• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

I too was under the assumption that the 5C would be C for cheap.

All the same though, phones have been this expensive literally for decades. If you guys don't know this you're too far up your carrier's ass to realize it.

I'm an Android user and every phone for about 3 years has been in the $600-$700 range. Two of them have been on contract so that's where the disconnect is. Unlocked phones are always this price and they pretty much always will be.

zhorkat

Too configurable for apple, but I can imagine them doing something more widespread like a parental mode.

Imagine an iPhone for your kid (eventually not a 5s now, lol), where if they used it they get the locked down version, but YOU can get the other features, such as system settings.

Maybe even multiple users/logins for iPads? It would be the apple way of doing things. No login screens, but built in user profiles and apps.

They could do something like a guest mode for people that don't have user accounts on the device. Man, simple authentication opens the door for a bunch of neat things. It's too bad Apple probably won't do any of this for like 3 years.

So is there any indication that Apple has an API for developers to interact with the fingerprint scanner? It's neat that it's there, but if it can only be used for unlocking and your iTunes account, then it's quite limiting.

-PXG-

I was expecting to be underwhelmed. And I am. Besides the fingerprint scanner and faster CPU (benchmarks are bullshit) there is nothing amazing about this. 5C is more interesting since it's actually competitive with mid range Android devices.

So is there any indication that Apple has an API for developers to interact with the fingerprint scanner? It's neat that it's there, but if it can only be used for unlocking and your iTunes account, then it's quite limiting.

To be honest-that's all I'd want it for. Apple doesn't store the fingerprint on their servers, and I have no desire to let 3rd party apps have access to it. I'm just tired of having to input my password all the time and fat finger it.

Using a 4S and my contract is over soon. Get 5S or wait for 6?

Wait for the 6. At this point the upgrades don't seem like much for the everyday user.
Isn't the 4S free now? I used it for about two years, loved it.
And iOS 7 is so ugly. Oh my god.

nib95

Banned
The biggest takeaway for me here is the price. $399 for the 64gb model? Is that Sim free? That seems exceptionally cheap. Aren;t these phones usually like $600 plus?

codhand

Thought I might be a little jealous when this news dropped.

Nope.

kDDEdGD.jpg
lol

48gb costs about $300 at apple

meanwhile my S4 got a 64gb micro SD card for a total of 80gbs for $40!

full retail on an S4? $599

do not regret my switch one bit

Will be upgrading to a 64GB Silver. I was pretty certain I was going to go Space Gray but... nope, Silver looks better.

I'll probably pick mine up around Christmas time as my 4S is still serving me well enough to last until December.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I was expecting to be underwhelmed. And I am. Besides the fingerprint scanner and faster CPU (benchmarks are bullshit) there is nothing amazing about this. 5C is more interesting since it's actually competitive with mid range Android devices.

You think so? I think mid range Android devices are cheaper. You can get high end Android phones like the One or the S4 for the same price as a 5C.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not saying it isn't a fine upgrade from a 4 or a 4S, I just don't see what the selling point is over a 5 at all (not that I'm expecting the 5S to appeal to the crowd that already owns 5 nor do I believe that's Apple's intent here).

It just seems like the model's only reason to exist is to pump up people who want the latest model since there's always a bunch of guys who sit on the last numbered model and wait for the "S" since its shiny and new.

To be honest-that's all I'd want it for. Apple doesn't store the fingerprint on their servers, and I have no desire to let 3rd party apps have access to it. I'm just tired of having to input my password all the time and fat finger it.

I'm tired of having to input my login and password for a bunch of things on my phone. It would be nice if we could utilize the fingerprint scanner for the same thing as you would for iTunes.

Best thing to do would be for Apple to extend Keychain to apps, then let the fingerprint authenticate Keychain. That way it'd still allow for apps to use that level of authentication without them actually having access to the fingerprint scanner itself.

Zee-Row

Banned
8 megapixels still for the camera? The Galaxy S4 has 12 megapixels. Why does Apple always gimp the camera? That's the feature i use the most when i whore myself on Facebook or Instagram.

HoodWinked

Whats not cheap about a $99 iphone 5?

cause thats not how it works. thats 99 with a 2 yr contract. the phone itself is $549/$649

8 megapixels still for the camera? The Galaxy S4 has 12 megapixels. Why does Apple always gimp the camera? That's the feature i use the most when i whore myself on Facebook or Instagram.

Megapixels typically dont matter its more about the quality of the lens and sensors. Though i got a laugh outta bigger pixels = better picture slide.

MarkusRJR

You already couldn't do anything on a touch screen with gloves on! Unless they're those special gloves that nobody has. Is that different on Windows phone?
Nokia and a few other manufacturers have been putting super sensitive screens that can sense your touches even with gloves on. It works nice up here in Canada during winter.

You really think number of megapixels is the determining factor in picture quality?

gcubed

not sure if this is real or troll. megapixel wars need to die

Best thing to do would be for Apple to extend Keychain to apps, then let the fingerprint authenticate Keychain. That way it'd still allow for apps to use that level of authentication without them actually having access to the fingerprint scanner itself.

I figure they could simply just have an API that responds with success or failure when you use the scanner which would prevent access from the fingerprint data. Either way, some way for apps to interact with it would be something I hope would justify this being built into the phone.

I can find you a 8 megapixel DSLR that will beat the crap out of a Galaxy S4 12 megapixel camera. It's not all about the pixel count.

Galaxy S4, HTC One, LG G2, maybe Moto X, and the Xperia Z1 when that comes out.

I guess this confirms my suspicions that all flagship Android phones are required to be ginormous. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I'm surprised that the Moto X is only 720p and dual-core, but if the price is right, I might just wait for that one.

Are you new to smart phones?

$200 has been the standard price for flagship phones for years.

Are you new to this conversation?

We're talking about the retail price.

And the fact that for everything else, prices have gone down over time even as power has improved.

A $500 TV today blows away a $5,000 TV from 10 years ago.
A $500 laptop today blows away a $1,500 laptop from 5 years ago

Yes, the $700 phone today blows away the $700 phone from 5 years ago....but why is it still $700?

subrock

One thing I thought after seeing the 5c video: Looks like there is a lot of robotic processes involved in the manufacturing which is maybe how they are able to keep high margins while satisfying the subsidy demands of the new Chinese carriers.

codhand

You really think number of megapixels is the determining factor in picture quality?

dude, defend all you want, less MP, same crappy file extension support, the most overpriced iteration yet. strike two for apple.

and oh the thing no one asked for; finger print scanning.

Top Bottom