• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

mollipen

So, I really want an iPhone 5S, but I've got one problem. My car (Nissan Cube) has built-in iPod/iPhone support, but the cable is the old cable and not a Lightning cable. It isn't a USB plug or anything - it's what seems to be a proprietary cable that plugs into the console that then provides the old iPod/iPhone plug.

Is there any kind of adapter I can buy that would go old cable -> Lightning that would still allow me to control and charge the 5S through my car? I previously bought a simple adapter, but the car doesn't recognize a Lightning-equipped iPhone using it.

I believe there were some major changes between the old style and new Lightning style (analog to digital?), but I'm hoping there's a cheap way to allow us to use both our current iPhone 4S and a new 5S without having to buy an entirely new car stereo.

Haribo

Banned
Found some stock in my local Apple store so I bought it there and cancelled my slow as fuck UK delivery. Feels good.

They didn't have much and were keeping close track on it all. Didn't tell me how much they had but I noticed they had around 10 32GB space grey ones.

Now to wait for a case before using it.

You fucker! Well done, man.

Robin64

A bit of a surprise, but my iPhone 5S upgrade via Three that I ordered had an expected delivery date of October 9th. I've just had a text from them saying it's out for delivery now and about 2 hours away. Wheee! Love nice surprises like that.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
My 64 Space Grey is still processing, but I swapped my black 5 for a white 5S at the EE store yesterday, which I'll gift to my ma when mine arrives. I'm loving the camera and touch to unlock!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Those are the tabs you were viewing on your 4s.
Is there a way to disable iCloud on a device you no longer own? Would deleting the backup completely from your other device do the job?

The iCloud website really needs to have a better control panel for managing all the data on your cloud. Including a file browser like DropBox.com.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Come the fuck on, Sweden!!!!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
swe?

It won't be long, man. Hold on to hope!
I just expected it to be released within the first week or so :( I am so maaaaad.

Hatty

Is there a way to disable iCloud on a device you no longer own? Would deleting the backup completely from your other device do the job?

The iCloud website really needs to have a better control panel for managing all the data on your cloud. Including a file browser like DropBox.com.

They disappear eventually if you don't use safari on the other device

Yoshichan

Stupid question: can I buy an iPhone 5 case and screen cover for my (future purchase) 5s? Or will it mess with antennas or anything alike?

Tom_Cody

I had posted previously in this thread to report that I was having problems with the fingerprint scanner. That issue has been completely resolved. I didn't know that you needed to hold your thumb on the pad until it IDed you and instead I had thought you needed to just tap your thumb. Problem solved and now I love it.

Robin64

Oh man, so annoying. Sitting here with my 5S, an upgrade through Three from my 4S, and the SIM hasn't been activated. "Searching... No Service".

Do you know how annoying this is, Three? DO YOU?!

Yoshichan

Oh man, so annoying. Sitting here with my 5S, an upgrade through Three from my 4S, and the SIM hasn't been activated. "Searching... No Service".

Three? Where you from mate?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just bought one of these in the 32gb Space Grey. coming from the amazing N4 using 4.3 this is on another level. The polish and attention to detail is just absurdly good - it's like the iPhone 4 I sold a few years back, refined to perfection.

So, I really want an iPhone 5S, but I've got one problem. My car (Nissan Cube) has built-in iPod/iPhone support, but the cable is the old cable and not a Lightning cable. It isn't a USB plug or anything - it's what seems to be a proprietary cable that plugs into the console that then provides the old iPod/iPhone plug.

Is there any kind of adapter I can buy that would go old cable -> Lightning that would still allow me to control and charge the 5S through my car? I previously bought a simple adapter, but the car doesn't recognize a Lightning-equipped iPhone using it.

I believe there were some major changes between the old style and new Lightning style (analog to digital?), but I'm hoping there's a cheap way to allow us to use both our current iPhone 4S and a new 5S without having to buy an entirely new car stereo.

I believe this is what you're looking for: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45
MD823

scotcheggz

I don't mean to sound patronising, but I did this on Monday, you need to register your new sim since it's a different size to your old one, have you done it yet? You do it here: http://www.three.co.uk/Support/SIM_activation. Sorry if you've tried, just thought I'd throw it out there, since there's no documentation telling you to do this and they never mentioned it on the phone either, I was waiting about 12 hours before I finally decided to look it up lol.

Robin64

I don't mean to sound patronising, but I did this on Monday, you need to register your new sim since it's a different size to your old one, have you done it yet? You do it here: http://www.three.co.uk/Support/SIM_activation. Sorry if you've tried, just thought I'd throw it out there, since there's no documentation telling you to do this and they never mentioned it on the phone either, I was waiting about 12 hours before I finally decided to look it up lol.

Funnily enough, I found that page shortly after my original post. But yeah, there was literally nothing telling me to go there, I was just browsing the website and found it.

30 minutes later, old phone disconnects from the network, new one connects.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Funny enough, I seem to run into issues like this constantly. It's extremely frustrating. I can't say for certain if it always falls on Apple (though, in once case, I'm positive it was their fault as they gave me an out-of-country phone). However, since I've only every had Apple smartphones, they have a bad rap in my book about general "getting it to freaking be usable on my account."

Just a heads up - if you're coming from a 5 (or any phone that uses nanosim), take the sim out of your old phone and put it into your new 5S. Turn off. Turn back on.

Quoting myself from last night.... as damnit to heck, it's happening like I semi-predicted.

Sitting at my desk at work, where my colleague has full bars and I've had no issues with service the entire time I owned my 5. Yet my 5S, after hours of working just fine, randomly flipped to "No Service."

Tried a reset. Tried toggling LTE, Airplane mode, etc. I reset the Network settings. Still nothing.

Guess I'll hit the AT&T store at lunch and grab another SIM. But my goodness, this is getting tiring. At least the 9th or 10th time that I've had an issue like this.

Sitting at my desk at work, where my colleague has full bars and I've had no issues with service the entire time I owned my 5. Yet my 5S, after hours of working just fine, randomly flipped to "No Service."

That happened to me on Monday, I put it down to my new carrier. Just popped the SIM and stuck it in again. Something to keep an eye on, I guess.

After a total nightmare experience with FedEx this week (concluding with my phone being delivered to a completely wrong address!) I finally got my phone today and I'm loving it. I thought the 4S was totally adequate, but its crazy how much faster the 5S is. Everything loads so quickly, it feels really seamless. Can't wait for work to be over so I can really put it through its paces.

On my new iphone I restored it from a backup of my 4s and noticed I had a bunch of space gone, and looked into the usage. Its showing 4gb of Messages (saved), so went through and deleted all my messages yet its still there.

Any ideas?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Anyone have the official 5s case? I want to know if it's worth buying.

Guy at work got it. It's nice and snug, and doesn't add much heft. If you're a case person, it's pretty decent. But the outside leather is pretty cheap feeling, and it really doesn't seem like it would protect from much except scratches. So, ultimately, nothing amazing; but not bad by any means, either.

Also, quick update: Took my phone to the AT&T store, they flipped my SIM and my phone seems to be working just fine now, knock on wood.

Deku Tree

Anyone have the official 5s case? I want to know if it's worth buying.

I checked it out in the store. I found a guy who just bought one and he let me look at it for a bit. My main problem with it is that it doesn't look like it would protect your case very much if you accidentally dropped it face first on the ground. So I didn't buy it.

I have dropped my iPhones face first on the ground more than once. And I want a case with protruding edges that will protect against that.

Top Bottom