• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

You already couldn't do anything on a touch screen with gloves on! Unless they're those special gloves that nobody has. Is that different on Windows phone?
You can change the sensitivity of the touch screen to high, which lets you use gloves. I don't know if all windows phone have this though.

not gonna get into audiophile territory here because ogg might be better,

but i'll say .flac is widely available, whereas ogg is that file extension that makes you scratch your head and google it, like oh yeah..ogg now i remember

Tbh, I don't know many sites providing lossless music in .flac, but if they do there will also be .ogg like in bandcamp.
You won't hear a damn difference between most .aac / .ogg filed music tracks and lossless tracks. Furthermore, you will save more storage space with .aac / .ogg and more importantly you will save battery time.

Additionally, the audio quality is depending on the hardware itself and the iPhones are really good in that department. IIRC, the iPhone 4S is still the king for audio.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How does it compare then? They don't really make it clear enough. I have no idea what 1.5 u pixels are.

ok, long story short... "output" megapixels basically matter for what medium you are going to. Large print? Poster-size? etc. The more megapixels an image, the larger print you can make with it still looking good.

sensor size and size of pixels on the sensor matter basically for the QUALITY of the "input" pixels so to speak. Larger pixels on the sensor mean they take in more available light. This means:

more accurate color information recorded
better low light performance

aka, a better looking picture.

What apple did here was increase the quality of the image without actually increasing the output size of the image.

In all honesty, most people will care more about what apple did here than actually increasing megapixel count. The result here "should" be a better looking picture, which is a plus to everyone. By improving megapixels in the image result, it basically benefits croppers (who should all be shot anyway) and people looking for large prints from their photos (who are unlikely to be using a phone's camera in the first place). So basically higher megapixel count benefits croppers and that's it. Better sensor hardware instead benefits everyone.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
im aware of that link without clicking it and it is flawed in many ways, which is a diff thread, where i already explained why

It's just one example of a study.

If you have any studies suggesting the opposite (that there's a clear distinction between FLAC and high-quality encoded mp3s for many/most people) then I'd love to see it.

Vire

oPmaamC.png

:lolz

codhand

are you asking if they went back to 3.5” sadly, no.

@codhand. just search app store for flac and there’s apps that play them for iOS. it’s not a plugin for the music player. it’d be an alternate music player.

some apps also have better EQ implementations than the subpar EQ for the default iOS music app

cool, i will check it out on the ipad.

It's just one example of a study.

If you have any studies suggesting the opposite (that there's a clear distinction between FLAC and high-quality encoded mp3s for many/most people) then I'd love to see it.

i'm talking about me though, i'm one of those rare people who cares i guess, i dont care about the average listeners ears, you see, because im not the average listener. the thing people like about droid, is that they are unrestricted by things like artificial memory constraints or file extension support. i'm getting that file support is an oversight on my part, so i'll check out a flac app and see

im not an audiophile or expert, but i do produce, and can tell between 320 and flac, though im ok with 320, im not ok with not having options

Apath

I'm disappointed in what they've shown, but I've had my 4 for so long Ill probably end up getting the 5S anyway. I just don't think I have it in me to hold out another year for the 6.

X-Frame

For myself with an iPhone 5 and who renewed my contract with AT&T on the iPhone 5's launch day, how does Apple's trade-in iPhone program affect me?

Will I have to pay the full unlocked price for an iPhone 5S?

Figcoinc

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I knew they would not do it; all I wanted was a bigger iPhone. Not elongated like the 5, but something similar in size of the Galaxy series. Call it iPhoneXL or whatever.

I actually like he iphone overall, but I have fairly big hands. So the Galaxy series phones just feel better. I still have my 4s, and happy with it. When the 5s drops I will check it out, but honestly I may wait or even switch to android.

It is just that I really like iOS over android when it comes to the operating system. Just a preference. Nothing more. I am sure I'll like iOS7 a lot too.

Give me the reasons that 5S is worth the extra 100 dollars from the 5C

Please :)

Non plastic frame, 5S uses glass and coated allumilium
A7 processor, going by apple graphs the jump in power over the A6 in the iphone 5 and 5C is rather chunky.
Seems to have a slightly better battery life in stand-by and call time.
Updates to cameras and a finger scanner button.

That's... about it

codhand

industry standard lossy formats? Check.
widely available lossless format? Check.

Sorry that all of your pirated downloads aren't conveniently supported. Oh well.

two for i cant tell a difference,
one for piracy

awesome.

Tbh, I don't know many sites providing lossless music in .flac, but if they do there will also be .ogg like in bandcamp.
You won't hear a damn difference between most .aac / .ogg filed music tracks and lossless tracks. Furthermore, you will save more storage space with .aac / .ogg and more importantly you will save battery time.

i get that, especially for batt life, makes sense,

but im saying at least for storage, at 80gbs, not really a concern...

RDreamer

Bah, I guess it was dumb to hope the 32 would be $200 on contract. Don't feel like spending an extra $100 bucks, but I also don't feel like losing half my memory. I may be able to get away with that, though, since I stream from iTunes match, and that accounts for a good bunch of my storage.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So guys tell me.

I have an iPhone 3GS. Haven't bought a new one cause it does what I use it for fine (a few apps, internet, phone). The camera on the 3GS is probably quite crap, but that's not a huge deal, I rarely takes photos except on vacation.

Is there anything that could make me want to upgrade?

