• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Vyer

I think there's a bug with Touch ID and App Store purchases. I've had to enter in my password to 'renew' touch id passwords a few times when buying an app. Not a big deal every once and a while but it's been happening way too often. Defeats the purpose. Hopefully that gets squashed soon. Unless there's a setting I missed....

As a follow up to this, I went into Fingerprint settings and turned App Store off and on. It seems to have solved the problem, so we'll see how it goes.

Is anyone else having problems with the fingerprint scanner? It is completely inconsistent for me. Sometimes I can't get it work at all, sometimes it takes 2-3 tries, and very rarely it works completely seamlessly as it was presented in the apple keynote. I even tried to record the same finger multiple times to try to improve accuracy but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Other than what I mentioned above, I haven't had any issues. So far it's been very responsive.

I'm hoping my status updates again soon soon. I'm afraid my credit card company screwed it up. I got a call this morning from the fraud protection department asking it I made the charge and I informed them that I did and to let the charge go through.

Yesterday, Verizon's site said..
Order Status: In Process
Expected Ship Date: 09/24/13

Verizon's site is now saying...
Order Status: We received your order and it is in process. Payment not taken yet.
Expected Ship Date: Not available at this time.

That sucks. My bank also texted me to confirm the charge and I did, and it seems to have gone through fine. What they decide to flag always seems really arbitrary to me.

Appleman

Aren't the iLife and iWork apps supposed to be free? They all still show up as $4.99- $9.99 for me on the App Store.

They were free for me when I logged in on my restored-from-old-backup 5S... Not sure how they detect it though

Quick edit: just talking Pages/Keynote/Numbers

Juice

All right I am so glad I took a chance and drove into the apple store today. This thing is SO FAST. Love it

Camera's photos are fucking gorgeous compared to my 5's.

Fingerprint scanner makes unlocking so much less frictious

Do you have WiFi at home and work? I gave up my unlimited end of last year but since I have access to WiFi most places I use my phone, most months I don't even use a gb of data. I would classify myself as a medium to at times heavy user.
Yea, I've got wifi at home. Only thing I really do outside is surf the web.
I gave mine up to get the 5S. I didn't want to, but it's obvious Verizon is doing whatever they can to get people off of unlimited data and I'm tired of jumping through hoops to keep it. I opted for 4GB a month, which is what several friends recommended as the sweet spot. I don't really stream movies or tether other devices, so I don't think it'll matter much.

On that note, Verizon just charged my credit card for the phone and my order status has changed saying the phone will ship by Monday. Anyone who ordered from Verizon at midnight, check your status! I'm hoping I get it by Wednesday.

If I upgrade through the verizon edge thing they'll give me 6gb a month at $30 since I'm grandfathered for unlimited data. But heres the thing I'm still paying full retail with the edge plan and I lose my unlimited data, I could just put the phone on a no interest card and pay full retail in installments and keep my data.

Husker86

Yea, I've got wifi at home. Only thing I really do outside is surf the web.

If I upgrade through the verizon edge thing they'll give me 6gb a month at $30 since I'm grandfathered for unlimited data. But heres the thing I'm still paying full retail with the edge plan and I lose my unlimited data, I could just put the phone on a no interest card and pay full retail in installments and keep my data.

If you're going to give up unlimited data, you at least need to get a subsidized price.

Edge is a ripoff.

I gave up unlimited Verizon a while back to get the iPhone 5 (on AT&T now and have had 2 other phones since then). The biggest use of my data is streaming Google Music All Access. I usually use about 1.5GB a month, sometimes under 1GB. I mostly update apps on WiFi which isn't an inconvenience at all.

It's a tough decision, and I'm probably less enthusiastic about unlimited data now since I don't have it, but I haven't found being on a limit to be a big inconvenience so far.

Surfing the web is probably the least data usage of anything you do on a smartphone. If that is most of your use, I'd say you'd be fine with even 2GB (probably 1GB too).

Just login to your account and look at your past usage.

Fingerprint sensor works perfectly fine for me. A little surprised I was able to walk into the apple store after work to get one. But not that many people want the 64GB models I suppose

Espresso

Banned

Wait. You're willing to forgo your unlimited data plan (which is invaluable with LTE), and still pay full retail price for the latest iPhone?

Gotchaye

Is anyone else having problems with the fingerprint scanner? It is completely inconsistent for me. Sometimes I can't get it work at all, sometimes it takes 2-3 tries, and very rarely it works completely seamlessly as it was presented in the apple keynote. I even tried to record the same finger multiple times to try to improve accuracy but that doesn't seem to have helped.

