• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just received an e-mail from Verizon that my iPhone 5S has had shipping delayed until October 7th.

For reference I ordered a Space Grey 64GB iPhone 5S at 3:26 EST that Friday morning.

The fuck Verizon!?

Quick

Banned
I have Touch ID off for now.

Not because of any privacy concerns, but I'm just stuck on a routine of swiping to unlock. :lol

Espresso

Banned
Just received an e-mail from Verizon that my iPhone 5S has had shipping delayed until October 7th.

For reference I ordered a Space Grey 64GB iPhone 5S at 3:26 EST that Friday morning.

The fuck Verizon!?

I'd cancel my order and head to the nearest Best Buy/whatever.

Should be getting mine today. Although Apple used Fedex SmartPost for my case, so it'll be here Friday (don't want to use it until I get the case).

Would have had to wait to activate it anyways since my bank card number got stolen and I can't use the number till the card gets delivered via the mail, though. >.>

I think it's all about luck.

The store I went to had just received their first delivery of stock.
What time did you go in? Ive been stopping by my store right at opening on the way to work/class and I'm beginning to think maybe they put some on sale in the evening. Maybe it depends on the time the truck gets there.

Vyer

My wife's phone will be delivered today! Do we need to take it to the AT&T store to set it up, or can we do it all at home (including sim transfer)?

Usually when you order the phone - like through Apple or AT&T - if you had to go through and apply it as an upgrade to one of your lines it should come with a sim ready to activate at home. If you bought it unlocked with no carrier plan you'd probably have to go get a new sim if it's not the same sim type as what she has now

Quick

Banned
Went to the Apple Store and looked at the cases. The black leather case is definitely appealing, but I might just go with something less bulky.

Just picked up my silver 5S from the UPS facility in town. Their driver "attempted" delivery at 6:38PM last night, but I was home and nobody knocked on the door. I stepped outside around 8 and found their slip hanging on my door anyway. I guess the driver was getting off work at 7PM and didn't bother to knock and wait 30 seconds for me to answer. Instead he just left the tag on the door and drove off. What a dickhead. So instead of waiting around again today (and possibly having the driver repeat yesterday's incident) I just had them hold it as the facility for pickup.

Usually when you order the phone - like through Apple or AT&T - if you had to go through and apply it as an upgrade to one of your lines it should come with a sim ready to activate at home. If you bought it unlocked with no carrier plan you'd probably have to go get a new sim if it's not the same sim type as what she has now

Yep, it should come ready to activate. I'm on AT&T and all I had to do was turn it on and put in my AppleID. It already knew my phone number and asked me to confirm that it was correct. It's busy restoring from my 4S backup right now.

Went to the Apple Store and looked at the cases. The black leather case is definitely appealing, but I might just go with something less bulky.

Tidbits 39-word review applies here: "Its exterior leather feels nice and the microfiber interior protects the iPhone’s finish, but the case fits so tightly that it’s hard to remove. Worse, it makes the buttons hard to press, and it bulks up my sleek iPhone."

Edit: So how long should this thing take to reboot after I've activated it? It's just been sitting on the loading screen with the Apple logo and progress bar for about 15 minutes now, and the progress bar hasn't moved past about 10% in all that time. I'm I looking at needing to restore this thing already?

Edit 2: I ended up rebooting it and it loaded up just fine the second time. Busy re-downloading apps now. Phew.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So unbelievably jealous

The fuck Verizon!?

Ordered mine through Verizon late afternoon Friday and was told mine was going to ship by the 7th "but probably earlier in reality".

Now with people actively getting delayed to the 7th I'm thinking that's when it'll ship...

I think I'll just look around town in my Verizon store and Best Buy to see if they have any stock. This wait is crazy.

Ninja Dom

Ok after 48 hours of using the 5S I've come to these observations.

The phone is fast, blisteringly fast. iOS 7 + 5S and 4G/LTE connectivity makes this phone super fast.

I remember the noticeable speed difference going from an iPhone 3G to a 3GS. Now going from a 5 (iOS 6, 2G & 3G only for me) to the new 5S is a speed difference behind that. And it's hard to believe because the 5 is by no means slow.

