• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Husker86

Works faster that way on my 5S. I place my thumb for half a second before pressing the home button. Throws me in faster.

I'm seeing no difference after several tests each way. However, even if there were a difference, you're still waiting the same amount of time. If you wait to push the home button then you're delaying anyway.

amrihua

Can someone help me understand the advantage of 64-bit in a smart phone? I understand the benefits in a desktop... but in a smart phone???

Future-proofing. The transition to 64bit is happening sooner or later, and who is complaining about an extra performance boost, 64bit is not only about how much memory you can address.

ChRoNiTe

Upgraded from a 4s and loving it so far.

I thought I read somewhere that the iWork apps would become free for new device purchases? All the apps are showing prices when I try to download them. Any special code you need to enter or something?

amnesiac

Upgraded from a 4s and loving it so far.

I thought I read somewhere that the iWork apps would become free for new device purchases? All the apps are showing prices when I try to download them. Any special code you need to enter or something?

I got them by using the App Store app and viewing the app information. It says it is free once you are in that screen.

subrock

plastik

October 1 was my Sprint upgrade eligibility date, so I wanted to upgrade from my 4s the first chance I got. I was able to walk into Best Buy and grab one in 64GB. They only had space gray in that size, so i settled. I also had a $50 gift card reserved from an offer earlier this year, which I applied to the purchase.

Sprint has begun LTE upgrades in my city, so I'm able to get LTE coverage in certain spots. It's a nice upgrade from Sprint's extremely slow 3G. Improves on the 4s in everyway.

mojiimbo

Kudos to whoever that Gaffer was that made the thread about trading in his iPhone at Gamestop. I upgraded from a 4S to 5S and was looking into getting the most value with little risk for my 4S. With the current additional 30% promo, GS gave me $350 for my 32GB 4S. That's more than any other place including eBay seems to be paying for them. I also followed another Gaffer tip and put it all towards Amazon gift cards. :D.
They didn't restrict you to using the credit towards a PS4 or XB1? Amazon credit would be more useful but this new promo isn't bad either.

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/30-trade

Majine

Banned
What is it that made this launch so bad in terms of roll-out? For the iPhone 5, my country got the phone a week later after the first wave, now it's been like 3 weeks and no word yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh shit. The 5S and 5C were just released on Virgin for $100 off.

I was totally expecting it to be next June. I mean the only got the 5 in June and the 4S last June. Damn. I was not expecting it to be so soon.

No. I must not buy it now. I must wait. But I want it. Though if I could hold off until next year maybe they'll get the 6 next October too. That 5S is pretty tempting.

If only I could trade my Virgin 4S back for a hundred or so. Hopefully this comes to RadioShack soon and has the same price.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/02/iphone-5c-5s-launch-on-virgin-mobile-for-100-off/

Oppo

Works faster that way on my 5S. I place my thumb for half a second before pressing the home button. Throws me in faster.

it seems exactly the same to me. probably slower because I give it more time "ahead" of clicking than it wants.

Anyone else having freezing issues? My 5S froze on me 4 times so far and had to do a hard reset each time. Also tried resetting the settings. No luck.

I have had a few, yes. iOS 7 definitely has some issues. Nothing terrible but frankly surprising since iOS was so stable before. I hope they fix it soon.

it seems exactly the same to me. probably slower because I give it more time "ahead" of clicking than it wants.

I have had a few, yes. iOS 7 definitely has some issues. Nothing terrible but frankly surprising since iOS was so stable before. I hope they fix it soon.

When I hook it up to my car's aux in port I could hear when touch ID is working. 3 beeps are heard when I place my thumb half a second before I press my home button to unlock and 4 beeps for others.

Quadratic

I got my iphone 5s in the mail yesteday and I'm currently rocking it naked until my skins finally ship. It's a nice piece of tech.

I'm still getting used to the ios7 UI. I mainly listen to podcasts and I was surprised I needed to download a seperate pocast app. I used to listen via the music menu.

I need to get an LTE plan. I'm currently on an old 3G one. Is the difference massive? Because I'm on a sweet 3G plan and I'm worried if I upgrade to LTE I'll lose my 6GB download limit.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If I buy a 5s and remove my line with it's unlimited plan from my dad's family plan to have my own account at&t wont fuck me right? I want my unlimited datas.

My Gold 64GB just shipped!!!
from China

hopefully I get it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

When did you order?

