• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Fury Sense

Thanks. I didn't want to believe that was the case because I imagine the store would be packed full of people taking a lot of time to do similar things

Husker86

Thanks. I didn't want to believe that was the case because I imagine the store would be packed full of people taking a lot of time to do similar things

Or you could order it online and add your line as you're doing that. I assume Verizon is allowing orders the same time everyone else is.

Quick

Banned
Apple's shipping is pretty fast anyway. Y'all really can't wait a few days for it to arrive?

DAY ZERO OR BUST.

Personally, I'm testing my luck on Friday at my carrier's store. I know someone who I'm hopeful could at least guarantee they'll have a lot. It'll be a miracle if I can get one on hold.

mf.luder

Also,

during the conference last week I was going to make a post/comment about using Touch ID on an iPad for multiple users. That eventually things could be linked to your fingerprint on a household device.

I really regret not posting that now, could've gotten some sweet nerd cred.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I have to camp out for the iphone 5s? fuck this world
This is a FWP of the highest order, haha.

I called Verizon and if the person on the phone is correct, they said that each of the two corporate Verizon stores in town will be getting 300 on Friday. Town of ~200k metro. No Apple Store, but a big Best Buy. I'm going to be getting up early and heading over there around 7 I suppose. Thankfully it's next to a really good coffee place. Gonna go for a Silver or Space Grey 32 GB.

This is a FWP of the highest order, haha.

I called Verizon and if the person on the phone is correct, they said that each of the two corporate Verizon stores in town will be getting 300 on Friday. Town of ~200k metro. No Apple Store, but a big Best Buy. I'm going to be getting up early and heading over there around 7 I suppose. Thankfully it's next to a really good coffee place. Gonna go for a Silver or Space Grey 32 GB.

Why not attempt pre-order first at midnight?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Went to AU yesterday thinking I could reserve but nope. Going to pick the most deserted location I can think of to pick up a 5S on friday, screw that akihabara line nonsense.

Think I'll be getting a 16GB 5S. It's free after all ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ

Futureman

I'm curious, has Apple ever publicly responded to the conflict mineral situation in Africa?

also is it fair for the cell phone industry to always be called out on this? Aren't these minerals in many, many products we use?

Espresso

Banned
PwOmhj7.jpg

Burberry fashion show (golden iPhones, of course).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I think I'm going to go into the Verizon store (if even possible) and trade in my 64GB iPhone 4S for cash towards an iPhone 5s.

I have a couple of questions though:

I currently still have my unlimited plan. If I get a new phone and want the LTE coverage, I will have to give up my unlimited plan correct? Damn that sucks. I kind of feel like I'd use higher speed more than 2GB of data in my day to day use, but at the same time I feel it is hugely dickish of Verizon to set a limit when bandwidth needs will just keep going up.

I don't know whether I should get a 32GB or 64GB version? Oddly enough I got the 64GB version of the iPhone and the 32GB version of the iPad, when I really needed more space on the iPad than the iPhone. I don't know how much data I'll need, I'm using a lot now but that might just be because I'm lazy because I have all the space.

My iPhone 4S is white. I really liked it and like the white color on other devices like my PSP, but I was thinking about getting a black iPhone 5S this time around to change things up. Then they showed the space gray and I'm like ewww no. Then I saw real world shots of it and it looked better. I'm thinking about getting either the space gray or white silver iPhone, but I can't decide.

If it makes a difference I'll probably be using a grovemade case that would hide the gray regardless.

CronoShot

How much should I sell my 16GB iPhone 5 for? It's in great condition, albeit some very minor dings around the edge from normal use. Screen and back are pristine though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So I think I'm going to go into the Verizon store (if even possible) and trade in my 64GB iPhone 4S for cash towards an iPhone 5s.

I have a couple of questions though:

I currently still have my unlimited plan. If I get a new phone and want the LTE coverage, I will have to give up my unlimited plan correct? Damn that sucks. I kind of feel like I'd use higher speed more than 2GB of data in my day to day use, but at the same time I feel it is hugely dickish of Verizon to set a limit when bandwidth needs will just keep going up.

I don't know whether I should get a 32GB or 64GB version? Oddly enough I got the 64GB version of the iPhone and the 32GB version of the iPad, when I really needed more space on the iPad than the iPhone. I don't know how much data I'll need, I'm using a lot now but that might just be because I'm lazy because I have all the space.

My iPhone 4S is white. I really liked it and like the white color on other devices like my PSP, but I was thinking about getting a black iPhone 5S this time around to change things up. Then they showed the space gray and I'm like ewww no. Then I saw real world shots of it and it looked better. I'm thinking about getting either the space gray or white silver iPhone, but I can't decide.

If it makes a difference I'll probably be using a grovemade case that would hide the gray regardless.
If you go to the Edge plan, where you pay the phone's retail cost off in 24 monthly chunks, you get 6 GB of data for the $30 unlimited fee, and you're not locked into a contract. This is what Verizon dude told me at the store tonight. So, that's probably what I'll do.

ecurbj

That was a very good, thorough review. I liked it a lot. I had a feeling those new Apple leather cases would begin to show wear on the edges after a few in's and out's of the pockets the first few times.

But I'll hold off till the 2014 iPhone release. No LTE-A also doesn't help. Plus they still haven't added the SVDO chip for CDMA customers yet (which I don't think they will do anyway). But this is a nice, little upgrade from the iPhone 5. It's definitely an improvement from any iPhone 4S and down though!

LCfiner

excellent review from Anandtech, as usual.

nothing surprising but it’s good to see something so thorough come out so quickly.

Talon

Those benchmarks from Anand are insane.

No Verge review? Sort of hilarious if even Pocket Lint got a review device.

kaskade

Man, that Anandtech review was indepth. I'm not way into stats like that though. Just tell me the camera, battery, and performance are good and I'm happy.

I keep hearing that the gold is nice in person. I think I'm just going to go with that. I also like the idea of the leather case reading that review. I didn't think about it getting distressed. That could look pretty cool over time.

Wow, the Anand review was great. If it has his stamp of approval, I'm all in. Guess I'll be setting my alarm for 2AM Friday morning so I can (attempt to) order as soon as they go live.

Great review by anand. Completely agree with him that the lack of a bigger size is becoming a holdback.

I'm sure Apple will come out a bigger size next year.

Synless

If you buy a phone off contract, do you have to still pay the additional costs on the bill as if you bought it subsidized?

Shady859

Pumped for friday and the grey although I would like to see the gold in person. I have had my iPhone 4 since release day and been on Straight Talk for awhile but they are throttling me and I get bad service near my work.

For anyone thinking of going Verizon prepaid, I was told today that 4G was not available at all on prepaid. Going to just go on contract and with employer discount monthly bill won't be that bad for beefy new phone and better service.

ecurbj

So when is ios7 supposed to go live?

10AM Pacific Time, 1PM Eastern Time.

They don't say, but historically the latest was around 10:00am PDT. Here are the previous times for the past iOS releases.

iOS 6.0 was released around 9am PDT on Sept 19th, 2012.

iOS 5.0 was released around 10am PDT on October 12, 2011.

iOS 4.0 was released around 9am PDT on June 21, 2010.

iOS 3.0 was released around 7am PDT on June 17, 2009.

iOS 2.0 was released around 5am PDT on July 11, 2008.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I heard somewhere that it costs Apple absurdly low amount to upgrade the storage space in a phone to 32GB or 64GB. Makes buying the 64GB for $200 more a massive ripoff.

Top Bottom