• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Just got the green 5S case. Didn't even know a green one existed until I saw it in the Apple store. It's not on the online store. Probably retailer exclusive.

Axion22

I used the TouchID demo app at the Store. After you're set up, it tells you to press your finger on the sensor, but then it just makes a green thumbprint logo. Release, "press your finger to the sensor." "OK good job!" *release* "press your finger to the sensor." "OK good job!" *release* "press your finger to the sensor."

Just that over and over. I could see that it was working (and quickly) but I think it's a bad demo cuz it doesn't show you what unlocking is really like.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just got the green 5S case. Didn't even know a green one existed until I saw it in the Apple store. It's not on the online store. Probably retailer exclusive.

Sounds like a third party 5 case. Can't find any evidence Apple makes a green leather 5s case, store exclusive, or not.

ramyeon

Now that i've opened the package it seems like it's the yellow one. The package is green though. My life is in shambles.
The packages are transparent aren't they? The one I ordered was. Like, you can see the case through the package although the card backing has a colour.

The background color of the package is clearly green. It still seems like it has a slight green tint to it though. Looks good either way on my black 5.

mr.beers

Just got the 5s love it but one issue. I have a GOgroove flex smart x2 in my car it worked great with the 4. I paired it with the 5s and music will play when I push play from the music app or use instacast app but I cannot use the controls on the device itself. Anyone have a idea why it won't work on the 5s?

Zapages

My Galaxy S2 is driving me nuts with its Google Framework crashing so much. I was thinking of waiting till next year for the Iphone 6 and its larger screen. But I don't know... Maybe I should switch over... I already have Mac Book Pro Retina.

How long does the Iphone 5s battery last?

Depends on how you use it , I can get about 8 hours of actual usage, and a ton of standby time. Starting at full, I go to work and get home it has about 70% leftover.

Quick

Banned
Depends on how you use it , I can get about 8 hours of actual usage, and a ton of standby time. Starting at full, I go to work and get home it has about 70% leftover.

I'm getting longer-lasting battery compared to my 4S.

I'm almost at 24 hours of standby with a little over 4 hours of usage, and I'm at 35%.

Maximus.

Upgraded from my 4s. I needed more storage space so it was a worthy upgrade. It's so fast, love the better screen and lighter weight and the touch Id is awesome.

amnesiac

So whenever someone tries to call me they get some random guy, but whenever I try to call them, they get me with the same number. Wtf?

Enco

Battery is slightly better than 4S.

I get around 6 hours of usage until death.

That includes heavy browsing and 3G.

potam

Banned
Well, 5sGAF, I think I'll be returning mine either tonight or tomorrow. I realized I really don't use my phone for much more than texting, calls, and occasional browsing (I knew this beforehand, but thought maybe a better phone would change it).

With the PS4 coming up, that $700 could be put to better use, such as a TV or Vita...or anything else really.

I'm sorry guys :(

mrkgoo

Well, 5sGAF, I think I'll be returning mine either tonight or tomorrow. I realized I really don't use my phone for much more than texting, calls, and occasional browsing (I knew this beforehand, but thought maybe a better phone would change it).

With the PS4 coming up, that $700 could be put to better use, such as a TV or Vita...or anything else really.

You should probably give it more of a chance before dismissing it, but I get that funds could go somewhere more used.

I personally love my smartphone. It makes organising my life easier with calendars and reminders on the go. An encyclopedia, dictionary, maps, directions at my fingertips at all times.

It means I don't have to organise myself as much and can concentrate on doing the stuff I need to as opposed to planning.

potam

Banned
You should probably give it more of a chance before dismissing it, but I get that funds could go somewhere more used.

I personally love my smartphone. It makes organising my life easier with calendars and reminders on the go. An encyclopedia, dictionary, maps, directions at my fingertips at all times.

It means I don't have to organise myself as much and can concentrate on doing the stuff I need to as opposed to planning.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I love this phone. But, this was something I was struggling with before buying the phone. I had been going back and forth about getting a new phone for about a month or two, almost buying both an HTC One and LG G2 (I would have, but they seemed to be pretty locked down and I don't want an Android device I can't mess with).