Also would be great if everyone mentioned that when an order ships. Helps the rest of us either get excited or have our hopes crushed of getting ours any time soon.

amnesiac

Kudos to whoever that Gaffer was that made the thread about trading in his iPhone at Gamestop. I upgraded from a 4S to 5S and was looking into getting the most value with little risk for my 4S. With the current additional 30% promo, GS gave me $350 for my 32GB 4S. That's more than any other place including eBay seems to be paying for them. I also followed another Gaffer tip and put it all towards Amazon gift cards. :D

This phone is super fast and sleek. It makes my old 4S feel like a brick in comparison. And going to LTE is great, too. I actually get better reception in areas that were spotty on 3G, so LTE coverage seems to be better where I use it. Speeds vary by location of course, but I've gotten Speedtest results of up to 40Mbps down on LTE. Pages that used to take a while to load on the 4S come up almost instantly on the 5S.

I ordered the 64GB Space Grey online with AT&T and got it in less than 2 weeks. But I ordered my wife a 64GB Gold and it's estimated to ship around end of October. I placed my orders late on launch day.
Does GameStop give credit or cash?

The Chef

I'm just waiting for when I can just walk in an Apple Store and buy it.

Is this still a problem? Apple store near me had a bunch of every color :/

I have been rocking a 4 since...well when it came out. Yesterday I went to get a 5s. I picked it up and came to a shocking realization.....its just an iPhone 5. It looks the same, feels the same weights nothing. I dont know what I expected honestly. Some dazzling new phone that took my breath away or something. I was swiping through the pages of apps while trying my hardest to remember the Apple conference on what was new and amazing. "Oh right, It has a crazy processor and is super fast...Why should I care about this?" I thought
During this time I was thinking about how both my wife and I managed to skip the 4s and even when the 5 came out we didn't take the leap and honestly...I feel fine. Im completely out of contract with AT&T and I have a perfectly fine iPhone4. Plus now I dont have to shell out $400+ and resign my contract. Its so strange to think that I was planning this purchase like it was a bill I had to pay.

So as I was leaving the store I felt an overwhelming sense of calm wash over me and I told myself the same thing I have been telling myself for the past year and a half:
"Just wait for the 6"

Magnus

Chef, I totally respect your decision above, but as someone who just upped from a 4 at no small personal expense, god is it ever a true night and day difference.

If you use your phone as often as I do - 2-3 hours a day - the performance improvements, increased speed, LTE, larger screen, incredible camera - it's all so worth it. The device is a pure pleasure, a real wonder.

All that said, yeah, I don't take anything for granted and the 4 was still doing me right to this day. I'm still marvelling at smart phones in general, almost as much as I did back in 2009. Truly amazing products that fit in our pocket. Models from back then can still get the job done.

Kudos to whoever that Gaffer was that made the thread about trading in his iPhone at Gamestop. I upgraded from a 4S to 5S and was looking into getting the most value with little risk for my 4S. With the current additional 30% promo, GS gave me $350 for my 32GB 4S. That's more than any other place including eBay seems to be paying for them. I also followed another Gaffer tip and put it all towards Amazon gift cards. :D

You're welcome!

(I think it was me; I've certainly talked up trading in iOS devices a bunch, haha)

When I got my 4, I got rid of my 3GS the first week trade-ins were available at Gamestop in Canada; they hadn't figured out their pricing at the time, so I got $230 in credit there for my 16gb. You get tax too, so, if you bought something for $250, you'd only pay tax on the $20 difference. It's great here (where sales tax is 13%).

Sadly they've smartened up a bit and offer less now. My 16gb 4 only yielded $120 ($135 with tax), but that's still a nice chunk off my forthcoming PS4 purchase!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
When did you order?

Also would be great if everyone mentioned that when an order ships. Helps the rest of us either get excited or have our hopes crushed of getting ours any time soon.

Mine shipped this morning. Gold 64gb, ATT.

Ordered it within 10 minutes of site going live. October 10th delivery date.

So if I order a gold 5s online today, it says "ship by October".

Whenabouts in October are we talking about here? It seems like 2 weeks is about the norm so far, right..?

If I buy a 5s and remove my line with it's unlimited plan from my dad's family plan to have my own account at&t wont fuck me right? I want my unlimited datas.

I'm pretty sure they would make you sign up for a standard plan, rather than a grandfathered plan. They'll call it a new account and only transfer the number.

Magnus

Any cheap alternatives to Apples Lightning cable/adapter or should I just shell out the $30? Barf.

By virtue of the Juice Pack case I just got for mine, I can now effectively charge my phone via the pass through port with a Mini USB cable. Great byproduct!

