• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

damisa

I went to the flagship manhattan store during my break. There was a zigzag queue with a few hundred people right in front of the store, and a long line with hundreds more that stretched all along the block on the side of the store and along the block on the opposite side of the store. There were probably over a thousand people. It was crazy.

I went to the flagship manhattan store during my break. There was a zigzag queue with a few hundred people right in front of the store, and a long line with hundreds more that stretched all along the block on the side of the store and along the block on the opposite side of the store. There were probably over a thousand people. It was crazy.

I saw the pictures of this on TechCrunch. Good god. I can understand getting hype for stuff (I was this way with the Pre and the S3) but oh man!

Also P.S stop breaking GAF Apple-GAF, I know it was you~! :p

potam

Banned
All due respect, it's launch day. It's a Friday, going into a weekend. There'll be lines open to close every single day till Monday at most stores; ain't ridiculous, haha.

30-45 minutes is also a pretty normal phone upgrade/activation time in store...at least, at Rogers and Bell in Canada. =/

I know, it's just that the store was right down the street pretty much of my office. I was just paranoid that my boss would drive by and see me and just do a drive by firing, so every minute crept by.

edit: And I thought it was surprising that there was still a wait at noon, after 4 hours of sales. I felt bad for the poor souls who went there just doing standard account stuff, not knowing what day it was. There was some girl with two kids who was just trying to swap numbers...I thought about telling her she could do it online, but I'd feel bad if she left and couldn't figure it out.

Chucker

Rolled out of bed at 6:45 just to see what lines would be like before work. Rounded the corner of the Annapolis Mall to see the Apple Store with what looked to be over 200 deep for an 8AM Opening at 7:30. Told myself "Oh Well", and drove to a gas station to get a drink. Saw a few people outside of Best Buy, asked if they were waiting for the 5S and when they were opening.

Popped out of my car, was 4th in line, and was on the way to work by 8:20 with a brand new ATT Space Grey 32gb 5s. Talked to the BB Employees and they said they only got Space Grey (which was fine for me, it's what I wanted), 3 of each size for each of the 4 carriers.

Woke up at 3AM to order mine online, got it done within 5 minutes via the Apple Store iOS app. I got the 32GB silver model (AT&T). My original plan was to go to Best Buy / AT&T store this morning at 10AM but I didn't want to risk not getting the model I wanted due to short supply. Turns out I was right as everybody is saying only the space gray model is available at many non-Apple retail stores. It ships in 1-3 days and I should have it between Sept 30 and Oct 2. The wait is going to be awful.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Grabbed my space gray iphone from bestbuy with online ordering and in store pickup. No line. Swung by the apple store to get applecare+. There was a line about 50 people deep.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
ib1esV9X9cibR3.gif

potam

Banned
Space grey sounds stupid but looks great, actually.

Yeah, dumb fucking name. I was afraid I wouldn't like it as much as the old gray, but it looks great in person.

Not gonna lie though, I was gonna grab a gold if they had it in stock...you know, just in case.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Grabbed a 16g Space Grey at BB today, waited 10mins or so, last one they had.

They even took my $50 GC I'd reserved forever ago right off the top.

$149.99 out the door. Sweet.

Appleman

All due respect, it's launch day. It's a Friday, going into a weekend. There'll be lines open to close every single day till Monday at most stores; ain't ridiculous, haha.

30-45 minutes is also a pretty normal phone upgrade/activation time in store...at least, at Rogers and Bell in Canada. =/

Hey man, just wanted thank you again for the Yorkdale heads-up, ended up walking outta there with the 32GB Space Grey phone pretty quickly with no issues at all.

Cheers dude!

EDIT: Just figured out to get promo codes for my iOS 7 app that just launched today, I'll PM you one :)
Anyone can check it out at http://www.amadio.ca the App Store link should be working now

MThanded

Seems like icloud restore is bugged. It's asking me for a password of an old apple id unrelated to my icloud of backups.
Even after I put in the apple id i always use. I never had this problem.

Not sure what to do.

This is very frustrating.

