• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Seems like the gold is the most constrained, hoping that not as many people initially go for the 64GB version so I have a chance at a decent delivery window.

Husker86

I've never purchased a phone with the early upgrade pricing, so I'm just going by what I was able to pull up in the Apple Store app. Is it after 6 months of a contract that you qualify for the early upgrade with AT&T? I'm not sure if I want to upgrade from my 5 to a 5S, although it wouldn't cost much since I could cover a lot selling my phone, but if I do upgrade to the 5S then I'll qualify for the same pricing again by the time the iPhone 6 rolls around?

For iPhones I don't think it matters where you are in your contract, no matter what they say in writing. The AT&T website is offering it to me and I just signed up in June.

If you do the early upgrade, your 2 year contract starts over. So next year, when you would have normally been ready for a full upgrade, you'll have to do an early upgrade again (since it will only be one year into your new contract).

Lo-Volt

After playing with iOS 7 on my 4S, I'm becoming more tempted to walk by my carrier store earlier in the morning to see if I can get lucky with the 5S. I doubt that'll work so well, but I'm hoping the majority of interested consumers will attack Apple Stores first...

potam

Banned
After playing with iOS 7 on my 4S, I'm becoming more tempted to walk by my carrier store earlier in the morning to see if I can get lucky with the 5S. I doubt that'll work so well, but I'm hoping the majority of interested consumers will attack Apple Stores first...

Yeah...my original plan was to order online tonight and pick up in store. But, I guess it's looking like you can't schedule in-store pickup for these? And then it doesn't look like Verizon is even offering online sales until 8am.

Everything about this is so confusing

kaskade

Man, Tmobile just said they don't have a specific time that the 5s will be on sale (according to their help twitter).

The apple site does have 24 month financing on the phone but then I have to open another credit line which I don't really want to do. I figure I could do the in store and just pick it up friday. I'm probably better off just trying my luck with tmobile.

For iPhones I don't think it matters where you are in your contract, no matter what they say in writing. The AT&T website is offering it to me and I just signed up in June.

If you do the early upgrade, your 2 year contract starts over. So next year, when you would have normally been ready for a full upgrade, you'll have to do an early upgrade again (since it will only be one year into your new contract).

With how much money you can sell the previous year's iPhone for, I don't know that being on a yearly upgrade path is unreasonable at this point. If I can get the newest model every year, and only pay like $200 out of pocket for it every time, I'm fine with that.

Lo-Volt

Yeah...my original plan was to order online tonight and pick up in store. But, I guess it's looking like you can't schedule in-store pickup for these? And then it doesn't look like Verizon is even offering online sales until 8am.

Everything about this is so confusing

Yeah, the online order option from your carrier shouldn't be open until tomorrow for the iPhone 5s regardless of delivery option, so I'm not sure. It's a shot in the dark. I'm either lucky to live in a big city with a relatively good stock situation or I'm going to get caught in line hell. Or I'll sleep in. Your carrier store might open a little earlier if you're going there on the way to something, though. (Sprint is in some places, apparently.)

Husker86

With how much money you can sell the previous year's iPhone for, I don't know that being on a yearly upgrade path is unreasonable at this point. If I can get the newest model every year, and only pay like $200 out of pocket for it every time, I'm fine with that.

You're probably looking at $400-450 for a good condition iPhone 5 right now.

Does anyone know if a Verizon store has any limits to how many you can get, if you're lucky enough to be there in time? I don't need a phone but my family is under the impression that I should just stroll in and grab 3.

kingocfs

Going to try my luck somewhere tomorrow. Sounds like the Space Grey is getting priority in the stores, though, so if you want either of the other two it's probably best to just order online.

Husker86

Where do you think is the best place to unload it for that price?

Craigslist

Yup, Craigslist. If your area doesn't have much demand you can try eBay. You'll get a bit more but will pay some fees that will probably take you down to or under a good Craigslist offer...then there's the risk of scammy buyers. I never had trouble and have sold several phones on eBay, but I try to avoid it if I can.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
3am EST (midnight PST)

This is the part I'm not excited about. I mean, I'm excited because it's fun...But not because :(

What time can retail shops start selling? Walmart/Target/Best Buy?

