• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Social

Talking out my ass, but I suspect the way iOS handles multitasking is less ram heavy, too. Seems like it just takes a screenshot of the last state a program was in then restores it to that point when you actually open the app back up. That, versus actually having he program run in the background.

It seems to work like in the previous versions though, it continues to run in the background until it requires more ram for another app, at that point it shuts something down.

Husker86

How the fuck is it that 5/5s is able to run things smoothly with only 1gb of ram yet android phones with 2-3gb of ram with comparable CPUs fail to come close to this level of fluidity?

By things do you mean third party apps or the OS itself?

Apps can come down to developers, as for the OS, my GS4 is just as smooth as my 5s. In fact, in the few days I've had so far with the 5s I've noticed several laggy moments when the homescreen is doing its (far too slow) icon animation.

One thing the iPhone still does better is 1:1 touch response though. Most noticeable in scrolling lists. That has nothing to do with RAM/power though; likely a low level OS difference.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mine's not, but my 4S' was. My 4S had a very slight amount of wiggle room. I mean very slight.

Yeah same here. There is some slight back and forth wiggle room. Not a big deal as I don't notice it unless I actively try and wiggle the button. Actually seems slightly easier to press down than the iphone 5 i have that is a bit firmer.

Vyer

Saw a silver 5s today, I like the ring around the fingerprint sensor also being silver. Nice touch. I really want to see a gold in person.

DukeSucks

Has anyone tried the leather case with the monoprice cables? Picked up a few of the cables, but haven't seen the case in person yet to see if the lightning adapter fits.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is it still necessary to drain to ~10% before recharging? My wife has 57% now and works tomorrow - is it bad to charge overnight to 100%?

First time using an iPhone. I have unlimited data and my cell connection is a lot stronger than my Wifi (DSL >.>, going to get cable soon).

I want to prioritize 4G/LTE, do I have to disable Wifi when doing so as apps like Speedtest seem to prioritize Wifi?

Husker86

First time using an iPhone. I have unlimited data and my cell connection is a lot stronger than my Wifi (DSL >.>, going to get cable soon).

I want to prioritize 4G/LTE, do I have to disable Wifi when doing so as apps like Speedtest seem to prioritize Wifi?

If you have WiFi on and in range of a known hotspot it will always use WiFi over mobile data, no matter the speed.

By things do you mean third party apps or the OS itself?

Apps can come down to developers, as for the OS, my GS4 is just as smooth as my 5s. In fact, in the few days I've had so far with the 5s I've noticed several laggy moments when the homescreen is doing its (far too slow) icon animation.

My s3 was never as fluid and smooth as my 5s. Same with my brother's S4. Same with my father's note 2. Same with my roommates HTC one. The only time I experienced remotely close to iOS's fluidity on android was with cynogen mod (terrible battery life) or pure google OS as with nexus 4 (no Verizon). Even with those I still have to deal with terrible touch response time. Yikes.

Husker86

My s3 was never as fluid and smooth as my 5s. Same with my brother's S4. Same with my father's note 2. Same with my roommates HTC one. The only time I experienced remotely close to iOS's fluidity on android was with cynogen mod (terrible battery life) or pure google OS as with nexus 4 (no Verizon). Even with those I still have to deal with terrible touch response time. Yikes.

Interesting. I use both regularly and Android is on iOS level as far as I can see (and when I talk about Android, I talk about current flagships. I have a Nexus 4 and S4 currently). Third party apps do sometimes have discrepancies though. But then you look at an app like Candy Crush which I assume is reasonably demanding but runs buttery smooth on both and you know Android as an OS is perfectly capable, but some developers just must not be able to squeeze out performance as easily.

I will find out for myself soon how different it is. I got an iPhone mainly to learn iOS development. Using it as my main phone for a while though.

Anyway. Battery life seems to have improved from what it was on my first day. I think I would now put it above my S4 where before it was definitely lesser. iOS still the king of standby drain (or lack thereof).

Husker86

What's a good percentage to charge it? I thought the more you charge it, the worst the battery gets? (the cycle).
I think lithium ion batteries perform best when charged between 80% & 100%. I have yet to experience noticeable battery decline in any of my phones though. Maybe it happens after a few years.

subrock

Holy shit yes phone just shipped. I think its going to be a little slower than my coworker's but fuck it, it's really happening!

Enco

These articles are pretty much bullshit.

Disable Wifi? Disable 3G? Disable background refresh? Disable iCloud? Disable iMessage and Facetime? Disable iTunes Match?

What the fuck is the point in a smartphone then? Get some 10 year old Nokia if you want battery life that'll last all week.

These articles are nothing more than click bait. They provide nothing of use.

