• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

What are the best apps to download in order to track down my phone in case it is lost or stolen?

Also, does anyone recommend planner apps that work better than the Calander/Reminder app combo already on the phone?

Find My iPhone is built into the phone, find it in the iCloud settings. It's good because no one can wipe or activate the phone without your Apple ID. You turn it on, and then you can access it from another iPhone or from iCloud.com.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I decided on this over any other phone out at the moment. Now just to wait for my color. Already have a few cases and everything.

damisa

I really wanted to get a gold or a silver iphone if gold was unavailable. So I have been searching in stores and checking Apple's website for the last few days. I even got up a couple hours early to check online since I heard a rumor that's when stock gets in. All with no luck.

Then on a random whim, at ~2:30pm while at work, I checked the apple website. I wasn't expecting anything, surely any stock will have long sold out by 2:30...and I found a gold iphone in stock! I couldn't believe it. I quickly queued into buying it, while still filling out the forms, I checked 2 minutes later and they were sold out. Luckily mine was still reserved as I was filling out the forms.

When I picked up the phone later, the girl at the apple store told me they put the stock online around 2:30pm and only 5 gold iphones had come in among the dozens of others colors.

mrkgoo

Siri is revelation for those small things.

IT's not quite 100%, so it kind of sucks for more long form stuff, but I do use it to add stuff to a shopping list. Now that I'm in the habit of checking that list every time I'm at the market, I don't forget as much stuff now!

when are carrier stores (e.g. Sprint) expected to have 5s's back in stock?

No idea but I hope you have a better experience than me with Sprint. Had so much trouble getting my phone from them.

Edit: Word of advice, call them every day after you pre order. Doesn't matter where you are on the list. Just do it. Ask them every day if they got any phones in stock and where are you on the list.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I stood outside the operator shop and waited for them to open the doors... Then I went in, bought my phone, went out and opened it - and to my surprise, the screen was cracked! I went back inside to replace it and they told me it's not possible, and that I was fucked.

:( silly 5s dreams...

Quick

Banned
So I stood outside the operator shop and waited for them to open the doors... Then I went in, bought my phone, went out and opened it - and to my surprise, the screen was cracked! I went back inside to replace it and they told me it's not possible, and that I was fucked.

What the hell.

"Not possible" meaning they can't replace it due to low stock, or because of some policy?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Do you have to hit the sleep/wake button then hold the home button for TouchID unlock or can you just hold the home button straight from sleep?

Fletcher

Argg. I'm so tempted to get one tomorrow, but a 16gb space grey would cost me $400 and I don't need to spend the money. I have an HTC One, but really miss using iOS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the hell.

"Not possible" meaning they can't replace it due to low stock, or because of some policy?
Haha! Sorry, 'twas all a dream!

sirap

This shit is crazy crazy fast. Loving using it. Also, coming from a 4s with an underperforming home button makes this home button feel like one if those dog training clickers.

YES! The 4s's home button had to much dampening and felt mushy. The 5s's feels solid and has a nice click, probably the best thing about it so far (for me)

Luthair

These look pretty awesome. I found the Lunatik Strike's on ebay for a good price, so I ordered one to see what it's like. They look huge and heavy, which is why I will probably stick with my Apple leather case usually, but that heavy duty design looks really cool. Like something from Eva.

I got the white version. $35 AUD shipped.

I ordered a black Strike one, It arrived but I don't have my Iphone from Verizon yet. Looks pretty good, a little big but very visually pleasing. Its no more bigger than the Otter commuter case I had on my Galaxy S3

tsumineko

I ordered a black Strike one, It arrived but I don't have my Iphone from Verizon yet. Looks pretty good, a little big but very visually pleasing. Its no more bigger than the Otter commuter case I had on my Galaxy S3

Wonderful. Good luck with it. When I get mine I'll post pics of it installed, I hope you wouldn't mind posting some too when your iPhone arrives.

ido

Strange... my carrier is selling the 5S for $149 with a contract, and the 5C for $49.99 with a contract.

Carrier name is C Spire. I just might take the plunge on this, as that's really not a bad price at all.

The 32/64 GB models scale exactly the same, too. $249, $349.

JDIyqLY.png

Lo-Volt

Strange... my carrier is selling the 5S for $149 with a contract, and the 5C for $49.99 with a contract.

Carrier name is C Spire. I just might take the plunge on this, as that's really not a bad price at all.

The 32/64 GB models scale exactly the same, too. $249, $349.

