENTY for how I use it on iOS6. Of course, iOS7 is another matter...

TUSR

Banned
Finally figured out what was bugging me, the new home button looks naked without the white box in the middle of it. Just seems strange to me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This isn't how background tasks work in iOS. When the app goes to suspend, unless it is doing an authorized background process there is a very very very short window where it is resident before its save state is written and it is unloaded. That has nothing to do with available memory and everything to do with apple's "backgrounding" process. Even if you JUST TURNED the phone on, ran the app, closed it and loaded another app that used almost no memory, after a relatively short time when you go to open the first app it will load from save state. On top of that it all depends on how the author loads the app (i.e. if they actually check for resume or if they just load fresh every time).

I honestly feel, as a developer and a geek, that apple's system is incredibly well engineered and actually does multi-tasking how 95% of users expect to do multi-tasking. The problem with it is that people simply assume it works like their PC does.

You really can't and don't "run out of ram" or "use all 1GB" of your iPhone. Each app loading in to its sandbox and being programmed against ARC usually means that you will either have enough RAM, or your app will break. Not much of an in between there.

As for development as it exists, I'm not saying users wouldn't benefit from 2GB (now or eventually) but outside of bleeding edge games/apps I really don't know a whole ton of devs who are slamming head first into 1GB. Most of the cries for 2GB comes from users who don't have any clue of resource management on the phone and just assume that because the app is laggy or their app is resuming save state and has to load that an extra 1GB will fix all of that. And most of the time... It won't.

mrkgoo

Are these reviews the truth? Is the lightning adapter a POS?

I don't know, but I've had access to 3 iPhone 5 activations, and none of them have had a problem with teh cable.

I've noticed that sometimes if I leave the lightning end plugged in and remove the USB end from, say, my computer, it will not recognise the charger I plug into until I unplug it from the lightning end, but that sounds more like a bug than anything - like it hasn't recognised the charger.

dorkimoe

Are these reviews the truth? Is the lightning adapter a POS?

i have seen people go through multiples of them, its no different then the last one. The spot at the end where the connector and the cable connect is a piece of shit and will break over time ;\

hmm no 5s pre order up today? i just wanted to check eligiblity pricing because ATT appears to let me get an iphone upgrade but nothing else

tralfazz

i have seen people go through multiples of them, its no different then the last one. The spot at the end where the connector and the cable connect is a piece of shit and will break over time ;\

hmm no 5s pre order up today? i just wanted to check eligiblity pricing because ATT appears to let me get an iphone upgrade but nothing else

I checked mine off the Apple website. Says that if I wait until Nov 8th., I can get it at the normal price instead of paying the extra $250

Hatty

so will the 5s be up on the apple store at 3am est on the 20th or will it be some other time?
I know the iPad 2 had no preorders how was that?

Estocolmo

I mean I guess to sum it up.... there will be apps that come out with features that use 64-bit computing that you won't be able to take advantage of. What exactly that may be is as nebulous as the question really is.

Im asking the use of 64 bits because Apple presented it as a new feature for the iPhone 5S. So for someone like me that isnt so familiar with computer technics or terms im curious to find out what this feature will mean for iPhone 5S users.

Mogwai

Hmm... still not sure if I'll upgrade this year. I'd really like to get my hands on a new phone, but the 5S is not really doing it for me. I hope my 4S's battery survives another year.

Dude, buy a battery kit if you need to replace the battery. Look up a video on youtube perhaps. It's not rocket science to swap it. Apple just pretends it is.

just checked the 5c pre orders and they're still in stock for a day 1 delivery
KuGsj.gif

Had this been the 5S I think it'll would've possibly been pushed back by a week. Really worried about getting a 5S day one now.

Soybean

In my experience the iPhone 5's RAM is NOT sufficient. Tabs and apps reload all the time. I mean, it's not horrible either, but it's a bit annoying when one tab out of only 3 or 4 reloads when I switch to it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
In my experience the iPhone 5's RAM is NOT sufficient. Tabs and apps reload all the time. I mean, it's not horrible either, but it's a bit annoying when one tab out of only 3 or 4 reloads when I switch to it.

I dunno, I tend to load up a ton of tabs before heading down to the subway and I rarely have things flushed out of memory unless I app hop a lot before returning to Safari. I notice it a ton more on my Mini.

More never hurts, though.

Mindwipe

And yet I've had numerous Apple charging cables, both 30-pin and Lightning, and have never had a single problem with them.

And?

A bunch of people bought Firestone tires without issue but it doesn't mean there wasn't a problem - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy.

Apple's charging cables are pretty infamous for failing at the ends, because the rubber coating used dies quickly and the actual cable inside is prone to bunching at the ends. This is not supposition. It applies to all of Apple's cabling.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
64 GB. I'm not getting many real offers from CL and don't want to deal with eBay.

I sold a 32 gig iphone 5 on ebay a few days ago for $450, and it had a giant ass scratch on the phone. Just something to consider, though the hassle of ebay (including the fees) might not make it worth it.

ChanHuk

Banned
I sold a 32 gig iphone 5 on ebay a few days ago for $450, and it had a giant ass scratch on the phone. Just something to consider, though the hassle of ebay (including the fees) might not make it worth it.

I hear too many horror stories lately of degenerate buyers on eBay. Especially with eBay's polices of always siding with the buyers.

Majine

Banned
I used to be a "black iphone" guy but since they decided to fuck up the black one this time, now I'm thinking of white.

feel

This thing looks so classy and gorgeous, and packs some cool stuff, it's time to upgrade from my iPhone4. The problem will be deciding what color to get, they all look great. :(

Espresso

Banned
I used to be a "black iphone" guy but since they decided to fuck up the black one this time, now I'm thinking of white.

I'm the opposite. My 4 and 4S were white models, but I'm going with space grey this time around. I don't think the elongated iPhone looks as good in white for some reason.

Top Bottom