• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

potam

Banned
Everything I've been reading today has me so worried. I'm pretty sure if I call out sick tomorrow and go wait in line, everyone would know what I was doing.

I'm in a family plan on AT&T and want to take my moms upgrade to buy a new 5S (then I'll give her my old iPhone 5).

Anyone do something like this before? Is it complicated process?

Did it before when my 3GS got stolen, I took my dad's upgrade.

You'll need the account holder's information to do it though and they will temporarily disable both lines to switch over the numbers. Since the information is sensitive, it's easier to have the account holder with you when you do this, though I managed to do it without my mom present; I'm an authorized user on the account and have the necessary info from her to access the account.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't understand. Why did it go live for uk people at midnight but the east coast has to wait until 3am?

What's quicker? 7-10 business days or trying my luck at stores next week?

I find it kind of stressing to go from place to place in search of something, but if you find it that day, it's rewarding.

In this instance though, I'd rather wait and let it come to me. Saves multiple trips and headaches.

Husker86

I don't understand. Why did it go live for uk people at midnight but the east coast has to wait until 3am?

Well, I can understand that. It's one country with one time zone. It would be a bit more unfair if parts of the US could suck up all the country's allocation before another part. Gonna be rough for me being Central time (2am preorders start), I do feel for the east coasters.

Doesn't matter.

Y'all be waiting 7-10 days either way. :p

Oh hell naw! Apple has to show love to it's home!
please

Doc Evils

fSREwV0.jpg

Sean

Banned
Did it before when my 3GS got stolen, I took my dad's upgrade.

You'll need the account holder's information to do it though and they will temporarily disable both lines to switch over the numbers. Since the information is sensitive, it's easier to have the account holder with you when you do this, though I managed to do it without my mom present; I'm an authorized user on the account and have the necessary info from her to access the account.

Thanks for explaining everything. Did you do this at the carrier store or an Apple store?

Thanks. Did you do this at the carrier store or an Apple store?

No problem and I did it at the Apple store, no fuss. Just ended up browsing on one of the macbooks while we waited for AT&T to confirm everything. I did end up stopping by an AT&T store later that day just to check and they said that everything was fine and that I would be free to upgrade my line as normal.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I will not wait in a damn line to grab the phone.

So if I have to wait 7 to 10 days then im going to wait 7 to 10 days. smh.

Damnit Apple. Why are you doing this to me? The people need a preorder. The 4s order was so smooth.

Espresso

Banned
The store opens at 8. I don't mind standing in line and talking to people for an hour if it means I don't have to wait a third of a month to receive a phone.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm going to my local VZW store at 7am to wait in line (if there is one).

The store opens at 8. I don't mind standing in line and talking to people for an hour if it means I don't have to wait a third of a month to receive a phone.

An hour early and walking out with the phone you want?

You roll the dice, sir.

nikos

With all these low stock reports, I'm thinking about heading to the 5th Ave. store in NYC soon. I'll be there for about 8 hours, but whatever. I waited longer to preorder a PS3.

I planned on going to a store around 4 or 5 AM but it seems things are getting crazier than I thought.

I was at the AT&T store earlier and the manager said they are only getting the space grey color in stock. They didn't receive any gold or silver. Then I called another store and they said they do not know what colors they have. THEN i called the apple store and they said they don't know either. The only people who know at apple are the inventory control people according to the guy on the phone.

Man, there is going to be some pissed off people waiting in line tomorrow only to find out they don't have stock of their preferred color.
This was in Lewisville,TX.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Just a word of advice that the App Store app has been far more reliable during peak times compared to the website. I preordered my 5 through the app last year while the site was getting hammered.

Sean

Banned
No problem and I did it at the Apple store, no fuss. Just ended up browsing on one of the macbooks while we waited for AT&T to confirm everything. I did end up stopping by an AT&T store later that day just to check and they said that everything was fine and that I would be free to upgrade my line as normal.

Awesome, was hoping the Apple Store would be able to handle this type of scenario as they've usually got way more stock than AT&T stores. Hopefully I'm able to get one tomorrow morning.

SuperPac

Gonna go space gray 64GB. Ordering online - I can wait the 7-10 days if that's also the wait in the US. Not a huge deal.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
BOOM! Just ordered mine for delivery on Monday. So much for 3 opening orders at 8am. LOL

I should say, all of their white and Gold 5s's are listed as 18th October so looks like it's gonna be a while before stock sorts itself out.

tV1zyOB.png

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
BOOM! Just ordered mine for delivery on Monday. So much for 3 opening orders at 8am. LOL

I should say, all of their white and Gold 5s's are listed as 18th October so looks like it's gonna be a while before stock sorts itself out.

tV1zyOB.png

what where? are you not in the US?

I just need to order 2 phone space gray at 3am est time here. I hope they can get delivered soon.

Shearie

I plan on going to the Apple Store nearest me right when it opens tomorrow for a 5s and I really hope barely anyone will be there.

Anyone here ever buy an iPhone at launch at the Apple Store in Gilbert Arizona? If so, were there insane lines?

ChanHuk

Banned
That was a headache, sold my 64GB iPhone 5 for $440 locally through CL. Granted I coulda probably sold it for $500+ if it were in mint shape but two dings and scuffs around the chamfer left it in good condition with a pristine display (replaced by Apple a month ago).

Now as to where to go in the morning.

Magnus

I'm hoping 5am at a carrier's store near here will cut it. They open at 8am.

I plan on going to the Apple Store nearest me right when it opens tomorrow for a 5s and I really hope barely anyone will be there.

Anyone here ever buy an iPhone at launch at the Apple Store in Gilbert Arizona? If so, were there insane lines?

I have to believe every Apple Store will have crazy lines. Have you ever seen a quiet Apple Store at any time of day? lol

RDreamer

Heading out about an hour before store open tomorrow with a friend of mine. Hopefully it goes alright. I'm worried we'll probably be in with a huge crowd or something that's waited all night. I still think heading in at 10 or 11 would be better, but we'll see.

Only other launch I've gone to was the 4s, and that was pretty accidental. Waltzed in at like 2 or 3 and walked out in less than an hour.

Red Comet

I was going to order this from Apple, but I've been thinking instead that I'll just pick it up from the Verizon store tomorrow assuming they've got it in stock. If they do, I'm really hoping they've got some Gold 32GB's left by the time I get there around 4 PM, but I'll settle for one of the other two colors if I have to. My body is ready.

Taigor

Neo Member
For what it's worth to those expecting to walk in and get a 5S in store...

I was just first in line with some friends at my local Apple store. The store leader asked us which models we want and informed us that it is "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" that our store will have any Gold 5S's or any 64GB white 5S's. I'm shooting for an online order at this point.

TwIsTeD

I`m stuck in Philly for work until tomorrow night....Apple store here has about 8 lined up already.

I`m gonna try for a 3 am preorder.....if that doesnt work i`ll drag my ass 5 blocks up and see how bad the line is.

As someone that has gotten every single iPhone on launch day I will just say this....buy the color you want and not the color they have

Top Bottom