• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

mrkgoo

Great question.

I'll be going from a 5 to a 5S. My 5S should be here in the next few days.

I'm guessing the main thing people will notice is speed and camera quality.

I'll doubt you'll notice speed of general use. When it comes to iphone 5and 5S, I imagine the limiting factor is more the UI itself, in that it's programmed to animate in a particular way.

I don't think the iPhone 5 is operating at the limits of its capabilities in most cases to make the next gen processor do it faster.

ramyeon

Damn... I almost have the same pattern. Started with a hand-me-down 3G from my mom, then 4, 4S, and now a 5. Contemplating a 5s very badly...
I'll be skipping the 5s sadly, since I'm on a contract already. I could pass it off to someone else but starting a 2 year contract now is inconvenient for me since I'll be moving overseas in less than a year :/ probably just gonna get the 6 when that comes out.

Iacobellis

I'll be skipping the 5s sadly, since I'm on a contract already. I could pass it off to someone else but starting a 2 year contract now is inconvenient for me since I'll be moving overseas in less than a year :/ probably just gonna get the 6 when that comes out.

I do a mix of using my own upgrade or "borrowing" one from another line on our Family Plan. I told myself I would never get another S phone, seeing as how they are more of an incremental upgrade, but I am still wanting this new one. Ugh.

Got my 32GB White/Silver today. Phone is so so so slick. Can't wait to take some sweet slow motion videos with it. Won't have to use my gopro as often for that now.

Got the applecare so I dont have to rock a case and hide the lovely edges of it. Hate cases/screen films, plus now I can treat my phone like a phone.

Quick

Banned
The 4S is my first iPhone. 5S being the second now.

I'll probably wait until the 6S, unless there's an amazing deal for the 6 in a year.

This will be my first iPhone. What would be the best case/s that offers normal day to day protection (drops on the ground, scratches, etc) without making the iPhone too bulky?

My Silver 5s got pushed to Tuesday. Thing has been sitting in Louisville for a day and hasn't moved. I want it nowwwwww. My 4 gets slower every time I use it.

I love my 4s. I started with the 3gs and by the end of my 2 year contract, it was so slow, I'd barely call it usable. My 4s still feels great today. It really has aged well. I am scared for my 5s that is in the mail. I am so used to my 4s's battery life. I ALWAYS get at least 2 days of use out of it. I think part of that comes down to keeping my screen brightness lower and always letting my phone drain to below 10% before charging it (zero if I can). I also avoid mini charge periods (no car chargers, no charging ipod docks) because I don't want to waste a cycle. I'm just hoping I can get the same performance out of my 5s.

Iacobellis

Yeah, 5S definitely doesn't have the iPhone 4's amazing battery life...

Turning off some of the useless features definitely seems to help though. I wouldn't say the 5S has bad battery life.

I remember toggling to EDGE if I was in areas with excellent coverage to squeeze even more juice out of the thing. It was amazing for a phone in 2010, especially compared to the crop of Android handsets like the first Galaxy S line or HTC Evo 4G.

I remember toggling to EDGE if I was in areas with excellent coverage to squeeze even more juice out of the thing. It was amazing for a phone in 2010, especially compared to the crop of Android handsets like the first Galaxy S line or HTC Evo 4G.

Oh god the Evo's battery life. Don't even get me started.

Has anyone ordered theirs over the weekend and had it shipped by now? Wondering if I should chance finding one in a store or if I should just order one and hopefully have it by the end of this week.

Taigor

Neo Member
Verizon can be infuriating sometimes. I ordered about 3 minutes after the phone went on sale and my order is not shipping until Tuesday. Verizon rep informed me that any 64GB phones ordered between 12am and 7am Friday are all shipping at that time.

So to all of you guys stressing about your tracking information on your already shipped phones...it could be worse!

Cr0wn0

Every so often when I unlock my 5S I get 2 audible dings from something but I cant figure out what's causing it. There is no notification of any kind it just randomly makes the noise. Any idea?

subrock

Verizon can be infuriating sometimes. I ordered about 3 minutes after the phone went on sale and my order is not shipping until Tuesday. Verizon rep informed me that any 64GB phones ordered between 12am and 7am Friday are all shipping at that time.

