• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Kajigger

I heard somewhere that it costs Apple absurdly low amount to upgrade the storage space in a phone to 32GB or 64GB. Makes buying the 64GB for $200 more a massive ripoff.

It costs an absurdly low amount of money to make the iPhone in general. So it's a massive ripoff in general.

Not sure about the current phones but back when the 4S was brand new, I had access to the invoices for them. The 16gig cost Apple like $270, 32 was $30x and the 64 was somewhere like 330 to 350. Can't recall the exact numbers now since it's been awhile but those look right. I'm not sure why you people think these things cost pennies to make.

10AM Pacific Time, 1PM Eastern Time.

They don't say, but historically the latest was around 10:00am PDT. Here are the previous times for the past iOS releases.

iOS 6.0 was released around 9am PDT on Sept 19th, 2012.

iOS 5.0 was released around 10am PDT on October 12, 2011.

iOS 4.0 was released around 9am PDT on June 21, 2010.

iOS 3.0 was released around 7am PDT on June 17, 2009.

iOS 2.0 was released around 5am PDT on July 11, 2008.

Awesome, you even gave me some data. Thanks!

I found this tidbit interesting:

(MacRumors)​

I doubt I'll have trouble snagging a 64GB "space gray" model when stores open on Friday.

That also probably answers the question of why Apple doesn't offer 128GB just yet.

Agreed with both of you. I really wanted a 128GB model (had a 64GB 4S before) but it seems like most people still go for 16GB and 32GB with hardly anyone getting 64GB.

Space Grey 5S 64GB on Sprint here I come.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So any of y'all gonna case up and screen protect your 5S?

I need recommendations on clear cases. Any particular brand you like?
Case yes.

Screen protector no.

I know from experience with using screen protector it and not using one.. That screen doesn't scratch much unless it is in a dangerous situation (avoid keys if possible - but even still it's probably fine). And the oleophobic coating is part of the joy of the phone. It's so nice when it doesn't get greasy, and wipes clean with just a swab of your t-shirt.

Shearie

So any of y'all gonna case up and screen protect your 5S?

I need recommendations on clear cases. Any particular brand you like?

FUCK ALL DAT NOISE SON!!!!!

I dropped my naked 4S on the concrete and hard floor 3 times and I didn't get a single scratch on the touchscreen and maybe a few super light scratches on the back and a tiny bit of scuffing on the sides. My shit's beautiful.

krpiper

A few questions about upgrading and preordering.

1. My power button went out on my iPhone 5 so I sent it to apple and within a week or so I'll get a replacement, its a 32gb verizon black. I want to sell it to buy the 5s, how much do you think I should be able to get?

2. How does preordering from Apple.com work? I have class and work on Friday until about 3 so I doubt that I would be able to go to a Verizon store and get one. Can I fill out a form beforehand and just hit submit? Or is it a rush to get the form filled out first? Also what time will they go live, if I live in CSD time zone?

3. Can I use my iPhone 5 case? They are the same dimensions right?

Thanks!

gimmmick

Going to my local verizon store on friday and hopefully will be able to pick up a 32gig gold iphone 5s. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get one without hassle at whatever time they open up.

I find it odd the biggest apple fanboys of them all (theverge) doesn't have their review up.

Killah

Hopefully I'll be able to grab one at the AT&T Store or Best Buy on Friday.

Really don't want to camp out at the Apple Store 30 miles away haha.

ecurbj

Must resist upgrading from my iPhone 4S. must wait until next year....
Dear god I hope they give more screen sizes
Next fall will be here soon as you know it. You could give in to your cravings now or wait for a full redesign for next year. Up to you. Either go with the 5S or next years model is still a upgrade for you. 4S is still a nice model regardless. But I'm sure you want to upgrade :)

Waiting a whole year for disappointment. :(

Give in!

One of us, One of us, One of us! Do it.

Yours,

Franck

Next fall will be here soon as you know it. You could give in to your cravings now or wait for a full redesign for next year. Up to you. Either go with the 5S or next years model is still a upgrade for you. 4S is still a nice model regardless. But I'm sure you want to upgrade :)

I'm pretty satisfied with the speed of the 4S...

The only things bugging me is that my screen is cracked, my home button has been pretty stiff and hard to press and lack of LTE. I don't really see the 5S' screen to be an upgrade

Maaaaan. Damn tech lust.

gimmmick

"From a CPU and GPU standpoint, the 5s is probably the most futureproof of any iPhone ever launched. As much as it pains me to use the word futureproof, if you are one of those people who likes to hold onto their device for a while - the 5s is as good a starting point as any." - anandtech

If there are so many people on the fence for upgrading, I don't know what else will push you over to upgrade for the 5s. Even with the 1gig of ram, I think apple created a device that will last people a while.

ecurbj

If there are so many people on the fence for upgrading, I don't know what else will push you over to upgrade for the 5s. Even with the 1gig of ram, I think apple created a device that will last people a while.
I've heard this statement before when Apple introduced their previous A series chips. Not the case when they can always introduce a more powerful chip the following year and a software update that would make the previous entries obsolete.

I'm pretty satisfied with the speed of the 4S...

