• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Magnus

I'm scared as fuck to turn the fingerprint sensor on. Should I? Lol

WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THE PICTURES OF THE PHONE

So many GAFers disappoint me... take sexy pictures of it damn it.

I don't have an additional camera. Lol. And my old iPhone 4's obviously not working anymore with a connection. So how would I upload a photo from that? Hahaha

n64coder

yeah if you like actually putting apps, music and videos on your phone it's pretty tough.

What do you guys keep on your phones? I don't watch movies on my phone outside of netflix and HBO go and I find gaming on phones to be awful. 16gb is plenty for music and apps

I plan to get the 64GB because I do like plenty of room to carry my music. I probably should get in the habit of using playlists and periodically refreshing it with different music instead of relying on having everything there.

My problem is that we frequently go to VT because of family. Driving on Rt 89 through NH/VT, there are lots of places with no cell coverage because of the mountains.

For those folks who always stream, are you using it in the car? Does it work reliably? It would be nice if I could ditch my SiriusXM car subscription and just rely on Pandora/Spotify streaming.

Eh? Why do you need to devote all your time to buying a phone?

Order online and wait. Sorted.

I plan to go to NH next week to get the phone from the Apple store or a Walmart so I can save $100 (2 phones) on sales tax.

giga

I don't have an additional camera. Lol. And my old iPhone 4's obviously not working anymore with a connection. So how would I upload a photo from that? Hahaha
Wifi..

ElNino

I've been calling a few Rogers locations around the city, and I'm getting all sorts of answers.

"Only X and Y locations have them."

"No one has them."

"The X location probably have it."

"The Y location doesn't, but the Z location might."

I'm tempted to just place a reservation at the closest store here, but that's an extra $40.
Rogers reservations credit the $40 back on your account when you pick up the phone in store or cancel the reservation, so it isn't extra.

Oppo

Um, it'll still work. It's basically an iPod Touch without a SIM.

You could just take a pic and then, y'know, dump it through Image Capture or w/e.

Quick

Banned
Rogers reservations credit the $40 back on your account when you pick up the phone in store or cancel the reservation, so it isn't extra.

Oh shit. I didn't see that anywhere on the website. I might just do this then.

Edit: Done. Reserved.

Magnus

Holy shit at LTE. So fucking fast.

Wifi where? The apple store? Rofl. It's slow
As mud with all the people in there. I tried.

Um, it'll still work. It's basically an iPod Touch without a SIM.

You could just take a pic and then, y'know, dump it through Image Capture or w/e.

I'm not at home and don't have a laptop with me.

Why do people want my pics anyway? Lol. You all know what the device looks like.

Appleman

Dude. Thank you. Just got to Yorkdale and they seemed to have plenty, looks like I'm in luck unless they hassle me for not being the primary account holder

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Lo-Volt

I was going to give the 5s lines the old college try, but the early upgrade fee option disappeared from Sprint? Or at least it did for me. Do knowledgeable Sprint customers know if the new One Up installment scheme has replaced the early-upgrade-fee-to-extend-my-contract option?

(Edit: the answer is yes. Back to your regularly scheduled iPhone 5s madness programming on NeoGAF!)

ElNino

From the Rogers site:

The $40 reservation fee (+ taxes) is used to secure your order and place in line. We will credit the $40 (+ taxes) back to your Rogers account if you reserved as an existing customer, or to the original credit card if you reserved to activate a new line. Your fee will be credited under the following situations:

1) when your device ships from our warehouse or
2) when you cancel your reservation online.

We will send you an email notification when your device ships including the courier company tracking number that will be used to ship the device to the store.

Magnus

Dude. Thank you. Just got to Yorkdale and they seemed to have plenty, looks like I'm in luck unless they hassle me for not being the primary account holder

Sweet!

Though yeah, the manager was asking everyone in line if they were the primary account holder or if they had the appropriate permissions to perform upgrades. Asking everyone for photo ID.

Good luck!

Appleman

Sweet!

Though yeah, the manager was asking everyone in line if they were the primary account holder or if they had the appropriate permissions to perform upgrades. Asking everyone for photo ID.

Good luck!

I think I have permission, my name is on the account and I have the account PIN, I'm telling them it worked last year so we'll see

Quick

Banned
From the Rogers site:

Thanks.

I'm at around 180 on the waitlist right now. I hope that's not too far down. I think I'll cancel it if it takes more than a week or two.

