• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Well Verizon sure has changed recently unless I just don't remember all these charges when I upgraded to my 4S.

I was going to order from their website and noticed you have to pay a $30 upgrade fee and I have read that there will be another $40 charge on my next bill for activation. On top of that they don't give you a discount online anymore it seems like they did when I bought a phone in the past. I tell ya with $70 just in fees on top of the $200 for the phone keeping the 4S just looks better and better...

That being said I know I will cave eventually.

Yeah I've never really understood the battery life complaints. Where are people that aren't near power for 10 hours a day actively using their phones.

I've got a dock at work, dock at home. As far as I'm concerned the iPhone has an unlimited battery life.

Does anyone know if they make a protector just for the camera lens? I am caseless and I hate putting my phone down knowing that the camera lens is touching a surface.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yeah I've never really understood the battery life complaints. Where are people that aren't near power for 10 hours a day actively using their phones.

I've got a dock at work, dock at home. As far as I'm concerned the iPhone has an unlimited battery life.
I can understand those complaints somewhat, considering not everyone has an office job. What I don't get is people that will complain "I went to bed and my phone was at 90%, and when I woke up, it was at 60%!" Who the hell doesn't charge their phone at night?

TwIsTeD

The only part of ordering iPhones online from Apple I hate....you can't return or exchange in store so my Silver 64gb got delivered with my upgrade and I cant do a swap for the Gold one I bought in store.

Threw it on eBay undercutting everyone else...at least my silver one will cost alot less afterwords

numble

I agree with Enco. Personally I have Bluetooth off as well as Siri's 'raise to speak'. Disable location services on apps like Facebook and just keep everything else on otherwise it defeats the point in having a smartphone. Had amazing battery life on my 5, funnily enough going to 3 improved it more then anything else because I wasn't always going into GPRS/EDGE areas and having the phone constantly search for 3G.

Incidentally, my iPhone has FINALLY been dispatched by Apple

Bluetooth shouldn't be draining much of your battery. I'd discourage turning it off because features like AirDrop and iBeacon rely on it.

bionic77

Bluetooth shouldn't be draining much of your battery. I'd discourage turning it off because features like AirDrop and iBeacon rely on it.
I disagree.

I always see it killing my battery. Control Center gives me the one thing I always wish I had from Android because I like toggling BT on and off for just when I need it.

Then again I don't know what iBeacon is so maybe I don't know what I am missing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Any news about Sweden yet?

Talon

I disagree.

I always see it killing my battery. Control Center gives me the one thing I always wish I had from Android because I like toggling BT on and off for just when I need it.

Then again I don't know what iBeacon is so maybe I don't know what I am missing.
BTLE is super low energy use. That's what Airdrop uses to handshake.

Unfortunately, the things you use bluetooth right now - headsets, keyboards, etc. are not BTLE. Yet.

Sanic

Unfortunately, the things you use bluetooth right now - headsets, keyboards, etc. are not BTLE. Yet.

I had never heard of BTLE, but i'm reading up on it now and it's been around a long time. Why aren't these common devices using it?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
BTLE is super low energy use. That's what Airdrop uses to handshake.

How much of a drain is leaving BT on, not connected to anything though? It seems like most people suggesting turning BT off assume no connected devices.

Talon

I had never heard of BTLE, but i'm reading up on it now and it's been around a long time. Why aren't these common devices using it?
I mostly said that to Bionic because people don't buy bluetooth headsets on a year-to-year basis, and the best one out there is still three years old.

Bluetooth 4.0 as a spec has been around for a long time - it's been in since the iPhone 4S. However, the device radios have been steady - I think May of 2012 was when they started coming out.

There are no Bluetooth 4.0 spec'd keyboards that I know of right now but, again, these are devices that people aren't buying on a year-to-year basis.

Vyer

The only time I use Bluetooth is connecting in my car, and I have a charger in there anyway. I don't know if just having Bluetooth on is a big drain or not, but since the car auto connects when I get in I prefer to leave it on.

jts

...hate me...
2 questions for 5s owners:

-Fingerprint authentication gets your through Find my Friends and Find my Phone, right?
-How many trusted people does it allow to have?

SuperPac

2 questions for 5s owners:

-Fingerprint authentication gets your through Find my Friends and Find my Phone, right?
-How many trusted people does it allow to have?

1 - no. Just your lock screen and iTunes Store authentication.

2 - up to 5 fingerprints. You could potentially do prints from 4 different people.

jts

...hate me...
1 - no. Just your lock screen and iTunes Store authentication.

2 - up to 5 fingerprints. You could potentially do prints from 4 different people.
Okay, thanks. Kinda bummer at the first part, thought it would authenticate anything that requires your Apple ID.

Deku Tree

Google. It is some kind of an location based Ad service that stores etc can send info to your phone while you are in their store or in the ballpark or something. I don't really feel like I am missing much in terms of iBeacon by turning off my bluetooth at the moment.

