• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

For what it's worth to those expecting to walk in and get a 5S in store...

I was just first in line with some friends at my local Apple store. The store leader asked us which models we want and informed us that it is "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" that our store will have any Gold 5S's or any 64GB white 5S's. I'm shooting for an online order at this point.

Holy crap, no Gold at an Apple Store is nuts. I don't even have an Apple store within 100 miles so I'm settling for online ordering too since I don't want to end up with whatever scraps carriers are getting.

potam

Banned
Man...have my alarm set for 2:50. Not sure if I want to order one online and then see if I can actually pick one up in store tomorrow.

What are the chances I can walk into an Apple store around noon and actually walk out with one?

Red Comet

For what it's worth to those expecting to walk in and get a 5S in store...

I was just first in line with some friends at my local Apple store. The store leader asked us which models we want and informed us that it is "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" that our store will have any Gold 5S's or any 64GB white 5S's. I'm shooting for an online order at this point.

That's a bit scary. I'll see what is available tomorrow at my local stores and then go online if I have to.

so i got a question, im looking to buy the t-mobile unlocked 5s tomorrow, but im already on a pre paid t-mobile plan 4G with my nexus 4.
can i just take out the chip and put it in the iphone 5s? like a plug and play, without calling t-mobile.

thanks in advance

Mononoke

Banned
Thinking of buying an iPhone 5S at Best Buy tomorrow (if I can get one). However, I don't have a contract upgrade. I'm going to be trading in some old phones I have. Anyways, long story short on Best Buy's site it lists the retail price outside of the 2 year contract but it says (replacement phone only).

Does that mean Best Buy won't sell me a copy for retail tomorrow? That they are only doing 2 year contracts? I've heard of some stores doing that at launch.

timnich

so i got a question, im looking to buy the t-mobile unlocked 5s tomorrow, but im already on a pre paid t-mobile plan 4G with my nexus 4.
can i just take out the chip and put it in the iphone 5s? like a plug and play, without calling t-mobile.

thanks in advance
The iPhone 5s uses a nano sim while the Nexus 4 uses a micro sim. You either need to buy a new sim through t-mobile or cut your micro sim to a nano. There are guides online to do it. It's fairly easy.

Koodo

Banned
I'm going to get to the Apple store at 6AM and PRAY TO ALL DEITIES that I'm early enough to snatch a 64GB Space Gray.

What time are the Apple stores opening the gates?

Husker86

Thinking of buying an iPhone 5S at Best Buy tomorrow (if I can get one). However, I don't have a contract upgrade. I'm going to be trading in some old phones I have. Anyways, long story short on Best Buy's site it lists the retail price outside of the 2 year contract but it says (replacement phone only).

Does that mean Best Buy won't sell me a copy for retail tomorrow? That they are only doing 2 year contracts? I've heard of some stores doing that at launch.

Best Buy is a lot more picky about selling phones with contracts over outright, but they are fully able to sell a phone for full price. It's really going to depend on your local staff and how much their manager sucks.

Gotchaye

Ready to try to order one online as soon as the gates open, but I can't decide what color to get. I really like the black 4 I have now, but the two-color gray/black back of the gray 5S is a little off-putting. Maybe I'll get silver, even if I'm not a big fan of the white front.

TheLegend

If I were to order online, am I able to cancel if I'm able to pick one up in store or is it too late at that point. Anyone have experience with that?

cevansdust

Neo Member
Hopefully the leather cases are going to be available tonight as well. I'm picking the phone up through Verizon but want the red case as well.

Mononoke

Banned
Best Buy is a lot more picky about selling phones with contracts over outright, but they are fully able to sell a phone for full price. It's really going to depend on your local staff and how much their manager sucks.

Alright. I'll try my luck tomorrow, and see what happens.

I actually like my HTC One, so I'm not going to care if I can't get one tomorrow. But I'll try!

What is everyone's favorite color?

Taigor

Neo Member
If I were to order online, am I able to cancel if I'm able to pick one up in store or is it too late at that point. Anyone have experience with that?

An Apple store employee told me tonight that it will not renew your contract until it ships. He said that if you order online, then come in store and purchase, their system will automatically cancel the online order and you will not be charged.

I can't confirm what he said is accurate, but I've been wondering how all of this works myself. If what he said is true, it seems like it would be in everyone's best interest to order online even if you are planning on going to the store.

Anyone else have any insight?

Bungie's

Best buys price for the 16gb iphone 5 was $699.
If you live in California I would try wal mart. They only charge tax for the $200 you are paying not $650 like the other retailers.