So to all of you guys stressing about your tracking information on your already shipped phones...it could be worse!

It could be even worse than that, you could be in Canada/UK where orders placed at 11:58 were immediately expected to deliver in early-mid October.

ramyeon

You really needed the 5 after the 4S?
Not necessarily, no. But I bought my 4S out of contract and was able to sell it for a pretty great price at the time so why not?

I'd argue that the 4 > 4s was a more useless upgrade (At the time, the 4s has obviously aged a lot better than the 4), but I had to buy the 4s since my 4 was locked into a contract and I was leaving the country to study abroad for a year. Needed an unlocked phone and the contract would cost $1000+ to cancel so I transferred the contract to my mum and gave her the phone.

But hey, what is it to you anyway? ;)

Oppo

I love my 4s. I started with the 3gs and by the end of my 2 year contract, it was so slow, I'd barely call it usable. My 4s still feels great today. It really has aged well. I am scared for my 5s that is in the mail. I am so used to my 4s's battery life. I ALWAYS get at least 2 days of use out of it. I think part of that comes down to keeping my screen brightness lower and always letting my phone drain to below 10% before charging it (zero if I can). I also avoid mini charge periods (no car chargers, no charging ipod docks) because I don't want to waste a cycle. I'm just hoping I can get the same performance out of my 5s.

Lithium batteries really don't like deep discharges. Do some reading on that, is my advice.

They also don't have 'cycles' the way you are thinking of it. It's outmoded thinking. These aren't Ni-Cads.

Quick

Banned
http://youtu.be/a0BEMsSpAa8

Video I took with the slow motion capture.

Filmed vertical?

i9MaPa3KjrzI4.gif

Nice. Can't wait to actually try it out.

Roo

Filmed vertical?

i9MaPa3KjrzI4.gif

Nice. Can't wait to actually try it out.

lol ikr?
No, but seriously, it looks great. I'm sure people will come up with some great videos using this.
I mean, even this flag video looks like "the moment before the storm" or something like that heh :p

Dat feel of 120 fps

Looks like im going to try to get one of these tomorrow morning. My 4S broke and im eligible and I reaaalyy don't want to waste my upgrade on a damn 5C

KoukiFC

Neo Member

You don't waste a cycle by charging early. Its actually better to top off because you'll get more charge cycles than by discharging fully. Source: battery university

Also the 5 & 5S have better battery life than the 4 and 4S. They just have a lot more dynamic power usage. The new iPhones can sip battery or gulp a bunch. Check out the anandtech reviews.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GTA V has currently kept me from going insane from all the 5S hype... still no news on the Swedish 5s launch, I take it? God, I need this fucking phone right now! I haven't iOS7-updated my iPhone 4 or my iPad Mini, because I want to break two cherries at once (iOS7 and 5s simultaneously)...

I NEED THIS PHONE.

RIGHT NOW.

Quick

Banned
GTA V has currently kept me from going insane from all the 5S hype... still no news on the Swedish 5s launch, I take it? God, I need this fucking phone right now! I haven't iOS7-updated my iPhone 4 or my iPad Mini, because I want to break two cherries at once (iOS7 and 5s simultaneously)...

I NEED THIS PHONE.

RIGHT NOW.

All it takes is to hit that software update button.

Update those whore devices, so you'll be experienced when your special phone finally comes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Screw being experienced! I want that fresh new feeling on my fresh new phone :_:

tsumineko

Well I'm happy. I had my first full day at Uni since getting the 5S. Using it in the same way I did my iPhone 4, I'm left with 66% battery at the end of the day. This is in line with my iPhone 4. Perfect!

Ninja Dom

If I'm a really lucky boy my 5S should arrive later today.

Alright so we got Touch ID, 64 bit A7, super improved camera with 120fps slow mo. What further things can an iPhone 6 bring?

If I'm a really lucky boy my 5S should arrive later today.

Alright so we got Touch ID, 64 bit A7, super improved camera with 120fps slow mo. What further things can an iPhone 6 bring?

New design, faster processor, updated camera, better battery life, maybe a bigger screen. Hopefully 32GB for the entry level capacity

Top Bottom