• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Espresso

Banned
I just have one question. How is the camera compared to the other high end smart phones? Looking to make an upgrade soon and of course the 5S is in the running.
The camera is fantastic. It's a marked improvement in low light situations, especially.

I can't wait for mine to ship.... in like 3 weeks. :(

oT0HxIU.gif

Gotchaye

Anybody going case-less?

I didn't have a case for my older 4S (got it replaced due to a defect), and aside from a not-too-noticeable scratch on the band, it looked pretty good. The only protection I had for it was a screen protector, and that's what I currently have on my newer 4S.

Yes, I haven't used a case for maybe four years now. I don't like the added bulk and many of them make the phone harder to use. I understand getting one if you're buying off-contract, but at $200 per phone I find it hard to justify accessories that make the phone less fun to use in order to gain a small amount of durability. That kind of money is still self-insurable.

I just have one question. How is the camera compared to the other high end smart phones? Looking to make an upgrade soon and of course the 5S is in the running.

The 5 was great, my new 5s has a noticeably clearer image, it also seems to do whitebalance better and faster

Sprint third rate. That's terrible. Got mine from best buy this morning. No line.

If you want a sprint 5s go to the apple store or best buy.

Problem is the Best Buy price. I picked mine up tonight, and they didn't want to price match freaking Apple, Walmart, Target, etc.

The advice the customer service rep at corporate gave me is to order the phone and return it to Best Buy in 14 days.

I'm going to see if the local Apple store has the Sprint 16GB tomorrow. If not, I'm just going to create a back up of the 5S and return it in a week.

Also, the official Red Leather case feels cheap and doesn't feel like it gives the same amount of protection as my Spigen. I'm surprised that it doesn't have that leather feel but costs $40.

Anyone happen to know when Apple stores generally get new shipments of products? Not sure if I should check as much as possible or maybe in like a week.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. A very good low-light camera is a must. I don't want to drag around a DLSR or even a small compact camera when I go out.

Now I'm just wondering if T-mobile carries them, I see nothing mentioned. I know they will have the 5c but nothing's been said about the s.

Fury Sense

Is there a support group for people who don't want to use a case? This is my first iPhone, and as much as I don't want to learn the hard way, I don't want to get a case for this thing.

Is there a support group for people who don't want to use a case? This is my first iPhone, and as much as I don't want to learn the hard way, I don't want to get a case for this thing.

You don't need a case as long as you're not a clumsy oaf who drops his shit every day

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Problem is the Best Buy price. I picked mine up tonight, and they didn't want to price match freaking Apple, Walmart, Target, etc.

The advice the customer service rep at corporate gave me is to order the phone and return it to Best Buy in 14 days.

I'm going to see if the local Apple store has the Sprint 16GB tomorrow. If not, I'm just going to create a back up of the 5S and return it in a week.

Also, the official Red Leather case feels cheap and doesn't feel like it gives the same amount of protection as my Spigen. I'm surprised that it doesn't have that leather feel but costs $40.

I don't understand. What price are you trying to get? It's 199,299 or 399 unless you are at walmart.

Also do places price match on phones?

I've dropped the shit out of my iPhone 4 (which had a glass back) and besides a few scratches it's still perfectly fine to this day.

Flo_Evans

Generally speaking the only people I know with shattered iPhones are alcoholics.

MThanded

I've dropped the shit out of my iPhone 4 (which had a glass back) and besides a few scratches it's still perfectly fine to this day.
I couldn't use the phone if it had a dent or a scratch without being obsessed with it. When I was a kid I was extremely anal about scratches on my gameboy screen. I gotta have a case.

I don't use screen protectors. My 4s never got a scratch on the screen for 2 years without one.

I need to get a clear case for the 5s.

I couldn't use the phone if it had a dent or a scratch without being obsessed with it. When I was a kid I was extremely anal about scratches on my gameboy screen. I gotta have a case.

I don't use screen protectors. My 4s never got a scratch on the screen for 2 years without one.

I need to get a clear case for the 5s.

The most visible scratch is on the back near the bottom, and you have to look at it under light to see it. It bothers me a little bit but not enough to cause issue for me.

Never had a case or screen protection on my 4 in almost 3 years of use... dropped it enough and never cracked it. Hardly any visible scratches when the smudge is cleaned off... I was very happy with the durability personally. However, my camera lens was scratched beyond belief towards the end of its life, which was today. Camera was shot. Ordered one of the Apple leather cases with my 5s, hoping its nice quality since it's first party accessory.

I don't understand. What price are you trying to get? It's 199,299 or 399 unless you are at walmart.

Also do places price match on phones?

