• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

ramyeon

You need a hug? Sorry that I'm not all that 101 about photography. Sheesh.
Not saying you have to be. But you were commenting on what I said as if I was stupid enough to not realise it was daytime ;)

If you took those same shots with a 4s or 5 you wouldn't get those same warm tones. That's what the new flash is designed to do.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I got the Apple leather case. It really is leather, and cuddles your iPhone like a bumper, but with back protection. It won't prevent dings from a fall onto concrete, but it will prevent scuffs and scratches as it goes around the front of the bezel too.

Enco

Attention UK people: simfree iPhone 5s can be ordered with delivery or store pickup tomorrow in Carphone Warehouse, but at a 40 pounds premium.

I'm just going to wait, it's already pricey.
Yea fuck that.

Already paying a shitload for it. Might as well get the 64GB instead of paying £40 extra for the 32GB....

Cromat

I've already accepted the fact that since I didn't order from Apple online yesterday, I'm probably not going to find one until mid-late October.

Vyer

Looking at it now, I like the color of the 'space gray'. Not completely black but dark enough that I like the combination.

rZLy9ex.jpg

Also saw the 5c at the AT&T store. I will admit it looks nicer in person that I expected.

ecurbj

Not saying you have to be. But you were commenting on what I said as if I was stupid enough to not realise it was daytime ;)

If you took those same shots with a 4s or 5 you wouldn't get those same warm tones. That's what the new flash is designed to do.
It's okay. Thanks for clarifying :)

I got the Apple leather case. It really is leather, and cuddles your iPhone like a bumper, but with back protection. It won't prevent dings from a fall onto concrete, but it will prevent scuffs and scratches as it goes around the front of the bezel too.
Which color you get?

Dishwalla

Banned
Got the second to last 16GB Space Grey one at my ATT store. Not my first choice, but I can live with it. Apparently the store only got one 32GB model, around a dozen 16GB models, and no 64GB models. And no gold ones for another month, ouch(not that I care too much, still don't like the gold one too much).

woober

Got a space gray 5S from an ATT store. Apparently got no whites, or golds. Kind of a weird experience, they wouldn't let me buy the phone full retail and forced me to use one of my family plan upgrades. I've never had this issue in the past in a Apple store and figured ATT would be the same.

Haven't really used the phone yet outside Touch ID unlocking, very cool. Coworker loves the burst mode on the camera.

What info did they need for your upgrade? Account number, ID, etc.?

Wanted Silver and I'm sticking by it. No need to stick with a color I don't want for 2+ years for sake of instant gratification. Not to mention apparently there aren't any 16GB models anywhere in town and the line at my store was easily going to be 2+ hours. aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif

krpiper

Got my email from Best Buy! 32gb Grey!

I forget, am I supposed to charge up the phone when I get it? or let it die first and then do a full charge

ChanHuk

Banned
I prefer the slate black over the space grey. But I'm happy, I downgraded from a 64 5 to 32 5S, I never used the space. Actually most my storage was used up by music which I could just convert to more storage friendly acc.

Magnus

How do I share slow mo videos with anyone? If shared via email, iMessage or even if just copied to my MacBook, it plays at Normal Speed.

wtf?

Please don't tell me this is working as intended. What the hell's the point if I can't share these videos at slow mo playback speed?

paparazzo

Lol, yes but this is a change from how it used to work. When I ordered the 4S I was able to change it at this stage despite it saying when the order was placed that it had to ship to my billing address.

You may have already figured this out by now, but you can change your delivery address by calling them. I had the same issue and they had no problem changing it to whatever I wanted.

Got a Black/Space Grey.

They were out of white silver/gold within minutes. It was nutso. AT&T was out of both those colors within 20 minutes of opening. Verizon was out within an hr.

Bought out of contract so I have a 30 day return policy for hopefully scoring a white/silver.

Was playing with the Apple Store app last night around 1215 last night and decided to test to see if I could order a 5s. Easily able to nearly cart an AT&T 64GB Silver but didn't go through with it.

I'll probably upgrade my phone after the PS4 comes out, as I can wait a bit longer. Plus, ios7 on my 4s makes it feel like a brand new phone so I think I can stay strong for a while.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Got a Black/Space Grey.

They were out of white silver/gold within minutes. It was nutso. AT&T was out of both those colors within 20 minutes of opening. Verizon was out within an hr.

