• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

JDeluis

Nope - just the vanilla AT&T store nearby. The Apple store is like an hour away. Not making that drive!

Thanks. Good to know. I currently have a 5, but I'm thinking about trading an iPhone 4 32GB version I gave to my mom and use her account to do an upgrade. She in return would get my 5.

But after doing update to ios7, I don't know if I want to pay the difference for a 5S 32GB version.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone do a restore from iCloud backup when setting up their new 5s? My wife's phone is taking a really long time...I'm assuming this is normal when lots of pictures are involved?

Just got my iPhone. I installed the Facebook app but no icon is showing up on my main screen. I have no idea where to locate it. Any help would be awesome.

Anyone do a restore from iCloud backup when setting up their new 5s? My wife's phone is taking a really long time...I'm assuming this is normal when lots of pictures are involved?

My iCloud restores never included photos, but maybe that's because I was just using the free space.

But yeah, even with less info and no apps they take for ass ever in my experience.

subrock

you can always try hitting open from the app store link. Also, you may have just signed in through the settings, but not actually installed the app.

edit: or pull down anywhere on your home screen and search for it.

you can always try hitting open from the app store link. Also, you may have just signed in through the settings, but not actually installed the app.

edit: or pull down anywhere on your home screen and search for it.

The open icon is there in the app store but it does nothing when I hit it. It showed the icon on my mainscreen when it was downloading. When it finished downloading it disappeared. Tried searching for it but it didn't show.

Edit: I turned off the phone and turned it back on. It is now showing.

Husker86

God damn TouchID is fast.

Liking the phone, but, as I suspected, the size still bothers me. I really hope they at least have one model with a bigger screen next year. I think I'll be using this more than the few times a month I suspected though. Probably go 50/50 with my GS4.

New problem. Is the iPhone supposed to show up on iTunes automatically when I connect it to my computer? I connected it and nothing is showing up on iTunes. Do I have to manually add it somehow?

Anyone having any issues with TouchID? I can't reliably unlock the phone with it - maybe 1/4 tries it'll actually unlock without a passcode.

Are there any tips to using it? Ideally I'd be unlocking with my thumb flat on the button at close to 90 degrees.

Wiping the previous finger print off the sensor helps a bit but doesn't guarantee it'll work next try.

TUSR

Banned
Anyone having any issues with TouchID? I can't reliably unlock the phone with it - maybe 1/4 tries it'll actually unlock without a passcode.

Are there any tips to using it? Ideally I'd be unlocking with my thumb flat on the button at close to 90 degrees.

Wiping the previous finger print off the sensor helps a bit but doesn't guarantee it'll work next try.

use the tip of your thumb? Ive had it error out probably once.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Erase that print and rescan, if the new scan doesn't work reliably keep the new scan AND scan it a second time.

If none of that works... I dunno. Either your TouchID or your finger are defective. :p

Vyer

New problem. Is the iPhone supposed to show up on iTunes automatically when I connect it to my computer? I connected it and nothing is showing up on iTunes. Do I have to manually add it somehow?

Have you updated iTunes to 11.1? I think that's necessary to see a phone with iOS 7.

That's not normal. Might have a bad sensor.

Apath

Did you try getting the majority of your thumb's print surface on the scanner when registering? Can't say there has been any issues with the sensor on my end, and my phone has both thumbs and pointer fingers registered.

Erase that print and rescan, if the new scan doesn't work reliably keep the new scan AND scan it a second time.

If none of that works... I dunno. Either your TouchID or your finger are defective. :p

At this stage it could be either. Will try double scan my thumb and if that's no good I'll go back to the apple store on the weekend.

Did you try getting the majority of your thumb's print surface on the scanner when registering? Can't say there has been any issues with the sensor on my end, and my phone has both thumbs and pointer fingers registered.

Yeah I did. I have a bunch of trouble doing the first step of the scan so it could be faulty.

Some people's fingers just don't do prints well

If that's true, it may be time to start a life of crime

Have you updated iTunes to 11.1? I think that's necessary to see a phone with iOS 7.

Ah I have version 10. It keeps saying the server can't connect though so I will probably have to redownload it from the website.

I have heard that the carrier plans are big rip offs. I was going to get Apple Care instead of the Sprint carrier plan but Applecare doesn't support lost phones. Are all of the tracking apps good enough to feel safe about going with that instead?

Cloudy

Banned
God damn TouchID is fast.

Liking the phone, but, as I suspected, the size still bothers me. I really hope they at least have one model with a bigger screen next year.

Yeah especially if you've ever handled an S4. That is the perfect size for a phone

Vyer

Yeah especially if you've ever handled an S4. That is the perfect size for a phone

Nah, I wouldn't want a 5" phone. Wouldn't mind 4.3"-4.5" though.