News at 11: Turn off your phone to save battery

Haribo

Banned
I agree with Enco. Personally I have Bluetooth off as well as Siri's 'raise to speak'. Disable location services on apps like Facebook and just keep everything else on otherwise it defeats the point in having a smartphone. Had amazing battery life on my 5, funnily enough going to 3 improved it more then anything else because I wasn't always going into GPRS/EDGE areas and having the phone constantly search for 3G.

Incidentally, my iPhone has FINALLY been dispatched by Apple

Disable Wifi? Disable 3G? Disable background refresh? Disable iCloud? Disable iMessage and Facetime? Disable iTunes Match?

What the fuck is the point in a smartphone then? Get some 10 year old Nokia if you want battery life that'll last all week.

Lol

Thaedolus

Pretty much this. I don't understand the point of disabling features I like in order to squeeze out an extra couple minutes of battery life. I will say, coming from three androids in a row, the battery life of the 5S has been phenomenal...with light usage the battery hardly seems to drop, no matter the length of time that passes. I didn't plug it in last night and here I am typing away with over 80% charge. My Galaxy Nexus would be dead by morning had I not plugged it in. Yet here I am at over twelve hours since my last charge and I could probably go all day before needing to plug in. Why would I turn off features?

Deku Tree

So what did you do?

A lot of those seem to ruin the whole point of a smartphone.

There has to be another way to get another 1-2 hours of usage like everyone else.

Did you follow every step?

No I didn't follow every step.

But I did do things like turn off parallax, raise to speak, background refreshing and bluetooth. Personally I don't care about those. If I am in my car and I want to use my bluetooth to take a call then I'll just turn it on. Similar with the others. If I don't use it, then I'll turn it off to save battery. Oh I also turned off double notifications, I hate that. One notification is enought for me.

It doesn't ruin the point of having my iPhone if I'm not using it anyway.

Vyer

Yeah I don't bother with the more extreme stuff either. Main focus for me is looking at location services, notifications and background refresh and getting app specific. Some apps I just don't want/need to be hitting those services unless I want them to. Also the ads based system services as well.

That and brightness (full or nearly full brightness really feels unnecessary for me) and that's as much as I want to sacrifice for the most part.

Pretty much this. I don't understand the point of disabling features I like in order to squeeze out an extra couple minutes of battery life. I will say, coming from three androids in a row, the battery life of the 5S has been phenomenal...with light usage the battery hardly seems to drop, no matter the length of time that passes. I didn't plug it in last night and here I am typing away with over 80% charge. My Galaxy Nexus would be dead by morning had I not plugged it in. Yet here I am at over twelve hours since my last charge and I could probably go all day before needing to plug in. Why would I turn off features?

Yup. By all means, turn off features that you don't use, but for the most part Power Management is an Android problem.

Or at least it was. Is it still, with these 5" screen phones? I find it ridiculous that Android manufacturers are adding Quad-core 2.3GHz throttled ARM processors to their phones, that are way over the speeds ARM ever intended for phone or phablet form factors.

Most of my Android enthusiast friends also still are upgrading their phones at least once a year for whatever reason, while I've had no issues sitting on the same iPhone for at least 2 years. (Yes, this is anecdotal).

Magnus

Emphasis on light usage. Haha.

For me, by noon, I've probably been actively using my phone for half the time I've been up (so three hours of the screen being on, either for browsing, messaging, games, productivity, etc.).

Epix

My take on battery life.....If I can get through a day with all the major features enabled and without stressing over finding an outlet until I go to bed then it does it's job. Anything above that is gravy.

potam

Banned
Anyone know what the best way to wipe my phone is?

Should I reactivate my 4s and then wipe the 5s, or should I wipe the 5s and then reactivate the 4s?

Am I over-thinking this?

potam

Banned
Yes. Absolutely.

Apparently I wasn't :(

Reactivated 4s first, and then found I needed an Internet connection to complete the wipe (have to authorize with Apple account). Reactivated the 5s, but I guess since it involved activating a SIM card, it's stuck in some sort of limbo...now I've wiped the phone but can't activate the 4s again.

Deku Tree

Apparently I wasn't :(

Reactivated 4s first, and then found I needed an Internet connection to complete the wipe (have to authorize with Apple account). Reactivated the 5s, but I guess since it involved activating a SIM card, it's stuck in some sort of limbo...now I've wiped the phone but can't activate the 4s again.

Why did you wipe the phone first? That was your mistake. Take both phones to the store with you.

potam

Banned
Why did you wipe the phone first? That was your mistake. Take both phones to the store with you.

If I had wiped it first, there would be no problem. The issue lies in Verizon's account systems activating (or in this case, reactivating) SIM cards. Right now my line is "pending order", so I can't select it and switch back to the 4s.

edit: and it's not that big of a deal. I'm at work and stopping by Verizon on the way home anyways.

Top Bottom