• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Are there any limits to Kindle gift cards? Can I use the credit towards electronics as well?

From what I recall, Kindle gift cards are the same as the normal Amazon cards, just with different branding on them but they go into the same bank as any Amazon gift card. Kind of like how Apple sells "iTunes", "App Store", and "iBooks" gift cards, but they are good for anything digital Apple sells.

CF22

Wow at the GameStop trade in. I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to a Space Grey 5S yesterday. GameStop offers $378 and the 30% is an extra $113, in total I'm elegible for $491 in store credit which I'll use to pay off my PS4 pre-order. IPhones are turning out to be a pretty good investment.

Bitchass Verizon. Ordered by phone and they kept pushing for that $50 "starter pack" or whatever they call it (the one with the case, charger, whatever). I told them no repeatedly, after them saying my "total" for a 16GB was $250 with contract (was supposed to be $200) I called them out on it again. Then they ship it yesterday and they charge me the $250 anyway.

I was all set to trade my 4S in to Verizon but the Gamestop deal is too tempting, especially if I can cash out on Amazon gift cards. I'll stop by my local Gamestop tomorrow and check it out.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Did you just put down like $5 on one of the promo games and then cash the rest out in Amazon cards? I have a launch PS4 bundle already preordered on Amazon but I'm not sure if they're able to retroactively change the payment method to gift card balance without cancelling the order. :-/
You can change payment method or add gift cards all the way up until something is about to ship.

Cloudy

Banned
Wow at the GameStop trade in. I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to a Space Grey 5S yesterday. GameStop offers $378 and the 30% is an extra $113, in total I'm elegible for $491 in store credit which I'll use to pay off my PS4 pre-order. IPhones are turning out to be a pretty good investment.

Ugh why didn't I know about this? Sold mine on ebay for $370 minus their outrageous fees

Deku Tree

I got $327 in store credit for my white AT&T 64GB 4S.
I put $27 on Mario 3D World Wii U.
And I bought six $50 Amazon gift cards.

So I used my iPhone 4S for two years for $72 bucks plus contract not including inflation. (It originally cost $399.)

I consider that to be a very sweet deal.

Blackhead

Redarse
I got $327 in store credit for my white AT&T 64GB 4S.
I put $27 on Mario 3D World Wii U.
And I bought six $50 Amazon gift cards.

So I used my iPhone 4S for two years for $72 bucks plus contract not including inflation. (It originally cost $399.)

I consider that to be a very sweet deal.

"plus contract"

Oppo

checked my level today. It's way off. Actually my officemate also has a 5s but his was no nearly as far off as mine.

Mine is 5 degrees off his was 3.

Keep in mind that any sort of urban environment is replete with conflicting fields that vary by the millimeter... I had concerns too, but I was way out of town this past weekend, and I took a moment to compare the reading on the compass app to my old school Suunto global compass, and they were bang on with each other. For what it's worth.

Level should be easy to verify with any old bubble level, I would think. Of course that's not exactly decimal-accurate but good enough till now ;)

So I am going to upgrade to my first real smartphone next week and I'm really undecided. I am not sure if I would like the Apple iPhone 5S or the Samsung Galaxy S4. I have played around with both but nothing more than playing with them in the store and occasionally using a friend's phone. I know this is an Apple thread but I would like to know honest opinions about the pros and cons and each and why you ended up going with what you did.

For reference I don't use any other Apple products other than an iPod so there is no ecosystem really this phone will be joining.

So I am going to upgrade to my first real smartphone next week and I'm really undecided. I am not sure if I would like the Apple iPhone 5S or the Samsung Galaxy S4. I have played around with both but nothing more than playing with them in the store and occasionally using a friend's phone. I know this is an Apple thread but I would like to know honest opinions about the pros and cons and each and why you ended up going with what you did.