MThanded

I just hit skip this step 3 times and it seemed to work. Must have some content that didn't come from my account.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Seems like icloud restore is bugged. It's asking me for a password of an old apple id unrelated to my icloud of backups.
Even after I put in the apple id i always use. I never had this problem.

Not sure what to do.

This is very frustrating.

Was it your Apple ID but without the email part? Aka. the old style (pre-iOS4 email requirement on Apple IDs). This is usually for apps you downloaded ages ago (on that old ID type), you can see them in iTunes by looking at an app's metadata (it would say Apple ID: "blabla" instead of "blabla@email.com"). You should be able to just skip it and it'll still install your apps based on your current Apple ID.
Had it happen during the Beta a few times.

Magnus

Hey man, just wanted thank you again for the Yorkdale heads-up, ended up walking outta there with the 32GB Space Grey phone pretty quickly with no issues at all.

Cheers dude!

EDIT: Just figured out to get promo codes for my iOS 7 app that just launched today, I'll PM you one :)
Anyone can check it out at http://www.amadio.ca the App Store link should be working now

Awesome, you're welcome! Very glad you nabbed one.

And how generous of you; thanks dude!

nikos

I have to accept a ridiculous offer I got for my 5S.

Trying to find another 64gb AT&T 5S anywhere in NYC. Any leads? I'll even pay for a reservation ticket. :eek:

subrock

Man, this waiting sucks. I thought ordering from Apple and paying top dollar would give me some sort of priority. It'll be close to 3 weeks before I get my hands on one.

Bkey

Banned
Went to Best Buy for lunch to trade in Madden. There was a line(35 or so)...and I don't think it moved once in the time I was there.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Verge review. Gold looks nice.

I'm glad I went with the gold but now T-Mobile is saying I'm on backorder. Delivery date still says 9/27 though.
Looks so goood. I look forward to getting mine next June when Virgin starts selling them. (Why is it always 9 months after release? Is there some contract Sprint has that prevents them from coming over to the Virgin side so soon? Fuck that shit! I want my Virgin iPhone the same year normal people get them!) Until then, my 4S works great... no fingerprint sensor or longer screen. But good enough. :p

My anecdotal evidence. No one wants a 5c lol
I do. But not at those prices. I'd forego the fingerprint feature if this were sold as the "prepaid iPhone" and had a price comparable to other high end smartphones on prepaid plans. Virgin's most expensive Android (Samsung Galaxy S III) is $340. ($400 off sale) I can see Virgin and other prepaid companies that sell iPhone's getting the 5C too, but if they're going to have the 5S as well, then why bother?

Chucker

Space Grey with Black case is sex.

I bought a black incase slider case (since it's what I've been using since I had a 3GS)for my Space Jam, but for whatever reason I don't like it on the 5S. I'm gonna check the Apple Store tonight so I can get the feels of the black official case.

ShowDog

look at the apple site, they're still at 1-3 business days. They were useless as they don't fit any niche.

5C isn't going to do much during the launch but I'll bet by this time next year it will have handily outsold the 5S. Its just not a "wait in line" product.

Personally I bought a gold and silver 5S, one for myself and one for the wife. I could see my sisters buying 5Cs in a few weeks though to replace the ancient 4

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I totally forgot that you can't get push Gmail (without paying) through the native Mail app anymore. Oh well. I installed the Gmail app and it seems to push just fine. It also works a hell of a lot better than I remember when it first came out.

Magnus

Either the battery on this thing is ass or it's iOS 7's fault. I have brightness down, LTE/wifi/Location off, and I'm down 20% in 40 minutes.

I mean, all I'm doing is texting and browsing here. Wtf.

nikos

Either the battery on this thing is ass or it's iOS 7's fault. I have brightness down, LTE/wifi/Location off, and I'm down 20% in 40 minutes.

I mean, all I'm doing is texting and browsing here. Wtf.

Restart the phone. If that doesn't work, try restoring it. I think this is some kind of bug. It happened to me a couple of times during beta, but never again.

Top Bottom