• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

SeanR1221

iphone3gvs2g_back.jpg

At least the options are superior to these. Damn the 3G looked cheap.

The 3G and 3GS definitely looked cheap and the white plastic was prone to tiny cracks, but the OG iPhone? That is a really nice design.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The 3G and 3GS definitely looked cheap and the white plastic was prone to tiny cracks, but the OG iPhone? That is a really nice design.

yeah OG iPhone is amazing. I just found mine a few weeks ago when cleaning cupboards and was thinking 'Whoa! This thing looks great'. It's such a solid construction, quality materials through and through, simple aesthetic. It might still be the best iPhone design, not to speak of 2007 when it was something from the future entirely.

yeah OG iPhone is amazing. I just found mine a few weeks ago when cleaning cupboards and was thinking 'Whoa! This thing looks great'. It's such a solid construction, quality materials through and through, simple aesthetic. It might still be the best iPhone design, not to speak of 2007 when it was something from the future entirely.

I remember someone bringing it into the mom&pop store I worked at. We weren't busy and the dude let us play around with it for a couple of minutes. Thing felt amazing. I would really like to feel that way about a piece of technology again. That was the last time tech has ever done that.

SuperPac

I remember someone bringing it into the mom&pop store I worked at. We weren't busy and the dude let us play around with it for a couple of minutes. Thing felt amazing. I would really like to feel that way about a piece of technology again. That was the last time tech has ever done that.

For me that was the original iPad. I was on a flight the day after the launch and a lot of folks saw me using it and asked about it/wanted to try it. Lots of "oohs" and "aahs".

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
For me that was the original iPad. I was on a flight the day after the launch and a lot of folks saw me using it and asked about it/wanted to try it. Lots of "oohs" and "aahs".

Yeah, I think so too.

First picking up an iPad, having the internet in the palm of my hand on a screen that size on a device not much thicker than an iPhone.

Just seemed magical.

SeanR1221

I was at an international conference with an iPad a week after it came out. Researchers from all over the world were blown away by the iAnnotate app.

subrock

Damn this week is going to go slow. I'm on a wi-fi only 4s until my 5s gets to me. No Apple store in town either so it looks like I'll be getting in 23rd or 24th. (No saturday delivery in Canada.)

So guys, I have an iPhone 5 black 32GB factory unlocked.

Is there a reason that I should buy the 5S or would someone convince me to get one?

subrock

So guys, I have an iPhone 5 black 32GB factory unlocked.

Is there a reason that I should buy the 5S or would someone convince me to get one?

I sold mine because I want to start on the trend of flipping mine each year. There is no item in my life that I use more than my phone, so it's worth the premium to do annual upgrades. I don't save that much waiting 2 years (with shitty Canadian carriers).

Are the extra features worth it to you?

As much I like the new tech and all, I don't see anything that caught me off the guard that makes me want to upgrade, which is why I am debating. I seem to be more leaning towards the HTC One and the new Sony Xperia Z1.

I sold mine because I want to start on the trend of flipping mine each year. There is no item in my life that I use more than my phone, so it's worth the premium to do annual upgrades. I don't save that much waiting 2 years (with shitty Canadian carriers).

I am on Virgin with a good 6GB data plan, month to month. I usually prefer phones on no contracts and which is why I purchase factory unlocked in most of the cases.

What network are you on?

subrock

I am on Virgin with a good 6GB data plan, month to month. I usually prefer phones on no contracts and which is why I purchase factory unlocked in most of the cases.

What network are you on?

I'm on Rogers. The HUP shit is getting crazy, 30 months for a subsidized upgrade. It's just going to get worse when the 2 year contracts go into effect too. I want to forge my own path from here on in. I wish we had something like what Sprint announced today with the cost of the device being spread out over the term of the contract.

edit: on further inspection that looks like a shit ass deal. I wish there was something that allowed people that wanted to upgrade each year in a semi subsidized fashion. I guess that'd what I'm doing now with the device purchased outright.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

What network are you on?
You're on Virgin too? Can I ask you some questions about your service?

On mine, I only get 1x speed like 95% of the time. Occasionally it switches to 3G which either doesn't work at all, or is only slightly faster than 1x. Do you even get 3G speeds?

If so, where are you located? I'm only like 30 miles north of Philly and my service is just usable. I end up using WiFi whenever I can because it's too slow to do anything intense. Which means in the 1 year I'd had my iPhone, I'd only used 2GB total of the 2.5GB I would have gotten for a 30 day period. I'd kill for speed that would actually give me the option of actually using some of my data.

I still love the price and the data is fine enough for basic use, so I stick with Virgin, and will most likely get the 5S when they start selling it. (Most likely on June 29th like the last two models) But I was just curious if my experience was typical. (Since I don't live immediately in a big city.)

I'm on Rogers. The HUP shit is getting crazy, 30 months for a subsidized upgrade. It's just going to get worse when the 2 year contracts go into effect too. I want to forge my own path from here on in. I wish we had something like what Sprint announced today with the cost of the device being spread out over the term of the contract.

edit: on further inspection that looks like a shit ass deal. I wish there was something that allowed people that wanted to upgrade each year in a semi subsidized fashion. I guess that'd what I'm doing now with the device purchased outright.

I thought the two year contracts are supposed to be good. Wouldn't they be eligible for hardware upgrades faster now?

You're on Virgin too? Can I ask you some questions about your service?