For reference I don't use any other Apple products other than an iPod so there is no ecosystem really this phone will be joining.
Get the GS4. Newer, more robust OS, bigger ecosystem, more freedom if you want to use it (but you don't have to), expandable storage, better screen, better battery life, removable battery, and it even comes with better earbuds!

Vyer

What kind of features would you like to use, what kind of things are you looking to do with your phone?

Husker86

The biggest thing for a new user is seriously the size of the screen. If you want a bigger screen, get the GS4; if you like smaller, go 5s.

For what it's worth, I have both the GS4 and the 5s and I use my GS4 more. I am heavily into Google services though (not necessarily monetarily, but Google is my provider for most of my connected life).

What kind of features would you like to use, what kind of things are you looking to do with your phone?

Well besides calling I would mainly use it for texting, internet browsing and as a MP3 player. I will also from time to time use it as a GPS but I'm not too concerned about that feature.

Thanks to everybody that responded so far.

LCfiner

I think it’s funny that the first response you got from this question in this thread was from a staunch Android supporter. Oh Gaf.

do you have any idea what would be important to you?

screen size? if you want huge screen, go android.

quality of apps? and greatest selection of apps and games? get ios.

easiest experience with less setup possibilities. get ios.

do you want to tweak and adjust things? do you think you may ever want to change a system keyboard or customize a home screen to show both apps and widgets? get android.

do you want the best built hardware? get the 5S.

do you want replaceable batteries? get an android.

and so on and so on.

Vyer

Well besides calling I would mainly use it for texting, internet browsing and as a MP3 player. I will also from time to time use it as a GPS but I'm not too concerned about that feature.

Thanks to everybody that responded so far.

If that's your main criteria it's pretty open. Screen size preference would be a big factor. I am a fan of iOS' media/music capabilities with iTunes Match for example and having a wide range of apps that give you access to just about every streaming service out there. But since you are starting fresh it's pretty much a clean start no matter which way you go.

I'd also check out LC's list above for some other good criteria to consider.

RDreamer

How is the call/audio quality for 5s? I hated the quality on the iphone 4, has it improved since then? My Focus had the best call quality for me so far.

That's probably one of my favorite things from the upgrade from my 4. I couldn't hear jack shit with my 4, and now everything's loud and clear on the 5s.

Sailor

Screen_Shot_2013_10_04_at_3_11_23_PM.png

So you're telling me I can just walk into Gamestop with my 4S (without the power charger or anything), hand it to them with the quote, ask for the 30% promotion, and get $330 in store credit?

What else can I do with that credit. Someone mentioned something about Amazon GC's?Didn't even know Gamestop stocked those.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got my Space Gray 64GB iPhone 5S Yesterday.

It is awesome!

Only problem I had was that the backup from my 4S didn't put everything on the 5S. Hell I couldn't even find purchased apps, the list was empty. I had to connect my iPhone 5S to the computer and get the purchased apps through iTunes.

Is there any way to transfer my Ghost Trick save to the new phone? Still have to finish the game.

Also holy fuck are the thunderbolt cables still expensive.

Rocket786

I can't seem to find where I get a quote for my iPhone on Gamestop's site. Anyone have a link? Maybe I'm just blind. I have a 16gb white Sprint 4s.

Edit: Just found it. $200 for my phone, plus 30%... So you guys are telling me I'd get $260 for my phone if I put $5 towards Watch Dogs for my PS4? I can use that $260 on Amazon gift cards? Sounds like a pretty awesome deal to me!

Bungie's

Screen_Shot_2013_10_04_at_3_11_23_PM.png

So you're telling me I can just walk into Gamestop with my 4S (without the power charger or anything), hand it to them with the quote, ask for the 30% promotion, and get $330 in store credit?

What else can I do with that credit. Someone mentioned something about Amazon GC's?Didn't even know Gamestop stocked those.
If it's like new then yes.
Values dropped a few days ago, Att iphone 5 16gb was $427.

