• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Enco

So it's going to be a midnight order time for each country?

Got an email in the UK saying it's 12.01 BST. Macrumours has an email from America saying it's 12.01 PST. Changing it up from last year.

Sailor

It's grey! The white one seems atleast closer to looking like one

I see. I like the two tone color of the new black iphone. Plus I'll have a case on it so I don't think it'll bother me too much.

BTW, has anyone seen the new leather cases? Wondering if they offer good protection.

Majine

Banned
Good news, a thief trying to chop off your fingers is in for a disappointment.

"With the new sensors you don’t have to move your finger, just press it against the reader. And like the sensor in the iPhone 5S, the sensors that will be in laptops and keyboards and other phones can detect the ridge and valley pattern of your fingerprint not from the layer of dead skin on the outside of your finger (which a fake finger can easily replicate), but from the living layer of skin under the surface of your finger, using an RF signal. That only works on a live finger; not one that’s been severed from your body.

This will protect you from thieves trying to chop off your finger when they mug you for your phone (assuming they’re tech-literate thieves, of course), as well as from people with fake fingers using the fingerprint they lifted from your phone screen."

IceCold

Good news, a thief trying to chop off your fingers is in for a disappointment.

"With the new sensors you don’t have to move your finger, just press it against the reader. And like the sensor in the iPhone 5S, the sensors that will be in laptops and keyboards and other phones can detect the ridge and valley pattern of your fingerprint not from the layer of dead skin on the outside of your finger (which a fake finger can easily replicate), but from the living layer of skin under the surface of your finger, using an RF signal. That only works on a live finger; not one that’s been severed from your body.

This will protect you from thieves trying to chop off your finger when they mug you for your phone (assuming they’re tech-literate thieves, of course), as well as from people with fake fingers using the fingerprint they lifted from your phone screen."

Yeah but what if they don't know that...

Number45

In my experience the iPhone 5's RAM is NOT sufficient. Tabs and apps reload all the time. I mean, it's not horrible either, but it's a bit annoying when one tab out of only 3 or 4 reloads when I switch to it.
As mentioned here, this isn't a problem with the memory on the device - it's down to the way the OS is designed to deal with multitasking.

The lack of a 5S preorder is really annoying. It seems like a ploy to increase demand. Hopefully I can just order one without any sort of hassle.

No way worth it upgrading from an iPhone 5, especially with iOS 7 running so smoothly on a 5
Depends on how much having the improvements for a year are worth to you. My 5 will devalue by about another £100 if I wait for the 6.
Cost to upgrade from a 5-5S-6 - around £518
Cost to upgrade from 5-6 - around £359
£159 extra to have the new phone for a year vs saving that money and sticking with the old one. Upgrade is worth that much to me. Might not be for some.

Vyer

I used to be a "black iphone" guy but since they decided to fuck up the black one this time, now I'm thinking of white.

I'm the opposite. My 4 and 4S were white models, but I'm going with space grey this time around. I don't think the elongated iPhone looks as good in white for some reason.

The 5 was the first time I bought a white phone because I thought it looked nice (and still do). The sliver/aluminum kind of changes tones depending on the angle or lighting and it just looks very sharp. I would expect the 5S to be the same. I use cases so even with a simple black case I like the black-white-black combination.

A09cYen.jpg
ktIk8A3.jpg
BIZsihi.jpg

That said, if I get the 5S I will probably go 'space gray' this time as I do like that graphite type of look (and to help differentiate between phones if my wife takes my 5).

I was hoping that the 5S would be my first smartphone (I'm still running with an LG Shine...) but the 32gb ended up being priced higher than I was hoping.

So what are the current Android competitors to the 5S? Galaxy S4 and HTC One?

in the same boat. considering the move over to Android. I dig the One but that camera seems to suck so leaning more towards the S4. Hmmm... I wish Apple would've upped the game.

Enco

in the same boat. considering the move over to Android. I dig the One but that camera seems to suck so leaning more towards the S4. Hmmm... I wish Apple would've upped the game.
I've been thinking about the same thing for a while but decided against it.

Samsung have loaded some much shit onto Touch Wiz that I'm not willing to deal with it. I don't need a single one of their gimmicky features, I hate the OS design, the phone looks awful and the screen is too big for me. If I was to make the switch, I would personally have to go for the Nexus line. Stock Android or bust.

I would miss iMessage, iTunes Match and a load of exclusive apps that I use daily though and that was enough to make me stick with iOS.

The lack of a 5S preorder is really annoying. It seems like a ploy to increase demand. Hopefully I can just order one without any sort of hassle.

Supposedly it's because productions yields are so low. Likely due to the fingerprint sensor.

Apple doesn't need to keep yields artificially low just to drive up demand. Just like Nintendo didn't keep shorting demand for two years on the Wii.

I've been thinking about the same thing for a while but decided against it.

Samsung have loaded some much shit onto Touch Wiz that I'm not willing to deal with it. I don't need a single one of their gimmicky features, I hate the OS design, the phone looks awful and the screen is too big for me. If I was to make the switch, I would personally have to go for the Nexus line. Stock Android or bust.

I would miss iMessage, iTunes Match and a load of exclusive apps that I use daily though and that was enough to make me stick with iOS.

The change in feature set is really the biggest hurdle. Also, familiarity. I won't be deciding for at least the next 3 months until I get back from abroad, so maybe iOS 7 can sway me as well.

subrock

This isn't how background tasks work in iOS. When the app goes to suspend, unless it is doing an authorized background process there is a very very very short window where it is resident before its save state is written and it is unloaded. That has nothing to do with available memory and everything to do with apple's "backgrounding" process. Even if you JUST TURNED the phone on, ran the app, closed it and loaded another app that used almost no memory, after a relatively short time when you go to open the first app it will load from save state. On top of that it all depends on how the author loads the app (i.e. if they actually check for resume or if they just load fresh every time).