I'm just a gadget geek who really has no use for the gadgets. Hopefully I'll remember this the next time something new comes out.

Quadratic

Canadian online Apple store customers: If you ordered on Sept 20th, the phones have started shipping. Due for a ~Oct 3rd delivery instead of the estimated 10th-16th. I just got an email this morning saying my iphone has left China.

Robin64

Not sure I like how it handles slow motion video.

I copied the .mov file to my PC and it was just running at normal speed. I guess the video gets a header that tells the iPhone to play certain bits at 1/4 speed.

Does uploading to YouTube straight from the phone keep the slow motion info?

Vyer

I copied the .mov file to my PC and it was just running at normal speed. I guess the video gets a header that tells the iPhone to play certain bits at 1/4 speed.

I believe so. I think it's anything in the 'share sheet'. (Currently Facebook, Youtube, Vimeo)

My Galaxy S2 is driving me nuts with its Google Framework crashing so much. I was thinking of waiting till next year for the Iphone 6 and its larger screen. But I don't know... Maybe I should switch over... I already have Mac Book Pro Retina.

How long does the Iphone 5s battery last?

I'm getting around 7 hours after customizing my settings the way I want and with fairly heavy usage currently.

Blackhead

Redarse

How to post iPhone 5s slo-mo videos to Instagram and elsewhere
Macworld said:
How slo-mo works

Despite what you may think, Apple’s slo-mo mode doesn’t record in slow motion at all. Instead, it records in real-time, capturing more frames of motion than your eye can perceive.

Your average online video is displayed at 30 frames a second. The iPhone 5s camera takes four times that number, capturing 120fps (frames per second); as a result, 1/4th of a second has the same amount of frames that a regular second of video would have.

Played at its normal speed, 120 frames a second is awesome for filming things like sports, as you can see moves and plays more clearly. But for most, the fun comes when you slow it down. Apple has built software into the Camera and Photos apps that let you automatically slow a portion of your 120fps video so that it displays at 30fps—and make look really cool in the process, too.

Why slo-mo won’t upload

Unfortunately, Apple’s Slo-Mo tool only applies to clips that the Camera or Photos app exports—and the only way you can currently do that is through the Share sheet, which only supports YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo. Try and upload a video to a third-party app like Instagram, and all you can post is your 120fps source video...

Trick your phone and upload slo-mo video to Instagram
JUST USE YOUR iPHONE:
USE ANOTHER iOS DEVICE:

But what about my computer?

Yes, you’re going to run into the same problem downloading clips to your computer. The good news is that iMovie, Final Cut Pro X, and most other major movie-editing software have time-slowing modes—it just means that you have to import your clips there first...

Espresso

Banned
I've noticed that when my iPhone reaches 100%, the lightning bolt directly to the right of the battery indicator doesn't switch to a "plug". Is this something that Apple's changed?

Quick

Banned
I've noticed that when my iPhone reaches 100%, the lightning bolt directly to the right of the battery indicator doesn't switch to a "plug". Is this something that Apple's changed?

It'll just say "100% Charged" on the lock screen. Lightning bolt doesn't change.

potam

Banned
How slo-mo works

Despite what you may think, Apple’s slo-mo mode doesn’t record in slow motion at all. Instead, it records in real-time, capturing more frames of motion than your eye can perceive.

Your average online video is displayed at 30 frames a second. The iPhone 5s camera takes four times that number, capturing 120fps (frames per second); as a result, 1/4th of a second has the same amount of frames that a regular second of video would have.

Am I dumb, or doesn't all slow motion work that way? Or did people think it slowed down spacetime?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Am I dumb, or doesn't all slow motion work that way? Or did people think it slowed down spacetime?
I'm going to go ahead and assume most people have no idea how most things work.

Quick

Banned
I think I've narrowed down my selection of cases to the Incase Pro Snap Case and the official leather case (not sure what colour yet).

I didn't put a case on my 4S for most of the time I've had it, but the iPhone 5S seems like it could attract scratches and damages in general easier.

Yay! My first slow motion video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tucxKT-WMvQ

Mmm, tea...

I was playing around yesterday using the sprayer in the sink and the slow-mo. Ahhh the things you try when you get something new like this. Get to be a little kid and experiment.