They also sell shell gas gift cards.

n64coder

Was browsing the aiowireless.com site (prepaid ATT) and noticed that they now have the 5S for sale in the shop. Only the 16GB variety and surprisingly, gold/silver were in stock but gray was out of stock.

Sailor

If it's like new then yes.
Values dropped a few days ago, Att iphone 5 16gb was $427.

They also sell shell gas gift cards.

Darn, wish I eyed this thread earlier. Do I have to put $5 down for an upcoming game though? Not really into the gaming scene anymore haha.

Cyklops

Neo Member
How long does the gold 5s take to ship out on an average? I ordered mine last week through the UK store, and it's still processing items. =(

plastik

I can't seem to find where I get a quote for my iPhone on Gamestop's site. Anyone have a link? Maybe I'm just blind. I have a 16gb white Sprint 4s.

Edit: Just found it. $200 for my phone, plus 30%... So you guys are telling me I'd get $260 for my phone if I put $5 towards Watch Dogs for my PS4? I can use that $260 on Amazon gift cards? Sounds like a pretty awesome deal to me!

My 64GB is only worth $20 more. Got $280 for mine. Used it on $250 of Amazon gift cards, the 2 games for $10 deal, and spent the rest on their pro rewards program. The Amazon cards were available in $50 increments.

First shipment of 5S definitely has superior image quality. Better saturation better colors etc... My 2nd 5S is going back to Apple store. Hopefully they have one from LG.

Synless

God I love this phone. People can hate all day about Apples's sets, but these things are quality. Coming off the 4s I am extremely impressed.

RkOwnage

How easy is it to create custom ringtones in iOS7? Can you create text notifications as well? I've had an Android and have become very used to my "Pokemon Level up" text tone on my old device.

Just curious, if anyone could point me in the direction of tutorials or anything helpful, I'd be most appreciative.

Quick

Banned
How easy is it to create custom ringtones in iOS7? Can you create text notifications as well? I've had an Android and have become very used to my "Pokemon Level up" text tone on my old device.

Just curious, if anyone could point me in the direction of tutorials or anything helpful, I'd be most appreciative.

Step 1: Find the tone you want. As long as it's compatible with iTunes, it's good.

Step 2 (optional): Trim the track down to 30 seconds maximum if it isn't already 30 seconds or less.

Step 3 (optional): Check your import settings under Preferences. Be sure it's AAC.

Step 3: Right click > "Create AAC version".

Step 4: Right click > Show in Finder/Show in Windows Explorer

Step 5: Change the file type from .m4a to .m4r. Get Info > Name & Extension (Mac), Change view setting to view file extension > right click to rename > change the file type (Windows)

Step 6: Re-import to iTunes, and you're done.

Step 1: Find the tone you want. As long as it's compatible with iTunes, it's good.

Step 2 (optional): Trim the track down to 30 seconds maximum.

Step 3 (optional): Check your import settings under Preferences. Be sure it's AAC.

Step 3: Right click > "Create AAC version".

Step 4: Right click > Show in Finder/Show in Windows Explorer

Step 5: Change the file type from .m4a to .m4r. Get Info > Name & Extension (Mac), Change view setting to view file extension > right click to rename > change the file type (Windows)

Step 6: Re-import to iTunes, and you're done.

Or if you have a Mac, the app called Ringtones does this but with like 2 steps.

Vyer

GarageBand is probably the easiest way.

I found this on how to create them using iTunes.
http://m.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-make-ringtones-for-iphone/

Cr0wn0

I have a S3 and a 5S, bought the S3 a little over a year ago and honestly I liked it but I never loved it. Android is great its maturing, I love how I can customize nearly everything about it. At the end of the day I love my iPhone. It feels great and I kind of like the smaller screen size. I don't think you can wrong with either, look at what you need and then base it off that.

If you do go android I would go with a Nexus device personally. I hated that when ever android update got released it would take months and months to get it if we ever did.

Top Bottom