I bought the phone off contract, so it was $50 more than the off-contract price at the Apple Store, Target, Walmart, etc.

Others have echoed that sentiment.

Tabris

Anyone else noticed that their phone gets hot and battery drains pretty quick when downloading all songs of iTunes match? I'm hoping that's the case (just crazy CPU usage processing and downloading 10GB's of songs at once), otherwise my phone has a battery seating issue.

Fury Sense

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll go without a case until something bad happens :D Worst situation, my friend does screen replacements.
However, my camera lens was scratched beyond belief towards the end of its life, which was today. Camera was shot.
The 5S has a sapphire crystal camera lens cover btw. I don't think any case could decrease the risk of scratching it without actually covering it up.

LCfiner

Anyone else noticed that their phone gets hot and battery drains pretty quick when downloading all songs of iTunes match? I'm hoping that's the case (just crazy CPU usage processing and downloading 10GB's of songs at once), otherwise my phone has a battery seating issue.

yeah, I have this. if I download a big cache of songs, it heats up when downloading them all and battery drains super fast.

Tabris

yeah, I have this. if I download a big cache of songs, it heats up when downloading them all and battery drains super fast.

PHEW! True test will be after the rest of the songs are done. I'm at 507 songs left.

I was super worried as all iPhone 5S's are sold out in Vancouver. It's a bit crazy Apple store doesn't keep a couple to the side incase people have any defective units.

I stopped using a case on my 4S last year and I don't miss it. The iPhone is so nice looking and 90% of the cases available just detract from the sleekness and make it look like garbage. I don't think they offer much protection from anything other minor cosmetic damage unless you get something insane looking like an Otterbox.

I'm going to use the Apple case with my 5S and see how it goes, but I'll probably revert to having a naked phone once the novelty wears off.

NIGHT-

Sold my 4S last night for $250. I'm using a dumb phone while waiting for my 5S and the wait is already horrible.. Work went by so slow lol

MThanded

I bought the phone off contract, so it was $50 more than the off-contract price at the Apple Store, Target, Walmart, etc.

Others have echoed that sentiment.
Ah!!!!

I keep forgetting about that. I have never bought a new phone off contract. Only a used one. I understand now. Sorry.
Sold my 4S last night for $250. I'm using a dumb phone while waiting for my 5S and the wait is already horrible.. Work went by so slow lol
Craigslist or Ebay?

Appleman

PHEW! True test will be after the rest of the songs are done. I'm at 507 songs left.

I was super worried as all iPhone 5S's are sold out in Vancouver. It's a bit crazy Apple store doesn't keep a couple to the side incase people have any defective units.

I'm pretty sure they do have stock for returns and such, people with iPhone 5 problems could get immediate replacements at launch

Vyer

I've done both. And I've dropped phones or seen other people drop phones that manage to do some damage. I don't have the desire to waste the time, money and/or both involved in dealing with a damaged phone. I'd rather use a case to at least improve my chances of preventing damage. But I don't have a problem with people going caseless as I understand the appeal.

Blue Apple leather case + Silver 5S.

For anyone wondering how this combination looked.

That's nice.

I went black - uh, grey - this time and I like it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the white front of (now my wife's) iPhone 5.

Glip_Glop

I managed to snag a 16GB gold, I really hope I don't regret the color. It was a toss up between that or the grey/black. Now I just have to wait for a week or 2 to receive it.

NIGHT-

I'm not sure if I want the apple case or a otterbox.. I work in a plant and really don't wanna risk damaging my phone, but it looks so sexy out of a case

tsumineko

How is the case?

I really like it, but I don't think the leather will be very rugged, we'll see. The case will definitely protect the phone though, I can't even figure out how to get the phone out of the case lol. So no chance of it popping out when dropped I think.

It definitely feels like an expensive case. I'm surprised Apple released a real leather case at this price, I would have thought they would be more expensive.

vgJames

Banned
Slept in and ordered it from Apple directly this morning and was told my dispatch would be 'October' depressingly. Hopefully they'll surprise everyone and meet demand early than they expect.

MightyKAC

Just picked up my black 5s and I've been dying to find a charger case like the one dexim made for the 4's.

DeximSuperchargedLeatherPOwercase_iPhone4_270x165.png

Any suggestions for a reasonable substitute?

Tabris

BTW, the battery draining and heat quickly disappeared once it started hitting 400 and less songs to download. iTunes match must have been maxing out the CPU.

tsumineko

Looks nice. I have a white 5 and I'm really torn between the blue case and brown case.

When I was buying the case at the Apple store, I was tossing up between Blue and Black. The guy said I had 2 weeks to bring it back if I didn't like it, so you can try one out for a bit and if you don't like it, swap it over.

Top Bottom