Overall really liking it though it kinda makes me with I didn't spoil iOS7 on my 4S before the new phone. Would have felt more of an impact. That TouchID thing is crazy better than I thought (even though a lot of you on here mentioned it) though I keep clicking the button out of habit and getting Siri. Of which I start asking her dumb shit since I summoned her. My uses with Siri have never been as practical as the commercials.

Been trying to switch my space grey for gold or silver at the apple store no luck. When are they going to have stock laying around?

I only have another week to return.

How the fuck is it that 5/5s is able to run things smoothly with only 1gb of ram yet android phones with 2-3gb of ram with comparable CPUs fail to come close to this level of fluidity?

Deku Tree

On my first full charge of my 5S I got down to 17% battery and I got

7h9m of usage
23h32m of standby

Granted I was constantly messing with it. I hope to do much better than that though.

mf.luder

Canadian online Apple store customers: If you ordered on Sept 20th, the phones have started shipping. Due for a ~Oct 3rd delivery instead of the estimated 10th-16th. I just got an email this morning saying my iphone has left China.

Yep, got the email this morning, looking to arrive on Tuesday!

If you payed out of contract I completely understand.

Enco

On my first full charge of my 5S I got down to 17% battery and I got

7h9m of usage
23h32m of standby

Granted I was constantly messing with it. I hope to do much better than that though.
How?

What settings do you have? Do you turn on 3G?

I don't understand how I get 1-2 hours less than you and we both have the same phone.

Talon

How?

What settings do you have? Do you turn on 3G?

I don't understand how I get 1-2 hours less than you and we both have the same phone.
That's about the average usage I get on a 5.

7-11 hours of usage (depending on how much I'm browsing/how much time I'm on Wi-Fi).

kaskade

How the fuck is it that 5/5s is able to run things smoothly with only 1gb of ram yet android phones with 2-3gb of ram with comparable CPUs fail to come close to this level of fluidity?

Well for one I know TouchWiz (Galaxy phones) use quiet a bit. I saw a post that said that alone was using .9 gb of RAM. I'm on Cyanogenmod right now so I can't check my GS3. I think just the way iOS handles multitasking and what the OS uses just doesn't require as much.

it's easier to build a os for a number of different devices compare to a billion.

One of the benefits of Apple not only building the OS, but also building the hardware that it runs on. People may complain about the things Apple locks down, but it does have its advantages too.

J-Rod

Talking out my ass, but I suspect the way iOS handles multitasking is less ram heavy, too. Seems like it just takes a screenshot of the last state a program was in then restores it to that point when you actually open the app back up. That, versus actually having he program run in the background.

Emarv

Talking out my ass, but I suspect the way iOS handles multitasking is less ram heavy, too. Seems like it just takes a screenshot of the last state a program was in then restores it to that point when you actually open the app back up. That, versus actually having he program run in the background.

Yeah, there was a developer guy in the announcement thread that posted a lot about this. Can't find the exact post, but he mentioned that the way it handles multi-tasking, 2GB isn't really necessary at this point.

sikkinixx

Canada, and no, I live on an island with no Apple stores. Only place to get an unlocked one is online.

edit: to illustrate. (even if we had the instore availability option in Canada)
About 12 hours round trip and $60 on public transport. About 8 hours and $200 by car.

Serves you right for living on the rock.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure the apple store won't even sell you an unlocked phone. My dad wanted an unlocked iPhone 5 last year but they told him to buy online instead. He was less than impressed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It appears that there are complaints about the accelerometer/gyroscope/compass values being incorrect.
It appears that apple just can't get another launch right.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1644439

I dunno, depending on how I calibrate my phone (the turn it 360 degrees to roll the calibration ball around the screen), the angle reading is completely off. If I do the calibration tilting without tilting the phone depth-wise, the reading is correctly at -0 when level on my desk. If I carelessly/more quickly do the tilt calibration, then the angle reading can be way way off while level (5-10 degrees off).

Same on a 5 as a 4S..

Example from my 5:
iEUo48adoJWcY.jpg
iIr8gGvTd4Sa4.jpg

Top Bottom