I've had a couple of the default apps completely quit on me. Safari quit a few minutes ago and forgot all opened tabs when I reopened it.

Still suffering with battery life but it's got to be because I'm on it all the damn time. I'm on Vodafone UK so I've managed to get Sky Sports Mobile TV for some nice sports streaming over 4G.

I think I actually do prefer the Space Grey of the 5S over the Slate Black of the 5.

kaskade

I talked with a tmo rep and they said it'd be like 2 weeks. If that ends up being true that sucks. I was had to be one of the first to order. Shouldn't have gotten the gold. If I'm near an Apple store over that time maybe I'll just pop in and check.

Quick feedback from 5 to 5S. The speed of the phone can be felt in the fluidity of movement and animation. Where as you can tell the 5 is putting in work, the 5S breezes through smoothly.

Browsing and scrolling is many times smoother.

It's really my ipad3 that feels like utter shit after using the 5S. Haven't messed around with the fingerprint scanner or camera.

Enco

What time did you go in? Ive been stopping by my store right at opening on the way to work/class and I'm beginning to think maybe they put some on sale in the evening. Maybe it depends on the time the truck gets there.
Around 1-2 ish.

Finally got everything installed and Google Authenticator set up.

Damn this is fast.

Touch ID is awesome. So good. Unlocking my phone without looking...

Quick feedback from 5 to 5S. The speed of the phone can be felt in the fluidity of movement and animation. Where as you can tell the 5 is putting in work, the 5S breezes through smoothly.

It's really my ipad3 that feels like utter shit after using the 5S. Haven't messed around with the fingerprint scanner or camera.

Agree 100%. It's not like the 5 felt slow when I had it but the S is just butter with everything.

And yes the 3 feels like a piece of shit now. Can't wait till next month to replace it.

Memles

Mine arrived from UPS today and man does this thing run hot.

Yeah, it was noticably hot in my pocket earlier, something I never experienced with my 4.

It's incredibly fast, and is generally working well and worth the upgrade, but the battery life has definitely been an eye opener—I felt my 4 was losing its battery life, and it was still getting me a hell of a lot more than the 5S right now. Not sure what's draining it, honestly, but I'll be interested to see how it holds up over time.

Ninja Dom

I'm the same as you: Went from a 5 to a 5S and use an iPad 3.

I'm pretty impressed with this phone jumping from my 4S. Very fast and the TouchID is much cooler than I thought it would be now that I've been using it the past couple of days.

The battery life seems pretty good too (compared to my degraded two year old 4S lol)

Juice

Just had my yellow leather 5s case replaced.

If you have one, all three buttons should still be very clicks. If there is limited action to the buttons your case is *defective* and should be swapped out.

/PSA

subrock

With this quality time I'm getting with this loaner 4s, the jump back to the 5s is going to be awesome. Now ship goddammit!

Battery life has been awesome so far on my 5S.
10% per 1 hour of usage.

4HTJtvc.png

Oppo

Yeah, it was noticably hot in my pocket earlier, something I never experienced with my 4.

It's incredibly fast, and is generally working well and worth the upgrade, but the battery life has definitely been an eye opener—I felt my 4 was losing its battery life, and it was still getting me a hell of a lot more than the 5S right now. Not sure what's draining it, honestly, but I'll be interested to see how it holds up over time.

There has to be a culprit. I went from 4s to 5s and the new one is definitely an improvement on battery life. I didn't turn off a lot of stuff, either. I would wager it's some not-yet-updated app or some other process that is misbehaving. i don't think it's the phone itself.

Monoprice has certified Lightning cables. I haven't bought any yet but I tend to trust them.

Need to give their site a look. I saw an article that IOS 7 makes using uncertified cables difficult.

And maybe my discerning eye can't tell the difference between the 5 and 5S. It seems a little bit faster but not magnitudes (just like the 4S to 5). I think the people who will notice the speed difference are those who upgrade every 2 years. To me, the big differences are the fingerprint reader and camera.

Anno

Restoring to my 5s from iCloud now. Initial thought: the home button feels much more solid and TouchID works much more quickly than I had expected.

Whats the trick? Turn off all notifications except for text of course,
Turn off access within apps?
Turn off Use cellular date for everything except for safari?

Top Bottom