• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Iacobellis

How close does the aluminum back and trim of the Space Grey phone match the aluminum body of a MacBook Pro?

I like the white phone for its premium look and fully gray back, but the black phone reminds me of the early iPhone days and seems to contrast much better with the majority of iOS 7. I've been hoping Apple would release another black phone similar to the 4/4S so it can perfectly match my computer!

Hatty

rqaKmTp.png

!!!!!

yay! mine is preparing for shipment also. I'm out of the country for a couple of week starting the 29th so I'm quite glad I'll have it before then!

got mine early friday after months of being phoneless. i am liking it a lot — all the new features, especially the camera stuff and touch ID, work great.

i got the blue leather case too, which is pretty much my perfect case design except it makes the sleep/wake button a lot less clicky.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
First day with mine.

Still think my old Slate 5 is sexier, but I've definitely warmed to the color a lot. It has a certain je ne sais quois.

Camera is a beast. It's amazing what a slight hardware and software tweak can do. Old 5's camera was anything but unresponsive but it almost pales in comparison to this. Burst mode, better HDR results, crazy improved low light results and all the behind the scenes software stabilizing makes for a pleasantly surprising end result. No real use for Slow Mo, but it's still nifty and fun. The way bursts are handled in the camera roll is great, too.

Already spoiled by the Touch ID. Only failed me once all day. Now I'm instinctively hitting the home button, leaving my finger and bam. Putting in a passcode is already a bother. Can't wait to see how the tech and software are expanded in the years to come, too.

Beyond that it's like a 5 but without the seldom hiccups. The 5 is still crazy responsive and I never had it let me down, but this lacks even the most minor of stutters the 5 burped out here and there.

Edit: Beyond IB3, what else pushes the hardware on this thing?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anything about Sweden release yet?

Certinty

Damn the gold one is sort of growing on me.

Might just sell my 5 and order that and hold off getting a PS4 for a few months. Hmm...

kewlmyc

My boss is telling me that he'll buy me an iPhone for work. When should we expect the 5s to be back in stores? How long did it take the 5 to get back in stock in stores?

Anno

Sounds like a decent number of stores might still have a few if you like the black/grey color.

Order just went to preparing. Yay.

Deku Tree

Preparing for Shipment Available to ship: 1 - 3 business days
Delivers: Sep 30 - Oct 2 by Standard Shipping
Not eligible to cancel or return

iPhone 5s 64GB Silver (GSM)

Yay!!!

I kissed my phone this morning. First new phone since my Galaxy S2....yes S2. First iOS device and I am impressed. Everything you want to do is so easily handled by the OS. Multitasking has never been easier. I never locked my screen on my Android devices because I hated passwords and the fingerprint scanner has worked flawlessly. The speed, holy shit the speed at which this device does things is incredible. I know I was on an older phone but I did not realize how far things have come in two years.

Things I miss about my old phone:

Screen size. Screen downsize but im already use to it.

Hopefully you guys can help with this. On my S2, I bought PowerAmp and it let you mess with an Equalizer so you could control the high, mids, and lows to your liking. Because of this, my music on the iphone is not as powerful as I like. I see that there is a equalizer setting but its all presets. Is there an app I can get that helps with this?

kaskade

Man, hopefully the one I ordered from T-Mobile ships soon since everyone's status is updating. I am heading to the mall though so I'll probably go to the store just to check out the gold one. I wish the T-Mobile stores were actually stocking it though.

Oppo

Ok, seriously though; how do I share or export slow mo video? There must be a way...

If it's like GoPro, you'll need to remap the timescale using something like Premiere. Exporting is easy obviously (same as before, use Image Capture if you are in Mac). There will probably be drag and drop apps for playback variability shortly but that's the way I know to do it.

The trick is that it shot 120 FPS. So it will probably play back at that speed on the computer. So it needs to be altered to be 4X longer at 1/4 the original rate to give you 30 FPS.

On orders-
My Rogers reservation seems to have shipped, so it seems like I'll get my 5S early this week. Quicker than I expected.

JB1981

Kind of OT but figured this would be a decent place to ask. Has ios7 improved wifi speeds for anyone else with a IPhone 4S? Maybe I am imaging things but my speeds seem better

Turns out my 16 GB silver iPhone 5S I ordered on Sprint.com shipped yesterday, but the shipping confirmation email went to my spam folder for some reason. It'll be here Wednesday!

Oppo

Iphone 4 is a microsim while iphone 5s is a nano sim

Att will give you a nano sim no problem.

Just came across this - they changed the SIM form again??
Seems silly. Thing was already tiny. I assume a nano sim will require tweezers to grab?

Ninja Dom

I've seen the Space Grey and the Silver. I still haven't seen the Gold.

I've ordered the 64GB Space Grey and I'm hoping for delivery this coming week.

Anybody got the Gold? How is it?

Ninja Dom

Just came across this - they changed the SIM form again??
Seems silly. Thing was already tiny. I assume a nano sim will require tweezers to grab?

iPhone 5 was the first Nano Sim phone a year ago. iPad Mini, iPhone 5S and the Motorola X are all Nano Sim now too.

Magnus

PSA: The Rogers at Eaton Centre in Toronto has some 5S's left, including a Silver 64gb.

If it's like GoPro, you'll need to remap the timescale using something like Premiere. Exporting is easy obviously (same as before, use Image Capture if you are in Mac). There will probably be drag and drop apps for playback variability shortly but that's the way I know to do it.

The trick is that it shot 120 FPS. So it will probably play back at that speed on the computer. So it needs to be altered to be 4X longer at 1/4 the original rate to give you 30 FPS.

On orders-
My Rogers reservation seems to have shipped, so it seems like I'll get my 5S early this week. Quicker than I expected.

Thanks, but, I found much easier solution! Email the video to yourself, redownload it, then share that file. It'll be slow mo. Bam!

Oppo

Thanks, but, I found much easier solution! Email the video to yourself, redownload it, then share that file. It'll be slow mo. Bam!

Ah, nice. It seems like you've found a workaround to 'launder' the FPS metadata out of the file, so it defaults to 30, and therefore is slo mo. The last bit - share that file, you mean with a Share widget on the phone or just in general, like an email attachment?

Ninja Dom said:
iPhone 5 was the first Nano Sim phone a year ago. iPad Mini, iPhone 5S and the Motorola X are all Nano Sim now too.
Thanks. I somehow missed that. Well at least they basically can't get any smaller.

...(right?)

Blackhead

Redarse
Chaos Computer Club breaks Apple TouchID

*welp*
Ah, nice. It seems like you've found a workaround to 'launder' the FPS metadata out of the file, so it defaults to 30, and therefore is slo mo. The last bit - share that file, you mean with a Share widget on the phone or just in general, like an email attachment?

Thanks. I somehow missed that. Well at least they basically can't get any smaller.

...(right?)
Apple was rumored to be messing around with an embedded sim i.e. no sim card at all, but the European carriers put their foot down

Top Bottom