• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Magnus

Mophie juice packs - verdict?? I absolutely need more battery power than this thing affords on its own, and I'm grabbing a case anyway (justifying the $80-100 price tag a bit).

PFD

I believe this is what you're looking for: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45
MD823

$30... What the fuck

^^ & ^^^, I used to have a CaseCrown Lux Slider for my iPhone 5 and it was by far the lightest and least obtrusive case I could find that still protected the corners + front edges.

Give it a shot.

Seriously... are there any cheaper unofficial alternatives that work well?

The unofficial alternatives will cause you headaches with iOS7. It will come up everytime you plug it in and ask if you trust the adapter. It's not worth trying to save $10.

Also, this particular adapter contains a DAC (for audio conversion). Buying a 3rd-party knockoff guarantees that you will get a crappy DAC (and therefore crappy sound).

kms_md

Mophie juice packs - verdict?? I absolutely need more battery power than this thing affords on its own, and I'm grabbing a case anyway (justifying the $80-100 price tag a bit).

i have the air version for the iphone 5 - i used it with my 5 last week when i was on a business trip in Baltimore. the reception overall in east harbor was horrible and it drained my battery pretty quickly. the mophie was a lifesaver and it worked as advertised.

i will be trying it out on my 5s on a trip to Boston next week and will report back. anecdotally, i have heard it works well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The unofficial alternatives will cause you headaches with iOS7. It will come up everytime you plug it in and ask if you trust the adapter. It's not worth trying to save $10.

Also, this particular adapter contains a DAC (for audio conversion). Buying a 3rd-party knockoff guarantees that you will get a crappy DAC (and therefore crappy sound).

Makes sense! Thanks for explaining that.

my girlfriend bought one for each of us couple months back and they work pretty good imo.

took it to disneyland a couple times and it was able to fully charge both our phones from ~10% with a good amount of charge still left in the mophie.

she has a 5 and i have a 4s (soon to be 5s once apple ships it)

for reference, this is what we have

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OW4BFE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've had the 5s for a full 24 hours now and I gotta say I love it. TouchID is super quick. It has messed up a few times when my finger is really off center, but I can already tell it is getting smarter compared to yesterday. Slow-mo video is neat, though I've only fucked around with it. I can't wait until I have a real reason to use it. I'm coming from a 4S so the biggest things to me are the larger screen and LTE speed. LTE is only about 5mbps slower than my wifi at home. That and the overall speed of the phone itself are great.

Anybody have good game recommendations? I've been playing PvZ2 and that's great fun, but I want something that will look really great on the 5S. I thought about getting Infinity Blade 3 but I'm just not that interested in it after playing the first two.

I

Anybody have good game recommendations? I've been playing PvZ2 and that's great fun, but I want something that will look really great on the 5S. I thought about getting Infinity Blade 3 but I'm just not that interested in it after playing the first two.

Asphalt 8 is pretty ballin'
though not 5s-specific.

Rootbeer

Banned
Will be so fucking glad when this Oracle thing is finished here in San Francisco. It's causing way huger than usual crowds around the Apple store since the event is nearby. Maybe the lines will be shorter :p

Enco

so i need a Micro Usb to Lightning Adapter for my car charger (upgraded from a 4). are the non-oem adapters serviceable? oem apple is always so pricey.

and in regards to the apple case...can someone go to a genius bar and ask them to show you how to take it off then report back lol
I didn't go to the genius bar but I was talking to someone on the staff and tried the case.

It looked great and felt nice but when she tried to remove it, I felt like the phone would snap in half.

Unbelievably hard to remove. I mean wow. She tried to push through the camera hole to get the phone out. Took a good few minutes of intense effort.

Oppo

What I've actually noticed is that things like direction-finding (facing) on Maps, and using AR-type apps like Sky Guide seem noticably more "solid" and less floaty/drifty than on the 4s. I attributed that to the motion co-proc.