Bought out of contract so I have a 30 day return policy for hopefully scoring a white/silver.

I read somewhere that apple just made far, far fewer silver/gold iphone 5S phones. I wonder if that's the reason for the limited supply rather than consumer demand.

Won't get here until 9/30 - 10/2, but was able to get a 64GB Gold model ordered before the date started slipping (picked up the beige case along with it).

For some reason I couldn't order the T-Mobile version on the Apple Store app, though. Had to wait till the online store came back up.

RDreamer

Fingerprint thing is interesting. I had to register a new finger for my same finger because it seemed to only capture the edge or something. So now if I go into that menu if I hold my finger one way it's finger one, and another way it's finger two.

ruxtpin

Banned
^^^
lol wut

Home with a new 64gb space-gray 5S. Loving the snappiness of iOS7. In the process of getting it all setup now. Gotta' load my crap-load of music in a bit.

Fury Sense

My Verizon store didn't get any gold. I got the last silver one and I was 15th in line. Showed up 10 minutes before the store opened and probably about 10 more people showed up after me.

My conversation:
Would you like the insurance?
-No thank you
Okay, just to let you know, you can return it in the first 14 days and just pay a $35 restocking fee
-O.K.
The manufacturer's warranty covers one year in case of defects. Just bring it in and Verizon will replace it for you at no cost whatsoever. I personally hate having to think about breaking or my phone and the replacement cost is $649 so it's a real benefit.
-That's great.
Okay, so the phone is $199 and the 2 year insurance is...
-Hold on! I said I don't want the insurance!

Then a different person finishes checkout cuz this dude had something better to do. She asks "where's your case?" I say I'd get one online, probably the Apple one. She says "Riiiiiight" with disbelief. I mean, sure I'm not gonna pay $40 bucks for a case, but I'm definitely not paying $20 either. They've got this weird, almost "shaming" vibe in the store like I should feel bad for not buying their accessories. Whatever; got in, got out.

subrock

They've got this weird, almost "shaming" vibe in the store like I should feel bad for not buying their accessories. Whatever; got in, got out.

Damn, I haaaaaate that shit. I turn into such a dick when they apply sale pressure like that. Reminds me of EBGames.

Mononoke

Banned
Ill just wait 4 months and get one then. Not in a rush. By then I should just be able to walk casually into my store and get one.

Shady859

Anyone who ordered from Verizon.com this morning showing anything other than in process? Mine shows as expected ship date 9/30 but the email and screen showed 9/24 ship date when I checked out at 3:30am. 32gb silver and new account started.

kms_md

I was able to change my shipping address with my apple.com order by changing my billing address with ATT (via the website) after my 5s order was placed. I then called the apple customer support number and had the rep manually change the shipping address.

Moozo

So, any news on whether this is any more resistant to little scratches and nicks than the 5? Especially round the chamfered edges

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Went into my local Verizon store an hour before opening and got in line for the 5S. There were about 8 people in front of me. When the employees came around to take everyone's order, they informed us that they had zero gold units in stock, only a few silver, and a bunch of space gray. I was interested in the space gray (64GB), so that was fine with me.

Haven't had much of a chance to play with the phone yet, but it's much snappier than my 4S. Loving the fingerprint unlock feature, too. It works perfectly.

potam

Banned
Just picked up 16gb grey at a Verizon store. Fucking ridiculous wait which was apparently being caused by everyone and their mother activating phones at once. And by ridiculous wait, I mean that there was still a line at noon and it took me ~45 minutes.

Luckily, I was able to convince them not to make me activate in store, so now I'm sitting at work waiting for people to start leaving so I can activate it and play with it.

Magnus

Just picked up 16gb grey at a Verizon store. Fucking ridiculous wait which was apparently being caused by everyone and their mother activating phones at once. And by ridiculous wait, I mean that there was still a line at noon and it took me ~45 minutes.

Luckily, I was able to convince them not to make me activate in store, so now I'm sitting at work waiting for people to start leaving so I can activate it and play with it.

All due respect, it's launch day. It's a Friday, going into a weekend. There'll be lines open to close every single day till Monday at most stores; ain't ridiculous, haha.

30-45 minutes is also a pretty normal phone upgrade/activation time in store...at least, at Rogers and Bell in Canada. =/

Top Bottom