No, no problems after setting things up, though I'm using three fingerprint slots for two thumbs because it wasn't reliable enough for my left thumb with just one. It's so far been significantly faster than pressing the button and swiping would be.

potam

Banned
Someone recommend some interesting/fun/useful apps and games please.

I hate the fact that I'm not a social media user and it feels like 95% of the stuff on the App Store is for that.

Marco1

Tried to purchase one through O2 on their refresh tariff and after talking to an agent about the transaction I finally cancelled it and decided to stick with my full price unlocked pre-order.
What a rat-shit company who really don't give a flying fuck about their customers.

Espresso

Banned

I hate the fact that I'm not a social media user and it feels like 95% of the stuff on the App Store is for that.

There's only one game that I can recommend without hesitation, and that is Carcassonne.

It's the only game that's remained on my springboard over 3 OS revisions.

Gotchaye

Assuming you're relatively new to apps in general and aren't looking for something 5s-specific, in the "useful" category Google Maps, Amazon's store app (edit: RedLaser is probably better), and Kindle stand out for me. Amazon's has the non-obvious use case of positioning a barcode in front of the camera and price checking an item (I think there are other apps that do something similar and give prices for a variety of retailers).

Apple's Podcasts app is essential. Netflix's app does what you would expect. VLC Streamer ($2) is ridiculously easy to use and lets you stream media from your PC to your phone over wifi.

Edit: Or there's a whole thread for that, apparently.

potam

Banned
Badlands, Letterpress, Field Runners 2
Just downloaded Letterpress since it's free. Badlands looks pretty cool. Played the hell out of the first Field Runners, but I'm not sure if I can really get into a tower defense game like I used to.
There's only one game that I can recommend without hesitation, and that is Carcassonne.
It's the only game that's remained on my springboard over 3 OS revisions.
I've thought about purchasing it, but I'm still on the fence. $10 is a lil too rich for my blood.
I need things spoon fed.
Assuming you're relatively new to apps in general and aren't looking for something 5s-specific, in the "useful" category Google Maps, Amazon's store app (edit: RedLaser is probably better), and Kindle stand out for me. Amazon's has the non-obvious use case of positioning a barcode in front of the camera and price checking an item (I think there are other apps that do something similar and give prices for a variety of retailers).

Apple's Podcasts app is essential. Netflix's app does what you would expect. VLC Streamer ($2) is ridiculously easy to use and lets you stream media from your PC to your phone over wifi.

Edit: Or there's a whole thread for that, apparently.
Not new to apps, but I always go through about a week or two of actively searching for and trying out apps and games whenever I get a new device, then never open the App Store again. So basically I don't know anything about games and apps more recent than the iPad 3 :/

I might check out the Amazon thing, but I honestly never used stuff like that.
PLANTS VS ZOMBIES
Got tired of it, to be honest. And I'm scared to take a look at PvZ2 due to IAP.

Quick

Banned
I need things spoon fed.

Big fan of Flipboard myself. Nice way of viewing news. I know there are many other options, but Flipboard still takes the cake for me.

I like to save articles for later viewing on Pocket. Really handy, especially now that there's a desktop app for it on Chrome.

Dropbox for files. I enabled camera uploads, so any picture I take uploads to Dropbox once I open the app.

Evernote for universal note syncing. Take notes on one device, open it on another. Really handy if you have a lot of notes you need to keep.

Those are all free.

potam

Banned
Big fan of Flipboard myself. Nice way of viewing news. I know there are many other options, but Flipboard still takes the cake for me.

I like to save articles for later viewing on Pocket. Really handy, especially now that there's a desktop app for it on Chrome.

Dropbox for files. I enabled camera uploads, so any picture I take uploads to Dropbox once I open the app.

Evernote for universal note syncing. Take notes on one device, open it on another. Really handy if you have a lot of notes you need to keep.

Those are all free.

Now I feel bad for being a smartass :( Thanks for the list.

I've been using Pulse for my all-in-one blog source. I'll check Flipboard out and see what it offers though.

woober

I ordered the black 5s from ATT. I'm thinking of switching to gold. Will apple allow it or do I need to go to an ATT store?

potam

Banned
I ordered the black 5s from ATT. I'm thinking of switching to gold. Will apple allow it or do I need to go to an ATT store?

I imagine you'd have to go to ATT if you ordered it from ATT. But...I also wouldn't be surprised if they gave you a runaround like "Oh, you ordered it online? You'll have to talk to them"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The Final Fantasy XIV Token App.

