• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Yoshiya

8 megapixels still for the camera? The Galaxy S4 has 12 megapixels. Why does Apple always gimp the camera? That's the feature i use the most when i whore myself on Facebook or Instagram.

Because if you know even the slightest anything about cameras (about as much as I'd claim to) you'd know megapixel count is at best a weak predictor of camera quality. Pixel size, sensor, optics, image processing...

There's plenty of room for Apple to shit on the competition here and they probably will.

Whats not cheap about a $99 iphone 5?

I was (cautiously) optimistic they'd try to pull a Nexus 4 like pricing structure and offer the phone at $300-400 off contract since that seems to be all the rage with carriers these days. Instead they rebadged the 5, threw some color on it, and basically charged the same price.

Ryck

A $500 TV today blows away a $5,000 TV from 10 years ago.
A $500 laptop today blows away a $1,500 laptop from 5 years ago

Yes, the $700 phone today blows away the $700 phone from 5 years ago....but why is it still $700?
Has any manufacturer lowered prices in this way yet? This is an honest question.

Are you new to this conversation?

We're talking about the retail price.

And the fact that for everything else, prices have gone down over time even as power has improved.

A $500 TV today blows away a $5,000 TV from 10 years ago.
A $500 laptop today blows away a $1,500 laptop from 5 years ago

Yes, the $700 phone today blows away the $700 phone from 5 years ago....but why is it still $700?
But you can still get $5,000 TVs and $1,500 laptops. If you don't want the premium product then buy a $200 phone, it'll blow away the $700 phone from 5 years ago.

Having said that these are very very steep. If you are at all price sensitive I see very little argument against getting a Nexus.

Going to be fun seeing people create apps stealing peoples fingerprints. lol

Joking aside. It seems kind of useless. Did they announce any cool things they plan on using it with?

Bgamer90

Banned
BT0w3PuCEAAgHtX.png:large

kurbaan

Banned
Has any manufacturer lowered prices in this way yet? This is an honest question.

Yes Nexus line is very cheap, all of Nokia's phones are reasonably priced. Apple has a history of overpricing the unlocked phones. But gotta get that stock up somehow.

diehard

Fleer

Possibly because the manufacturing price of flagship phones has stayed approximatle the same?

Let's take your comparison to something like say a video game console.. or a CPU, or a GPU.

Yeah those have sure dropped a ton in price over the last several years, right?

codhand

Lmao thinking MP is all that matters. Idiotic.

idiotic is thinking apple doesnt allow sd card slots for "design integrity" and not wallet ransackery

$1,129 for 64gb, hell no, and i know mp arent everything, but if the shit was 30mp youd all be stoked as hell, so dont kid me

i realize apple has better build quality and better OS, but the price, and the straight, one drop, drippage of last year's features is sad

Ryck

Yes Nexus line is very cheap, all of Nokia's phones are reasonably priced. Apple has a history of overpricing the unlocked phones. But gotta get that stock up somehow.
Cool thanks for the info I am out of contract and am not at all interested in getting into a contract again.

Any recommendations on a good cheap unlocked phone? I looked up the Nexus but it is out of stock.

Thinking about upgrading...my iPhone 5 has been good enough, but I'm tempted anyway.

I like the way the 5C looks, by the way. I'll get one for my mom, eventually.

Random thought: are those sites that offer to unlock your iphone any legit? It just seems odd.

solarus

idiotic is thinking apple doesnt allow sd card slots for "design integrity" and not wallet ransackery

$1,129 for 64gb, hell no, and i know mp arent everything, but if the shit was 30mp youd all be stoked as hell, so dont kid me

i realize apple has better build quality and better OS, but the price, and straight one drop, drippage of last years features is sad

No, I only care about the quality of the photo taken so I'm really happy with the camera upgrade. Wait till you see it compared to the s4 and I bet you the photos are better. Now I agree with you about everything being overpriced as fuck, I love that the samsung phones have expandable memory.

solarus

Cool thanks for the info I am out of contract and am not at all interested in getting into a contract again.

