• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

jts

...hate me...
I can't tell which iPhone color is which. Is slate gray black?
Space gray is what people are calling black sometimes. It has a black front and black rear windows, although the metal parts are not black but a dark-ish gray.

Supposedly is replacing the slate iPhone 5, which was about the same regarding the black parts, but the metal was darker, and thus practically full black. A delicious batman phone.

toohectic

You keep it if you go to LTE.

If you upgrade to a 5C/5S and keep your old AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan, what limitations do you have?  I know the data is limited to 5GB before being throttled, and I'm assuming that facetime and tethering are restricted as well.  Is that all?

I'm on a 4S right now and plan to get the 5S next week.  I was debating on changing to a non-unlimited individual plan, but I can't tell if those plans have facetime over cellular, or tethering included for the base price.  And it looks as though my $30 would only get me 3GB instead of 5GB on the limited individual plans.  Is there any benefit to me giving up my unlimited for an individual limited plan?  I have 2 iPhones on my current plan, so going to the family mobile share plans doesn't make any sense either; the cost would be more expensive for less total data, but with facetime/tethering support.  I don't even use facetime or tethering, but they would be nice to have. I'd prefer the lower monthly price of the unlimited plan though.

TLDR:  I have an AT&T unlimited plan now.  Any reason I should give it up if I am not concerned about facetime or tethering for a 5S?  Will any other plan get me 3-5GB of data per device and access to facetime/tethering for the same $30 per device? (2 iPhones on account)

If you upgrade to a 5C/5S and keep your old AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan, what limitations do you have?  I know the data is limited to 5GB before being throttled, and I'm assuming that facetime and tethering are restricted as well.  Is that all?

I'm on a 4S right now and plan to get the 5S next week.  I was debating on changing to a non-unlimited individual plan, but I can't tell if those plans have facetime over cellular, or tethering included for the base price.  And it looks as though my $30 would only get me 3GB instead of 5GB on the limited individual plans.  Is there any benefit to me giving up my unlimited for an individual limited plan?  I have 2 iPhones on my current plan, so going to the family mobile share plans doesn't make any sense either; the cost would be more expensive for less total data, but with facetime/tethering support.  I don't even use facetime or tethering, but they would be nice to have. I'd prefer the lower monthly price of the unlimited plan though.

TLDR:  I have an AT&T unlimited plan now.  Any reason I should give it up if I am not concerned about facetime or tethering for a 5S?  Will any other plan get me 3-5GB of data per device and access to facetime/tethering for the same $30 per device? (2 iPhones on account)

Sprint will do those things, but has less coverage than AT&T.

I didn't realize I'd have to buy off contract to keep my unlimited data plan on Verizon. That kinda sucks. Can I still buy the phone at full price from Verizon?

Koodo

Banned
What's the deal when calling retention to get a better plan? (in Canada.)

Our three year contract with Fido expired last month, we've been with the carrier for nearly seven years, multiple numbers attached to the account, high monthly bill in total, not a single missed payment, et cetera. Seems like we have bargaining power to snatch a better deal than the current plan of:

- 100/Unl.E/WE + Unl. txt msg / $20
- 6GB Data Plan - 3 Year / $30
- Call Display w/Name Display / $7
- Visual Voicemail / $8

I'm OK with the data plan, but GROSS at the voice plan.

Hey guys, I have a question:

Are any of you selling your iPhone's(particularly the 4S) in anticipation of the 5S? What is the market value right now and where is the best place to sell? Also, how do you go about completely wiping the phone so it's factory fresh and is no longer listed under your carrier(Sprint in my case)?

Any and all help would be much appreciated. I'm getting the 5S regardless but I would love to lessen the financial blow by selling my 4S.

PFD

Hey guys, I have a question:

Are any of you selling your iPhone's(particularly the 4S) in anticipation of the 5S? What is the market value right now and where is the best place to sell? Also, how do you go about completely wiping the phone so it's factory fresh and is no longer listed under your carrier(Sprint in my case)?

Any and all help would be much appreciated. I'm getting the 5S regardless but I would love to lessen the financial blow by selling my 4S.

A 16GB 4S can be sold for around $300-$350 if it's in great condition. I sold an old busted 4S with tons of scratches, half-working headphone jack, quiet speakers, half-broken home button, and low quality LCD with shitty colors that was assembled at a store, for $240.

kf you wana completely wipe everything, do a restore through iTunes. Not the restore from back up, the other restore (next to the update button.)

