• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

LeleSocho

Banned
3Tb6Pzo.gif

This is awesome ahahahahah. Embrace your new iOS god
qAm5elO.png

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I'm really digging the gold 5s. Anyone else feel the same way? At first I thought maybe it would look tacky, but the hands on videos look great. Not too flash but different and looks nice against the white glass. I think I'm getting it.

Blasty

I'm really digging the gold 5s. Anyone else feel the same way? At first I thought maybe it would look tacky, but the hands on videos look great. Not too flash but different and looks nice against the white glass. I think I'm getting it.

I agree.

I really want an Android phone with a big screen, but the Gold 5S just looks so good.

kaskade

I'm thinking about the gold too. Most of the people who have actually seen it say it's better looking than they thought it would be.

9717255515_4d858bf318.jpg

I've had the black 5 all year. White 4S last year. Jonesing for the white/gold (maybe silver) now like a motha.

Looking at the yellow lumia 1020 though.

I kind of want gold but that pic on the table makes it look like a NES that's yellowing. :/

Need to see one in person. After watching House of Cards I need to get back to an iPhone!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Any reason why iPhone 5 cases won't work on the 5s?

- Home button. If they fit snugly around the old one it might cover the new Touch ID button.
- Camera cut-out. If it's cut in a triangle shape, it might cover up the dual LEDs.

56IRp4e.jpg

I like how the space grey 5s seems to harken back to the original iPhone design

Thanks, man. Definitely going with space grey.

Gold is not terrible but I don't like how the Touch ID ring is Gold. The ring should've been plain aluminium on all of the phones, really.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if I want a 5S, I have to order online at midnight PST or go to the store and get lucky? Just wanting to make sure before I plan my Friday, ha.

Pretty much sadly.

Expect a lot of scalpers at the stores waiting too.
It's pointless. Only the completely impatient would pay scalper prices.

You'll be able to order online and deliver to store.

In 4 weeks, these will be everywhere.

And I wish the rear were gorilla glass again. The black 5 were scoff magnets.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
56IRp4e.jpg

Thanks for the pic! I've been wanting to see the difference between my slate and the new space gray. It was between white/silver and black/space grey. Looks like I'll be going with the latter.

jts

...hate me...
It's pointless. Only the completely impatient would pay scalper prices.

You'll be able to order online and deliver to store.

In 4 weeks, these will be everywhere.

And I wish the rear were gorilla glass again. The black 5 were scoff magnets.
Huh? I don't believe the back was ever gorilla glass.

8bg0iYel.jpg

This was mine by the time I sold it. Horribly scratched over normal everyday usage. Plus it's more likely to break and makes the phone heavier. Totally not worth it.

*hugs beautiful aluminium unibody iPhone 5*

56IRp4e.jpg

I really wish they would have kept slate as an option, looks a lot better than "space grey" to me

plus like others have said I'm guessing the only reason they did was to not have people complain about scuffing, which has yet to be a problem with my black/slate 5

Chittagong

Gold Member
A major update has gone unnoticed:

Apple now brands the phones with a lower case letter after the number

iPhone 5c
iPhone 5s

see here:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

To date, this represents a second major shift in the branding convention of the lettered iPhone: when iPhone 3GS launched it was called iPhone 3G S in all official materials. As soon as Jobs returned from his leave everything was changed to iPhone 3GS, the convention we have come to learn until the fifth generation.

OT titles need to be updated, new conventions need to be learned, this changes everything

Cyklops

Neo Member
So, when Apple announced the gold 5s, the first thing that went through my head was that's so tacky, and anyone carrying that would look so tacky. But now, that gold looks so GOOD.

Still debating between the space grey and the gold ones.

Ryaaan14

Banned
56IRp4e.jpg

Perfect tint to hide the brutal scrapes on the edge of my phone. And I treat my phone like a goddess.

Diamond cut my ass. Save a few bucks and carve it with wood. Seems to do the trick just fine.

Number45

So, when Apple announced the gold 5s, the first thing that went through my head was that's so tacky, and anyone carrying that would look so tacky. But now, that gold looks so GOOD.

Still debating between the space grey and the gold ones.
I'm slowly warming to it, but I've spent the whole time since the reveal telling a colleague it's the ladies model so now I can't get it. Space grey it is!

I'm thinking about ordering one this Friday. My contract is up in mid October but don't want phones to be scarce.

Don't stress. Obviously, we don't know the yield on the finger print readers; however, the 4S and 5 weren't difficult to get. Then again, they both had preorders, lol.

So I have a SPIGEN case but I'm interested in the official red leather case. I'd just like to know what kind of protection they give as far as dropping it.

Cyklops

Neo Member
That's the problem with the gold though, it doesn't matter that it looks good, the people you'd expect to buy it for tacky reasons will still do so and anyone who sees you with it will think you're one of them.

I'm not saying you should be particularly concerned about what random people on the street think of you, but there's no way to convey that you got that colour because you thought it was well done.

You literally took my thoughts and made them into words.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Seriously, if someone wants to judge me by the color of my phone they can rightfully go fuck themselves.

I think the gold, other than the home ring looks nice.

But then again, they all look fine.. I'll take whatever they have, silver if given a choice.

My 4 is showing it's age more and more these days, and it's finally to the point it can't play a lot of apps well, and you're seeing 4S and up apps.

Gotta get in before the end of the year to redeem this $50 Best Buy GC promo I locked in like 9 months ago.

Top Bottom