• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

kaskade

Well of course the 64GB doesn't sell as much, it's too damn expensive. I have trouble getting myself to get the 32GB model because of the price increase.

It really is. 400 dollars on contract too. That's a lot. The contracted phone market has people comfortable with thinking 200 is the price you pay for the phone. I do see people not having a need for the space though. I know plenty of people who are fine with the 16 gb. I'm assuming with the next model they are going to bump the capacity up. Seems like a good enough bullet point to add.

Did none of these reviewers get the gold? I want to see more pictures of it.

Looks like slash gear did. http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5s-review-17298032/

Espresso

Banned
I wonder... If you shoot video using the 'slo-mo' mode, and then choose not to slow down any bits of what you shot, it could possibly be a workaround to keeping video file sizes down (720p v. 1080p).

I wonder... If you shoot video using the 'slo-mo' mode, and then choose not to slow down any bits of what you shot, it could possibly be a workaround to keeping video file sizes down (720p v. 1080p).

It would require removing 3 out of 4 frames in those sections to trim the filesize down, I'd think, and then increase the duration of the remaining frames by 4x. Would be a cool workaround, but your initial file would still be huge.

Yea, i think i'll wait a month or two. I was pretty much all set to snag a 32gb silver 5s but that off contract price is getting really hard to swallow:(

I don't know why verizon and att dont just bring back their unlimited data, i mean sprint and tmo have it.

Vyer

Well of course the 64GB doesn't sell as much, it's too damn expensive. I have trouble getting myself to get the 32GB model because of the price increase.

Same here. Luckily I've transitioned enough to cloud stuff that I could make do with even the 16GB, but I'd love to see it drop and the 32 become the entry point.

woober

I have an iphone 5 from a family member's upgrade. My 2 year contract is up and am eligible for an upgrade. Am I allowed to have ATT unlock my iphone 5?

Dumb Q: Is Target going to stock these on Friday? I'd rather just go there then out of my way to a Verizon or Apple store. Plus, 5% RedCard discount!

Number45

This is as good a place to ask as any: do we know if the Touch ID sensor will be able to be used to generate a one time password for two factor authentication? I appreciate I'll be able to use it for all Apple ID related authentication on the device itself - but I want to know if I can configure for example the iCloud login page to require authentication and allow me to swipe my finger and generate a code to login?

Asking because I'd love to move my email from gmail (much prefer my @me.com email address), but there's no way I'm shifting it without more robust security options.

potam

Banned
This is as good a place to ask as any: do we know if the Touch ID sensor will be able to be used to generate a one time password for two factor authentication? I appreciate I'll be able to use it for all Apple ID related authentication on the device itself - but I want to know if I can configure for example the iCloud login page to require authentication and allow me to swipe my finger and generate a code to login?

Asking because I'd love to move my email from gmail (much prefer my @me.com email address), but there's no way I'm shifting it without more robust security options.

From everything I've read, only opening the phone and authenticating App Store purchases will use Touch ID at this point.

DarkFlow

Banned

Nope, apple locked the API down tight for it. Most you'll have for awhile is phone unlock and app store/iTunes.

Number45

Nope, apple locked the API down tight for it. Most you'll have for awhile is phone unlock and app store/iTunes.
But if Apple ID uses it, which is obviously the same as iCloud, it's feasible that you could use it as an authenticator? I don't really care about other sites, because I secure those separately, but with mail being the recovery tool for everything it's the one item I won't compromise on.

Question for previous iphone releases. I thought I remembered in the past that the new phones were sold out for a while after release, even online. I plan to pick the phone up late October from Verizon's website, will the be back in stock more than likely by then?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Still not sure what I'm going to do about this release. I could try Apple's website, but I imagine that's going to be hard. I'm super bummed about them not doing 5S preorders.

Britprog

Any idea what's happening with orders on the online apple store.

I'm not queuing up as I have a job and am too busy, so willing to wait for a week or whatever for the 5s to be delivered.

Does anyone know when orders will start online?

SuperPac

I'm not queuing up as I have a job and am too busy, so willing to wait for a week or whatever for the 5s to be delivered.

Tonight at midnight PDT.

Number45

Midnight tonight (PST) I think. It won't be pretty.

Cromat

Already asked but what are the odds I can stroll into a store (Apple or other) in London and walk out with one of these next week?

bodine1231

I'd love to get an Iphone 5s (even though I just got the HTC One a couple months ago) but Apple still hasn't/didn't add wifi calling to IOS which is pretty close to a dealbreaker for me. Still tempted though...

krpiper

How is the online launch? Would I be better served on just waking up early and going to a Target or something?