A 16GB 4S can be sold for around $300-$350 if it's in great condition. I sold an old busted 4S with tons of scratches, half-working headphone jack, quiet speakers, half-broken home button, and low quality LCD with shitty colors that was assembled at a store, for $240.

kf you wana completely wipe everything, do a restore through iTunes. Not the restore from back up, the other restore (next to the update button.)
Holy crap. Where did you sell it? Ebay? Craigslist?

Thanks for the advice!

I'd say wait until next year to see what the iPhone 6 would have to offer. iPhone 5 is a pretty good device to last you another year or so.

Exactly what I am thinking. I might end up getting an Android device later this year, but will wait for the iPhone 6, holding it off with my iPhone 5.

Because the subsidized device cost will go up $100-$150, and the monthly cost of the device will also go up. Early upgrading will probably go away too. They will still try to play the 3 year game instead of operating like the US carriers where there is competition.

Maybe it’s too early to say, but it looks like Fido is offering the 5S for $230 on a 2 year plan.

And I don’t know if the extra 30 bucks over the $200 iphone 5 price is based on Apple’s readjustment of Canada dollar conversion or the shorter 2 year plan. maybe a little of both?

But, at least with them, it’s not an extra 100 to 150 to get a new iphone on a 2 year deal compared to old 3 year deals.

Yeah looks like the retailers in Canada are doing a two year contract starting from $230, I think that certainly is a better deal compared to a 3 year $199.

What's the deal when calling retention to get a better plan? (in Canada.)

Our three year contract with Fido expired last month, we've been with the carrier for nearly seven years, multiple numbers attached to the account, high monthly bill in total, not a single missed payment, et cetera. Seems like we have bargaining power to snatch a better deal than the current plan of:

- 100/Unl.E/WE + Unl. txt msg / $20
- 6GB Data Plan - 3 Year / $30
- Call Display w/Name Display / $7
- Visual Voicemail / $8

I'm OK with the data plan, but GROSS at the voice plan.

I had a gentle laugh at your username while you are with Fido.

Now, I'm always under the impression that when you call retentions, they usually ask for what your needs are and based on that, they will let you know what's the best deal and plan you can get.

The last time I made a call to the retentions was back in 2010, so I am not sure how things are working now. But do call in, tell them that you've been with Fido for so long, being a good customer blah... blah... Then tell then what all you need, perhaps you can ask for nationwide minutes or unlimited calling from where you are and such, keep the 6GB data, and see what they offer you.

You don't have to take the choices they give you, turn it down if you don't like them.

Apath

Do you think I could get $200 for a scratched up 32GB iPhone 4? Would love a free upgrade.

Going to go with the Gold + Beige case option, but still going back and forth between 32Gb and 64GB. Kinda leaning towards the latter since my iPad 4 is almost maxed out without any music/videos.

Just a heads up that Sprint is holding a good deal on phones right now where you can get $100 off any new phone when you switch to them (making the 5S $99) and if you use the Private Sprint store, you can get another $50 bill credit. This effectively makes the 5S $50 after it's all said and done. Pretty neat to me.

kaskade

I'm still not 100% sure which color I want. They should have a random button. I pick the capacity I want and they just send it.

JCreasy

How long do you guys think the ship time will be if we get our pre-order in the first hour or so after 12 AM?

I'm getting a 5s Gold, 64 gb.

Edit: Meant to say 64 gb

IceCold

Maybe it’s too early to say, but it looks like Fido is offering the 5S for $230 on a 2 year plan.

And I don’t know if the extra 30 bucks over the $200 iphone 5 price is based on Apple’s readjustment of Canada dollar conversion or the shorter 2 year plan. maybe a little of both?

But, at least with them, it’s not an extra 100 to 150 to get a new iphone on a 2 year deal compared to old 3 year deals.

Yeah but have you seen their iPhone plans? 75$ for 500mb or 85$ for 1gb. Everything else is unlimited though. I'm pretty sure their max plans were cheaper before the crtc ruling.

subrock

How long do you guys think the ship time will be if we get our pre-order in the first hour or so after 12 AM?

I'm getting a 5s Gold, 65 gb.

Not sure but I'm thinking I would spend an extra $30 or so if it meant I could get mine before the weekend.

I'm getting a 5s Gold, 65 gb.

Probably can get next week if you order in the first 5-15 mins or so. After that it's a guessing game depending on how limited their stock is.

JCreasy

I wonder if there's going to be a line at the Walnut Creek Apple store at 8 AM.

If I could get it on the 20th, I would. I don't want to wait in line.

J-Rod

Does anyone just go to the specific carrier's store and try to get one there? I never see anyone talk about it. It sounds like most people order through apple, go to the apple store, or maybe go to best buy. Are the chances slimmer going through AT&T/sprint/Verizon or something?

