• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

mrkgoo

Any pics of the different screens?

I got it exchanged for manufacturers defect, but the colors were just fucking outstanding. You'll know when you see it. Now everything looks bleak. This 2nd 5S has worse contrast ratio. The difference is appalling just by comparing it with display models. I have to return this phone because of compass and level issues so hopefully I get a better one next time!

This was expected since Apple is using 3 different companies to manufacture 5S's LCDs: LG, Sharp and Japan Display.

Deku Tree

When I sold my 4S gamestop insisted on giving me back my old SIM.
What should I do with my old AT&T SIM?
It seems like it is kind if useless now...

TheZink

Thoughts on sensorgate?
I checked mine and it's zero on its side and standing up. Laying flat it's +1. So mine seems pretty accurate. Got it launch day.

I used a app called handy level and it says I'm 0.7 off on the side. I guess I should be happy it's not as bad as most people. My wife's iPhone 5 is 0.2 on the side.

Vyer

I just checked mine and it doesn't appear to be off.

It's most definitely a hardware issue. I'm not much of an ios gamer but this is pretty bad for the compass and other things. What does this mean for GPS?

As far as games go, it's probably going to depend on the game. I mean if you look at the link (ugh for making me click on Gizmodo), they used a level to put the phone even on a flat surface for that racing game. Most people could probably compensate (and do) when you've got the phone in your hands. The wider a range that it's off of course and it could be a problem.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hope eventually they build a fingerprint sensor into the trackpad on the MacBook's. I rarely have to enter my password on my phone, but damn is it annoying that I am always typing it on my computer. At least for logging in.

Also, Virgin's website ran out of both the 5C and 5S in 16GB models and all colors. Wow, they sold fast. Still deciding which one I want to replace my 4S with eventually. The C's color choices are tempting, but the S' $100 more for much better specs, speed and the fingerprint sensor are just too much more tempting. (If it were $200 less I'd probably definitely go C.)

rbanke

Finally getting my & my wife's 5s's today. I'm going to order a case for my wife's and up until now have always used OtterBox Commuter cases because they are lightweight and slim however the last few I've bought from them have had pretty bad quality & fit compared to how they used to be so I'm looking elsewhere. Can anyone recommend a similar or smaller case from somewhere else?

I am having trouble getting Google Exchange to sync on my phone. I cannot seem to access my mail or contact list. I thought I had set everything up right too... anyone know what's up?

I am having trouble getting Google Exchange to sync on my phone. I cannot seem to access my mail or contact list. I thought I had set everything up right too... anyone know what's up?

They stopped allowing new access earlier this year. Google wants you to use the Gmail app so they can serve you ads now.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Exchange sync is disabled for Gmail on new devices. Search my post history for a workaround using a proxy email like your iCloud account in the mail app to still get push Gmail through. I'm on mobile so I can't find it myself, I think I posted it in this very thread last week, and once back in May in the iPhone 5 thread.

Synless

I knew something was wrong! I had all my contacts in exchange because iCloud wouldn't back them up on my previous phone and when I got the 5s suddenly I had no contacts. Now I see why, is there a way to get my gmail exchange contacts anymore?

Exchange sync is disabled for Gmail on new devices. Search my post history for a workaround using a proxy email like your iCloud account in the mail app to still get push Gmail through. I'm on mobile so I can't find it myself, I think I posted it in this very thread last week, and once back in May in the iPhone 5 thread.

Thanks, time to do some digging.

This is terrible, loved the convenience of having it all synced to Google. I don't want to use a separate app. :/

Gmail Push is not available for new iOS devices any longer, unless you have a paid Google Apps account (e.g. Google Apps for Business - and it's $5 per user per month or $50/user/yearly).

There are however some work-arounds one could use.

- Use the native "Gmail" app to solely push notifications but also set up your Gmail in the native iOS Mail client and use it to handle your emails (this would require you to have the Gmail app installed, not ideal).

The below method however is what I use on my iPad:

- Set-up auto-forwarding from your Gmail to another Email that supports push (e.g. your iCloud email). This will push all your emails seamlessly to your device. If you set up your Gmail in the native iOS Mail client in addition you can utilize your gmail.com address while using the iCloud account to reply to emails.

1. Go to Gmail web interface, then to Settings -> Forward Account and add your iCloud email to forward all your emails to. I also chose to mark emails forwarded to read, since I don't use the web interface much.
  2. Setup Gmail on your iPhone like you normally would (skip if it's already on there). But under Settings, do not have it sync emails.
  3. Setup your iCloud account to send using your Gmail address.
  4. Setting -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> iCloud -> Account -> Advanced Mail -> outgoing mail server -> TURN iCloud SMTP server OFF and turn other SMTP servers on, choosing your smtp.gmail.com settings associated to the appropriate gmail account. HIT DONE.

A few things about this setup... When you go to reply to a message, it will show as if it's sending from your iCloud account, it does not. It is just using the settings you just set that are associated with the iCloud account.

This only works if you don't really use your iCloud account and you only need to reply via one Gmail account. I had several Gmail accounts, but only respond from one, so this is not a big issue for myself.