Can I call and ask how many iPhones they will have in? Or do they even know?

J-Rod

How is the online launch? Would I be better served on just waking up early and going to a Target or something?

Can I call and ask how many iPhones they will have in? Or do they even know?

I called my local sprint shop and they said they weren't allowed to disclose exactly how many iPhones they were getting in. They did say they could tell me that it was "a lot", though.

Killah

I just stopped by the AT&T Store and asked if they would have the 5s in stock tomorrow, they said they would but they also said they'd be opening early tomorrow at 7AM, 2 hours earlier then usual.

So if you plan on heading out, I'd check ahead of time. I'm not sure if this is normal, if it is disregard.

Espresso

Banned
I just stopped by the AT&T Store and asked if they would have the 5s in stock tomorrow, they said they would but they also said they'd be opening early tomorrow at 7AM, 2 hours earlier then usual.

So if you plan on heading out, I'd check ahead of time. I'm not sure if this is normal, if it is disregard.

VZW stores are opening an hour earlier, too (8am vs. 9am).

Has anyone purchased an iPhone at launch from the online store and picked it up in store instead of having it shipped? I've never used in store pick up from Apple, so I'm curious. I don't even know if it will be an option for the new phones tomorrow, but it would make my life easier as I've had a lot of problems receiving packages lately.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Interesting. I'm going to call them today and see if they're doing the same thing at my local store.

Fury Sense

Am I going to have to camp out overnight to get one from the apple store tomorrow? Will a Verizon store have it offline?

edit: just read some posts above. Yes VZW will likely have it. I'll call mine

Can you do AT&T early iPhone upgrade orders from Apple's website? Or should I just stick to AT&T's website?

As in the $449, $549, $649 pricing for people who haven't hit the 2 year mark? I was able to confirm that I am eligible for that pricing through the Apple Store app, so I assume you can purchase through Apple and get that pricing.

Husker86

As in the $449, $549, $649 pricing for people who haven't hit the 2 year mark? I was able to confirm that I am eligible for that pricing through the Apple Store app, so I assume you can purchase through Apple and get that pricing.

Yep that's what I'm talking about.

Hmm, so now I have a choice of where to order. I have a feeling the Apple site will be getting hit harder than AT&T site so probably stick with AT&T. Or just try both at the same time!

Yep that's what I'm talking about.

Hmm, so now I have a choice of where to order. I have a feeling the Apple site will be getting hit harder than AT&T site so probably stick with AT&T. Or just try both at the same time!

I've never purchased a phone with the early upgrade pricing, so I'm just going by what I was able to pull up in the Apple Store app. Is it after 6 months of a contract that you qualify for the early upgrade with AT&T? I'm not sure if I want to upgrade from my 5 to a 5S, although it wouldn't cost much since I could cover a lot selling my phone, but if I do upgrade to the 5S then I'll qualify for the same pricing again by the time the iPhone 6 rolls around?

potam

Banned
Has Verizon ever done anything shady in the past like not allowing online orders unless you're attaching it to a new contract?

Enco

So in the UK we can order from one minute after midnight, right? Usually it's 8am.
Yea 1 past midnight.

Damn at the stock levels. What the fuck happened? Kinda horrendous to be honest. The guys in charge aren't going to be happy with the crappy sale numbers.

Lets hope the UK is better off.

Haribo

Banned
Yea 1 past midnight.

Damn at the stock levels. What the fuck happened? Kinda horrendous to be honest. The guys in charge aren't going to be happy with the crappy sale numbers.

Lets hope the UK is better off.
Cheers. I remember for both the 4S & 5 while the site was cunting up the Apple Store app still worked smoothly so I'd recommend downloading that if you're getting one.

kaskade

I'm assuming they are going to have more stock for the US, because America.

I'm debating on staying up tonight to order it. 3 am is a while though. I guess GTA will help me with that.

potam

Banned
I'm assuming they are going to have more stock for the US, because America.

I'm debating on staying up tonight to order it. 3 am is a while though. I guess GTA will help me with that.

God bless.

I'm gonna set an alarm tonight and see if I'm able to order online for in-store pickup. I've never tried getting one at launch, and everything seems to get uglier and uglier as the clock keeps ticking.

Top Bottom