Any recommendations on a good cheap unlocked phone? I looked up the Nexus but it is out of stock.

That's because the new nexus refresh is coming soon, wait for it.

Yoshiya

Both? It's not like the SD card experience on non-Nexus Android devices is anything but shit. The internal/slow external storage division is plainly bad for consistency of user experience. That said, Apple's $100 storage tiers are obviously just fat margins. Moving 16 to 32GB couldn't cost them a tenth of that at that scale.

PFD

So, a spec bump and a fingerprint scanner?

Not really blowing my socks off here, apple.

What exactly did you expect on the 'S' year? This is far more than what we got with the 4S.

Also, there's absolutely no mention of RAM amount on Apple's website or during the presentation. So I'm guessing this still has 1GB?

codhand

if i could get 16gb 5S with expandable memory for $600 i'd be curious,

but the price, plus the specs/feats, make it a no buy,

im not the type to measure MP's and i realize Nokia are promising 40mp or something absurd, it gets like suntan lotion at a certain point ie SPF 100!

cameras rely on other hardware/software factors for determining effectiveness/quality, but the specs are the specs,

again a higher MP on the iphone would not have raised any complaints.

HoodWinked

i think fingerprint scanner is pretty good addition they have this sorta stuff on laptops for quick login.

also looking at the component slide the button will still be a tactile button so you can ignore it completely if you want.

apple will never have external memory because it would cut down on their margins and apple isnt dumb they understand loss aversion so they know that the minute they add an external memory slot they would be forced to have one forever going forward.

Soybean

8 megapixels still for the camera? The Galaxy S4 has 12 megapixels. Why does Apple always gimp the camera? That's the feature i use the most when i whore myself on Facebook or Instagram.
I'm excited they're increasing the sensor size and thus improving low light performance. It shows committment to picture quality.

I'm sure this new flash is better, but in general, direct flash (i.e., not bouncing it off a ceiling or diffuser) sucks and I avoid it like the plague.

kurbaan

Banned

Well I'm a bit biased but Nokia 520 is 100 on amazon no contract or the T-mobile version is 124 no contract.

Its not high end as the nexus line though.

gimmmick

This will be a great upgrade from people coming from an 4s. My only complaint is that it is too similar to the iphone 5. Not from appearance point of view, but as it same screen res, same amount of ram, same battery, probably same performance from the camera as well.

The one true reason why I want an iphone right now is that apple supports their devices for the the two years you sign a contract. You can't get that with many android devices when it comes to software upgrades.

My question is, will the 1 gig of ram be strain for people that are trying to future proof their phone for the next 2 years?

same ram
same battery
same size
same res

same apple

think same.

B-b-but it has a SLR-LEVEL CAMERA!!!

This will be a great upgrade from people coming from an 4s. My only complaint is that it is too similar to the iphone 5. Not from appearance point of view, but as it same screen res, same amount of ram, same battery, probably same performance from the camera as well.

The one true reason why I want an iphone right now is that apple supports their devices for the the two years you sign a contract. You can't get that with many android devices when it comes to software upgrades.

My question is, will the 1 gig of ram be strain for people that are trying to future proof their phone for the next 2 years?

More than likely the iPhone 6 will sport 2 gb of ram while Android will have 4gb as standard. So yes. 1GB won't be enough for future proof.

pxleyes

Banned
same ram
same battery
same size
same res

same apple

think same.

I see you are enjoying trolling this thread, but do you really think you are adding anything meaningful here?

As a simple counterpoint:

-Better battery
-Better camera
-Better OS
-Better security (fingerprint scanner)
-Better colors
-Better LTE
-Better processor

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Still not enough to upgrade from my iPhone 4.

I see you are enjoying trolling this thread, but do you really think you are adding anything meaningful here?

As a simple counterpoint:

-Better battery
-Better camera
-Better OS
-Better security (fingerprint scanner)
-Better colors
-Better LTE
-Better processor

You can up upgrade to the new OS. And new LTE signal is only available in very limited areas.

Top Bottom