The only things bugging me is that my screen is cracked, my home button has been pretty stiff and hard to press and lack of LTE. I don't really see the 5S' screen to be an upgrade

Maaaaan. Damn tech lust.
Just get the 4S swapped out with new one at the Apple Store for $150 then.

Erebus

I've heard this statement before when Apple introduced their previous A series chips. Not the case when they can always introduce a more powerful chip the following year and a software update that would make the previous entries obsolete.

How's that any different than what the other Android-powered smartphone manufacturers are doing? Hell, Sony is releasing Z1 soon and the current Z was released what? 6 months ago?

Also, iOS 7 is supported by even the iPhone 4.

Enco

FUCK ALL DAT NOISE SON!!!!!

I dropped my naked 4S on the concrete and hard floor 3 times and I didn't get a single scratch on the touchscreen and maybe a few super light scratches on the back and a tiny bit of scuffing on the sides. My shit's beautiful.
I can do slim cases but screen protectors are a no go.

I paid for a premium product. I want to protect it but I also want to full experience it and use it to it's full potential. Having a screen protector messes up the screen.

And a lot of people are still happy with their iPhone 4's, crazy enough, so for the non-technophiles like us, I think that statement might be true.

Cromat

And a lot of people are still happy with their iPhone 4's, crazy enough, so for the non-technophiles like us, I think that statement might be true.

My iPhone 4 is still perfectly fine. Battery hasn't degraded noticeably, screen is without any blemish (thanks to me and my front covering cases), home button works. For web browsing and messaging it works great. Non-intensive games run well. Some apps like Facebook are slow though. It's not an obsolete piece of crap by any stretch.

I don't need to upgrade, I just want to because I'm a materialist, marketing-driven asshole like the rest of you.

I'm seriously considering holding it out for another year to see if the iPhone 6 comes out with a bigger screen (which it almost certainly will).

Ovid

iOS7 is going to have the "slow down pre-iPhone5 devices" bit set.
Join us!
I agree. I got my 4S last year and I'm not going to make the jump to iOS 7.

I noticed that upgrading previous iOS devices to the next revision slows down the hardware. This eventually forces your hand to upgrade your device. No thanks.

If I had a 5 I would do it though.

Making the jump from the 4s to the 5s myself. Don't really want to live on the Apple ecosystem anymore but the only Android phone I would want (Sony Xperia Z1) doesn't appear to be coming to the US anytime soon and my 4s is going to complete crap =(.

Also going to be jumping carriers since Verizon no longer offers Unlimited data and they're basically forcing me off of my Unlimited 3G plan....

I live in the Dallas area. Anyone have any good things to say about T-Mobile?

LCfiner

I agree. I got my 4S last year and I'm not going to make the jump to iOS 7.

I noticed that upgrading previous iOS devices to the next revision slows down the hardware. This eventually forces your hand to upgrade your device. No thanks.

If I had a 5 I would do it though.

other people in here have been using the ios7 beta and have not noticed any speed decreases on iOS 7. And I’m using it on the A5 based ipad mini and it runs A-OK

the 4s is still very capable hardware and ios7 doesn’t lag on it the way, say, ios4 lagged on the old 3G.

Ninja Dom

Maybe I'm a bit slow this morning, but how does that work?

Download the Apple Store app. Open it, go to stores and book an appointment at the Genius Bar for iPhone at your nearest store.

Once you're there they'll advise you about how to get a replacement phone.

potam

Banned
Download the Apple Store app. Open it, go to stores and book an appointment at the Genius Bar for iPhone at your nearest store.

Once you're there they'll advise you about how to get a replacement phone.

Damn, didn't connect the dots about the dude's phone being messed up. And I imagine it's only if you have Applecare on it right?

ChanHuk

Banned
Oh, lol. I was reading too much into it thinking there was some secret program at Apple stores to just straight trade in your phone and get a new one for $150 :(

It's not a secret program. Apple has always had an out of warranty service. But for $200 it's just not worth it to replace an iPhone 4S, especially when there's a new phone available.

Number45

According to macrumors the 5S supply is severely limited, 3/4 5S models are space grey but they will have 5C models up the you know what
Interesting. I'm in no immediate hurry (and I have no idea what it's going to cost at the moment) so I don't mind holding out a while.

"Sorry, sir, we don't have any Gold iPhone 5s left. Can I interest you in a pink iPhone 5c?"
hqdefault.jpg

Cheech

Me too. I was hoping to see improvement in that.

Anyone with an iPhone 5 still on the fence about getting a 5S?

Well, the camera on my 5 is jacked up due to a drop. It's all free from work, so I'm going to upgrade to a 5s instead of getting my 5 fixed.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the camera, I wouldn't bother. I have a feeling the iPhone 6 is going to be a very, very impressive device, and the 5 -> 5s upgrade just isn't compelling enough for me. I went from a 4s to a 5 primarily for LTE, and I was not disappointed. There is just no such upgrade this time. The 5s is really not meant for people to upgrade to from a 5, IMO, it feels like overkill.

If they had changed the flash sizing from 32 - 64 - 128 and gone to 802.11ac for the WiFi, *that* would have been at least a bit more compelling.

Top Bottom