• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Flo_Evans

Either the battery on this thing is ass or it's iOS 7's fault. I have brightness down, LTE/wifi/Location off, and I'm down 20% in 40 minutes.

I mean, all I'm doing is texting and browsing here. Wtf.

The meter is not calibrated yet. Needs a full charge and drain to be accurate.

subrock

I totally forgot that you can't get push Gmail (without paying) through the native Mail app anymore. Oh well. I installed the Gmail app and it seems to push just fine. It also works a hell of a lot better than I remember when it first came out.

yeah, this annoyed me when I got my phone replaced. Is there some way to pay and reeenable push through the mail app?

ShowDog

Either the battery on this thing is ass or it's iOS 7's fault. I have brightness down, LTE/wifi/Location off, and I'm down 20% in 40 minutes.

I mean, all I'm doing is texting and browsing here. Wtf.

LTE is actually more efficient than 3G so you'd best turn that back on. Every browsing battery benchmark I've seen LTE lasts about 1-2 hours longer.

mrkgoo

So my understanding is that Touch ID actually allows you to skip the Slide To Unlock, right? I mean that's unnecessary now, right?

If so, that's a much bigger revelation than skipping pass code. It's a different, but effective way to solve that problem, seeing as it was about preventing accidental unlocks on a pocket.

So you unlock your phone by simply sticking your finger on the sensor? That is, never having to press any buttons at all? Or do you gave to click first to bring up the lock screen and then scan?

Flo_Evans

So my understanding is that Touch ID actually allows you to skip the Slide To Unlock, right? I mean that's unnecessary now, right?

If so, that's a much bigger revelation than skipping pass code. It's a different, but effective way to solve that problem, seeing as it was about preventing accidental unlocks on a pocket.

So you unlock your phone by simply sticking your finger on the sensor? That is, never having to press any buttons at all? Or do you gave to click first to bring up the lock screen and then scan?

If it's locked you have to click the home button to wake it up.

Eusis

The people lining up to buy iPhones on launch day just aren't the people who are going to buy the 5c, doesn't mean they won't sell. People like cheaper stuff.
And prior models DID continue to sell for a long time. If nothing else it'll probably be a fairly popular Christmas gift.

Magnus

Restart the phone. If that doesn't work, try restoring it. I think this is some kind of bug. It happened to me a couple of times during beta, but never again.

Will try!

The meter is not calibrated yet. Needs a full charge and drain to be accurate.

Noted!

LTE is actually more efficient than 3G so you'd best turn that back on. Every browsing battery benchmark I've seen LTE lasts about 1-2 hours longer.

Oh wow. Really? It never serves to disable it? Good to know!

Gotchaye

Got the 16GB gray one I wanted from Best Buy. Still not a huge fan of the two-color back, but it's otherwise very nice.

I'm realizing that I should be upgrading basically every year given that my parents are never going to use their upgrades and they're fungible; this ended up only costing $100 total after trading in my old phone.

Appleman

Definitely not used to not being able to swipe at my notifications, just doing home button unlocks is going to take some mental training after years of sliding

Vyer

I totally forgot that you can't get push Gmail (without paying) through the native Mail app anymore. Oh well. I installed the Gmail app and it seems to push just fine. It also works a hell of a lot better than I remember when it first came out.

What's odd is I thought that activesync deadline was actually extended - I readded it to my iPhone 5 just a week ago - but it seems not to work on the new 5s.

Got the 16GB gray one I wanted from Best Buy. Still not a huge fan of the two-color back, but it's otherwise very nice.

I'm realizing that I should be upgrading basically every year given that my parents are never going to use their upgrades and they're fungible; this ended up only costing $100 total after trading in my old phone.

What was your old phone?

potam

Banned
yeah, this annoyed me when I got my phone replaced. Is there some way to pay and reeenable push through the mail app?

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/89468

I've been doing this for the past couple of days, and it seems to work all right.

I'd love to see some non marketing shots of what the texture/finish looks like on the leather cases.

anandtech said it got scuffy after a week.

attachment.php

i think it would actually look ok.... but on different color.

btkadams

huh? why can't you? i added gmail as an exchange account and it pushes.

kingocfs

3 hours at Best Buy (with a power outage) standing behind a dude who looked like James Murphy but they hooked me up. Thing is a beaut.