Went to Apple store yesterday and there was a line for about four hours. Don't care that much so went to the AT&T store next door and just ordered through them... The salesman guy told me it would ship in one to two weeks but later that day I got confirmation email that is telling me November ship. Is this accurate? Or is AT&T covering their bases by not setting people up for possible disappointment? Also is it legal for the salesman to lie like that? I don't care that much but still seems kind of unethical.

northead

Great article. We were discussing it at work the other day. What part do you want to know more about? I thought he explained it pretty simply.

I got the main points because I read similar articles in simpler words, but there are still many things I just do not know/understand.
I'd like to know (in truly simple words, or metaphors if necessary) what this switch truly means to the average user, and weather this was a good move Apple made or not.

For what I have understood, it is indeed a good move, but maybe a bit too much forward thinking and not extremely necessary...?

mrkgoo

Okay, thanks. Kinda bummer at the first part, thought it would authenticate anything that requires your Apple ID.
Technically, I assume it kind of DOES work with find my friends.

Previously on iOS 6 (and I assume currently since the app hasn't updated), you would have to sign in every time you used find my friends UNLESS you had a pass code on your phone.

I never had a pass code, so I found it annoying. I eventually turned on pass code and set it for 4 hours lol, just so I didn't have to log into find my friends all the time.

Spin imagine on the 5s, by having touch ID (and therefore the pass code) turned on, you don't have to log in to find my friends once logged in.

Ninja Dom

Hi guys, today I did a few tests with my iPhone 5S slow motion video.

Ok. So the 5S can do slow motion videos and these are recorded at 720p and 120fps. Now a 20 second clip in slow motion mode takes up about 72Mb of data. This in itself is much too large to email or to iMessage. I've not seen if Airdrop allows it - I assume it does. So when you do email or iMessage the video the 5S compresses the entire video down to around 480p and 30fps. It also keeps the slow motion section of the video intact. Filesize of a 20 second video drops dramatically down to about 3Mb for 20 seconds.

Here's another thing. While the 5S records the slow mo videos in 120fps I don't think it actually plays it back at 120fps direct on the device. It only plays back at 60fps according to Apple website tech specs. But that isn't really important.

Now if I hook my 5S up to my Mac I can import the slow mo video into Aperture or iPhoto. When I do this I keep the entire full quality 120fps, 720p video. From here I can export the video to my Mac desktop but I lose the slow motion section of the video. I can manually re-add the slow motion section by importing the movie as a project into iMovie. Doing this gets me to keep the 720p aspect but lose the 120fps as iMovie imports video clips into projects at 30fps max.

Anyway, I'll keep trying and post more observations as I find things out.

Check out a slow motion video I recorded on my 5S and then uploaded to YouTube in HQ direct from the 5S over wifi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0ZXcXqm5U

Magnus

I can't find a case I like for my life. I actually just paid $100 for the Mophie Juice Pack Air because it was the first case I actually liked the look and feel of and the battery juice is just so awesome. But I do feel ripped at that price.

Help my sorry ass: any recommendations? I was totally gonna go Speck again but all anyone seems to have is the CandyShell which makes the phone feel like a fucking toy.

:(

First world probs, I know.

giga

I can't find a case I like for my life. I actually just paid $100 for the Mophie Juice Pack Air because it was the first case I actually liked the look and feel of and the battery juice is just so awesome. But I do feel ripped at that price.

Help my sorry ass: any recommendations? I was totally gonna go Speck again but all anyone seems to have is the CandyShell which makes the phone feel like a fucking toy.

Magpul

amnesiac

Official iphone case from apple. Nice feel, has apple logo, and doesn't ruin the look of the phone like a lot of cases do.

kaskade

Man the more I see of it the more I'm kind of digging the space grey. I ordered gold but since I have no idea if it's shipping I might search around tomorrow and if they have a grey in stock just buy it. Not sure though. I love the look of the full black face when it's off but iOS7 looks like it goes a bit more with white. Plus the gold is new. decisions.

Magnus

Official iphone case from apple. Nice feel, has apple logo, and doesn't ruin the look of the phone like a lot of cases do.

I seriously can't drop $45 on a case that does nothing but be a case. It's just too much, haha.

More my speed, for sure. Would love to actually handle one and try it before buying though. I'll have a look and see if they're in stores to try one out.

Thanks!

I'm seriously falling in love with this juice pack though. Whoever said that battery level directly correlates with personal happiness throughout the day was right; sitting at 100% this late in the day feels great. Haha.

I may need to stick with this but just find a better price than $100. Amazon has it for $75 but the shipping to Canada....oy.

mrkgoo

I wonder if the juice packs cause battery damage in the long term due to excessive topup charging and not actually using the battery much.

I know the iPhone shuts off charging when topped out, but the tip end trickle charging on their laptops really messed with those batteries.

I guess it depends on how you use it. Maybe if you went through te battery as well as the juice pack every day it would be fine.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
jtVtUQS.gif

Top Bottom