I thought that was just a C Spire thing? Smaller carriers sometimes have a habit of doing that (Virgin Mobile USA is selling the 5s and 5c for $100 under the MSRP).

ido

I thought that was just a C Spire thing? Smaller carriers sometimes have a habit of doing that (Virgin Mobile USA is selling the 5s and 5c for $100 under the MSRP).

It probably is, but it's strange because they originally sold the 4S for $199, and the 5 for $199. Pretty nice to see the price drop on these newer phones. As soon as they restock, I may have to jump on it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Kinda in a bad position because the only time i'm available to go in-store to check for stock is when they first open at 9am... i've been going every day and they never have stock. And no, I can't order online cause I'm required to pay a 500 fee cause bad credit etc., was really hoping that now that online orders are open again that in-store stock would catch up... but so far it hasn't.

When the 4S launched I was able to walk in a few days after launch and buy a 64gb no problem with no line. Don't know why the 5s seems dramatically more popular... is fingerprint reading tech really doing it for that many people?

Luthair

Kinda in a bad position because the only time i'm available to go in-store to check for stock is when they first open at 9am... i've been going every day and they never have stock. And no, I can't order online cause I'm required to pay a 500 fee cause bad credit etc., was really hoping that now that online orders are open again that in-store stock would catch up... but so far it hasn't.

When the 4S launched I was able to walk in a few days after launch and buy a 64gb no problem with no line. Don't know why the 5s seems dramatically more popular... is fingerprint reading tech really doing it for that many people?

Same here, When I got a 4S I was forced to get a 64gb one but they had them in stock. I am not sure what is happening with the 5s. Maybe a lot of converts back from Android? Or did people wait till there as enough changes to finally make the jump off the 4 and 4s to the 5s. The 4 series held up really well and I still know people who love them.

Canceled my online order because it was in stock at my local store and it became unavailable during checkout... Damn it. Now if I wanted to order again, I'd be at the end of the queue.

J-Rod

The apple store seems to update its inventory at 1:00pm CST. At least it appears it has for the past couple of days.

Wtf? How is that even possible....why are they not willing to exchange?

Edit: Dammit just saw your second post lol

Oppo

No, before you push it. As soon as you touch the ring on your home button, it activates touch ID system

I think you are mistaken. If the phone is asleep, and you just rest your finger on the button, nothing happens. You have to click it first and then leave it there for a sec. Which is as it should be.

ultra7k

got mine the other day, ordered it online on release day, and was probably a few minutes late to the party.

Originally had an arrival day of October 10th, got it on October 1st. I guess they are catching up to demands?

kaskade

Seems like there's no backorder on the Space Grey from Tmo and I haven't heard anything regarding my gold. Should I just got for the grey? The more I see it the more it's growing on me. I figured I could order it and if the gold happens to ship I could cancel the other. I like them both.

Nevermind, now it's on a backorder again. Should've did it when I posted.

Kudos to whoever that Gaffer was that made the thread about trading in his iPhone at Gamestop. I upgraded from a 4S to 5S and was looking into getting the most value with little risk for my 4S. With the current additional 30% promo, GS gave me $350 for my 32GB 4S. That's more than any other place including eBay seems to be paying for them. I also followed another Gaffer tip and put it all towards Amazon gift cards. :D

This phone is super fast and sleek. It makes my old 4S feel like a brick in comparison. And going to LTE is great, too. I actually get better reception in areas that were spotty on 3G, so LTE coverage seems to be better where I use it. Speeds vary by location of course, but I've gotten Speedtest results of up to 40Mbps down on LTE. Pages that used to take a while to load on the 4S come up almost instantly on the 5S.

I ordered the 64GB Space Grey online with AT&T and got it in less than 2 weeks. But I ordered my wife a 64GB Gold and it's estimated to ship around end of October. I placed my orders late on launch day.

I think you are mistaken. If the phone is asleep, and you just rest your finger on the button, nothing happens. You have to click it first and then leave it there for a sec. Which is as it should be.

Works faster that way on my 5S. I place my thumb for half a second before pressing the home button. Throws me in faster.

It worries me that Apple still isn't giving a date range other than October on my gold 32GB from launch morning.

Damn Best Buy to hell for screwing me on in-store pick up (canceling my order at 9am) and forcing me to the back of the line at Apple.com and screw me for being greedy and going for instant gratification rather than getting it shipped from Apple from the get go.

Top Bottom