• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

I'm torn over which color to get. Space grey or gold? I was really, really impressed with the gold when I saw it in person. Was not expecting to like it. Even the grey looked a lot better in person than in pictures. Leaning towards gold. It looks new and different, and something about ios 7 just looks better on a white phone.

Cool thanks. Guess I'll set my alarm early to check it out

It's working now. Not sure if/when inventory will be updated (or if it already was, last year it was updating at 10pm local time). Had it selected to drive all the way across LA county for a sec, but thought better of it considering my schedule tomorrow.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Battery life kind of meh so far so decided to get a portable battery for occasional days when I'm expecting it to run out.

9225530648_1771540096_z.jpg

Wow I fell asleep around when it went up then :/

I just woke up and gold is sold out . I was about to settle for a silver but decided against it and watched them all slowly go out of stock lol. Still an abundance of space black though in NYC.

Friggz

im looking to resell the gold 5s i purchased off the apple site, would it be as simple as selling it when right when it shows up in the mail? or do i need to do something to it first? phone doesnt come activated does it? (ive never purchased a phone off a website, so pardon my ignorance)

Sanic

Are there any see through, rubber-like cases available? Or plastic I guess, if nothing else.

I generally don't use cases and i've always been fine, but I've got scuffs/scratches around the edges and I might want to avoid that this time around. I'm looking for pure utility with minimal impact to aesthetics.

That's what I did but I'm just wondering how long it'll before it moves past the processing items portion so that I can actually go down to the store and pick it up.

Battery life kind of meh so far so decided to get a portable battery for occasional days when I'm expecting it to run out.

9225530648_1771540096_z.jpg

Having owned the 3GS and 4S, I picked up the 5S on Friday. I thought the battery sucked on my 4S, but the 5S battery is disappointing. Does the Galaxy S3/4 also have battery life similar to the iPhone? I'm not on my phone the whole time causing it to drain. I shut off any apps from running if they do not need to be. I always run my batteries down to empty and then recharge to help strengthen it. It's just disappointing that these batteries aren't any better at this point.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Having owned the 3GS and 4S, I picked up the 5S on Friday. I thought the battery sucked on my 4S, but the 5S battery is disappointing. Does the Galaxy S3/4 also have battery life similar to the iPhone? I'm not on my phone the whole time causing it to drain. I shut off any apps from running if they do not need to be. I always run my batteries down to empty and then recharge to help strengthen it. It's just disappointing that these batteries aren't any better at this point.

I think batteries are improving slightly, just not at the same pace as everything else that uses the battery haha.

And yeah I don't know if the 5S battery is supposed to be better or worse or the same, mine just drains pretty quickly I find. Mind you, my 4 was used mostly for browsing and texting and frequent but short usage whereas my 5 is being used for maps all the time around Tokyo, pretty frequently on a 45min train right, streaming from Soundcloud non stop, more often as a camera, blah blah.

Husker86

Doing the bolded technically lowers Lithium-Ion battery life, even if just a bit.

My GS4 and iPhone 5 have almost the exact same battery life.

cchum

Good to rejoin the ios/5s team. Like and respect Android, but it's too much trouble fooling around with it.

IOS 7 brings the things that were missing for me: control center, better multitasking.

Freaking finger sensor that actually works is amazing. Way better than I thought it would be.

Just got my space gray in the mail today woot! (I honestly think its ugly as sin though, would have preferred an all black like the work of art that is the iPhone4S)

My girlfriend and I ordered them together at an AT&T store. They said it was going to be about 4 weeks to get them in on a worst case scenario. It told me it was going to ship October 24 - November 11. I got mine today (about a week later).

Hers is a Gold 16gb, and it says its going to ship late October to mid November. Now I know that the Gold is more difficult to get and more popular but does anyone has any experience or had the same time frames but got theirs early? Shes like REALLY excited to get it and the wait is killing her.

...any ideas?

Synless

I got my wife a new phone and for some reason all of her ringtones are gone, they don't show up in her purchased section either. How do I get them back?

tsumineko

Has anyone tried this case from Lunatik and how was it?

Lunatik Case

These look pretty awesome. I found the Lunatik Strike's on ebay for a good price, so I ordered one to see what it's like. They look huge and heavy, which is why I will probably stick with my Apple leather case usually, but that heavy duty design looks really cool. Like something from Eva.

I got the white version. $35 AUD shipped.

mrkgoo

It's amazing how small the iPhone 4 looks after getting used to the 5.
The same thing can be said of the iPhone 5 after using a larger screen android.

Seriously, you can deride larger phones, but really it's hard to really say that just by looking or even holding. You have to actually use it for a while and you can come to appreciate it.

Husker86

It's amazing how small the iPhone 4 looks after getting used to the 5.

Doing my first switch back to the GS4 from my 5s and it really makes me hope Apple goes a bit bigger next year; at least as a separate model. I know some people still like the 3.5" after upgrading, but it's clear the large majority like the new 4" size...and I promise you it doesn't stop there.

Having said that, I personally would put the GS4's 5" screen as just a hair too big. And this is coming from someone who has used it extensively, not someone who saw it at a store and immediately wrote it off. I think 4.7" is probably the sweet spot, but I'd be happy with a 4.5" iPhone.

I'm going to keep going back and forth between the 5s and GS4 so I can shower myself in the goodness of both sides.

tsumineko

Doing my first switch back to the GS4 from my 5s and it really makes me hope Apple goes a bit bigger next year; at least as a separate model. I know some people still like the 3.5" after upgrading, but it's clear the large majority like the new 4" size...and I promise you it doesn't stop there.

I went from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Note 1 a while ago, it was too big for me. The thing I like about the iPhone 5s is the increase in the screen's length. Allows you to see previous messages while typing new ones, etc. I wonder if anyone feels the same?

giga

The same thing can be said of the iPhone 5 after using a larger screen android.

Seriously, you can deride larger phones, but really it's hard to really say that just by looking or even holding. You have to actually use it for a while and you can come to appreciate it.
I used a nexus 4 for a while. It was difficult to hit some ui targets one handed. It was especially worse because android apps put their controls up top.

I think id be happy with 4.3".

mrkgoo

I used a nexus 4 for a while. It was difficult to hit some ui targets one handed. It was especially worse because android apps put their controls up top.

I think id be happy with 4.3".
I actually find the iPhone 5 screen to large sometimes for one handed use. I have to shift it up and down in my hand.

I still prefer a smaller sized phone and perhaps a 4.3 " would be perfect. I love the 16:9 ratio for a phone.

I actually find the iPhone 5 screen to large sometimes for one handed use. I have to shift it up and down in my hand.

I still prefer a smaller sized phone and perhaps a 4.3 " would be perfect. I love the 16:9 ratio for a phone.

Perhaps Apple should come up with 2 different sizes for iPhone 6 like how Samsung does with their mini galaxy series.
-the original iphone size (4S-2g)
-the new size (4.5" hopefully)

But I doubt this will happen since Apple won't get rid of iphone 5/5s size

subrock

I'm one of you now! Phone just arrived! Touch is has been a bit glitchy for me in recognizing different angles of my thumb but I saved 3 versions of my right thumb and it seems to be a bit more reliable now.

subrock

This shit is crazy crazy fast. Loving using it. Also, coming from a 4s with an underperforming home button makes this home button feel like one if those dog training clickers.

Quick

Banned
Now that I have for a week officially, I have to say that the battery life is better on this than my 4S. I've gone by more than a day or so without charging.

What are the best apps to download in order to track down my phone in case it is lost or stolen?

Also, does anyone recommend planner apps that work better than the Calander/Reminder app combo already on the phone?

Top Bottom