Edit: I called back one of the stores that initially didn't pick up, and they had a LOT, but they were all on reserve. DAMN.

Taigor

Neo Member
Anyone know if it is possible to cancel an online order through Verizon? When I check my order status, it only says that it is in process and expected to ship 09/24.

Ordered mine at bestbuy.com around 5AM for in-store pickup, just got the e-mail that my order is ready for pickup!

64GB Grey.

I'm in shock that Best Buy actually came through.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Best buy came through. Dat online preorder for in store pickup got confirmation this morning.

Based Best Buy.

I need to get out of this thread before running to the nearest Verizon store

;_____;

The 4s is good enough...the 4s is good enough...the 4s is good enough...

mackaveli

Any Canadians that use Rogers here?

I have a quick question. I believe I can upgrade after my contract ends in December. I go to myrogers.com and it charges me $80 for early cancellation if I upgrade now. That $80 will go away in December when my contract ends?

Can I get the $80 waived by upgrading early by talking to them?

I really want a iPhone 5S (Currently on the 4 only) but I don't want to pay $80 if I have to wait 3 months and that fee will be waived.

mf.luder

Just stopped at the Burlington Apple Store in Ontario and the line was long. I just want to play with it.

My contract is up October 15th so I might cancel my preorder and just wait a little since the ship date and my xontract day almost line up.

Nasser

quick question, How's the delivery from Apple.store? Do I have to sign? or Will they leave it in the mailbox? I need to make sure which one is because I don't want them to leave it by the door.

Deku Tree

quick question, How's the delivery from Apple.store? Do I have to sign? or Will they leave it in the mailbox? I need to make sure which one is because I don't want them to leave it by the door.

I don't think they will leave an iPhone at your door, unless you live in some low population rural area.

J-Rod

My wife went to the sprint store at opening this morning. It's the only one in a 50 mile radius. They only had grey S's and only the 32G variety. Zero silvers or gold in any capacity. o_O

Brussels

Edit: Done. Reserved.

I'm tempted to do this online too, to avoid people. Does it give you any indication with Rogers as to how long it will take for the phone to arrive? I am totally ok waiting a week.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't think they will leave an iPhone at your door, unless you live in some low population rural area.

You can pre-sign according to Apple's shipping policy. I'll be doing that because my wife and I both work 8-5 or so. Neither of us are home during package delivery time. I don't know how it works in terms of where they leave it, though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Are there any 3rd party Lightning to 30-Pin Adapters that will work with an ihome?

33 dollars for the cable from apple. :-/

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Only Space Gray here at Best Buy 23rd but they seem to have a bunch and almost no line. People needing one day one, this may be your best bet.

potam

Banned
So it's almost 10am on the east coast, are lines starting to dwindle down?

How are supplies looking at carriers/Apple stores? I need reports from the front lines!

aparisi2274

So it's almost 10am on the east coast, are lines starting to dwindle down?

How are supplies looking at carriers/Apple stores? I need reports from the front lines!

According to the online Apple Store, the Silver and Space Gray are 7-10 days with the gold being sometime in Oct... I am pretty sure those are good indications at how it will be at the store level, since most Apple stores have been open since 8am, and the Flagship store in NYC had a line outside it for two weeks.

I got up at 3am and just ordered it online and then went back to bed.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Haha the slo mo video thing is kind of cool. I can't imagine using it often at all and will wait for Instagram to support the videos, but recording akiba trains going full speed then slo mo is kind of neat.

Cheech

My wife went to the sprint store at opening this morning. It's the only one in a 50 mile radius. They only had grey S's and only the 32G variety. Zero silvers or gold in any capacity. o_O

Yeah, my wife had a similar experience. Her Sprint store only had grey 16 gig phones.

Two years ago she settled for a black phone to get her 4S, and this time she said she'll wait however long is necessary to get white (well, silver).

Last time though, she was coming back to iPhone from her work Blackberry which she'd had for two years (after formerly having an OG iPhone), so she was much more pressed than this time around. Heh.

Got a space gray 5S from an ATT store. Apparently got no whites, or golds. Kind of a weird experience, they wouldn't let me buy the phone full retail and forced me to use one of my family plan upgrades. I've never had this issue in the past in a Apple store and figured ATT would be the same.

Haven't really used the phone yet outside Touch ID unlocking, very cool. Coworker loves the burst mode on the camera.

Top Bottom