Best buys price for the 16gb iphone 5 was $699.
If you live in California I would try wal mart. They only charge tax for the $200 you are paying not $650 like the other retailers.

I don't get it. Can you explain this?

You mean when you trade in a phone and get the price down to $200?

The iPhone 5s uses a nano sim while the Nexus 4 uses a micro sim. You either need to buy a new sim through t-mobile or cut your micro sim to a nano. There are guides online to do it. It's fairly easy.

ok thanks, will cut the sim myself but does this mean that i can pop in my chip with no problems , i don't have to call t-mobile to activate/re activate it. will it be activated with my current pre paid plan?

ok thanks, will cut the sim myself but does this mean that i can pop in my chip with no problems , i don't have to call t-mobile to activate/re activate it. will it be activated with my current pre paid plan?

Dunno bout T-Mo, but AT&T I think you have to call to switch from an Android to an iPhone plan. Same price, but they use different plans.

kingocfs

The 5S is the same dimensions as the 5, right? Hopefully it is, because then I won't have to buy another case :p

Flash is a bit different, might still work for your case though.

DSC_3401.jpg

NZer

question re: online store -
When does your order 'lock in' your place in the queue? When you add to cart, when you click checkout - or when everything at the end is all set and done?

Should I be pre-entering credit card details, etc., now - and how much can I trust the ship dates? I'll be moving october 6, so the expected arrival time is very important for whether I place an order.

Husker86

Dunno bout T-Mo, but AT&T I think you have to call to switch from an Android to an iPhone plan. Same price, but they use different plans.

Awww really? I am getting an iPhone to practice development but I still plan on using my GS4 most of the time. I was hoping I could just SIM swap whenever I got the urge to switch phones.

I just changed to mobile share if that makes a difference.

Mononoke

Banned
I have a cracked 4S.... I could get a new 4S for 99 cents or a 5S for $200... Tough call.

The jump from 4 to 5 was pretty big IMO. Every time I compare my dad's iPhone 4 to my 5, I can't imagine going back to the smaller screen. It also is a much quicker phone. 5s have even more improvements than 5.

So I would say the jump from 4s to 5s is definitely worth it.

Thaedolus

So, let's say I want the least hassle option available: can I go into a verizon store tomorrow and have them make a plan change for me and, assuming supplies are exhausted, have the back order a 5S for me? I need to switch my family plan over to the share everything plan. I'm dropping off my unlimited dated to get the upgrade price, but the overall monthly rate for our five devices will drop by 50 bucks...

So, walk in, handle the deal and wait for it arrive?

CronoShot

3.5 hours until Apple's online orders go live, and I still haven't decided if I want to upgrade to the 5S from my 5.

I am, but mainly because 16GB of storage just isn't working for me anymore. Going the full 64GB this time.

Honestly, if not for that, I probably wouldn't be upgrading, since my contract isn't up until next year. But if you're eligible for an upgrade, why not?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ready to try to order one online as soon as the gates open, but I can't decide what color to get. I really like the black 4 I have now, but the two-color gray/black back of the gray 5S is a little off-putting. Maybe I'll get silver, even if I'm not a big fan of the white front.

This is my dilemma though with a current iPhone 5 in slate, which I think is one of the most beautiful pieces of electronics ever. The space grey hasn't charmed me in photos, but the black elements of a white faced phone, proxy sensor and especially the black border of the LCD, irk me a lot.

nikos

Just lined up at the 14th St. Apple store in NYC. Good amount of people here but I think I'll be able to get a phone. Hoping for a silver or gold 64gb.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Getting an iPhone 5s on launch day was always going to be tough but now it looks like getting a 5s in a color other than gray on Friday will be all but impossible. Unnamed carrier sources tell 9to5Mac that they won’t have any white/silver or white/gold iPhone 5s models during the device’s launch day and that they will only have the new device available in space gray. 9to5Mac’s sources say that they might receive late shipments of silver and gold 5s models Thursday night but that they aren’t counting on it and are preparing to sell the 5s in only one color. That said, it’s entirely possible that there will be silver and gold models available on carrier websites, so it looks like there will be a lot of people waking up at 3:00 a.m. EDT tomorrow morning. Let’s hope that the Apple fans who began lining up a week early to get their favorite device can settle for space gray because otherwise they may start to feel a little foolish.
http://bgr.com/2013/09/19/iphone-5s-release-date-supplies/

#spacegrayteam holla!!!!!!

Top Bottom