Juice

You're probably stuck with it. First, the only place you can return it to is AT&T's online store, and even then I'm sure they charge a restocking fee and give you only a narrow window for returns.

Additionally, your upgrade pricing may not be restored immediately to go buy another one.

Finally, it'd require you actually find a gold iPhone which, who knows, could take a month.

Hey guys, I could use some help. I just bought a 5s, logged into it with my itunes and all of my purchases seem to be gone. When I go to redownload apps they're asking for money. What can I do about this? Everything else seems fine - music came over, mail and settings, etc, but anything store-related seems gone.

I let the battery drain out to 0%, then plugged it in to recharge to calibrate the battery-when I went to check on it just now-it was at 80% but the fucking thing was hot as hell. I hadn't even been using it-it was simply charging. What gives?

They'll let you do it for a $35 restocking fee. The clerk who rang me up at the AT&T Store yesterday mentioned this.

Hey guys, I could use some help. I just bought a 5s, logged into it with my itunes and all of my purchases seem to be gone. When I go to redownload apps they're asking for money. What can I do about this? Everything else seems fine - music came over, mail and settings, etc, but anything store-related seems gone.

That doesn't sound right. You sure you're logged in? What happens when you plug it into the computer?

potam

Banned
I let the battery drain out to 0%, then plugged it in to recharge to calibrate the battery-when I went to check on it just now-it was at 80% but the fucking thing was hot as hell. I hadn't even been using it-it was simply charging. What gives?

There was a theory before the 5 launched that the metal backing was to help dissipate heat and allow it to charge faster. I'm sure that it's been proven right or wrong at this point...I'd look it up but I'm about to leave work.

Sprint.com 16GB Silver shipped! Heavy overestimate with that 3 weeks.

I'm hoping this is the case with me soon. My iPhone 4S needed to be replaced, so I got an HTC One for $100 to hold me off until the iPhone 5S just to see if Android had improved since I last used it on the HTC Hero. While I like the HTC One itself, I still hate Android. Can't wait to go back to iOS!

nikos

Is anyone else still swiping and entering passcode to unlock? After six years, I can't help but to do it out of habit.

Koodo

Banned
Is anyone else still swiping and entering passcode to unlock? After six years, I can't help but to do it out of habit.
No, considering Touch ID detects my fingerprint and unlocks the phone before I can even thinking of swiping to unlock.

Dishwalla

Banned
Not gonna lie, the Touch ID has freaked me out on a couple occasions. I keep forgetting it's there, so I push the home button and next thing I know my phone is unlocked. It's gonna take a little time to get used to, that's for sure.

potam

Banned
Not gonna lie, the Touch ID has freaked me out on a couple occasions. I keep forgetting it's there, so I push the home button and next thing I know my phone is unlocked. It's gonna take a little time to get used to, that's for sure.

Even though I use it to unlock the phone and I don't think much of it, I thought it was so cool to authorize a download with it. Can't wait til there's full keychain integration.

Juice

Go to updates -> purchased and log in

Sailor

you call yourself a sailor and you're scared of blue+white?! lol

Haha good point. I think I'm gonna end up going with the gold iphone honestly (it'll also probably have the highest resale value in 2 yrs), the only negative about the leather cases is that no one will see the golden back :( ah well, I'll know it's there.

Wait. You're willing to forgo your unlimited data plan (which is invaluable with LTE), and still pay full retail price for the latest iPhone?
Nope, that's what I realized giving up unlimited for 6gb and paying full retail is a rip off. Which is exactly why vz is doing it, so they can get people of unlimited data plans.
If you're going to give up unlimited data, you at least need to get a subsidized price.

Edge is a ripoff.

I gave up unlimited Verizon a while back to get the iPhone 5 (on AT&T now and have had 2 other phones since then). The biggest use of my data is streaming Google Music All Access. I usually use about 1.5GB a month, sometimes under 1GB. I mostly update apps on WiFi which isn't an inconvenience at all.

It's a tough decision, and I'm probably less enthusiastic about unlimited data now since I don't have it, but I haven't found being on a limit to be a big inconvenience so far.

Surfing the web is probably the least data usage of anything you do on a smartphone. If that is most of your use, I'd say you'd be fine with even 2GB (probably 1GB too).

Just login to your account and look at your past usage.
I don't use much data really usually less than a gig a month but I like the option to be able to watch as much Netflix,YouTube, or anything data intensive if I need to.

Top Bottom