And if I were to buy a phone for my wife, can I have her information, or does she need to be there? If she needs to be there, I'll just do the online thing. Otherwise, I may go try and get one at a store.

J-Rod

This is the part I'm not excited about. I mean, I'm excited because it's fun...But not because :(

What time can retail shops start selling? Walmart/Target/Best Buy?

And if I were to buy a phone for my wife, can I have her information, or does she need to be there? If she needs to be there, I'll just do the online thing. Otherwise, I may go try and get one at a store.

My wife is on my account (sprint) and I didn't need her or her phone when I went to get us 4S's. If it is a separate account, or if you are not the primary on the account, then you probably would need her there.

nikos

Anyone in NYC lining up?

My current plan is to leave around 5 AM (when the L train starts running again) but I'm still not sure which Apple store to go to. Any suggestions?

Also entertaining going to Long Island. If I do that, I'd get to Roosevelt Field around 4:15 AM. I feel like that might be a better option.

Alternatively, I could try my luck online. I've been getting lucky every year going that route.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My wife is on my account (sprint) and I didn't need her or her phone when I went to get us 4S's. If it is a separate account, or if you are not the primary on the account, then you probably would need her there.

We haven't merged accounts yet for certain reasons.

I may just use this an excuse to take an extended nap and wake up early to game and wait to do an online order.

Husker86

Question, can we just walk into an AT&T store and buy it outright for $650 or whatever it is and do we get an unlocked phone?

If you buy from AT&T, even for full price, it will not be factory unlocked. They may/may not unlock it for you if you ask nicely at a later time.

subrock

Question, can we just walk into an AT&T store and buy it outright for $650 or whatever it is and do we get an unlocked phone?

the way I understand, you can only buy factory unlocked phone through apple.com. You may be able to purchase outright and get a carrier unlock right away, but its possible that it could cost extra.

So im confused. At 12am pst, can I get on the att or apple store and order one for instore pickup tomorrow? Or just have to luck out and walk in at some point tomorrow?

nikos

So im confused. At 12am pst, can I get on the att or apple store and order one for instore pickup tomorrow? Or just have to luck out and walk in at some point tomorrow?

You can either order online for delivery, or line up at a store. Ordering for in-store pickup is said to not yet be available.

Lo-Volt

You can either order online for delivery, or line up at a store. Ordering for in-store pickup is said to not yet be available.

I'm really unsure about how much time I should devote to waiting at a carrier store in the city. It sounds like such a crap shoot.

If you buy from AT&T, even for full price, it will not be factory unlocked. They may/may not unlock it for you if you ask nicely at a later time.

the way I understand, you can only buy factory unlocked phone through apple.com. You may be able to purchase outright and get a carrier unlock right away, but its possible that it could cost extra.

I got my iPhone 5 brand new from someone who had his phone from AT&T. He said e paid full price and I researched online that when you buy outright, the phone, though technically not factory unlocked, it still is unlocked and works for any provider.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I got my iPhone 5 brand new from someone who had his phone from AT&T. He said e paid full price and I researched online that when you buy outright, the phone, though technically not factory uncooked, it still is unlocked and works for any provider.
Well you won't be getting it on a CDMA provider unless it was purchased through them. Verizon and sprint won't let you add ESN numbers to phones they did not sell.

Marco1

When ordering online should I use the store app or apple web store?
Which would be the most reliable when the servers are being hit?
Thanks.

nikos

When ordering online should I use the store app or apple web store?
Which would be the most reliable when the servers are being hit?
Thanks.

People seemed to have better luck ordering via the app last year, if I remember correctly.

Husker86

I got my iPhone 5 brand new from someone who had his phone from AT&T. He said e paid full price and I researched online that when you buy outright, the phone, though technically not factory unlocked, it still is unlocked and works for any provider.

I suppose you could hope for that. But I have never heard that before. AT&T is supposed to be better now than they were before about unlocking iPhones for customers who are in good standing though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So apparently Sprint is taking orders for their next 5s shipment in stores? I just put one in, should get it in on monday.
Called my store. They said there was no way for that to occur. They can waitlist me. Maybe that is what you are talking about.

Top Bottom