I imagine I'll still need to use the Lightning for USB transfer though. Haven't tested it

entremet

Is this still a problem? Apple store near me had a bunch of every color :/

I have been rocking a 4 since...well when it came out. Yesterday I went to get a 5s. I picked it up and came to a shocking realization.....its just an iPhone 5. It looks the same, feels the same weights nothing. I dont know what I expected honestly. Some dazzling new phone that took my breath away or something. I was swiping through the pages of apps while trying my hardest to remember the Apple conference on what was new and amazing. "Oh right, It has a crazy processor and is super fast...Why should I care about this?" I thought
During this time I was thinking about how both my wife and I managed to skip the 4s and even when the 5 came out we didn't take the leap and honestly...I feel fine. Im completely out of contract with AT&T and I have a perfectly fine iPhone4. Plus now I dont have to shell out $400+ and resign my contract. Its so strange to think that I was planning this purchase like it was a bill I had to pay.

So as I was leaving the store I felt an overwhelming sense of calm wash over me and I told myself the same thing I have been telling myself for the past year and a half:
"Just wait for the 6"

Nope. They're still unavailable for pick up where I am.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm pretty sure they would make you sign up for a standard plan, rather than a grandfathered plan. They'll call it a new account and only transfer the number.

Hm, I might need to switch to Verizon then. :(

Does anyone know why the 4gb share everything plan is $110 on apple.com and $80 on verizonwireless.com?
Edit: Nevermind. +40$ for smartphone access totaling $110.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
checked my level today. It's way off. Actually my officemate also has a 5s but his was no nearly as far off as mine.

Mine is 5 degrees off his was 3.

MThanded

This phone is super fast and sleek. It makes my old 4S feel like a brick in comparison. And going to LTE is great, too. I actually get better reception in areas that were spotty on 3G, so LTE coverage seems to be better where I use it. Speeds vary by location of course, but I've gotten Speedtest results of up to 40Mbps down on LTE. Pages that used to take a while to load on the 4S come up almost instantly on the 5S.

I ordered the 64GB Space Grey online with AT&T and got it in less than 2 weeks. But I ordered my wife a 64GB Gold and it's estimated to ship around end of October. I placed my orders late on launch day.
How do you get 30% extra trade in credit?

online it says only for preorders or something?

How do you get 30% extra trade in credit?

online it says only for preorders or something?

Just preorder anything by putting $5 down on BF4 or something in the same transaction. That'll kick in the 30% extra for ALL of your credit, and then you can use it to buy anything you want. I did it on Tuesday.

Just preorder anything by putting $5 down on BF4 or something in the same transaction. That'll kick in the 30% extra for ALL of your credit, and then you can use it to buy anything you want. I did it on Tuesday.

Confirmed. I put down money for SM3DW yesterday and then got $375 in Amazon gift cards. EDIT: Also, they only had "Kindle" gift cards and the clerk told me they were only good for Kindle stuff, but they work on pretty much anything on Amazon.

MThanded

Confirmed. I put down money for SM3DW yesterday and then got $375 in Amazon gift cards. EDIT: Also, they only had "Kindle" gift cards and the clerk told me they were only good for Kindle stuff, but they work on pretty much anything on Amazon.
Really wow...

OK will try tonight.

DMczaf

Are there any limits to Kindle gift cards? Can I use the credit towards electronics as well?

MThanded

Grabbed 250 in gift cards for my sprint 32 gb 4s. Thats 70 dollars more than best buy and 100 dollars more than gazelle.

Putting it all towards dat ps4 preorder. Awwww yissss.

Thanks GAFBros.
Are there any limits to Kindle gift cards? Can I use the credit towards electronics as well?
Kindle Giftcards are just amazon giftcards with kindle branding.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Grabbed 250 in gift cards for my sprint 32 gb 4s. Thats 70 dollars more than best buy and 100 dollars more than gazelle.

Thanks GAFBros.

They offer cash for 50$ less right?

mojiimbo

Thanks GAFBros.

Did you just put down like $5 on one of the promo games and then cash the rest out in Amazon cards? I have a launch PS4 bundle already preordered on Amazon but I'm not sure if they're able to retroactively change the payment method to gift card balance without cancelling the order. :-/

Did you just put down like $5 on one of the promo games and then cash the rest out in Amazon cards? I have a launch PS4 bundle already preordered on Amazon but I'm not sure if they're able to retroactively change the payment method to gift card balance without cancelling the order. :-/
You can add gift card credit to an existing order. Just click on it from your Order History page.

Deku Tree

I think I'm gonna sell my 4S at gamestop soon.

In other news my 5S level is off by one degree.

Not huge but I would no longer use it to level a picture on the wall or hang a TV. The level on my old 4S and my wife's 5 were spot on all the time. It is disappointing.

DMczaf

Thanks GAFBros.

Nice! I'll be sure to go to Gamestop when my 5S gets here (one day....)

Top Bottom