Does anyone just go to the specific carrier's store and try to get one there? I never see anyone talk about it. It sounds like most people order through apple, go to the apple store, or maybe go to best buy. Are the chances slimmer going through AT&T/sprint/Verizon or something?

People usually go wherever is most convenient for them. Also, Apple stores tend to have more stock of whatever model you're looking for.

For me, I would normally order through Apple.com because I work in San Francisco (the lines are usually bananas) though there are numerous AT&T stores (where lines are also plentiful). I could wait till I get home (I live in the East Bay Area) and go to the various stores there, but I prefer the convenience of just ordering and waiting.

JCreasy

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/17/iphone-5s-inventory-said-to-be-severely-constrained-at-launch/

iPhone 5s Inventory Said to Be 'Severely Constrained' at Launch

iPhone 5s inventories are said to be very limited at launch, according to reports from several different publications sourcing employees at Apple Retail Stores and cellular carriers.

One source told AllThingsD that an unnamed carrier will have "grotesquely unavailable inventory" and another said they were disappointed with the shipments of the phone from Apple. BGR likewise said 5s supply would be "severely constrained".

Another pajama party Gaf? Who's gonna wait up with me the Thursday night?

Link

The Autumn Wind
So if I have a 4S through AT&T and my contract is up, can I sell it to anyone or does it need to stay on AT&T? And what can I reasonably expect to get for it?

Marco1

I take it that the fingerprint sensor is having yield issues?
Is it easy to purchase a 5S online at midnight or does the apple site have issues? I am thinking back to my nexus4 launch.

mcfrank

I take it that the fingerprint sensor is having yield issues?
Is it easy to purchase a 5S online at midnight or does the apple site have issues? I am thinking back to my nexus4 launch.

A7, M7, Fingerprint sensor - a lot of new tech in the phone that could be supply constrained. Especially if TSMC is making the A7 and or M7 instead of Samsung and is having trouble ramping to Apple's levels.

Cromat

The odds of casually strolling into the Apple Store in London and getting one of these in the week or two after lunch are non-existent right?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm still not 100% sure which color I want. They should have a random button. I pick the capacity I want and they just send it.
Just close your eyes and point at the screen.

I initially wanted gold, but I also want a case which will end up covering up the part of the phone that is gold. (Except the ring) So I would probably get silver or gold just for the white front and a red case.

LCfiner

Yeah but have you seen their iPhone plans? 75$ for 500mb or 85$ for 1gb. Everything else is unlimited though. I'm pretty sure their max plans were cheaper before the crtc ruling.

maybe… but I know before I got my retentions deal, I was paying around 80 bucks for an iphone plan (that’s been down to $55 for several years now). Canadians have had awful deal plan prices and super limited MB plans for years now (of course, it’s a millions time better than before the iphone came up here. I know form experience). I really don’t think the 2 year plan is affecting pricing much at all

Do they sell unlocked phones at midnight online or contract only?

I believe it was contract only when the 4S/5 came out then the unlocked phones were available at a later date.

This time though, I think you may be able to get either contract or unlocked phones.

TwIsTeD

anybody live in Philly have experience with launch day at the Apple Stores?

I`m going to be in town for work and since i`m traveling for a few weeks I wanted to possibly wait a few hours in line for a phone (its ok you can judge me haha)

The last time (iPhone 4 launch) I met some cool dudes that I keep in touch with today

Sean

Banned
is there any good speculation about what the fingerprint sensor might be used for in the future?

Multiple user accounts and/or better parental controls in iOS8 seems like the next logical step for it. If it reads your childs fingerprint, automatically go into a restricted kids mode for example.

I'd love to see fingerprint support in some of the third party banking apps and whatnot but Apple has to be very careful in how they approach this. Already the majority of talk about the fingerprint sensor has been 'NSA fingerprint database' jokes.

Fury Sense

How does this work? I want to go from my prepaid plan to join my parents' verizon family plan with the 5S. Do I have to switch my phone number before i get the iphone or do I switch from virgin mobile usa to verizon at the apple store or...?

How does this work? I want to go from my prepaid plan to join my parents' verizon family plan with the 5S. Do I have to switch my phone number before i get the iphone or do I switch from virgin mobile usa to verizon at the apple store or...?

you would do it at the point of purchase (the Apple Store) and you'll need your parents account information and verification information. then the request goes thru from Apple to Verizon and Verizon will send the request to Virgin Mobile to have the number transferred.

Top Bottom