I honestly feel, as a developer and a geek, that apple's system is incredibly well engineered and actually does multi-tasking how 95% of users expect to do multi-tasking. The problem with it is that people simply assume it works like their PC does.

You really can't and don't "run out of ram" or "use all 1GB" of your iPhone. Each app loading in to its sandbox and being programmed against ARC usually means that you will either have enough RAM, or your app will break. Not much of an in between there.

As for development as it exists, I'm not saying users wouldn't benefit from 2GB (now or eventually) but outside of bleeding edge games/apps I really don't know a whole ton of devs who are slamming head first into 1GB. Most of the cries for 2GB comes from users who don't have any clue of resource management on the phone and just assume that because the app is laggy or their app is resuming save state and has to load that an extra 1GB will fix all of that. And most of the time... It won't.

This is an excellent post. From one iOS dev to another.

Dany

Banned
Next year when the iphone 6 comes out, will there be a 6C or will the 5c stick around for 2 years until it can be paired with an upgrade with the 6s?

Enco

Next year when the iphone 6 comes out, will there be a 6C or will the 5c stick around for 2 years until it can be paired with an upgrade with the 6s?
I'm guessing 6 and 6C.

Don't see the 5C sticking around as the main C phone. Maybe in place of the 4S currently.

Blackhead

Redarse
This isn't how background tasks work in iOS. When the app goes to suspend, unless it is doing an authorized background process there is a very very very short window where it is resident before its save state is written and it is unloaded. That has nothing to do with available memory and everything to do with apple's "backgrounding" process. Even if you JUST TURNED the phone on, ran the app, closed it and loaded another app that used almost no memory, after a relatively short time when you go to open the first app it will load from save state. On top of that it all depends on how the author loads the app (i.e. if they actually check for resume or if they just load fresh every time).

I honestly feel, as a developer and a geek, that apple's system is incredibly well engineered and actually does multi-tasking how 95% of users expect to do multi-tasking. The problem with it is that people simply assume it works like their PC does.

You really can't and don't "run out of ram" or "use all 1GB" of your iPhone. Each app loading in to its sandbox and being programmed against ARC usually means that you will either have enough RAM, or your app will break. Not much of an in between there.

As for development as it exists, I'm not saying users wouldn't benefit from 2GB (now or eventually) but outside of bleeding edge games/apps I really don't know a whole ton of devs who are slamming head first into 1GB. Most of the cries for 2GB comes from users who don't have any clue of resource management on the phone and just assume that because the app is laggy or their app is resuming save state and has to load that an extra 1GB will fix all of that. And most of the time... It won't.

This is an excellent post. From one iOS dev to another.

... but most of the users are complaining about Apple's apps, specifically Safari and Mail, which aren't bound by those "backgrounding" rules that you're praising. (Moreover Apple has expanded the multitasking options available to third party apps in iOS7).

I'm still in the car audio ghetto, stuck with using an FM transmitter to listen to podcasts and the like while driving.

Does the 30-pin to Lightning CABLE (not adapter) sold on Apple's online store contain the DAC needed for audio playback? The product page is not very forthcoming with information.

mf.luder

Read a couple of great articles on Daring Fireball in regards to Apple's possible true intentions with a 64-bit chip since it'll be a decent time until we need that type of memory in a mobile phone.

The television unit Apple TV

Batman

Banned
I am going to get the black one, I don't want to be fearing getting killed on the street in NYC when people see you holding something gold, too dangerous.

Read a couple of great articles on Daring Fireball in regards to Apple's possible true intentions with a 64-bit chip since it'll be a decent time until we need that type of memory in a mobile phone.

The television unit Apple TV

We'll see it have more of an effect in the iPad and Apple TV before we will in the iphone I think.

Also white is the best color, no contest.

paparazzo

When buying through the Apple Store, do they provide you with a new SIM card and such? Also, can you keep your same plan? I'm on my parents' account.

The lack of a pre order is outright stupid.

I'm too busy to be a line sucker. I'm willing to upgrade and part of that is due to the easy process or preordering and getting the phone on launch day.

From the weak conf to this, this sure isn't the Apple I gravitated towards.

When buying through the Apple Store, do they provide you with a new SIM card and such? Also, can you keep your same plan? I'm on my parents' account.

I'm currently on my parents' plan, though I pay the bill. Anyways, when I upgraded to the 4S I had to provide the info of the account holder (in this case, my mom) before I placed the order on Apple's website.

The SIM card is already in the phone, so all you do is activate as normal as when I ordered, it looked up what plan I had after I entered my phone #. If you do this in person at the Apple store, they'll simply ask for the account holder info & your phone # as they can see what provider & plan you have.

Pretty much the same as if you went to a carrier store really.

numble

I'm currently on my parents' plan, though I pay the bill. Anyways, when I upgraded to the 4S I had to provide the info of the account holder (in this case, my mom) before I placed the order on Apple's website.

The SIM card is already in the phone, so all you do is activate as normal as when I ordered, it looked up what plan I had after I entered my phone #. If you do this in person at the Apple store, they'll simply ask for the account holder info & your phone # as they can see what provider & plan you have.

You don't need the account holder to be there at the store?

paparazzo

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the info.

You don't need the account holder to be there at the store?

If you're an authorized account user (my mom had to give me permission), you just need the last 4 digits of the account holder's SSN. Otherwise, they might need the actual account holder preset.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome but yeah, make sure that you're either an authorized user of the account and have the account holder's info. Otherwise, just have the account holder with you.

Top Bottom