I actually kind of like Sony's clip-on camera, but it's very expensive.

codhand

Bah, I guess it was dumb to hope the 32 would be $200 on contract. Don't feel like spending an extra $100 bucks, but I also don't feel like losing half my memory.

upsetting. and see, and that's really the rub. pay more, get less memory. i had a 40gb black and white ipod in 2003!

please dont tell me about icloud.....

apple need more options for their users, whether you like flac, hate it, think it's for pirates, some people want it, just like some people care about a gold color, or biometrics

can i drag and drop my flac files into one of these apple flac apps via my computer?

So guys tell me.

I have an iPhone 3GS. Haven't bought a new one cause it does what I use it for fine (a few apps, internet, phone). The camera on the 3GS is probably quite crap, but that's not a huge deal, I rarely takes photos except on vacation.

Going from a 3gs to a 5s is going to be mind blowing for you.

Ambitious

Of course I didn't expect a new design for a S cycle phone, but I'm still bothered by the black/white bars on the top and bottom of the back side. Why didn't they make the whole back gray/silver/gold?

Blackhead

Redarse
Well sure I could be wrong and you have golden ears. But plenty of studies and blind tests have been performed (ex: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/06/concluding-the-great-mp3-bitrate-experiment.html ) that show that most people can't tell the difference between those formats. Odds are that you fall into that majority.

Amusing enough, one of the iOS apps that plays flac is named Golden Ear.

*shrug* not that it matters. Android is simply better for those things

RDreamer

So guys tell me.

Christ, how the fuck are you still using a 3GS? I mean I understand being behind the curve (I'm on a 4), but the 3GS? I'm surprised that thing isn't just chugging and crashing constantly. That's what my 3G did near the end, and my 4 is pretty much doing that, too.

Zee-Row

Banned
ok, long story short... "output" megapixels basically matter for what medium you are going to. Large print? Poster-size? etc. The more megapixels an image, the larger print you can make with it still looking good.

sensor size and size of pixels on the sensor matter basically for the QUALITY of the "input" pixels so to speak. Larger pixels on the sensor mean they take in more available light. This means:

more accurate color information recorded
better low light performance

aka, a better looking picture.

What apple did here was increase the quality of the image without actually increasing the output size of the image.

In all honesty, most people will care more about what apple did here than actually increasing megapixel count. The result here "should" be a better looking picture, which is a plus to everyone. By improving megapixels in the image result, it basically benefits croppers (who should all be shot anyway) and people looking for large prints from their photos (who are unlikely to be using a phone's camera in the first place). So basically higher megapixel count benefits croppers and that's it. Better sensor hardware instead benefits everyone.

Good post , i'm starting to get it now.

Fusebox

Banned
Gold one looks sweeter than the mock ups people posted when they announced it as a color, looks kind of titanium, I'm getting a gold one for sure.

Tabris

I don't know why I get my hopes up too much. We know the next game changer feature(s) will be in iPhone6. I'll still upgrade my 5 to 5S as it's easy to sell iPhones and buy new ones for marginal difference.

Plus lining up for 2 hours is actually pretty fun oddly enough.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
cool, i will check it out on the ipad.

i'm talking about me though, i'm one of those rare people who cares i guess, i dont care about the average listeners ears, you see, because im not the average listener. the thing people like about droid, is that they are unrestricted by things like artificial memory constraints or file extension support. i'm getting that file support is an oversight on my part, so i'll check out a flac app and see

im not an audiophile or expert, but i do produce, and can tell between 320 and flac, though im ok with 320, im not ok with not having options

Fair enough. I was just pointing out that most people, even those who truly believe they can tell the difference, simply can't. It's all placebo. It sounds like you're one of the exceptions, so I can understand being annoyed I guess.

In general I was also defending Apple's design decision, not trying to argue that it's a better/worse phone for you. There's a difference.

In regards to the storage issue, I think it's a worse user experience to have to deal with external storage. It wouldn't bother me personally, because I work in tech and software, but for that same reason I think it's a net negative for the masses due to the confusion it can/does introduce. I also firmly believe that carrying around 80 GB of data on a phone is unnecessary for just about everyone. Streaming and "The Cloud" are the future. I carry around my favorite songs and photos (even 16 GB would still give me room for thousands of songs and photos) and anything else I can just get online. The probability of me wanting a picture not already on my phone AND not having access to a network is really, really low.

So guys tell me.

Well you won't be able to get iOS7 on the 3GS so that might be reason enough to at least upgrade to a 4S.

Tabris

Will the fingerprint reader tie into their one-password system (I forgot if that's just in Mavericks or also coming to iOS7) so you can use the fingerprint to equal your master key password?

Is 1GB of RAM really an issue? I know most flagship Android phones are 2GB+, but I don't recall any developers ever complaining that the 5 doesn't have enough RAM. Is iOS just not as much of a memory hog?

I don't think iOS uses as much ram as Android does. iOS is also a lot more aggressive with programs it culls from memory so it can get away with less.

muu

FLAC to ALAC conversion is pretty painless long as you have a decent program to do so. I've done it for years w/ dbpoweramp without as much as a hiccup.

Cheech

Christ, how the fuck are you still using a 3GS? I mean I understand being behind the curve (I'm on a 4), but the 3GS? I'm surprised that thing isn't just chugging and crashing constantly. That's what my 3G did near the end, and my 4 is pretty much doing that, too.

I knew somebody with a 3GS who was having issues. I formatted it, restored it, and it was buzzing along just fine.

It's not the speediest of phones, but gets the job done.

This person just upgraded to a 4S this summer and is beyond thrilled with the upgrade, BTW. Funny thing with her is it's not really a money thing, she just simply does not care about the latest and greatest.

Top Bottom