One downside to grabbing it from a store: having to watch someone else open it and turn it on. :-(

So no one at my local Target this morning to sell them. My brother goes back later in the day only to find out that they never got any and don't know when they will. Pretty peeved.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
An iphone 4. They gave me $140 for it so I ended up paying about $70 for the 5s plus I'll have to pay that $36 AT&T upgrade fee.
Since i did online preorder I got hosed and couldn't use my phone for trade in credit. However, I will be listing on craigslist until the 14th of october. If nothing happens I will send it off to gazelle for 155. Already got the box from them.
Amazon gives you $300 for a "good" condition 5.
Buy a 32 gig 5s basically for free.
Except if you have a 2 year you won't benefit from resigning. So you will have to pay full price.

potam

Banned
Why has no one looked at the link I posted? There's a workaround to pretty much seamlessly get gmail pushed.

There is a solution here that will allow that to work, you just need to have the Gmail account setup on the iPhone as well.

Go to Gmail web interface, then to Settings -> Forward Account and add your iCloud email to forward all your emails to. I also chose to mark emails forwarded to read, since I don't use the web interface much.

Setup Gmail on your iPhone like you normally would (skip if it's already on there). But under Settings, do not have it sync emails.

Setup your iCloud account to send using your Gmail address.

Setting -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> iCloud -> Account -> Advanced Mail -> outgoing mail server -> TURN iCloud SMTP server OFF and turn other SMTP servers on, choosing your smtp.gmail.com settings associated to the appropriate gmail account. HIT DONE.
A few things about this setup... When you go to reply to a message, it will show as if it's sending from your iCloud account, it does not. It is just using the settings you just set that are associated with the iCloud account.

This only works if you don't really use your iCloud account and you only need to reply via one Gmail account. I had several Gmail accounts, but only respond from one, so this is not a big issue for me.

Gotchaye

Since i did online preorder I got hosed and couldn't use my phone for trade in credit. However, I will be listing on craigslist until the 14th of october. If nothing happens I will send it off to gazelle for 155. Already got the box from them.

I had ordered online from Best Buy too, but the guy was willing to cancel that order and ring it up as an in-store one such that I could use the gift card they gave me for my old phone.

RDreamer

Man this thing is like amazingly fast. I know people say that your phones slow down after a while, and then when you upgrade it's just back up to speed with what it should be... but man my 4 was never this fast brand new. Not even close. Shit's crazy.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I had ordered online from Best Buy too, but the guy was willing to cancel that order and ring it up as an in-store one such that I could use the gift card they gave me for my old phone.
I was told that it would not work unless i waited 72 hours after cancelling my order. This is frustrating. They could have done it and they didn't. I will call corporate later and see if anything can be done.

LCfiner

Man this thing is like amazingly fast. I know people say that your phones slow down after a while, and then when you upgrade it's just back up to speed with what it should be... but man my 4 was never this fast brand new. Not even close. Shit's crazy.

that’s what happens when you double speed each year for three years. 5S should be 8 times faster than the 4…

Apple’s speed bumps between the original iphone and the iphone 4 weren’t so many. But they’ve been doubling speed every year for 3 models now.

Red Comet

Walked into my Verizon store and came out with a 32 GB Space Grey 5S. Can't believe it! I'll post some thoughts when I get home later.

Ellasman

I'm on my parents plan and they don't want to sign an extension so I can't get it. Well I could but I don't want to pay $700+ to get it without a contract. Feeling so jealous seeing all of these people with their new iPhone.

Ended up ordering mine over the phone through Verizon, because I got a 5 a week before the massive "New iPhone to be Announced Sept 10!!!" rumors and I returned it, only for the douche at the Verizon store to apparently not report it as "returned", making me ineligible for an upgrade because already "got" an upgrade that I didn't even have.

I should have mine "no later" than Oct 7, in the color I wanted. Wish I had it sooner but I can live by with my cracked-ass 4 for another ~2 weeks.

Phreaker

Push works on my 5 for sure, even after completely wiping and restoring it for iOS 7, but I can't remember when they discontinued active sync support.

It wont when you are done with that phone.

It works on my 5 now (with gmail set up as Exchange) but it wont work for anyone trying to do it now or if you get a new phone.

Flo_Evans

From my messing around with a 5 & a 5s side by side, iOS7 is not even making this thing break a sweat. Can't wait till we see some apps made with it in mind.

It wont when you are done with that phone.

It works on my 5 now (with gmail set up as Exchange) but it wont work for anyone trying to do it now or if you get a new phone.

So it's tied to the device even if you wipe it and restore? If I bought a 5S, restored it from my iCloud backup, push through exchange wouldn't work because it's a new device?

Top Bottom