So the fingerprint sensor has a success rate of about 50% for me. I've scanned in 2 or three versions of my thumb, hoping the increased range helps a little, but it's still consistently finicky enough to make it a disappointment. I'm hoping it's just because I have to press at a slightly elevated angle due to my case, but I feel like there's definitely enough of my thumb for a proper scan. Anyone have similar troubles?

So the fingerprint sensor has a success rate of about 50% for me. I've scanned in 2 or three versions of my thumb, hoping the increased range helps a little, but it's still consistently finicky enough to make it a disappointment. I'm hoping it's just because I have to press at a slightly elevated angle due to my case, but I feel like there's definitely enough of my thumb for a proper scan. Anyone have similar troubles?
Nope. Has worked great for me.

Quick

Banned

I've had to redo it a few times to get it just right with my grip.

vgJames

Banned
Still sat at awaiting dispatch for October for my 5S in the UK and my current phone has just about died and I feel I shall be mourning the majestic little bastard soon. R.I.P. BlackBerry Curve.

Oppo

Nah, it always works for me. To the point where I got suspicious.
I think it's only told me to "try again" once.

numble

If you know someone else with a 5S or live near an Apple Store, it might be worth it to test other models and see if your sensor is faulty.

Enco

Not sure if this is due to iOS 7 or the 5S but I'm getting random crashes and lockups.

Google Authenticator, Prismatic and safari all crash. Safari also has a tendency to lock up. As does Prismatic. Pretty pretty annoying.

mrkgoo

Small heads up, these converters do not work with the HDMI converters if you wanted to buy one instead of paying £40 for a lightning HDMI out cable :/

Thanks for the heads up. I have a lightning to dock connector adaptor, and was considering a lightning HDMI adaptor, but didn't even think of this option - but good to know if I did ever come up with it.

subrock

There really aren't any apple stores in your area that show "Available for in-store pickup" online?

Canada, and no, I live on an island with no Apple stores. Only place to get an unlocked one is online.

edit: to illustrate. (even if we had the instore availability option in Canada)
About 12 hours round trip and $60 on public transport. About 8 hours and $200 by car.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Anyone have the official 5s case? I want to know if it's worth buying.

Don't have my 5s yet, mind you. Case very much reminds me of the leather ipad covers. Just thick enough to keep form, but thin enough to still be minimalist. Scratches, scuffs, and smudges will only improve the look of the leather, and the inside felt material should be a good barrier to dirt and small particles. Satisfied with quality, but nothing orgasm inducing.

subrock

Don't have my 5s yet, mind you. Case very much reminds me of the leather ipad covers. Just thick enough to keep form, but thin enough to still be minimalist. Scratches, scuffs, and smudges will only improve the look of the leather, and the inside felt material should be a good barrier to dirt and small particles. Satisfied with quality, but nothing orgasm inducing.

is that the black one?

Juice

I didn't go to the genius bar but I was talking to someone on the staff and tried the case.

It looked great and felt nice but when she tried to remove it, I felt like the phone would snap in half.

Unbelievably hard to remove. I mean wow. She tried to push through the camera hole to get the phone out. Took a good few minutes of intense effort.

Removing the case is easy when you know the trick: while pushing the center back of the phone, pull back each corner to loose it and it'll pop out a bit. Finally bend the case a bit one last time and the phone will come out

One of the things I'm most surprised by coming from a 4S is just how much nicer the screen is. I didn't think it's be so noticeable. I'm also much happier with the front facing camera. You can take decent photos that don't automatically look like an over compressed gif. Progress!

Removing the case is easy when you know the trick: while pushing the center back of the phone, pull back each corner to loose it and it'll pop out a bit. Finally bend the case a bit one last time and the phone will come out

Just tested this and it worked like a charm! Thanks for sharing.

Cr0wn0

I picked up the black apple case tonight. I don't think it feels cheap at all. Just a smooth grippy leather. My only gripe is I think the lip could of come out a tiny bit more.

Top Bottom