• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Majine

Banned
Well, I always saw the fingerprint scanner as a thing that slows the thieves down, not a permanent block. I mean, I would still try to remote wipe the phone if it's lost.

Ninja Dom

Seems far too complex to bother with, right?

First, the fingerprint of the enroled user is photographed with 2400 dpi resolution. The resulting image is then cleaned up, inverted and laser printed with 1200 dpi onto transparent sheet with a thick toner setting. Finally, pink latex milk or white woodglue is smeared into the pattern created by the toner onto the transparent sheet. After it cures, the thin latex sheet is lifted from the sheet, breathed on to make it a tiny bit moist and then placed onto the sensor to unlock the phone. This process has been used with minor refinements and variations against the vast majority of fingerprint sensors on the market.

Oppo

So you need the fingerprint....

Yeah. And I recall, some Japanese dude managed to hack much higher level fingerprint scanners using Photoshop and some algenate. We knew this. It's still a nice balance between convenience and typing in missling launch codes every time you unlock your phone, IMO. CCC's press release is just a bit back-pattingly snarky.

Like, "we can break this biometric password! first step is, we acquire the password..."

kaskade

Yeah, I don't really see that as breaking in. The sensor is just reading a picture of your unique print. If they replicate it it makes sense that you could bypass it. Seems like a lot of work though.

giga

DxgK+

A real "hack" would be breaking the Secure Enclave in the A7. Now that would be news.

Magnus

Ah, nice. It seems like you've found a workaround to 'launder' the FPS metadata out of the file, so it defaults to 30, and therefore is slo mo. The last bit - share that file, you mean with a Share widget on the phone or just in general, like an email attachment?

I used the Share widget but I imagine attaching it from within the Email app would work too? Unsure.

toohectic

What store/site (other than Craigslist or eBay) currently offers the best trade-in value for a used iPhone 4S Black AT&T 32G in excellent condition? Should I trade it in at Apple directly when I eventually pick up a new 5S?

Anno

What store/site (other than Craigslist or eBay) currently offers the best trade-in value for a used iPhone 4S Black AT&T 32G in excellent condition? Should I trade it in at Apple directly when I eventually pick up a new 5S?

Amazon gave me a very reasonable offer on my 5. Not as good as finding a local guy, but certainly easier.

Iacobellis

GameStop surprisingly offers a good sum for iPhones. My mom got around $190 in cash for a 16GB 4S on Friday.

Sean

Banned

Apple doesn't offer good trade in values, it's more of a convenience thing.

Apple offered me $122 for an iPhone 4 (16gb) in excellent condition. Gamestop offered $138.20 cash or $173 store credit - but they have a promotion where you get an extra 30% trade-in value if you preorder anything (5 bucks) on the same receipt, so I got like $220. I'm sure GS would give you at least double for a 32gb 4S.

asdad123

Apple doesn't offer good trade in values, it's more of a convenience thing.

Apple offered me $122 for an iPhone 4 (16gb) in excellent condition. Gamestop offered $138.20 cash or $173 store credit - but they have a promotion where you get an extra 30% trade-in value if you preorder anything (5 bucks) on the same receipt, so I got like $220. I'm sure GS would give you at least double for a 32gb 4S.

According to their website, it ranges from 125 (broken) to 292 (like new). If the 30% does stack, thats actually really good. You can get $380 for it which is a little insane.

Lo-Volt

Lucked out after taking a long Sunday walk and got what seemed like one of the last 32GB models in this color for my carrier from Best Buy, after Sprint's call center-initiated "guaranteed overnight" order turned into a "3 weeks, maybe" order. Time to play.

Edit: OMG, amazing. Sprint LTE? Not quite.

Shady859

Anyone who ordered from Verizon online may want to track their order again. I bought a 32gb Silver release day at 3:30am EST when it showed shipping by 9/24 which turned into by 9/30 later that day. Today I got a email asking to verify my email for new account and found that Fedex has my phone and expected this wednesday. My current prepaid plan ends tomorrow so perfect timing.