Ah I have version 10. It keeps saying the server can't connect though so I will probably have to redownload it from the website.

I have heard that the carrier plans are big rip offs. I was going to get Apple Care instead of the Sprint carrier plan but Applecare doesn't support lost phones. Are all of the tracking apps good enough to feel safe about going with that instead?

I mean, the tracking definitely works, but it will vary as far as what happens after that. If you feel better with the carrier plan I'd go with that. For everything else though Applecare is great.

Didnt think to check the apple store for a phone, figured they would always be out. Been trying radioshack, best buy, att, etc since Friday. Called the apple store on a whim today and apparently they have a whoooooole bunch, went and picked one up today.

Love having a working home button again.

I have fingerprint turned on but It makes me still use my passcode to unlock. Am I doing something wrong?

When you first enroll a finger, the first time you unlock the device after that it will need the pass code.

After that first time, you'll be able to use Touch ID unless you rebooted the phone or it's been 48 hours since the last time you unlocked it.

amnesiac

My 5S is defective. Won't activate because Apple doesn't even have the SIM number in the database. They expect me to drive 45 minutes to the Apple store to get it replaced.

Maybe I should just get a different phone. Fuck this.

Vyer

My 5S is defective. Won't activate because Apple doesn't even have the SIM number in the database. They expect me to drive 45 minutes to the Apple store to get it replaced.

Maybe I should just get a different phone. Fuck this.

I don't think Apple has anything to do with actually activating a sim. When I was trying to get my wife's phone activated AT&T accidentally deactivated her new sim. I had to drive to the AT&T store for them to get another one and activate her service.

Now if the phone itself is defective and you bought it from Apple directly; yeah you'd have to go to an Apple Store.

amnesiac

Invalid SIM card error? Had that a few times.

I don't think Apple has anything to do with actually activating a sim. When I was trying to get my wife's phone activated AT&T accidentally deactivated her new sim. I had to drive to the AT&T store for them to get another one and activate her service.

Now if the phone itself is defective and you bought it from Apple directly; yeah you'd have to go to an Apple Store.

IDK, I talked with AT&T for an hour and they said it was up to Apple to fix it since it should be working. Apple told me that if AT&T can't get it fixed, I have to bring it in.

They said they don't even have the IMEI number in their database.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
IDK, I talked with AT&T for an hour and they said it was up to Apple to fix it since it should be working. Apple told me that if AT&T can't get it fixed, I have to bring it in.

Funny enough, I seem to run into issues like this constantly. It's extremely frustrating. I can't say for certain if it always falls on Apple (though, in once case, I'm positive it was their fault as they gave me an out-of-country phone). However, since I've only every had Apple smartphones, they have a bad rap in my book about general "getting it to freaking be usable on my account."

Just a heads up - if you're coming from a 5 (or any phone that uses nanosim), take the sim out of your old phone and put it into your new 5S. Turn off. Turn back on.

Vyer

Hmm, that is weird. You ordered the phone from Apple directly? What phone were you using previously?

EDIT: Yeah, I was asking because like Skel1ingt0n said above, if it's the same sim type and it's still active your old sim would work in it.

Juice

Didnt think to check the apple store for a phone, figured they would always be out. Been trying radioshack, best buy, att, etc since Friday. Called the apple store on a whim today and apparently they have a whoooooole bunch, went and picked one up today.

Love having a working home button again.

Both Easton and Polaris have been getting a ton of shipments since Friday. Scored mine just before open on Saturday. Yay!

Espresso

Banned
What's going on at the bottom of my tabs window?

2XfkmrK.jpg

iPhone 4S???

Cloud tabs. If you no longer have the 4S that will go away in about a week. If you still have the 4S connect to the internet and close all your tabs in safari.

amnesiac

Funny enough, I seem to run into issues like this constantly. It's extremely frustrating. I can't say for certain if it always falls on Apple (though, in once case, I'm positive it was their fault as they gave me an out-of-country phone). However, since I've only every had Apple smartphones, they have a bad rap in my book about general "getting it to freaking be usable on my account."

Just a heads up - if you're coming from a 5 (or any phone that uses nanosim), take the sim out of your old phone and put it into your new 5S. Turn off. Turn back on.

Hmm, that is weird. You ordered the phone from Apple directly? What phone were you using previously?

EDIT: Yeah, I was asking because like Skel1ingt0n said above, if it's the same sim type and it's still active your old sim would work in it.
I have a 4S... Maybe I should try exchanging the SIM.

edit: different size

Espresso

Banned
Both Easton and Polaris have been getting a ton of shipments since Friday. Scored mine just before open on Saturday. Yay!

Yeah, went to the Easton store, he said theyve been getting shipments daily and still havent worked through their monday shipment.

I found the 5s at other stores, but none for ATT.

Top Bottom