This tactic shouldn't be limited to using an iCloud account however and should be possible with other types like Outlook.com as well.

I followed these tips and got the forwarding Gmail to iCloud push e-mail to work.
However, I cannot seem to get mails sent from my iPhone using iCloud mail to show as it is being from my Gmail address even though I put the outgoing mail server as smtp.gmail.com. Under "allow sending from" it shows my icloud.com and me.com e-mails.

I have only tested this by sending an e-mail from my phone using iCloud to my Gmail by the way, but when I log into my computer to check my Gmail it shows the from address as XXXXXXXXXX@icloud.com, and not my Gmail address which I wanted.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong here? :S

Also, for contacts, calendar, and notes, do you guys just fetch those from Google, or have you all switched to iCloud only for those?

Husker86

I knew something was wrong! I had all my contacts in exchange because iCloud wouldn't back them up on my previous phone and when I got the 5s suddenly I had no contacts. Now I see why, is there a way to get my gmail exchange contacts anymore?

Just add the account as a Google or Gmail account...that's one of the options in the new account list. It works just fine for contacts and mail. I disable notifications on stock mail app and use Gmail app for push notifications. Haven't had an issue at all yet.

Use CalDav for calendar sync.

They stopped allowing new access earlier this year. Google wants you to use the Gmail app so they can serve you ads now.

Or they figured paying Microsoft for all the free users was a waste when CalDav/CardDav and the built in Gmail account type works fine.

They didn't restrict you to using the credit towards a PS4 or XB1? Amazon credit would be more useful but this new promo isn't bad either.

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/30-trade
Sorry for late reply. Really wish we could have the "Who quoted you" feature back. You may have already gleaned an answer to your question from other posts since then. But in my case, all I did was put some of the credit toward the cheapest preowned game I could find on the shelf which was a $2 copy of Rock Band. The rest went toward Amazon cards. Also, I forgot to mention I got an extra 10% for buying a 1yr PowerUp Pro membership. It's $15 for the membership, but it pays for itself instantly with the extra 10% credit on $300+ trade-in value. So, it's like GS paid me $15 to give me a Pro membership.

Synless

Just add the account as a Google or Gmail account...that's one of the options in the new account list. It works just fine for contacts and mail. I disable notifications on stock mail app and use Gmail app for push notifications. Haven't had an issue at all yet.

Use CalDav for calendar sync.

Or they figured paying Microsoft for all the free users was a waste when CalDav/CardDav and the built in Gmail account type works fine.
Oh thanks that worked! Hey, is there a way to somehow get these contacts to save to iCloud now? I have been trying to find a way and I don't see any options.

I doubt they'd do replacements since they probably don't have that kind of inventory but they have to take the phones back for re-calibration.

I wonder if it's possible for an iOS update to recalibrate or at least buffer the difference so it shows level again.

How long does the gold 5s take to ship out on an average? I ordered mine last week through the UK store, and it's still processing items. =(

No idea about the 5S but back when I ordered an 5 black about a month after it came out I had to wait about 4 weeks for one.

Iacobellis

Also much better color reproduction. Colors on a 4S screen can look very drab and faded compared to the vivid 5/5S screen.

The screen is also closer to the glass, if I remember correctly. It freaks me out on my rMBP because I keep thinking specks of dust are under the screen.

FatCat

Anyone know when the second wave of countries will receive the 5S? No news for Switzerland AFAIK. At this rate it won't be before end of the month.

Cheech

I followed these tips and got the forwarding Gmail to iCloud push e-mail to work.
However, I cannot seem to get mails sent from my iPhone using iCloud mail to show as it is being from my Gmail address even though I put the outgoing mail server as smtp.gmail.com. Under "allow sending from" it shows my icloud.com and me.com e-mails.

I have only tested this by sending an e-mail from my phone using iCloud to my Gmail by the way, but when I log into my computer to check my Gmail it shows the from address as XXXXXXXXXX@icloud.com, and not my Gmail address which I wanted.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong here? :S
?

IN THEORY, you should be able to just use SMTP.gmail.com to send emails, and iCloud to receive. IN THEORY. I'm not sure if it's a gmail issue or an ISP issue, but I've never gotten it to work. Either I get an error message on my iOS device that says "can't send email", or the email sends, then literally vanishes into the ether.

What I've been doing is keeping gmail as my primary, but not actually using it. I forward all my mail to iCloud, and just reply from iCloud. Nobody's gotten confused yet or asked about it, so all good!

If the built-in account type is so great, why can't it do push? Google knows it doesn't, and their solution is to use a whole separate app that was recently discovered to have ad-serving code in it. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. If they were worried about cost, they'd have come up with a better solution than just cutting off users entirely.

bionic77

My 32 gig black 5S shipped. I ordered last Tuesday morning. Supposed to be here by Thursday.

So looks like less than a week time to ship. At least for this color and size.

bionic77

If Apple goes to the bigger screen why can't they also give us a smaller option as well? That way everyone is happy.

I really hope they keep a smaller phone if they do decide to introduce a bigger sized phone.

If they go with a bigger size it also seems like they have officially run out of ideas on what else to add to their phone, at least in terms of hardware.

Top Bottom