+1 for Gamestop TIV being a winner. I looked at all the options and going to give them my AT&T 32gb iPhone 4, $199 TIV after 30% bump. Pretty close to or the same when you figure in Ebay 10% cut + Paypal, shipping and remember if a buyer is unhappy or crooked it's not going to be a huge pain in your butt.

Vyer

So after setting things up a little bit more and getting a little more detailed with what I want to have location services and background refresh access to, I'm still noticing a bit of a battery hit.

s7FggqQ.png

I probably would have got around 8 hours on my 5 with iOS 6 with the same kind of usage. (To be fair I have been fiddling with the phone a lot more right now because it's new).

Would like to have an actual bump, but my day to day routine involves it charging in the car while I'm commuting so it's manageable.

Iacobellis

So after setting things up a little bit more and getting a little more detailed with what I want to have location services and background refresh access to, I'm still noticing a bit of a battery hit.

s7FggqQ.png

I probably would have got around 8 hours on my 5 with iOS 6 with the same kind of usage. (To be fair I have been fiddling with the phone a lot more right now because it's new).

Would like to have an actual bump, but my day to day routine involves it charging in the car while I'm commuting so it's manageable.

Hate this route, but another solution would to start fresh.

Vyer

Hate this route, but another solution would to start fresh.

Oh I did, that's a clean install with a manual setup.

Like I said, there's definitely a battery hit for me - and it could just be some app hasn't been optimized or some other setting I haven't addressed - but it's not very far off what I would have expected with my 5 with the same usage. Still would have been nice to see it go the other way.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

s7FggqQ.png

Did you try all of this?

http://snapguide.com/guides/save-battery-life-iphone-w-ios-7-complete-guide/

Is anyone actually using the iCloud to sync their iPhone? I've heard that it drains battery so I only have Find My iPhone activated and use Google for syncing everything else (Calendar, Contacts, Photos, etc...)

jts

...hate me...
Unless you wear gloves all the time (but you'd have to take it off for touchid anyway) your fingerprints are all over your iPhone
If you lift the owner's fingerprint from the iPhone itself (like if it's stolen or something), by the time you have everything ready, the iPhone should be remotely locked/wiped/deactivated.

Actually that's more of a reason why for me it would be better that the access to the iPhone via fingerprint should be given by iCloud servers, after a short period of time where the iPhone would cache your fingerprint hash.

Like one hour inactivity - local fingerprint hash gets dumped, iCloud will get you in via fingerprint, if no iCloud access resort to pin.

That way you couldn't override the remote killswitch by disabling internet access.

LCfiner

Is anyone actually using the iCloud to sync their iPhone? I've heard that it drains battery so I only have Find My iPhone activated and use Google for syncing everything else (Calendar, Contacts, Photos, etc...)

been using iCloud since iOS 5 launched. I still get a days worth of use easily and it doesn’t drain when the screen is off, just idling.

use it if you want to. it’s safe, battery-wise.

mrkgoo

Battery life is improved if you turn off all spotlight items except apps BC otherwise it is constantly indexing items

Maybe he should've said that 100% sure that it 99% of the time does not.

I bet the hit is so negligible that it may as well be zero. Do we even know if the search operates like Mac OS X in that it indexes? Even if it did index as content is created, it would be so close to nothing - whatever you're doing, installing apps, sending a text, writing an email, the screen itself is probably dwarfing any hit the processor is using to index.

According to GameStop's trade-in site the ATT 32 GB iPhone 4 is worth $175, but the Verizon version of the same exact phone is worth only $90. Is there a reason for a 50% drop in price between the versions?

asdad123

According to GameStop's trade-in site the ATT 32 GB iPhone 4 is worth $175, but the Verizon version of the same exact phone is worth only $90. Is there a reason for a 50% drop in price between the versions?

Att can be unlocked and used with any Sim card. Verizon can only be used with Verizon

ramyeon

Made me realise that the 5s is the first iPhone iteration I'll be skipping since I started with the 3. Sucks being locked into a contract.

Top Bottom