On mine, I only get 1x speed like 95% of the time. Occasionally it switches to 3G which either doesn't work at all, or is only slightly faster than 1x. Do you even get 3G speeds?

If so, where are you located? I'm only like 30 miles north of Philly and my service is just usable. I end up using WiFi whenever I can because it's too slow to do anything intense. Which means in the 1 year I'd had my iPhone, I'd only used 2GB total of the 2.5GB I would have gotten for a 30 day period. I'd kill for speed that would actually give me the option of actually using some of my data.

I still love the price and the data is fine enough for basic use, so I stick with Virgin, and will most likely get the 5S when they start selling it. (Most likely on June 29th like the last two models) But I was just curious if my experience was typical. (Since I don't live immediately in a big city.)

I am on Virgin Canada, I don't think it runs on the same network as the US. Virgin in Canada runs of Bell Network which is supposed to be good but I still have issues with the data and cell phone reception at times.

Erebus

As much I like the new tech and all, I don't see anything that caught me off the guard that makes me want to upgrade, which is why I am debating. I seem to be more leaning towards the HTC One and the new Sony Xperia Z1.

I'd say wait until next year to see what the iPhone 6 would have to offer. iPhone 5 is a pretty good device to last you another year or so.

subrock

I thought the two year contracts are supposed to be good. Wouldn't they be eligible for hardware upgrades faster now?

Because the subsidized device cost will go up $100-$150, and the monthly cost of the device will also go up. Early upgrading will probably go away too. They will still try to play the 3 year game instead of operating like the US carriers where there is competition.

LCfiner

Because the subsidized device cost will go up $100-$150, and the monthly cost of the device will also go up. Early upgrading will probably go away too. They will still try to play the 3 year game instead of operating like the US carriers where there is competition.

Maybe it’s too early to say, but it looks like Fido is offering the 5S for $230 on a 2 year plan.

And I don’t know if the extra 30 bucks over the $200 iphone 5 price is based on Apple’s readjustment of Canada dollar conversion or the shorter 2 year plan. maybe a little of both?

But, at least with them, it’s not an extra 100 to 150 to get a new iphone on a 2 year deal compared to old 3 year deals.

subrock

Maybe it’s too early to say, but it looks like Fido is offering the 5S for $230 on a 2 year plan.

And I don’t know if the extra 30 bucks over the $200 iphone 5 price is based on Apple’s readjustment of Canada dollar conversion or the shorter 2 year plan. maybe a little of both?

But, at least with them, it’s not an extra 100 to 150 to get a new iphone on a 2 year deal compared to old 3 year deals.

That's encouraging. I was worried based on stories like this (but it looks like things have changed since July):
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/23/comparing-the-incumbents-new-two-year-plans/

iphone3gvs2g_back.jpg

At least the options are superior to these. Damn the 3G looked cheap.
Looked cheap? The fuck?

Go back and compare how those 2 phones looked to competing smartphones on the market in July 2007 and July 2008 and report back on what looked cheap an what didn't. The iPhone 2G and 3G won't be on your list. That's for damn sure. It's easy to look at 2007 and 2008 designs with 2013 taste buds and I agree they look cheap by today's standards, but they aren't being sold now...and were far from cheap lookin then.

what happens to my grandfathered unlimited data on AT&T when i upgrade?
Nothing. You keep it as is unless you change your plan.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Gotta wait until dec 1st for me. That's when I can upgrade. I plan to get the gold 5s with the red apple leather case. Day one I need the case plus a good quality anti glare screen protector. At first people will always think I have just the white phone while it's in its case. But when I take that shit out its the gold one! I feel as if I'm getting the special gold Zelda version of the phone lol. The ocarina of time one too.

Nori Chan

I was thinking about buying this for my sister, the 5C, but for tmobile though so I have no idea how the contracts work. Anyone have any idea for tmobile side?

OmegaFax

I was thinking about buying this for my sister, the 5C, but for tmobile though so I have no idea how the contracts work. Anyone have any idea for tmobile side?

You can either buy it upright or pay for it in installed payments added to your bill. No contracts but the latter option requires a credit check because it is financing.

mrkgoo

So there is no option at all for contracts?
My understanding was that for all intents and purposes, adding a monthly payment to your bill is the contract - except you can quit any time ( and pay the remaining payments or something). Isn't that all a contract is anyway?

Are you typing from 6 months in the past? 2 year contracts are already here, the costs of the phones hardly went up at all and you can upgrade your phone within 30 days of signing up (as ling as you pay off your device balance) like you have been able to on 3 year contracts for over a year.

Canadian plans are cheaper than the US big carriers (slightly).

You need to do some research, like...even for just ,5 minutes.

What are thoughts about comparing the 5 and 5s camera? I usually hate to use the flash since it's usually useless. Would having dual flash make me want to use it more in low light?

jts

...hate me...
That red leather case looks good. What's this red brand anyways?
It's a charity. If you buy a (RED) product, a % goes to it.

Usually, RED Apple products look ace, so it's win-win. My black iPad mini sports a delicious RED smart case. May have to buy a red 5s case for my black 5 too (is that too ghetto?).

LCfiner

What are thoughts about comparing the 5 and 5s camera? I usually hate to use the flash since it's usually useless. Would having dual flash make me want to use it more in low light?

too early to say, really. Apple was hyping the colour temperature improvements with the new, two LED flash but not really range or anything like that. taking a low light pic from far away with these small flashes isn’t going to magically light everything up well (if that’s what you mean by useless)

Top Bottom